General Car Talk Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
Uhhh, why do you need a minivan? One baby? Shouldn't the Avant be sufficient?
He loves Minivan.. i thought we all knew that. The kid is just an excuse for him to get his "dream" car
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 5,883 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
He loves Minivan.. i thought we all knew that. The kid is just an excuse for him to get his "dream" car
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
I would honestly try to keep it but can only park 2 cars in the condo parking garage. Still not sure if I want to sell the Avant or Miata for Minivan. Makes a lot more sense to sell the Avant first and keep the Miata until I get the CTR next year.

We will see how it goes!

The new Odyssey just came out so I don't know how good the deals will be. I can always just wait since I don't really "need" it.
i helped my company leased a Sienna SE, currently parked outside my office (white, of course)... and previously Odyssey EXL-Nav. Both of which i have driven extensively.

My advice, i know you didn't ask me ... if payments are similar, which i doubt. Take the Odyssey... While i prefer the looks of the Sienna SE but the whole thing just feels.. laggy, slow and the brake is very very bad... Yes worse than Honda... The infotainment is more difficult to use than Honda...

I can't believe i am endorsing a Minivan to a car guy...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Is it me or do the new BMWs not have the vent blend dial near the center vents? Has it been buried in the HVAC menu?

I always liked that feature. Easy to use, if not confusing at first.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

yah they removed it with the new 5 and put it inside the idrive... which imo defeats the whole purpose.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
someone did this in a GTR last night in the club area of Chicago.

Woman killed in fiery River North crash | abc7chicago.com
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
Is it me or do the new BMWs not have the vent blend dial near the center vents? Has it been buried in the HVAC menu?

I always liked that feature. Easy to use, if not confusing at first.
umm... what does that do again? I uhh... forgot...
Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Your face goes from hot to cold in 0.05 sec while your feet and wherever else stays warm... or vice versa....

it becomes very confusing if you get into the details, especially nowadays with auto climate control and all that. Just pretend it is not there. That is what i do

VentTemperature Stratification
Stratification in the climate control system refers to the mixing of the air temperature at
the outlet vents. Hot, warm or cold air can be adjusted as it comes out of the front or rear
outlet vents no matter what main temperature setting was selected on the IHKA. This is
realized by mixing hot and cold air with the use of blend air flap.
Front stratification refers to the components necessary to adjust the dash outlet vent
temperature to the occupant’s preference. Rear stratification refers to the rear passenger
compartment air delivery vents.
The stratification mixing flaps may be operated mechanically through the use of a
Bowden cable connected to a thumbwheel adjuster mounted on or near the vent.
Most current BMW vehicles adjust the stratification electronically, by means of a system
of air mixing flaps connected to stepper motors, which react to commands depending on
the vent outlet temperature sensor readings and the settings that the occupant dialed in
with the potentiometer thumbwheel adjuster at or near the out let to be adjusted.
Stratification is realized mechanically and electronically:
• Mechanical stratification is through the use of a Bowden cable connected from the
air mixing flap to a thumbwheel adjuster mounted on or near the vent.
• Electronic stratification adjusts the air mixing flaps with the use of stepper motors.
The adjustment is done by manipulating the air mixing flap depending on:
• Thumbwheel and Bowden cable position (mechanical).
• Vent outlet temperature sensor readings .
• Occupant requested settings (Potentiometer position at the thumbwheel adjusters).
• Occupant selected settings on the I Drive CID screen under climate control menu.
Note: In vehicles with CID (E6X or E70) the air stratification can be adjusted
through the I Drive and CID screen at the climate control settings menu
or the short cut buttons.
Operation and Adjustment/Air Distribution
All control modules of the IHKA equipped E70 provide a facility for manually adjusting the
air distribution using "rocker button air distribution" via the controller.
The menu has four default settings and one individually configurable setting at the driver's
side, and three default settings and one individually configurable setting at the front
passenger side. When the rocker button is operated, an "Air distribution" pop-up menu
appears on the control display.
The air stratification (ventilation temperature) can also be adjusted via the controller in this
menu at the same time as the air distribution is being adjusted Air Distribution/Ventilation.
E70 Air Stratification (Ventilation Temperature)
Adjusting the air stratification via the air blending flap adjusts the proportion of cold and
warm air at the ventilation vents. This setting adjusts the ventilation temperature. Only
cold air or warm air flows out of the ventilation vents at the maximum/minimum air blending
flap positions.
The passenger can achieve individual cold/warm air distribution and stratification in the
vehicle at a constant temperature setting using this stratification facility.
The air stratification at the front of the vehicle can only be adjusted via the controller and
is displayed in the CID control menu.
The air stratification at the front can be adjusted separately for the left and right sides with
the IHKA.
The air stratification in the rear can be adjusted using a potentiometer in the rear ventilation
outlet.
The air blending flaps of the IHKA with FKA equipment variant can be controlled separately
using two potentiometers, one in the left rear ventilation outlet, one in the right rear
ventilation outlet. This means that the IHKA with FKA can provide individual 4- zone air
stratification.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 06-26-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Costco (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Cliffs?
The following 2 users liked this post by srika:
oonowindoo (06-26-2017), ttribe (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:59 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Uhhh, why do you need a minivan? One baby? Shouldn't the Avant be sufficient?
i helped my company leased a Sienna SE, currently parked outside my office (white, of course)... and previously Odyssey EXL-Nav. Both of which i have driven extensively.

My advice, i know you didn't ask me ... if payments are similar, which i doubt. Take the Odyssey... While i prefer the looks of the Sienna SE but the whole thing just feels.. laggy, slow and the brake is very very bad... Yes worse than Honda... The infotainment is more difficult to use than Honda...

I can't believe i am endorsing a Minivan to a car guy...
I have two older dogs who needs a stroller too.

So I need to put two strollers with the rear seats up, one giant convertible car seat. So all of us going out for something is pretty tough. The passenger seat gets uncomfy with the car seat in the back.

A minivan would give us so much room for anything. I like minivan as a family car.

We do want to have another kid next year too!

And yes, the new Odyssey is seriously awesome inside and out. Will try to get some quotes this month. I'll be leasing it under my business so there's some discount lol
Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by srika
someone did this in a GTR last night in the club area of Chicago.

Woman killed in fiery River North crash abc7chicago.com
holy shit.... found out I knew the driver of the car from the club scene.... didn't know him well but we were FB friends etc..... he fled the crash scene and then later hung himself.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

So I need to put two strollers with the rear seats up, one giant convertible car seat. So all of us going out for something is pretty tough. The passenger seat gets uncomfy with the car seat in the back.

A minivan would give us so much room for anything. I like minivan as a family car.

And yes, the new Odyssey is seriously awesome inside and out. Will try to get some quotes this month. I'll be leasing it under my business so there's some discount lol
Ford Flex EcoBoost or Explorer Sport.
#EcoBoostZine
TylerT (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM

Meh, we've had three kids and been just fine with a Honda Pilot for the last 14 years.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
#EcoBoostZine
Stop trying to convince him to go Domestic... he is hardcore JDM yo.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Meh, we've had three kids and been just fine with a Honda Pilot for the last 14 years.
I don't have kids and if we have any it's probably only going to be like one and I'm with you. I'd go pilot or whatever over a minivan. I get the sliding doors are super nice, but I still can't drive around in a minivan.
ttribe (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I don't have kids and if we have any it's probably only going to be like one and I'm with you. I'd go pilot or whatever over a minivan. I get the sliding doors are super nice, but I still can't drive around in a minivan.
Why?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Why?
In my case - because lame. I realize they may have superior utility, but good heavens are they ever soul-sucking machines designed by Satan himself to humiliate and emasculate the male car enthusiast. There is no greater evil on Earth than the so-called "mini-van."
kurtatx (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
them V6 vans are pretty stout!
ZOOM! wtf was that!? a van!????
Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
for real tho..
If there was a legit performance minivan.. say Dodge Caravan SRT..
They'd be flying out of the dealerships
Old 06-27-2017, 02:25 PM

DIY LSx swap minivan
Old 06-27-2017, 02:34 PM

I'm serious though..
Even a modest tuner van would spark a lot of interest I'm sure.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
In my case - because lame. I realize they may have superior utility, but good heavens are they ever soul-sucking machines designed by Satan himself to humiliate and emasculate the male car enthusiast. There is no greater evil on Earth than the so-called "mini-van."
My wife fully understands the utility of a minivan, but would rather walk than own one.
Originally Posted by Majofo
for real tho..
I'm serious though..
Even a modest tuner van would spark a lot of interest I'm sure.
How about 1,000hp?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Bisi van is a gimmick.. I think it's a POS tbh.. hype machine.
The AL Honda turbo Oddy was a real performance van.. I heard Toyota did a Sienna-R performance van too.
But those are just one offs. I mean a production van.. a solid performance van.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Team Owner

I fully understand the practicality of a van, especially for family who has more than 1 kid.... the stroller, baby seats, dual sliding doors and all that. and if you need to take your parents out together with the kids, SUV is just not enough.

But driving a van feels like driving my car in full Eco mode.... it's just so irritating
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Compared to the SUV the van is cheaper to buy, insure, and run. All that means is that you toss that savings back into getting something that's the complete opposite. It's not like a Pilot is really all that much better (if at all) in terms of driving dynamics and performance. The new Pilot is a Oddy with a 1in lift and sliding door delete option. Most modern "SUV's" are basically vans without sliding doors. There are plenty of dudes that drive vans because they are a tool to move their brood around and that's about it.

for real tho..
No they wouldn't. Need to realize that 99% of the car buying public are NOT enthusiasts are view cars as appliances to get themselves to and from work. Performance products cost a lot more money and the majority of people aren't going to pay for performance in a van. If your comment were true, the Focus RS would be the best selling Focus which is FAR from the truth.

Many of the performance products on the market today are based on another model in the same family so it's easier to shoehorn more performance into it as a result. A performance van would be a total one off product that would sell in relatively minuscule volumes and the manufacturer would likely lose money on every unit sold.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Team Owner

^ Van is not cheaper to buy, or run... not sure about insurance.

and no, modern SUVs are not a lifted van...
Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Do you have kids or a wife nagging you to get a van? move along
Old 06-27-2017, 03:36 PM

Compared to the SUV the van is cheaper to buy, insure, and run. All that means is that you toss that savings back into getting something that's the complete opposite. It's not like a Pilot is really all that much better (if at all) in terms of driving dynamics and performance. The new Pilot is a Oddy with a 1in lift and sliding door delete option. Most modern "SUV's" are basically vans without sliding doors. There are plenty of dudes that drive vans because they are a tool to move their brood around and that's about it.
You do realize you are arguing with me about a matter of preference, right? Where do you think that's going to end up?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

People buy a Focus because they want to save money.. People buy a Van because the wife needs to haul kids.
It's soul crushing for many dads. Performance enthusiasts or not. There's no option to buy a tricked out performance van.
There's not an option to have what you want and get what you need.. hence.. it'll sell IMO.
Focus RS.. seriously.. I'd rather get a Golf R or STI or CTR. Options.. of which there are none for a van.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM

People buy a Focus because they want to save money.. People buy a Van because the wife needs to haul kids.
It's soul crushing for many dads. Performance enthusiasts or not. There's no option to buy a tricked out performance van.
There's not an option to have what you want and get what you need.. hence.. it'll sell IMO.
Focus RS.. seriously.. I'd rather get a Golf R or STI or CTR. Options.. of which there are none for a van.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:12 PM

ttribe (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

me?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:51 PM

No mang.. Sam..
Old 06-27-2017, 05:53 PM

I meant his opinion doesn't hold weight bc obvs reasons
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by srika
Cliffs?
That knob allows you to fine tune what's coming out of the face vents. I find it really nice during winter. Of course you're freezing your ass off, so you blast the heater. After a while it feels like your face is on fire, even if the vents aren't pointing at you. So that little knob allows you to adjust the face vent temp, without altering overall cabin temp too much.

So to reiterate, with the heat on, you can adjust it so your face is hot, or cool.

I don't even own a BMW, shame on you guys
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 PM

I think the Odyssey is a better choice as well. All new. The Sienna received some nice updates (interior, powertrain) but it's still essentially the same model since 2011. The only reason to really get the Sienna is for AWD, but the run flat tires are trash.

I prefer a minivan too, though the disapproval is understandable. Some people would rather walk than be seen in a minivan.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
DIY LSx swap minivan
Ain't no minivan, but it is a blown LSA under the hood.

Side note: This guy strapped 2 turbos to this bitch, just recently.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Srika, did you ever tell us you had a 288 Evo in your neck of the woods?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
#EcoBoostZine
Originally Posted by kurtatx
I fully understand the practicality of a van, especially for family who has more than 1 kid.... the stroller, baby seats, dual sliding doors and all that. and if you need to take your parents out together with the kids, SUV is just not enough.

But driving a van feels like driving my car in full Eco mode.... it's just so irritating

No they wouldn't. Need to realize that 99% of the car buying public are NOT enthusiasts are view cars as appliances to get themselves to and from work. Performance products cost a lot more money and the majority of people aren't going to pay for performance in a van. If your comment were true, the Focus RS would be the best selling Focus which is FAR from the truth.

Many of the performance products on the market today are based on another model in the same family so it's easier to shoehorn more performance into it as a result. A performance van would be a total one off product that would sell in relatively minuscule volumes and the manufacturer would likely lose money on every unit sold.
^ Van is not cheaper to buy, or run... not sure about insurance.

and no, modern SUVs are not a lifted van...
You do realize you are arguing with me about a matter of preference, right? Where do you think that's going to end up?
Originally Posted by Costco
I think the Odyssey is a better choice as well. All new. The Sienna received some nice updates (interior, powertrain) but it's still essentially the same model since 2011. The only reason to really get the Sienna is for AWD, but the run flat tires are trash.

I prefer a minivan too, though the disapproval is understandable. Some people would rather walk than be seen in a minivan.
In terms of driving experience, I really don't give a shit about how the minivan or SUV drives. It's a family car for the family. Utility is king for me. Losing a man card for driving a van? Okay, I will lose it. LOL

I will have fun in my fun cars. Am I going to track or canyon drive a minivan or fun car? Fun car.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Ain't no minivan, but it is a blown LSA under the hood.

Side note: This guy strapped 2 turbos to this bitch, just recently.

"wanna see how fast my gas gauge needle falls?"

Quick Reply: General Car Talk Discussion Thread