To the Ford engineers..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfaze
Two drinking beer while the third one did all the work?
Sadly, he's right. I always hear mechanics complain about the LT1 F-Bodies. Even on my car, I have to take off the coil pack rail and move some other stuff just to reach the passenger side spark plugs
Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,581 Posts
Helped a friend in college tune-up his Maverick V8, took us hours to replace the 2 right rear plugs which were Autolites. The other 6 were Champions. We wondered from the worn electrodes and OEM brand if they were the original plugs.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
How about the mid 2000's f150's that had to have the engines removed to change plugs?
Originally Posted by Never Summer
Seriously?
not quite removed, but yes the fuel rails and such have to be removed though, cause they sit directly over the coil packs

and if anybody wants to complain about something, try a starter on a 1st gen (abou 1990 to 1996) Nissan pathfinder with the 3.0 motor, disconnecting it, and unbolting is like an hour maybe, but getting it out of the truck/chassis itself is pain in the ass itself (couple of hours to try and figure out how it has to come out EXACTLY between the body/wheelwell [which has to be bent a little anyways for clearence] and the frame/shock tower
Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Helped a friend in college tune-up his Maverick V8, took us hours to replace the 2 right rear plugs which were Autolites. The other 6 were Champions. We wondered from the worn electrodes and OEM brand if they were the original plugs.
I've heard that they were a real pain. If they were worn Autolites, they probably were originals. Throughout the years guys have stuffed 390s and 428s in the Maverick's engine bay. THAT would make for an interesting plug change.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dallison
How about the mid 2000's f150's that had to have the engines removed to change plugs?

Nope. They're a little work because of the fuel rails and a couple components, but accessible while in the truck.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by teranfon
I've heard that they were a real pain. If they were worn Autolites, they probably were originals. Throughout the years guys have stuffed 390s and 428s in the Maverick's engine bay. THAT would make for an interesting plug change.

Took these photo's at a GM driving event back in 2004. Could only image how easy it is to change the plugs in the pushrod V8's in the H2 Hummer and a Chevy SSR.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Is this the Maverick you guys are talking about? Looks fun...

This is the LT1 F-Body engine bay:

oh and just for kicks.... one of my auto instructors who is a big Ford fan, swore off of Hondas for the rest of his life because of his experience with vacuum lines in his Honda a LONG time ago

Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 AM
AZ Community Team

In the 70's the Japanese automakers perfected the art of analog computers using vacuum instead of electrons

Also liked how Toyota, Datson, and Honda all numbered the actual vacuum lines. Made it alot easier to reassemble after taking everything apart.

Originally Posted by Costco

oh and just for kicks.... one of my auto instructors who is a big Ford fan, swore off of Hondas for the rest of his life because of his experience with vacuum lines in his Honda a LONG time ago

Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I remember that!
I "only" had a problem with the 1st plug nearest the firewall in the one bank on my dad's 302 V8 Maverick. The other seven plugs would take a few minutes with a couple of extensions and a flexi joint on the ratchet wrench, but that last plug was a pain.
I may not have changed that plug more than twice in 6+ years, although I tuned the (rest of) the car at least once a year.

OTOH, that's better than Chevy Monzas with the 350 V8 option, which required removing engine mounts and dropping the engine to get at the plugs.

Hopefully Terry's situation of having to remove every accessory and drive to remove the valve covers won't be an annual task!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Oh and the ford 3v plugs. The idiot that designed this plug should be shot

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=spark+plug

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Has any one tried replacing plugs on one of those motors yet??? It is quite possibly one of the dumbest or ill thought out designs ive ever encountered. I helped a friend last night and we both wish we had never started. Plug changes should be a simple procedure, not on these motors. There is a WHOLE procedure just for loosening the plug so that the stupid design doesnt break off in the head (which 2 did) that ford had to design a tool to remove(thats not cheap) . We talked to the local ford dealer which just shook their head because they have been dealing with this for some time now said they would remove the 2 broken plugs for 50 bucks.

Said goofy plug (in red is what snaps off in the cyl head, blue is where it snaps off from) should have been made in 1 piece instead of 2 piece(yes the lower metal piece is seperate from the upper threaded area)

Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
B A N N E D

and at work i actually declined doing a set of them, because i did not want to have to deal with dealing with them stuck in there (turned out to be a 2v though, but then again they blow the plugs out instead)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Will Y.
I remember that!
I "only" had a problem with the 1st plug nearest the firewall in the one bank on my dad's 302 V8 Maverick. The other seven plugs would take a few minutes with a couple of extensions and a flexi joint on the ratchet wrench, but that last plug was a pain.
I may not have changed that plug more than twice in 6+ years, although I tuned the (rest of) the car at least once a year.

OTOH, that's better than Chevy Monzas with the 350 V8 option, which required removing engine mounts and dropping the engine to get at the plugs.

Hopefully Terry's situation of having to remove every accessory and drive to remove the valve covers won't be an annual task!
Not a fun tuneup but I do remember my friend bought everything (plugs, cap/rotor, air filter, fuel filter, PVC) for under $20.

It was all stock and was pretty quick as well, pretty decent transportation for college in the early 80's.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Yeah, that looks like the Maverick and it also had A/C as welll.

Wow, the LT1 looks really tight. Another friend had a 86 IROC 5.7 with port injection and I remember it being more open in the engine bay than that.

Originally Posted by Costco
Is this the Maverick you guys are talking about? Looks fun...

This is the LT1 F-Body engine bay:

Old 11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like a couple small spot-welds on the new plugs would do the trick and keep the parts from separating.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Gfaze
Seems like a couple small spot-welds on the new plugs would do the trick and keep the parts from separating.
issue is not the plug itself, but the head design, and how the plug has to reach through a large unthreaded protion (which carbon then builds up in, and siezes the plug in there)
Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by friesm2000
issue is not the plug itself, but the head design, and how the plug has to reach through a large unthreaded protion (which carbon then builds up in, and siezes the plug in there)
Part of it is the plug being a 2 piece. Some of the newer plugs are 1 piece to help eliminate it. If you put anti-seize on the un threaded part it helps.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
B A N N E D

Part of it is the plug being a 2 piece. Some of the newer plugs are 1 piece to help eliminate it. If you put anti-seize on the un threaded part it helps.
either way a craptastic design, and if you do anti-sieze, the copper stuff should help more so, cause it is design for higher temps (why do you think it comes with O2 sensors alot of times, kinda like those little grease packets you get with brake pads at times)

ps, a one-piece design elminates any sort of need for additional welds
Old 11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Speaking of Econoline vans, I was driving a couple cars behind one a few days ago when the entire rear left wheel decided to go on vacation and flew across four lanes of traffic to the other side of the road. I'm shocked that there wasn't an accident.

/cool story.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM
B A N N E D

the c-clip probably dropped out or something (depending on the exact axle though) or the axle snapped...
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Terry,

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2010 E350, would you steer me the other way? I am scared now after reading this thread. Are the 2010's easier to work on? It seems that way with the longer hood?

I found one that is pretty clean with 9k, running boards, tinted glass, rear sensor xlt for 19k. What is your opinion on it?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by sporting
Terry,

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 2010 E350, would you steer me the other way? I am scared now after reading this thread. Are the 2010's easier to work on? It seems that way with the longer hood?

I found one that is pretty clean with 9k, running boards, tinted glass, rear sensor xlt for 19k. What is your opinion on it?
To be fair, I've never worked on a '10 E. I have heard, however, that the newer vans are much easier to work on than the older stuff. I've seen under the hood on them, and there is much more room than before. That being said, the 5.4 (I assume that's what it has) isn't a fun engine to work on.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Pro

Why is the 5.4 difficult? And do you think 19k for it sounds fair? Its not a cargo, but a passenger van.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by sporting
Why is the 5.4 difficult? And do you think 19k for it sounds fair? Its not a cargo, but a passenger van.
The 5.4 just seems to take longer to perform basic maintenance (at least for me). Little things like changing sparkplugs are a pain in the butt. Plenty of sensors that need to be removed to access basic items. It's a relatively stout engine, just not packaged all that well imo.

I don't really know it that's a good price or not. I'm not really familiar with them, other than knowing they are very expensive to begin with. I imagine a number of these things will be going up for sale if fuel prices continue to escalate. Maybe check online and see what comparable vans are going for to help determine what to offer.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
B A N N E D

The 5.4 just seems to take longer to perform basic maintenance (at least for me). Little things like changing sparkplugs are a pain in the butt. Plenty of sensors that need to be removed to access basic items. It's a relatively stout engine, just not packaged all that well imo.

I don't really know it that's a good price or not. I'm not really familiar with them, other than knowing they are very expensive to begin with. I imagine a number of these things will be going up for sale if fuel prices continue to escalate. Maybe check online and see what comparable vans are going for to help determine what to offer.

i would not say so much, and the reason being is that the majority of the people who do buy them, buy them for the one purpose, and that is work, and being able to carry all of there tools and supplies (so yes some people maybe able to consolidate to a smaller vehicle, but most will not though, because they need the cargo volume and weight carrying ability of a full-size van)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by friesm2000
i would not say so much, and the reason being is that the majority of the people who do buy them, buy them for the one purpose, and that is work, and being able to carry all of there tools and supplies (so yes some people maybe able to consolidate to a smaller vehicle, but most will not though, because they need the cargo volume and weight carrying ability of a full-size van)

Perhaps, but the poster who asked the question stated this was a passenger van, not one used for cargo. Anything used for the transportation of people is generally used less or other alternatives explored if fuel prices raise dramatically.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Pro

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
New vehicles like the Transit Connect and the NV are proving you don't necessarily have to have a giant full-size van when 90% of the time they're not being used to their full extent. When it comes to cargo vans, I think the two vehicles mentioned will be stealing a nice chunk of commercial sales.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Yea, on my craptastic engineering design which should have gotten the guy fired, they ran teh fuel rail right across the coilpacks, so to change the plugs or coils(which were/are known for needing replacement) you have to remove the fuel rail bolts and mojo it out of the way to get to the plugs. I had to disconnect the passenger side just to replace the rear plug. A redesign of the mounting bracket and a different bend to it could have located it one side or the other of the coilpacks (this is in my Expedition and not the van, but im not sure if they have changed design at all?)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
B A N N E D

Perhaps, but the poster who asked the question stated this was a passenger van, not one used for cargo. Anything used for the transportation of people is generally used less or other alternatives explored if fuel prices raise dramatically.

did not realize that part , but yes those would be more likely to come up for sale with increases in gas prices though

Yea, on my craptastic engineering design which should have gotten the guy fired, they ran teh fuel rail right across the coilpacks, so to change the plugs or coils(which were/are known for needing replacement) you have to remove the fuel rail bolts and mojo it out of the way to get to the plugs. I had to disconnect the passenger side just to replace the rear plug. A redesign of the mounting bracket and a different bend to it could have located it one side or the other of the coilpacks (this is in my Expedition and not the van, but im not sure if they have changed design at all?)
normally the coils will bend just enough to not have to remove the fuel rails, then a swivel possibly on the extension for the removing the actual plug should get around the rail

as far as the design of the rails, yeah should not really be that much difference, unless they improved it (but nothing that i see as being "necessary")
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
its a domestic cant expect more
Old 04-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
We're not (although we pretend to be on weekends ).

Amusing story to go with that sentiment.

I worked as electrical engineer designing avionics for military aircraft in the 80's. Another engineer, Rich was invited to go to a USAF base and spend a day with technicians. This was part of a program the DoD had to get the defense contractors more familiar with what it's like to operate and maintain their products. He got to spend the day with a F-15 technician. Their task that morning was to replace a hydraulic filter in the rear of the fighter. Rich looked at the shop manual for the aircraft and it showed pictures of the rear hydraulics, location, and access panels. Looking at the illustrations he figured maybe 15-20 minutes to remove and replace the filter. He removed the access panel and started to look around for the filter in mass of pipes and tubing. Not only could he not see it, he couldn't even feel around for it.

The tech was amused to say the least. He told Rich to stick his right arm into the access hole, go to the left as far forward as he could reach and then Rich felt the filter barely. He had no idea how they could remove it. It took both of them all morning to remove the filter clean up the drained hydraulic fluid (it's very flammable) and reinstall and safety wire the new filter. The tech exlained this was one of the worst maintenance tasks on the Eagles hydraulics.

The tech didn't know why engineers at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis had to locate the filter so far out of reach since it could have easily been positioned by the access opening. Rich came away with a new appreciation for the folks who have to keep these complication machines flight ready.

They should do the same with auto engineers
I used to work on F-15's and I hated working flight controls because sometimes that filter would fail and hydralic fluid would get all over the connectors going to the rear icms antenna or some type of cannon plug.

4 long years of dealing with that....sigh
Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Seeing this thread back reminded me of the horror stories I've heard about working on the old Hyundai 3.5 liter V6. I'm referring to the Sigma engine for you Hyundai s.

The timing belt on that particular engine is by far and away the biggest bitch in the world to replace. It is such a pain that I've heard stories of Hyundai techs who will actually call in sick rather than deal with the pain and heartache that comes with a Sigma timing belt job. It's a bitch because it involves keeping four cams in perfect alignment including an exhaust cam and the engine is transversely mounted so there is very little room to work in. Some dealers will actually drop the engine to do them.

Thank God my 3.5 has a timing chain.