Future of gasoline only cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 01:17 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoRDX
Not "everyone" is too lazy to put out a little effort to get a better deal. Should "everyone" pay asking price for a house because it will put "everyone" on an even playing field?
You are not "getting a deal" by negotiating price. Everyone in the value stream is still making a profit off of your purchase. If you are getting a 10% discount off of MSRP then that MSRP is already inflated 10%.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
1killercls (12-06-2023), civicdrivr (12-07-2023), Sarlacc (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:27 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Not "everyone" is too lazy to put out a little effort to get a better deal. Should "everyone" pay asking price for a house because it will put "everyone" on an even playing field?
It's not laziness. It's what is your time worth. I always put in the time and effort to get better deals. It's annoying, it's frustrating...and if you lease cars it comes around again all too soon. Ordering my Tesla was the easiest and best purchasing experience I ever had. And I never had to set foot in to a dealer or talk to a finance person.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
civicdrivr (12-07-2023), JustMe... (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
You are not "getting a deal" by negotiating price. Everyone in the value stream is still making a profit off of your purchase. If you are getting a 10% discount off of MSRP then that MSRP is already inflated 10%.
Did you read your post before you clicked on Submit Reply??? Isn't 10% off( even an inflated MSRP) better for the consumer than full MSRP? The selling world loves your attitude.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Have you bought a house recently? Most of the houses near me are going above asking, lol
Have not bought a house recently and certainly would never, never, ever, ever pay above asking price. That is what a stupid buyer will do.
I once fell into the stupid trap and purchased a vehicle for the MSRP. The finance guy was licking his chops and rubbing his hands together when I was writing the check while the Shyster sales manager was high fiving his salesman.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

Did you read your post before you clicked on Submit Reply??? Isn't 10% off( even an inflated MSRP) better for the consumer than full MSRP? The selling world loves your attitude.
Not if the MSRP was realistic at being 10% less than it is. The issue is the MSRP system to begin with. It implies a suggestion which it shouldn't be. It should just cost what it costs. You don't negotiate on buying any other big thing from the manufacturer including houses. If you buy a new house from a builder it costs what it costs, there's no negotiation lol.

The whole reason the MSRP system exists is to give people a false sense of accomplishment when in fact, they still got taken to the cleaners.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:11 PM
The Third Ball

Have not bought a house recently and certainly would never, never, ever, ever pay above asking price. That is what a stupid buyer will do.
Guess someone doesn't understand supply and demand in specific markets.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
1killercls (12-06-2023), civicdrivr (12-07-2023), JustMe... (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 03:34 PM

Received 5,937 Likes on 2,928 Posts
Keep it civil, please, everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 03:52 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by ttribe
Keep it civil, please, everyone.
No one has called anyone any names....yet
Old 12-06-2023, 04:14 PM
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Guess someone doesn't understand supply and demand in specific markets.
You guessed wrong (again) The seller loves it when the buyers are fighting amongst themselves to buy their product. You're still gouged a plenty when supply is in the buyer's favor. Have some smarts and be patient. We're talking about cars, houses and big $$ purchases, not food, water and the essentials to keep you alive. Are you one who contributes to the lack of supply with your demand for non essentials? Hmmmm??
Old 12-06-2023, 05:10 PM

No one has called anyone any names....yet
It was preemptive.
1killercls (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 05:22 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
I once fell into the stupid trap and purchased a vehicle for the MSRP. The finance guy was licking his chops and rubbing his hands together when I was writing the check while the Shyster sales manager was high fiving his salesman.
If you want the house, where it's located and it's a slim market, you pay more. That does not make you "Stupid".

RPhilMan1 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:00 AM
The Third Ball

You guessed wrong (again) The seller loves it when the buyers are fighting amongst themselves to buy their product. You're still gouged a plenty when supply is in the buyer's favor. Have some smarts and be patient. We're talking about cars, houses and big $$ purchases, not food, water and the essentials to keep you alive. Are you one who contributes to the lack of supply with your demand for non essentials? Hmmmm??
Come out to Los Angeles and buy a house in a desirable or up and coming area for less than asking. Even a tear down. You won’t. Because there will 3 other buyers right behind you lined up to snag it for more than asking.

You can talk big all you’d like. By all means keep it going. It’s entertaining watching people sink themselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
1killercls (12-07-2023), neuronbob (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:03 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,459 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Why is it always the RDX owners??
The following 3 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
1killercls (12-07-2023), mrmako (12-17-2023), RPhilMan1 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1killercls
If you want the house, where it's located and it's a slim market, you pay more. That does not make you "Stupid".
You're right. That does not make you stupid. It does mean you made a "Stupid" financial decision". We all make stupid financial decisions and we all spend our $$ in different ways.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:37 AM
Racer

Come out to Los Angeles and buy a house in a desirable or up and coming area for less than asking. Even a tear down. You won’t. Because there will 3 other buyers right behind you lined up to snag it for more than asking.

You can talk big all you’d like. By all means keep it going. It’s entertaining watching people sink themselves.
I was raised and lived in the LA metro area for 34 years. I had to depart due to the (in my opinion) degraded quality of life.
Anyway.....it appears I've offended you which was not my intention. Please don't be so sensitive. Aren't forums for discussions and to express opinions?
Old 12-07-2023, 09:31 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Probably less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the owner's age.
civicdrivr (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:45 AM
Ex-OEM King

It's seriously ALWAYS RDX owners.

You're right. That does not make you stupid. It does mean you made a "Stupid" financial decision". We all make stupid financial decisions and we all spend our $$ in different ways.
It's not a stupid financial decision if paying higher prices effectively raises the actual worth of the house so you can sell it for more later on.

Thinking you "won" because you got 10% off MSRP is a fallacy. You still lost, they still made a profit along with everyone in the supply chain.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:07 AM

Speaking as someone who knows a thing or two about economics, the notion of a "stupid financial decision" is relative to many, many factors. Absolute statements based solely on price are far too shallow to be useful.

Speaking as a moderator, there are better ways to express an opinion than to lead with telling people they are being "stupid" for not agreeing with you (which is effectively what you're doing).
The following 5 users liked this post by ttribe:
1killercls (12-07-2023), civicdrivr (12-08-2023), mrmako (12-17-2023), RPhilMan1 (12-07-2023), Sarlacc (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Racer

It's seriously ALWAYS RDX owners.

It's not a stupid financial decision if paying higher prices effectively raises the actual worth of the house so you can sell it for more later on.

Thinking you "won" because you got 10% off MSRP is a fallacy. You still lost, they still made a profit along with everyone in the supply chain.
Okay....... if you say so. This discussion is going no where. Time for something new................How about them Vikings!!! They're going to the Super Bowl !!!
Old 12-07-2023, 11:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

Okay....... if you say so. This discussion is going no where. Time for something new................How about them Vikings!!! They're going to the Super Bowl !!!
They're never going to the super bowl. If they get to the playoffs they'll always choke.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Racer

Speaking as someone who knows a thing or two about economics, the notion of a "stupid financial decision" is relative to many, many factors. Absolute statements based solely on price are far too shallow to be useful.

Speaking as a moderator, there are better ways to express an opinion than to lead with telling people they are being "stupid" for not agreeing with you (which is effectively what you're doing).
You're right. As you can see I retracted calling one stupid before your post. We all do make stupid financial decisions though. I do each time I turnover a vehicle and lose money. I don't think of it as being stupid because I want a new vehicle. But......in reality it was still a stupid, negative, dumb or whatever you want to call it financial decision I made.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:52 AM
The Third Ball

I was raised and lived in the LA metro area for 34 years. I had to depart due to the (in my opinion) degraded quality of life.
Anyway.....it appears I've offended you which was not my intention. Please don't be so sensitive. Aren't forums for discussions and to express opinions?
haha. I’m not offended. I’m simply stating a fact and counter point to your argument.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
What does that even mean?

You hunt for your meat? You grow your own food? You make your own clothes out of the cloth you spin? You cut down trees to build your own house? generate your own electricity? Pump and purify your water?

You designed and manufactured your own car? Out of the the raw materials you fashioned into parts for said car?
No need for that.

I mean I do not need any trades to repair things, even those that are in the licenced trades that end up doing shoddy work and have the nerve to charge you incredible rates. I feel for all those on my street every time I see a service truck in their driveway. Same goes for all my vehicles.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:14 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Tech
No need for that.

I mean I do not need any trades to repair things, even those that are in the licenced trades that end up doing shoddy work and have the nerve to charge you incredible rates. I feel for all those on my street every time I see a service truck in their driveway. Same goes for all my vehicles.
Good for you?

The overwhelming majority of people don't know or don't care to DIY all the work. Their time is worth something to them.
RPhilMan1 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

The overwhelming majority of people don't know or don't care to DIY all the work. Their time is worth something to them.
The overwhelming people as you put it are incapable, yet they come to forums for a magic pill without doing any diagnosis on their own. It gets really tiring trying to help them out.

If their time is worth something to them as you put it, why are they on forums.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:35 PM

The overwhelming people as you put it are incapable, yet they come to forums for a magic pill without doing any diagnosis on their own. It gets really tiring trying to help them out.

Because they are either hoping there is a quick fix, or they want to sound knowledgeable and somewhat informed when they do take their car in, perhaps?

I do very little DIY either on my cars or my house. To some extent that is a skill issue, but mostly that is a matter of the value of my time, which literally gets measured every time I record a billable hour to charge a client. Life is complex. Just because your way works for you, doesn't mean it's one-size-fits-all.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just because your way works for you, doesn't mean it's one-size-fits-all.
Exactly, which brings me to the topic, the future of gasoline cars will be around for a very long time and much longer than most think.

Just because EV owners who seem to push their agenda and get very defensive if you do not agree with them, they are not for everyone for countless reasons.

Oh and don't you just love those "Just Stop Oil" protesters. I wonder how they heat their homes, how do they get food delivered and all the other items made from oil that they use. I just have to laugh at Greta and delusional people.
mrmako (12-17-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:28 PM

Sam, you should know that Tech is a savior to the internet. Why are people wasting his valuable time?? He could be telling us why we're all wrong instead!
SamDoe1 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:33 PM
Ex-OEM King

Then don't help them? There are plenty of people who come on here to help others learn or learn themselves. If you choose to not help others and have nothing more to learn then...why are you here?

Exactly, which brings me to the topic, the future of gasoline cars will be around for a very long time and much longer than most think.

Just because EV owners who seem to push their agenda and get very defensive if you do not agree with them, they are not for everyone for countless reasons.

Oh and don't you just love those "Just Stop Oil" protesters. I wonder how they heat their homes, how do they get food delivered and all the other items made from oil that they use. I just have to laugh at Greta and delusional people.
No one is pushing an agenda. People speak up about their real world experience with EV's brought on by questions from others that you, for reasons I cannot comprehend, choose to ignore because YOU have an agenda to push. No one on here is supporting or has supported the "just stop oil" people.

If you want to keep driving a gas car, go for it. I literally could not care less. I drive an EV because it's fun, practical, efficient, and comes with low cost of ownership vs the gasoline powered equivalents of which there are only two. I don't have one because it's "green". I also have a gas guzzling, loud as fuck V8 powered salute to America that I also like to drive but I'll give you one guess as to which gets the majority of miles on it.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:34 PM

Maybe they are truly 100% self sufficient
SamDoe1 (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Ex-OEM King

Maybe they are truly 100% self sufficient

Old 12-11-2023, 03:14 PM

Take that kind of talk to https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/

This isn't the place for it.
civicdrivr (12-11-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
The thread was bound to go this direction from jump.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
The thread was bound to go this direction from jump.
6 more years and we'll find out. LOL
Old 12-15-2023, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 516 Likes on 292 Posts
You all are stupid! Buying 101 says: “you get what you paid for”. I always pay more than asking price, which guarantees that what I buy will be superior, simple maths.

Anyways, sarcasm over, vast majority of people who push their opinion or agenda get defensive and unpleasant when something that goes against their ideas, that’s not really a new concept and not limited to EV or vegan Hippies.

regarding EVs, personally, I’ll have a hard time going EV for the fun sporty/occasion car. For a daily, I’m strongly considering it. Charging at home seems hugely convenient, in general they are quieter, instant acceleration and the driver assist suite that many have is appealing as well (I know self driving isn’t limited to EV).
main thing holding me back is that I like to keep cars a long time, one of our cars is almost 16 years old and the other is 13. I’m not sure how limp the batteries will be after so many years, but even if I have to replace them, it’ll probably still be cheaper than all the repairs I had to put in my Jeep .

But, I don’t have to really think about it, both my old cars are running well.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:55 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
I’ll have a hard time going EV for the fun sporty/occasion car. For a daily, I’m strongly considering it.
This. I'm rethinking my position on this. I think piling up the commuter miles to/from work with a small EV just may be the way. Save a lot of wear and tear on the ICE that I will always own. And as I have found out with the wife's Subaru, it does outstanding when you only put 34K on it in 7 years. Still looks and smells fairly new. I'll have to see what my options are once I get to Japan. Electricity there is dumb expensive, along with gas..... Maybe a diesel hybrid? Does anyone make one of those?
Old 12-17-2023, 10:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 516 Likes on 292 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
This. I'm rethinking my position on this. I think piling up the commuter miles to/from work with a small EV just may be the way. Save a lot of wear and tear on the ICE that I will always own. And as I have found out with the wife's Subaru, it does outstanding when you only put 34K on it in 7 years. Still looks and smells fairly new. I'll have to see what my options are once I get to Japan. Electricity there is dumb expensive, along with gas..... Maybe a diesel hybrid? Does anyone make one of those?
Diesel hybrid would make sense in terms of fuel consumption for sure. I think (and please anyone that know more on this jump in) but my understanding is that diesel even with the urea mix still puts bad things (large particles) in the air which are not good for our lungs. Not so much a green gas thing, more of a particles that get lodged in the lungs and the reason Europe is working on banning Diesel engines.
Anyways, please don’t just take what I’m writing for granted and read more into it. I did grow up in the eastern part of Europe where they used leaded fuels so my IQ loss from the exposure is substantial and I didn’t start off very high either…

Adding to the EV reasons for me, we have 55PV panels on the roof of the house, system was installed in 2011-ish, I cant exactly remember, but even back then we increased the size of the array to give us some room for an EV. 90+% of our trips are within 50 miles of our house, another 9.9% is to the property which is 180miles which we do every few weekends (we could easily put a 240V 50A RV hookup there). The remaining 0.1% would be a work trip too close to fly to, but we can just use another car for that.
Also, I would love to be able to sit in carline without needing to idle and keep the AC going.

my perfect EV I think would be a Lucid Air, but wagon and made by a company that’s not on the edge of going under and cost half the price. Just some small details really
to be fair there isn’t an ICE car I’m jumping out of my chair to go buy either. I’m either not interested in it, or too poor to buy it. The good news is, the TL-S is going strong, I just had to replace the AC compressor clutch pack and the belt tensioner and looking forward to 5+ more years with it
Old 12-18-2023, 09:31 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by mrmako
No one does a hybrid diesel to my knowledge. Gas PHEV's are about as good as you're going to get but you cannot go more than 30-40 miles with a PHEV these days. Diesel isn't the enormous efficiency benefit it used to be. Many gas engines are just as good these days.

Ram is coming out with a range extender 1500 truck next year-ish but guessing that will not really fit in over in Japan...

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Diesel hybrid would make sense in terms of fuel consumption for sure. I think (and please anyone that know more on this jump in) but my understanding is that diesel even with the urea mix still puts bad things (large particles) in the air which are not good for our lungs. Not so much a green gas thing, more of a particles that get lodged in the lungs and the reason Europe is working on banning Diesel engines.
Anyways, please don’t just take what I’m writing for granted and read more into it. I did grow up in the eastern part of Europe where they used leaded fuels so my IQ loss from the exposure is substantial and I didn’t start off very high either…

Adding to the EV reasons for me, we have 55PV panels on the roof of the house, system was installed in 2011-ish, I cant exactly remember, but even back then we increased the size of the array to give us some room for an EV. 90+% of our trips are within 50 miles of our house, another 9.9% is to the property which is 180miles which we do every few weekends (we could easily put a 240V 50A RV hookup there). The remaining 0.1% would be a work trip too close to fly to, but we can just use another car for that.
Also, I would love to be able to sit in carline without needing to idle and keep the AC going.

my perfect EV I think would be a Lucid Air, but wagon and made by a company that’s not on the edge of going under and cost half the price. Just some small details really
to be fair there isn’t an ICE car I’m jumping out of my chair to go buy either. I’m either not interested in it, or too poor to buy it. The good news is, the TL-S is going strong, I just had to replace the AC compressor clutch pack and the belt tensioner and looking forward to 5+ more years with it
No EV is going to be cheaper to run than an already paid off and reliable car. Buying one for the sake of saving money is a fallacy. Buying one when you already need a new car is a different story. I totally agree with EV daily, gas fun car combo. It's fantastic, can attest with first hand knowledge.

You could easily do all of your trips with an EV, probably even your work trips. Lucid is going to start selling the Gravity next year. Check it out, looks like exactly what you're looking for. Rivian will also be announcing the R2 model in Q1/Q2 next year and Volvo makes a bunch of cheaper wagon-ish EV's these days.
PhilB81 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 06:24 PM
The Third Ball

Volvo makes a bunch of cheaper wagon-ish EV's these days.
I may or may not already be on a project that is using lots of upcoming EVs from many manufacturers...
civicdrivr (12-26-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I see the Volvo XC40 is about $52k. That is expensive IMO.
Are there cheaper ones Volvo made?

Quick Reply: Future of gasoline only cars