Facebook CEO Drives an Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Ahh yes, we can all thank my wife for finding that picture..

Thank you and your SO, good sir...
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Honestly speaking, if I came into a windfall (i.e.: 9-figure powerball), the most I'd do carwise is payoff my 09 MDX and then maybe pick up a current gen AV6 EX-L.
Screw that, in a Powerball/lottery winner situation!
I'd get myself a Ferrari mid-engine convertible week-end car and whatever my wife wants for herself, then a Bentley for a prospective hot-ass mistress on the side!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
^ Red Corvette, Will Y. Red Corvette. That's how you get the bishes.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Infinity! (and beyond)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You geniuses who are all pissing on the guy for renting realize it's 99.99% likely it's a business deduction... right? In that case it makes more sense to own b/c it's much easier to write off rent/lease payments then it is a mortgage. Completely different rules when dealing with a mortgage and business expenses.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
You geniuses who are all pissing on the guy for renting realize it's 99.99% likely it's a business deduction... right? So the fact that he's renting doesn't really mean anything to him... just another business expense.
Hey now, we don't need no stinkin' rationality or common sense in this here argument..
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

You geniuses who are all pissing on the guy for renting realize it's 99.99% likely it's a business deduction... right? In that case it makes more sense to own b/c it's much easier to write off rent/lease payments then it is a mortgage. Completely different rules when dealing with a mortgage and business expenses.
Zipit, JB...I'm trolling here.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
They want to see him blinged out with a Bentley and 6 houses. MZ keeps it fresh, he only wears his white t's once!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
I think you need to calm down...And nope, Anil was not coming to "my rescue". I don't need saving from you, thank-you.

We can continue down this tangent forever and you'll probably get angrier and angrier anyhow. There are heaps of millionaires I know who refuse to buy cars and just go leasing high-end European cars (i.e. BMW, Porsche, Land Rover). They switch out every 2 years for something else...And based on your sentiments, it is terrible investment on their part too and they are idiots. Yes?

Keep in mind, do I agree with what they do with their $$$ in regards to cars? Not really...but, again, does make them stupid?

Let's put it this way: Agree to disagree.
First off, I'm not angry nor was my post intended to come off like that, but you can take my response however you want. Secondly, leasing Exotic Sports cars does make sense because they have the liberties of switching them up at their leisure. Are they idiotic? No, because car buying is not an investment like buying property, so its actually smarter to lease vehicles of that stature. In addition, I bet those millionaires don't blink an eye when buying a daily driver that is much cheaper because leasing a car that can be easily bought doesn't make sense. Would you agree? Lastly, I definitely will agree to disagree...but you're wrong.

Originally Posted by phile
I think if I were in his position, instead of renting the house that he currently rents (which is not some lavish celebrity-like mansion), I would purchase said house.

it doesn't make any economical sense to rent the current house that he rents when he can afford to buy it.

I think that's the sentiment that I and a couple of people are getting at.

No one's stating that with all of his money, he should be fabulous.
Exactly.

I think people keep putting in their minds that he is renting out a 30k sq ft house that cost him $20k a month to rent, when that isn't the case at all. However, I have to agree with the fact we don't know the specific details of why is renting and until we do then everything is speculation.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
........Secondly, leasing Exotic Sports cars does make sense because they have the liberties of switching them up at their leisure. Are they idiotic? No, because car buying is not an investment like buying property, so its actually smarter to lease vehicles of that stature. In addition, I bet those millionaires don't blink an eye when buying a daily driver that is much cheaper because leasing a car that can be easily bought doesn't make sense. Would you agree? Lastly, I definitely will agree to disagree...but you're wrong.

Out of curiosity, how many self-made millionaires do you personally know? And of them, how familiar are you with their financial arrangements?

Those who are financially secure (whatever the income) that are responsible for their own successes are generally very astute and careful with their funds. They realize the value of money and the work it takes to achieve financial independence. They rarely get to the point where they "don't blink an eye" when spending money. If anything, many of them become even more concerned with how money is spent.

Terry
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by teranfon
Out of curiosity, how many self-made millionaires do you personally know? And of them, how familiar are you with their financial arrangements?

Those who are financially secure (whatever the income) that are responsible for their own successes are generally very astute and careful with their funds. They realize the value of money and the work it takes to achieve financial independence. They rarely get to the point where they "don't blink an eye" when spending money. If anything, many of them become even more concerned with how money is spent.

Terry
I probably know as many millionaires as Yumcha does.

I've known a few millionaires, but nobody within the realm of MZ.

You're telling me that a multi-millionaire (Just to be clear, I'm referring to someone that has hundreds of millions, not just a few) wouldn't blink an eye if he was buying a TSX or any car within $25k-$50k range? I highly doubt it. However, I wouldn't doubt that they would be more concerned with price and spending when making bigger purchases ie. houses, businesses, etc., that makes perfect sense and I agree with you, but that wasn't my argument.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
But does he use the whole house to run facebook? Or just one room?

Business deductions are allowed if the leased/rented property are actually used for business, otherwise its not deductible.

Besides, if you buy, you can still deduct mortgage interest and property tax (though in his case probably just tax).
Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
But does he use the whole house to run facebook? Or just one room?

Business deductions are allowed if the leased/rented property are actually used for business, otherwise its not deductible.

Besides, if you buy, you can still deduct mortgage interest and property tax (though in his case probably just tax).
Trust me, I know how it works. And I know plenty of people who rent properties and write off the whole thing. I also know quite a few who really do not do much business on the property, but deduct the whole thing. All you need is a little piece of business (in his case a laptop or printer or router, etc) in each room and the whole thing is deductible... and that's only if an auditor shows up. Plus, people who know anything about business know any and every loophole, so trust me... the odds are almost 100% he is deducting those expenses. Why do you think people lease cars like a Ferrari or a Lambo? It's listed under the business as marketing and they're deducting the whole thing...

With a mortgage, you have to prove much more and only the interest and taxes are deductible. If you're paying $2k/mo in a mortgage, you may be able to deduct ~$800-$1k/mo, plus a portion of the expenses. If you're renting/leasing a place for $2k a month, you can deduct $2k plus expenses, pretty much no questions asked.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Hey now, we don't need no stinkin' rationality or common sense in this here argument..
Zipit, JB...I'm trolling here.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Trust me, I know how it works. And I know plenty of people who rent properties and write off the whole thing. I also know quite a few who really do not do much business on the property, but deduct the whole thing. All you need is a little piece of business (in his case a laptop or printer or router, etc) in each room and the whole thing is deductible... and that's only if an auditor shows up. Plus, people who know anything about business know any and every loophole, so trust me... the odds are almost 100% he is deducting those expenses. Why do you think people lease cars like a Ferrari or a Lambo? It's listed under the business as marketing and they're deducting the whole thing...

With a mortgage, you have to prove much more and only the interest and taxes are deductible. If you're paying $2k/mo in a mortgage, you may be able to deduct ~$800-$1k/mo, plus a portion of the expenses. If you're renting/leasing a place for $2k a month, you can deduct $2k plus expenses, pretty much no questions asked.
No, I work in taxes and I know how it works.

People that lease and deduct non-business related items are basically intentionally entering what I call the "audit lottery" Chances are, you won't get audited, but if you do, it will be difficult to prove a business purpose.

Auditors have the right to inspect your property and allow or disallow expenses. People that deduct non-business related items are taking a chance and hoping they don't get audited. If they do, there's a whole lot of taxes, penalties, and interest they will need to pay.

That's not a "loophole" btw, it's more like speeding (when you're driving) all the time and hoping there's no cop around to catch you. Guess what happens when they do?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
We don't know what his situation really is.

We're just talking in general...I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this.

I mean we're talking about a relatively modest home (for someone of his income - I personally would be in heaven in said "modest" home) that he's renting.

If it's a business decision, how much money would he be saving considering he's a billionaire?

And if we go down the rich-guy-doing-weird-things-because-he-can route, wouldn't you expect him to spend money on a lavish chateau rather than rent a modest home?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Wow, another anti-Infiniti posts for you. Just confirms what I thought earlier. Have you ever considered how much more powerful the G37 is compared to the TSX and TL? The HP and torque is much more and 19/27 is not that bad for 330HP and almost 270lbs of torque. Look at the mpg of the TL with 280HP and 305HP engine, it is no better than the G's.

Acura needs to add a 6spd auto not just for mpg reasons b/c of the image and ridiculous it makes them have. You go on touting how sporty the TSX and Acura is yet you can't even get a 6spd auto which comes standard in a Toyota Camry. Looks ridiculous that a non-luxury family sedan with absolutely no sporty pretensions what so ever can have a 6spd auto yet a Acura TSX can not.

While your at it, why don't you blast BMW for its poor mpg performance like Infiniti's? Oh wait, maybe its b/c you have one!

The TSX is based on the Europe Accord so lets not play the Acura fanboy semantics game that, "oh there really not the same b/c of this, b/c of that" but this Infiniti or Lexus is this in another country. The TSX is a rebadged Honda Accord, accept it.

A 370z is the same thing as a G37 so why pay more? I don't know, maybe b/c the G37 has much higher quality, more refinement, better dealership experience, and is offered in a sedan forum besides coupe, to name a few. This really tells me you don't know what your talking about. I could say the same thing about the TSX then. Why pay more for that when you can get the same thing for less by getting a Accord or Civic. It is not a one way street man.
hehe, I get like 12-13MPG maybe 21 on highway if im lucky :[ But yeh, the Gs are several classes down from a m3
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I kinda want to see him throw a flux capacitor in it and make it into a time machine.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Cat/Watermelon/Lake to ALL of you.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
We don't know what his situation really is.

We're just talking in general...I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this.

I mean we're talking about a relatively modest home (for someone of his income - I personally would be in heaven in said "modest" home) that he's renting.

If it's a business decision, how much money would he be saving considering he's a billionaire?

And if we go down the rich-guy-doing-weird-things-because-he-can route, wouldn't you expect him to spend money on a lavish chateau rather than rent a modest home?

What I don't get is how you were bashing billionaire A for building a $2B skyscraper and in here bashing billionaire B for renting. Doesn't make much sense.

If you own property you have to pay for the property taxes, the repairs, etc. Renting you don't.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
What I don't get is how you were bashing billionaire A for building a $2B skyscraper and in here bashing billionaire B for renting. Doesn't make much sense.

If you own property you have to pay for the property taxes, the repairs, etc. Renting you don't.
But who cares when you're a billionaire living in a little, modest house?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

And sooooo...to take your question: Who cares when you're a billionaire living in a rented place?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Lt. Gamble

And sooooo...to take your question: Who cares when you're a billionaire living in a rented place?
Refer to all my post in this thread.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Refer to all my post in this thread.
And refer to all my posts in this thread.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

So, what came first? The chicken or the egg...?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe he still rents because he just hasn't had time to find a new place and move?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 PM

He does. I don't know why you are so hurt that he is not spending his billions frivolously.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by jchan2
Maybe he still rents because he just hasn't had time to find a new place and move?

Stop bringing logic into this thread. He rents because he is a panzie billionaire with no sense about money.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
So, what came first? The chicken or the egg...?
Ron A.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Lt. Gamble

He does. I don't know why you are so hurt that he is not spending his billions frivolously.
Hurt?

Buying property is spending money frivolously? If anything, paying rent is spending money frivolously.

Please exit this thread, stage left.

Stop bringing logic into this thread. He rents because he is a panzie billionaire with no sense about money.
Smartest post in the whole thread.

Last edited by madcaps; 10-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Lots of :gheyfight in here.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Hurt?

Buying property is spending money frivolously? If anything, paying rent is spending money frivolously.
If he doesn't need it or want it, it is. If he is on the road more than he is at home, ya...frivolous. Your only case for buying a home is because he is a billionaire. That's like saying I have to buy a tv because there are millions of channels.

Maybe he doesn't want to pay somebody to take care of his home, pay for repairs, pay property taxes, pay a gardner, etc.

Maybe he's saving all his capital for his next business venture.

Who knows.

One thing I know for sure, he doesn't need investment advice from you.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Lt. Gamble

If he doesn't need it or want it, it is. If he is on the road more than he is at home, ya...frivolous. Your only case for buying a home is because he is a billionaire. That's like saying I have to buy a tv because there are millions of channels.
How do you know what he needs or wants? You don't and neither do I. So people that travel for work shouldn't own a home? Great logic. Yea, he's a billionaire, he should own that little house, good job detective! Not so sure about that analogy, but I'll roll with it.

Maybe he doesn't want to pay somebody to take care of his home, pay for repairs, pay property taxes, pay a gardner, etc.
Who knows what he wants? But he could easily afford any cost in the upkeep of the home.

Maybe he's saving all his capital for his next business venture.
Have you seen the house he is renting? Probably not. I don't think purchasing this house would affect his capital much.

Who knows.
That's the million dollar question that nobody has an answer to except MZ.

One thing I know for sure, he doesn't need investment advice from you.
I wasn't aware that MZ was a member of A'zine and apart of this discussion, on that note, welcome MZ!!

Last edited by madcaps; 10-19-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your arguing over the tax benefits and appreciation of owning home vs. renting to someone worth billions of dollars. Granted most of his money is tied up in his ownership of face book so he doesn't have the liquid assets that some wealthy people do but even still, any monetary benefit to owning a home vs renting will not have even the slightest impact on his wealth.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:29 AM

How do you know what he needs or wants? You don't and neither do I. So people that travel for work shouldn't own a home? Great logic. Yea, he's a billionaire, he should own that little house, good job detective! Not so sure about that analogy, but I'll roll with it.

Who knows what he wants? But he could easily afford any cost in the upkeep of the home.

Have you seen the house he is renting? Probably not. I don't think purchasing this house would affect his capital much.

That's the million dollar question that nobody has an answer to except MZ.

I wasn't aware that MZ was a member of A'zine and apart of this discussion, on that note, welcome MZ!!

A whole lot of deflecting and repeating what I said. Maybe != I know.

It seems now you are being deliberately obtuse.

You still haven't made any logical case for him to buy a house, other than "he can afford it" or "he's a billionaire".

Tell me, how would buying this house that he is renting affect his investment portfolio? If it's just the modest house you describe, why would he bother?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 AM
Lt. Gamble

A whole lot of deflecting and repeating what I said. Maybe != I know.
No deflection or repeating what you said because those points of not knowing why MZ is renting were brought up way before you came into this discussion.

It seems now you are being deliberately obtuse.
Ya think? Man, you're really good at this detective work.

You still haven't made any logical case for him to buy a house, other than "he can afford it" or "he's a billionaire".
I had more to say than that, but i'm not going to reiterate my point of why I think owning property is better than renting, especially if you have the means to do so.

Tell me, how would buying this house that he is renting affect his investment portfolio? If it's just the modest house you describe, why would he bother?
Why wouldn't he bother? You don't think having equity in a home or possessing assets is good? From an investment perspective, you think paying someone else to live in a house is a much better decision than buying? Sure this little modest house may not have much of an affect on any of his investments or on any of his wealth for that matter. But if you can buy something and make a little money off it, why the hell not? Its like finding a dollar on the ground. Sure that one dollar won't make or break your bank account, but its always nice to get free money.

Last edited by madcaps; 10-19-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Wow....the :ghey: is strong with this one. I'm done.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mmafighta
hehe, I get like 12-13MPG maybe 21 on highway if im lucky :[ But yeh, the Gs are several classes down from a m3
Well, then you need to take your foot off the gas a little bit more. I know people who get low to mid 20's with a G37 with mostly highway driving so it's possible to get good gas mileage out of G or Infiniti product. Using the right kind of gas helps as well. By switching to Shell Premium exclusively, I've seen 2-3mpg improvements across the board just by switching gas brands. Now if you live in a major city, thats another story. Personally, if I lived in a major city and thus did almost all city driving, an Infiniti would be the last car I would consider. Luckily I don't!

That was someone's else's flawed comparison. I never said it was a competitor to the M series nor is it. I do believe that is why Infiniti is creating the IPL. In time, I think they are going to develop products to compete with the M line, S line, and F lines, despite that they say they aren't. I think its just a bunch of BS since they are starting off small with it and see how it sells and progresses.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I love the fact that you think this guy is sitting on all this cash and can easily buy whatever he wants. More likely he's sitting on restricted stock options (controlled by the VC's who've paid capital into the company to support it's massive growth.) Since no one here has seen any of the term sheets, we don't know what he has, or what he can do with his equity.

He's probably renting and living modestly because he doesn't have money in the bank. Why spend money to buy a house now for a year or two, when you can take your company public and start selling your stock and buy something more permanent?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Why wouldn't he bother? You don't think having equity in a home or possessing assets is good? From an investment perspective, you think paying someone else to live in a house is a much better decision than buying? Sure this little modest house may not have much of an affect on any of his investments or on any of his wealth for that matter. But if you can buy something and make a little money off it, why the hell not? Its like finding a dollar on the ground. Sure that one dollar won't make or break your bank account, but its always nice to get free money.

I never said having assets is a bad thing. You are acting as if he doesn't already have billions in assets. And now you are comparing finding a $1 on the street to buying a house. A house is not free money. It is clear you are just arguing to argue.

Quick Reply: Facebook CEO Drives an Acura TSX