Finding steel rims in san jose area

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 AM
tsx n00b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Finding steel rims in san jose area

The Question:
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew a junkyard or warehouse in the SJ area that would sell 15inch steel rims?

The Story:
I was supposed to head up to Tahoe this weekend for some snowboarding (not in the acura of course ). I pick up my buddies in Berkeley and we stop to eat in Pinole. so we've barely started and are merging on the freeway when we hit probably the biggest pothole i've ever seen. I'm not even driving but I could tell I was f'ed. We pulled over and notice that there's a long line of cars also pulled over b/c of the same pothole.

It turns out both my left wheels hit the hole and I had two flats and two bent rims. The local shop at first couldn't get the rims into shape, but then somehow were able to seal the tires on them to at least make it driveable. I still need to get new rims so if anyone has any ideas for the SJ area ( I know a lot of you are from around here ) that'd be great.

Sidenote
On a sidenote, anybody have experience filing a claim with caltrans? There were probably 50+ cars who hit that pothole and the CHP indicated that I should be able to claim it, but he didn't give me a report since there were so many people.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try Acker wheel, they're down there. Good supply, but the last time I checked with them on prices (several years ago), they were very high. Things might be different now.

http://www.ackerwheel.com/

-Mirror
Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Good luck filing a claim. In NJ, the rule is the DOT has to have adequate time to repair the pothole. That means if they can prove that they had no notice that the damage had occured within a "reasonable" time prior to your incident, they are not liable to pay claims.

Perfect example below. And this was a direct result of work performed on the road.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...autos-highway1