Fix the Infiniti or Move On?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:53 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts
Fix the Infiniti or Move On?

So I have been lurking more than posting lately, but I'm still on here since I love the content on AZ. Some may remember a few years back that after my 3.0CL was totaled, I got a 2000 Infiniti I30, which has about 67k at the moment. Lately, I've been annoyed by all these little things needing attention and I'm contemplating moving on to a Q50S since I've loved them since I started working at a dealership and will be graduating college after this semester with my BS in IT. This is what has been going on lately:

-Needed new muffler last summer
-Needed new battery this past winter
-Needed new MAF two weeks ago
-CEL just came on for two O2 sensors (~$500 repair)
-Oil pan seal needs to be replaced
-Was told by service last year that my main oil seals are beginning to seep
-Tires and brakes have 30k and 40k on them, respectively (just found that one tire has two bubbles)
-Two wheels need to be repaired since NJ roads took their toll and cause vibrations on the highway
-Lower radiator support is starting to corrode (common issue on A33 models)

For short-term, I would probably need to put in around $750 for the O2 sensors, replace the oil pan seal, and the tires (or replace a pair). I have zero time with how much I'm working and finishing my degree to go private or DIY, so everything would be have to be done at the dealer I work at.

My POV is that the car is 15 years old, and even with 67k on the clock, things may start to go downhill. Hell, it seems like every time I have a thought about a new car, she throws a tantrum and breaks something on me. My coworker, who I have essentially bonded with since I started, says that I should go with a Q50 and with the service advisor seeing my car every couple weeks, he thinks the same. My dad keeps telling me to fix it since he just keeps saying I'm going to complain about having a lease payment, while my mom agrees with me that its an older car and things are going to break. Honestly, I still love the car since the powertrain is great and it drives well, and it also has a bit of sentimental value to me. But with a (very likely) new job requiring a bit of driving, it won't be nearly as convenient (or cheap) as driving to work to have a tech look at it to have something fixed. So I am calling on current AZiners to help me decide if I should keep putting money into her or to move on to a new vehicle.

FWIW, I'd be looking into a Q50S AWD with the Technology package, so thats loaded aside from accessories.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Well I have to say $750 that the I30 needs for short term repairs will be about one month of payments on a Q50S, or two months if you're leasing. Add to this the full coverage insurance you must have for a financed car.

Since you are fresh out of school, I would personally continue driving the I30 until you get settled in.

Also, don't listen to anything a service advisor says. Actually, don't listen to anybody at a dealership.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:23 AM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree and say that paying for repairs is the better route at the moment. It'd be foolish to buy an expensive luxury car without having the new job lined up first. I'd wait until you are at least 6 months into the new job to buy a new car.

I'm actually in a similar boat as you, and been wanting to dump my 3G TL due to the numerous repairs I've had lately but will wait until I finish my masters in software in the next couple months and until I have a well paying job. I could get a new Accord LX right now, but I know I'd be bored in a few years. Hoping to either pick up a new TLX or a slightly used GS350 F Sport in the next year or so.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:14 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Only because I don't view car maintenance and buying from a pure economics standpoint: move on. You'll get much enjoyment out of a new Q50.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Fix the car and wait till you graduate and have a permanent job for the new one.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,820 Likes on 3,844 Posts
Fix the car. $750 is nothing compared to 5 years of $500 a month payments plus insurance and registration on a new car.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
i'll take the car off your hands for $1500
The following users liked this post:
d1sturb3d119 (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Fix the car and wait till you graduate and have a permanent job for the new one.
100% agree.

If I were you I wouldn't buy a new car until you buy some real estate. $500/mo for 5 years is a lot of money. Worst case you can buy another used car for MUCH cheaper, then just drive that for a few years until after you have your own place. Trust me... delaying the satisfaction now will pay off in spades later if you play your cards right...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
get your financial house in order first... Cheap financing is how alot of people make impulsive decisions they later regret.

I had a friend who started working at a dealership, 15 or so years ago and decided he needed a new IS300, he left the dealership and started his dominos of rolling negative equity into cheaper and cheaper cars... It was a bad cycle and took him many years to break it.

A couple sensors, normal wear and tear items like tires/brakes, aren't a big deal. Ride it til the wheels fall off. Live cheaply and below your means, you'll thank yourself later and live a comparatively less stressful life.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Owning your car outright means you're free of debt. Keep it that way. Don't be hasty. The only things financed now are my house and motorcycle. The rest are all paid off and we have a savings. The other option you have would be to sell the car and buy something cheaper and more reliable but unless you're good at finding a reliable brand and figuring out what's good or bad with it, that's another risk.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
I was in this same boat around 2 years ago when I was in my last year of college. I had a 98 civic ex with 200k that seemed to break something new every single weekend. I was dying to kick it to the curb and get something nicer, but my dad advised me to wait until I got settled in with a new job before I rushed out to buy a new car. I'm very happy that I decided to listen to his advice and wait. These guys are definitely right when they say delaying the satisfaction now will pay off down the road.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cjTL
Only because I don't view car maintenance and buying from a pure economics standpoint: move on. You'll get much enjoyment out of a new Q50.
I do not view car ownership and maintenance from a pure economics standpoint. I think just the fact somebody is on a car forum, and more specifically Car Talk, pretty much shows you are not a person who views cars as an appliance.

But that doesn't mean you go chasing the tail of the latest thing. Our lifetimes and our earnings are limited (unless we are REALLY lucky). How you manage your assets can make a huge difference for the rest of your life.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

^ Take into consideration the source of that reply and remember it's another 21 y/o responding. I'm not saying all 21 y/o's have the same mentality, but when I was 21 I was on my second, about to be 3rd new car. If I could go back and do it again I would have kept my first Acura and just drove it into the ground. Luckily I made other good financial decisions so it didn't affect me much, but when I think of how much I spent on cars and mods in my early 20's, I cringe.
wackjum (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it. My main concern is a barrage of things going wrong since I am on verge of accepting a job with a major IT company. I am working out scheduling their training with some end-of-semester events at school that are mandatory for attendance. The job would require driving to customer locations for installs, upgrades, and repairs of their data storage equipment, and can be anywhere from Princeton, NJ to the NY border (I live 15 minutes outside NYC). I am also looking to have something AWD for the winter since I took my mom's EX35 every time it snowed and there was no comparison with how well it performed. The driving for work would be during the night, so having the Q50 with Technology package has all the driving aids available so I think it would add some security to having to drive for work. Obviously, the job has already told me that I would be reimbursed for mileage. Last time I did brakes it was $800, tires were $500, and if those main oil seals completely go, it'll be a few thousand since the engine/transmission need to be lifted out of the car, and I would right now get somewhere between 4k-5k for it. I am specifically looking now since it is a time within our fiscal year where I could get the best deal possible on the car (I would be leasing it since the incentives are much better and could buy it out later on).
Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
If you can afford a new car comfortably, then go for it. Life is too short.

If you can't then fix what you have and wait till when you can.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it. My main concern is a barrage of things going wrong since I am on verge of accepting a job with a major IT company. I am working out scheduling their training with some end-of-semester events at school that are mandatory for attendance. The job would require driving to customer locations for installs, upgrades, and repairs of their data storage equipment, and can be anywhere from Princeton, NJ to the NY border (I live 15 minutes outside NYC). I am also looking to have something AWD for the winter since I took my mom's EX35 every time it snowed and there was no comparison with how well it performed. The driving for work would be during the night, so having the Q50 with Technology package has all the driving aids available so I think it would add some security to having to drive for work. Obviously, the job has already told me that I would be reimbursed for mileage. Last time I did brakes it was $800, tires were $500, and if those main oil seals completely go, it'll be a few thousand since the engine/transmission need to be lifted out of the car, and I would right now get somewhere between 4k-5k for it. I am specifically looking now since it is a time within our fiscal year where I could get the best deal possible on the car (I would be leasing it since the incentives are much better and could buy it out later on).
If you honestly believe your car is on the verge of outright death, then if I were in your position, I would purchase a thrifty used car for now. I can't tell you if your car will run a mile or another 100k miles. You just need to make an honest assessment with yourself.

But the rear main seals usually only get progressively worse, if at all. Almost any older used car will start to leak from the RMS but it is very unlikely to one day spray a jet of oil (despite what the service department wants you to think. Just be vigilant about checking your levels. Try switching to a high-mileage oil. They have seal conditioners that really do work and may stop a slow leak.

Around here, you can check tire shops and Craigslist for mildly worn tires at half price if you really need to save money. I just bought 4 brand new Falken Azenis PT-722's from Discount Tire Direct for $350 total for my Acura CL. Plus installation will be another $60. If you just did your brakes, the only thing you would need, if anything, would be new pads. That should not cost $800.

Coincidentally, there is a banner at the top right now for a $309 a month/ 39 month lease on an Infinti Q50 with initial payment of $3,199. So I suppose your trade-in might take care of the lease down. But that's also probably not the numbers for a fully loaded Q50S AWD either. Remember with leasing, you have mileage constraints.

If I have the time, I'll post up my own personal car history.
The following 2 users liked this post by wackjum:
crazyasiantl (03-31-2015), justnspace (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wackjum
If you honestly believe your car is on the verge of outright death, then if I were in your position, I would purchase a thrifty used car for now. I can't tell you if your car will run a mile or another 100k miles. You just need to make an honest assessment with yourself.
Agreed and I mentioned this earlier. I'd just get a nice, efficient, pre-owned for now... wait until you settle into your job, put some money away, then start planning to buy a ~$45k car (give or take) down the road.

I mean, it may be cool for a 21 y/o to have a car like that... but wouldn't it be cooler to have your own place? You can drive girls around in your car but it would be much better pulling up to your place then to bring them to your parents house where you have to leave the bedroom door open .

Also, if you're going to be using your car for work and hauling tools and equipment to job sites, etc... you may want to consider a different car anyway. Why do that a new Infiniti Q?

Lastly... remember, you're low man on the totem pole at this firm. What if they have IT layoffs or start consolidating departments in 6 months? Now you're stuck with a ~$45k car and no income. It's obviously your money and your decision, but I'd wait...

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-27-2015 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by juniorbean:
crazyasiantl (03-31-2015), justnspace (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
MaxMike93....I agree with most, you have a lifetime left to buy more fancier cars. If you want something new, reliable and such, you don't need to buy a super expensive car. There are great brands out there that can help you achieve waht you want....Going the Q50 Sport route is a bit more than what you really need in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I agree with everyone else but from your first post and then post #14, no matter what we say, you are getting a car you most likely should not i.e. the new infiniti. I get it, you're 21 and want the new car; I have been there and most recently my now wife was there. She wanted a car she shouldn't buy and decided that her paid off car had too many repairs so she bought a new one, not being used to car payment she was not happy. Then we got married, now I have a car payment in addition to my company car (read free) and a paid off car...

Do it, only bad choices make you learn life long lessons
Old 03-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
i would be interested in buying that car from you and im local
justnspace (03-30-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I would get a used car. The Q50 is way too much car for your first job. Plus you can't lease and drive all over the place. The mileage will kill you at the end.

If you need AWD, look at a used Subaru. You can drive them for a few years and see how things go. You are far better off having flexibility financially. Just be thorough and get a used car you like for probably half of what the Q50 will be.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Currently Post-Acura

I'm so set on the Q50 because I have been working at a dealership for about a year now and have loved the car since it was released. I'm not trying to be ignorant towards other cars, it's just that it's what I desire in a car and also what I'm accustomed to driving (Acura to my current Infiniti). And since I constantly drove them almost on a daily basis, it's been a goal that I've been working towards for a while and I've been working my ass off since I've been there. As for the mileage, I would plan on buying it at the lease maturity, it's just that the leases are much more incentivized. My financial situation is good since I bank most of what I make weekly being that I really don't have any bills other credit cards that I keep in-check without spending outside my means and I'm not one that goes out and blows their entire paycheck as soon as they get it. This whole situation also comes down to what they are willing to do at my job. I have a maximum price set and if they aren't within it, then I'll pass on it. I normally wasn't even planning get the Technology package, its since that any in-house deal has to be pulled from inventory and it's all we have for my color choice.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:03 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I think at this point it's clear you've made up your mind.

Good luck with the new job.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

Wow. You checked inventory and picked out color and package already.

Why even ask for "advice" at all. You just wanted some confirmation.
The following 4 users liked this post by wackjum:
crazyasiantl (03-31-2015), JS + XES (03-30-2015), juniorbean (03-30-2015), justnspace (03-30-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Leasing and then buying it is just dumb in your position.

But you don't listen to advice anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by charliemike:
JS + XES (03-30-2015), juniorbean (03-30-2015), justnspace (03-30-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I would buy a more expensive car personally. It's worth more being dumped into a car than a taxable account or real property.
justnspace (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

^

Originally Posted by charliemike
Leasing and then buying it is just dumb in your position.

But you don't listen to advice anyway.
This is an even worse financial move than buying the car in the first place...

Anyway, looks like we're done here folks. Pack it up boys...

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-30-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm so set on the Q50 because I have been working at a dealership for about a year now and have loved the car since it was released. I'm not trying to be ignorant towards other cars, it's just that it's what I desire in a car and also what I'm accustomed to driving (Acura to my current Infiniti). And since I constantly drove them almost on a daily basis, it's been a goal that I've been working towards for a while and I've been working my ass off since I've been there. As for the mileage, I would plan on buying it at the lease maturity, it's just that the leases are much more incentivized. My financial situation is good since I bank most of what I make weekly being that I really don't have any bills other credit cards that I keep in-check without spending outside my means and I'm not one that goes out and blows their entire paycheck as soon as they get it. This whole situation also comes down to what they are willing to do at my job. I have a maximum price set and if they aren't within it, then I'll pass on it. I normally wasn't even planning get the Technology package, its since that any in-house deal has to be pulled from inventory and it's all we have for my color choice.
Since you don't mention rent or a mortgage you should include it in your budgeting... by taking a 3 year lease you very well may want to move out at some point within that timeframe, and a $400 a month lease payment could impact the equation.

That monthly payment over 3 years could be your down payment on a house using the first time homebuyers program from FHA... I bought my first condo with 3.5% down, and spent about 10-15k, and the mortgage was substantially cheaper than my crappy little apartment in south boston. ..Worked out fantastically... I built up equity/appreciation in that place and rolled it into a nice house 4 years later and now have a growing family... I went from an old Mercedes SL500, to a honda civic Si... then bought a lightly used TL as finances continued to improve.

I would think long and hard about where you want to be 3 years down the road and make sure your financial decisions are aligned with your goals..

Good luck
justnspace (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

^

But we already tried with logic... seems like he was posting just to post as his mind was made up from the beginning.

But seriously... a 3 year lease plus possible financing at the end of the lease!?! If I'm stuck paying for something for 3-6 years it better come with a happy ending or be making me money
Old 03-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juniorbean
^

But we already tried with logic... seems like he was posting just to post as his mind was made up from the beginning.

But seriously... a 3 year lease plus possible financing at the end of the lease!?! If I'm stuck paying for something for 3-6 years it better come with a happy ending or be making me money
you see it time and time again...

experience is the worst teacher, gives the test before the lesson.
The following 2 users liked this post by Booya4139:
1StGenCL (04-01-2015), juniorbean (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Booya4139
you see it time and time again...

experience is the worst teacher, gives the test before the lesson.
I am going to use this quote before the end of the day. It is awesome.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

So you work for Infiniti dealership?

If that is the case, your lease deal should be ridiclously low, like almost free.

I know what kind of lease pricing BMW and Acura give to their employees who have been working for them for at least 1 year. In Acura's case, Acura is literally leasing the car to the employees for free (high monthly allowance)

In most cases, you can even make $ for the leased car after the 3 years when you sell it to Carmax.

I would expect Infiniti to have something very similar for their employees (1 years+)

If that is the case, it is a no brainer...

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-30-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

^ What kind of lease rate are we talking here?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Sweet!

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Ah to be young.

This is actually similar to how I got into the TSX I used to have. To keep it short, I had just moved out of my parents house (2 hours away) and landed my first full time job in IT. The car I had was starting to show its age (a '96 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 with 130k miles on the clock). Although there weren't any issues with it in the moment, I had convinced myself that it was not to be trusted. Before I had even started the first day of my new job (I moved a few weeks before the job started), I fell in love with the TSX and had to have one. I went to a dealership and test drove a brand new '06 with the tech package and HAD TO HAVE IT. Though the smarter side of me chimed in and said "wait, this is quite the commitment, you may want to think about this." So after talking numbers with the dealer, I said no thanks and slept on it. I found a used '04 at another dealership and went on a test drive. Loved it, we talked numbers, I told the sales guy that he'd need to help me get my current car home (was going to give it to my dad), signed, and had my new car.

I loved that TSX, and I wouldn't have found this great community if I hadn't bought it. BUT, if I could do it all over again...I would not buy it. Although things worked out in the end, it just wasn't the best financial decision. And, my younger brother is driving the T-Bird now. The last I was in the boat it had 180k miles on the clock and other than being worn, it was still going strong. I believe it's due for a rack now, and some HVAC circuit board is going out, but it hasn't stranded him or anyone else who's driven it yet...

So, ya never know!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Team Owner

^ What kind of lease rate are we talking here?
for Acura employees?

It is more like a fixed amount of monthly allowance you can get to lease an Acura. Not about lease rate.

Let's just say the people i know are paying less than $100 from their own pocket a month to lease a MDX.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

I heard that the way the Acura program worked is that they give you a paper raise of around $400 a month, and this gets applied directly to the lease. However, you are taxed on this as income so the true value is less than $400. However this is coming from a source that is not exactly reliable (does work at Acura but likes to brag and talk).

It also only stays in effect as long as you are working there. I don't know how the Infiniti one works but MaxMike has said he plans on leaving Infiniti soon.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Well if Infiniti has something similar and it's like $100/mo, then I get it and it's not a bad deal... but I'm doubting it. My dad works for Nissan and while he has gotten good deals on their cars, the lease rates are no where near that low. He gets a good "purchase" price for the car, but the lease is the same that anyone else would get...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Well if Infiniti has something similar and it's like $100/mo, then I get it and it's not a bad deal... but I'm doubting it. My dad works for Nissan and while he has gotten good deals on their cars, the lease rates are no where near that low. He gets a good "purchase" price for the car, but the lease is the same that anyone else would get...
I guess Luxury brands..... and Acura are different than the normal commodity brands.

BMW is a little more complicated where you get $$ at close to the Hold back value. Someone i know is leasing his F80 M3 for $790 with tax included. with $ 1000 drive off...
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 AM
Currently Post-Acura

After taking everything into consideration, I am still on the fence on what to do. But at this point, people who I respect at my job, not just the typical people I BS with, along my parents have said I should get the car. For Infiniti employees, there is an allowance for leases as long as you reach their Award of Excellence status for the previous calendar year, but being that I am what they call a Delivery Coordinator (I explain the vehicles and features to customers), I do not qualify as I'm not selling vehicles. Normally, I wasn't even planning to get into a new car this soon and I do feel like a bit of an fool for how I sounded in my previous posts, so please excuse my attitude. It just happened that things went well with my job interview that they are just clearing up some scheduling because their training program starts before my semester officially ends. It also happens to be end of FY so they are more apt to getting cars out and it is more likely to get a favorable deal now whereas another time during the year is just another month of sales (Won't list specifics, but its a little more drive off and around half the cost of that aforementioned BMW payment). The customer I had tonight hasn't made things better, since he was like me with obsessing over the car for months and was ridiculously ecstatic that he finally got it. The idea is also there to possibly sell my car to relatives since my cousin will get her license soon, and its a financial burden that my grandmother has the mentality she has to buy a new car for my cousin to have when mine would have all the modern necessities (Bluetooth, backup cam, leather, heated seats, nav, etc.).
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
This car talk or rambling?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fix the Infiniti or Move On?