FX35....talk to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009 | 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by charliemike
It might be challenging because of the roofline and the narrow rear doors but I would think that if you put it in long ways and then rotate into position you should be ok.

You're not going to be able to just shove it in there like it would be belted in.
...and mounting our car seat has never been a problem for us with the Murano.

*probably not the best photo angle.

Now, putting this carseat in the Accord is a PITA.
Old 03-17-2009 | 03:43 PM

Congrats.

I like the looks of the last gen (pre-redesign) Murano more than the FX. I've never driven either, but know of two people with the Murano who absolutely love it.
Old 03-17-2009 | 04:29 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Congrats.

Not there yet....but the goalie has been pulled
Old 03-17-2009 | 05:10 PM
The Box

I drove a 04 FX45 and loved it. It was on the stiff end but I'd have to say it was the most "exciting" SUV I've ever driven.....maybe except an 03 X5 4.6iS.
Old 03-17-2009 | 05:20 PM
The Third Ball

I've seen some used Cayennes in the high 20s...just sayin
Old 03-17-2009 | 05:24 PM
The Box

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I'm scared of those things.

Saw one 2 weeks ago, 04 with 54K for $19,990. Dirty carfax, I figured there was something up with that price.
Old 03-17-2009 | 05:28 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
not a chance in hell....I love the Cayenne, but not out of warranty.........
Old 03-17-2009 | 06:12 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd be afraid of any German car out of warranty.
Old 03-17-2009 | 07:42 PM
The Third Ball

I'm with you, thought I'd toss it out there for some reactions.
Old 03-17-2009 | 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CLpower
anyone put a baby seat in the back of an FX? I've been reading that it can be difficult

I have 2 front facing seats in the back whenever I take the kids out in my FX. It takes me 2 minutes to install each of them using the seat belt method. I can install both of the seats to the point where it doesn't budge using considerable about of force. I think the guys that made a previous comment about car seats being difficult may be inexperienced in putting car seats in the FX or in general.....? The rear door swings wide open and give you plenty of access.
Old 03-17-2009 | 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by is300eater
apparently people who don't actually on an FX have more to say...

Scott... you're obviously attracted to this car for a reason... the design of the FX isn't for everybody... and FWIW... I'm glad!!! If it wasn't aesthetically pleasing to your eyes, you wouldn't be considering it... so don't let anyone convince you otherwise... As for performance goes... go test drive one and tell me what you think... most people are NOT disappointed... then again... don't compare it to a GTO either... If you're still interested... let me know... I'll chime in at that point... but you may not like it afterall... so

fyi... the 03's and early 04's (like mine) had a stiffer suspension... so if you test drive an 03... expect that... (and perhaps an earlier 04)
+1
I replaced my 2003 TL-s with my 06 FX35. FX was the only SUV that appealed to me and we just had our first kid right before we purchased it. I found the car aesthetically pleasing and performance was somewhat important to me. My wife wanted to purchase it instantly after she test drove one. You definitely won't be disappointed with performance and you gotta love the stock exhaust tone.

You should really look into buying a 06+ since you will get a better interior and added standard features.

Last edited by Mongolian; 03-17-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2009 | 11:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Scott, there is a good amount of room with the seats down, it is just that the rear window is so curved that you have to stack things at a huge angle to close the hatch. We went to IKEA this weekend and picked up a few small thin boxes that should fit in the back but due to the window angle, we had to fold the seats down. I know my mom has an RX and that can hold a lot more but I still would take the FX any day
Old 03-19-2009 | 11:32 AM

Those harsh angles kill room in so many hatchbacks/SUV. IMO, having a hatchback that can't even carry a few boxes unless the seats are down is useless...or shall I say, "impractical." What's the point of buying something that 'should' have more room and versatility if you can't use it unless you don't have any rear seat passengers and can fold the seats? It defeats one of the main reasons a lot of people consider SUVs and CUVs.
Old 03-19-2009 | 11:55 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Those harsh angles kill room in so many hatchbacks/SUV. IMO, having a hatchback that can't even carry a few boxes unless the seats are down is useless...or shall I say, "impractical." What's the point of buying something that 'should' have more room and versatility if you can't use it unless you don't have any rear seat passengers and can fold the seats? It defeats one of the main reasons a lot of people consider SUVs and CUVs.
we've been able to manage with two coupes for 8 years...that said, my GTO holds basically no more then a set of golf clubs. Any additional space is going to be a HUGE advantage to us

That said, we are still looking at options, and have now thrown the RX into the mix along w/ a used Tahoe
Old 03-19-2009 | 01:42 PM
Drifting

If I knew Seattle were to have the type of winter it did, I think I'd be driving an FX35 instead of a M35.

IMO, it's a great balance of looks, performance and utility. And as someone mentioned earlier, the exhaust note is sweet. Make sure you get the sport package (a quick way to know is the aluminum roof rails instead of black ones).
Old 03-20-2009 | 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

we've been able to manage with two coupes for 8 years...that said, my GTO holds basically no more then a set of golf clubs. Any additional space is going to be a HUGE advantage to us

That said, we are still looking at options, and have now thrown the RX into the mix along w/ a used Tahoe
The RX is a good alternative to the FX/Murano, with the benefit of added brand appeal. We've driven each version of the 2G RX; the RX330 is fairly weak on power but the nearly identical RX350 brings the performance goods as well as the 400h (which brings a heavier pricetag but respectable fuel economy).

Sidenote: Honestly, our Murano purchase was a compromise between the wife and I as she wanted the RX330 and I wanted and FX35.
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:26 AM
on to the next one...

...That said, we are still looking at options, and have now thrown the RX into the mix along w/ a used Tahoe
I think if you enjoy the driving experience at all (and I know you do), the winner here is pretty clear - FX35 Sport. But, of course, I'm biased.
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:40 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

If you're car guy who's used to performance and sporty vehicles (and you are) you will not like the RX350 (not caring for the RX330). It's really well made and well-appointed, and the brand cache is undeniable, but it's truly a car made for girls and normal people.

If it's a car that your SO will mostly drive, then get it, cause she'll love it more than you will.

Last edited by AsianRage; 03-20-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:01 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I have driven 1,000's of miles in both the FX and RX and the RX is perfect for my mom. The ride is super soft and comfy (you have to stay close to the rec speed for exit ramps because it feels like it will flip), the interior is much nicer then the FX with nice leather and wood including a really nice wood/leather wheel, more room usable room IMO and all around great car. Only thing is that it could use a bit more power like others have said and the ride is so so soft.

Oh, Infiniti service sucks. The dealers service centers all look gloomy, they charge for coffee in some, and the service ppl in general just suck. Acura is always so nice and have a great waiting room with coffee and muffins. Lexus does that same but a bit better and both give you loaner cars without charging a fee. Infiniti hates to give them it seems and they charge you 10 bucks for gas or something for ALL people, even if you have a brand new car. I would not expect to pay 60 plus for an FX50S and then have to pay for a loaner

Get test driving
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:14 PM
OG Member

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Oh, Infiniti service sucks. The dealers service centers all look gloomy, they charge for coffee in some, and the service ppl in general just suck. Acura is always so nice and have a great waiting room with coffee and muffins. Lexus does that same but a bit better and both give you loaner cars without charging a fee. Infiniti hates to give them it seems and they charge you 10 bucks for gas or something for ALL people, even if you have a brand new car. I would not expect to pay 60 plus for an FX50S and then have to pay for a loaner

Get test driving
Have you been to every single Infiniti dealer in the United States?

Making a blanket statement about service departments like that makes no sense at all. They are all different. From my experience Infiniti gives out loaners no problem and never makes you pay. They don't even care how many miles your put on the loaner car or how much gas is left in the car. I know, because I used to own a Q.
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrewSRX
Have you been to every single Infiniti dealer in the United States?

Making a blanket statement about service departments like that makes no sense at all. They are all different. From my experience Infiniti gives out loaners no problem and never makes you pay. They don't even care how many miles your put on the loaner car or how much gas is left in the car. I know, because I used to own a Q.
I've had excellent service at the dealership whenever I take it in. Free coffee and water bottles. I always get free loaners for longer services. They never say anything about gas. I brought it in empty and they didn't say a word to me (New G35 sedan). Only problem is that dealerships in general are really expensive.
Old 03-20-2009 | 10:50 PM
I shoot people

I have driven 1,000's of miles in both the FX and RX and the RX is perfect for my mom. The ride is super soft and comfy (you have to stay close to the rec speed for exit ramps because it feels like it will flip), the interior is much nicer then the FX with nice leather and wood including a really nice wood/leather wheel, more room usable room IMO and all around great car. Only thing is that it could use a bit more power like others have said and the ride is so so soft.

Get test driving
that's funny, because I've been to Acura dealerships where they were just kinda "meh"... but I guess it must be the only ones in the whole country that you've never been to.... shit, I've been to Nissan dealerships better than some Acura dealerships... but you wouldn't know anything about that, would you? And I don't even know why that matters in deciding on a car?

I've NEVER had to pay for a loaner btw... they must have not like you
Old 03-20-2009 | 11:08 PM
I shoot people

Get test driving
sorry, I have to apologize for my last comment, I was being an ass... I also read your reply wrong and thought you said Infiniti charged you for a loaner... so I was stfu now
Old 03-21-2009 | 07:18 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Whoa, didnt know I was going to piss so many ppl off. I travel a lot for work and have been to a few dealers in the Carolinas, GA, and three in FL including palm beach where I live. My parents also had a Q a few years ago so we were at the Jersey dealer a lot and they were all pretty much the same. If you check your bill you ARE charged $10 for a loaner in gas/maintenance. I am looking at my service history of this car when the original owner bought it new and it reads "06 C Loan Fuel & Maintenance, 818" and it is 10 bucks. This means it is not just me

Chill out guys, i still love the car but IMO the service is not up to par
Old 03-21-2009 | 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

In general, dealer service can be hit or miss. Service at my home Nissan dealership is more than sub par, echoing the experience of many Nissan owners. However, I had a great service experience at Deland Nissan in Florida while down there on vacation.
Old 03-25-2009 | 11:17 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Any update CLPower? I am eyeing some of the same vehicles and I'm having a very hard time making a decision...