Facebook CEO Drives an Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
^ Well said, as always, Mr. T.
Agreed. I don't know how Terry does it but he's got words of wisdom for every situation, it's great.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Originally Posted by madcaps
....oh geez.

Apparently you didn't read my post, so allow me to briefly reiterate.

Sure he can spend his money anyway that he wishes, duh. It just seems that someone in that tax bracket would rather invest his money into something that can build an equity and could eventually pay him back, as opposed to just throwing money away by paying rent for something he can afford with no problems. Plus, I'm sure he doesn't see it as wasting his money or not because he has so much of it, I just see it as a bad decision because if I had a quarter of what he has in the bank I would be investing and buying Real Estate and definitely not renting. But like you said, its his money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

On that note, does anyone know if he bought his TSX or did he lease it?

Edit: At least CLpower and Phile see it my way.
I did read your post...still, don't see you perspective. Again, yes...you believe there are better ways to spend his money. But, again...it's his money. So, I could care less if he blew $1M on My Little Ponies...
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Terry tells it how it is...AGAIN!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Terry tells it how it is...AGAIN!

, x2 great wisdom from Terry.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
I think your comment demonstrates how we as a society expect those in a strong financial position to carry themselves. How we expect them to demonstrate their wealth to us. It's perverse that we determine a girlfriend is merely something to "buy", meant to impress others and nothing else.

Everything is subjective. Everyone is trying to determine what car and home (and now what girlfriend) would be suitable for him. Why? Maybe he's more interested and committed to running his business than worrying about some exotic car. Maybe he'd rather do without the distractions of home ownership at this point in his life as well.

Whatever he decides to drive, where he decides to live, and who he decides to date is up to him. I don't really know much about the guy, but if this is the way he decides to carry himself regardless of his wealth, then his actions speak volumes of his confidence. More so than any material item ever could.

Terry
Well said, agree with you 100%
Old 10-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
I think your comment demonstrates how we as a society expect those in a strong financial position to carry themselves. How we expect them to demonstrate their wealth to us. It's perverse that we determine a girlfriend is merely something to "buy", meant to impress others and nothing else.

Everything is subjective. Everyone is trying to determine what car and home (and now what girlfriend) would be suitable for him. Why? Maybe he's more interested and committed to running his business than worrying about some exotic car. Maybe he'd rather do without the distractions of home ownership at this point in his life as well.

Whatever he decides to drive, where he decides to live, and who he decides to date is up to him. I don't really know much about the guy, but if this is the way he decides to carry himself regardless of his wealth, then his actions speak volumes of his confidence. More so than any material item ever could.

Terry
Worrying? Distractions? The guy has tons of money and I doubt owning his own home or having a nicer car would cause either (which I could careless what kind of car he drives, I just think renting when you could own is foolish).

I did read your post...still,don't see you perspective. Again, yes...you believe there are better ways to spend his money. But, again...it's his money. So, I could care less if he blew $1M on My Little Ponies...

Its pretty simple. Owning property is better than renting. Got it now? Good.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Worrying? Distractions? The guy has tons of money and I doubt owning his own home or having a nicer car would cause either (which I could careless what kind of car he drives, I just think renting when you could own is foolish).

Its pretty simple. Owning property is better than renting. Got it now? Good.
Sure...So is owning a Civic over my FX50S because of fuel prices and maintenance...?

Who cares if he rents or not? To us mortals, yeah...maybe foolish since we earn a few zeros less. But, he's a bazillionaire.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-16-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
It might not be financially ideal to rent a house at Zuckerberg's presumed high level of income, but it's his money, he has a lot of it, so who are we to care about or tell him how to spend it?

Do it in the garage...the sound reverberates that way.
Well yes but you of all people wouldn't want to stain that garage floor now, would you?

Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
The Acura TSX is actually an Entry Level Luxury Sports Sedan, believe it or not.
Those are way too many adjectives for one car.

IMO sports sedans are cars like the G35, 335/M3, C63, and the TL to an extent.

The TSX is a FWD 4-cylinder or V6 family sedan with plenty of tech features. IMO even the V6 isn't significantly powerful, and even if it was the fact that it isn't available with a 6 speed speaks about Acura's intentions for the car.

From what I've read it handles well, but not exceptionally well.

I like the TSX, but I don't think it's particularly sporty or luxurious. Technically speaking it's a Honda Accord in Europe and Japan.

My
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts

Again, it's a matter of preference and priorities. To many, a more expensive car doesn't really equate into greater happiness. If he enjoys what he drives and it appeals to him, then all the power to him.

Not knowing his circumstances, he may actually feel renting is more beneficial than purchasing at this time. He's obviously involved with Facebook in a large capacity, and maybe having an extravagant home and all it's subsequent responsibility doesn't appeal to him. From a financial standpoint, something earning 1-2% appreciation (if that in today's economic climate), taxes, upkeep, and maintenance may be other considerations. There are a number like him, for whatever reason, prefer to maintain a particular lifestyle. Warren Buffett still resides in the home he purchased in 1957 for $31,000.

Terry
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Lt. Gamble

Sure...So is owning a Civic over my FX50S because of fuel prices and maintenance...?

Who cares if he rents or not? To us mortals, yeah...maybe foolish since we earn a few zeros less. But, he's a bazillionaire.
Wow, that was a horrible comparison. Comparing car maintenance to property ownership . Now comparing leasing to buying would have been a better example IMO . Either you're trolling or its quite obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Exactly, he's a billionaire! So where is the harm with him going and gathering some change out of his couch cushions to buy a $500k house?

It seems we have come to a stalemate on this discussion and I'm done beating this dead horse with you.

Last edited by madcaps; 10-16-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
I disagree with Terry....This nerd should have a hot girlfriend and a Corvette.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
His name is almost as well knows as Bill Gates? I don't think so.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers

but yeah she's
Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Do it in the garage...the sound reverberates that way.
I'm never thinking of your garage in the same way again..
Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

I disagree with Terry....This nerd should have a lowered Infinity (sic), a condo in Jersey and leave cash/jewels all over the bedroom.
:fixed:
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
:fixed:
Old 10-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow, that was a horrible comparison. Comparing car maintenance to property ownership . Now comparing leasing to buying would have been a better example IMO . Either you're trolling or its quite obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

Exactly, he's a billionaire! So where is the harm with him going and gathering some change out of his couch cushions to buy a $500k house?

It seems we have come to a stalemate on this discussion and I'm done beating this dead horse with you.
And where's the harm in him renting a place...?

I really have no idea where you're going either. And nope...why in the world would I be trolling? Kinda goes against my job description on this forum...
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Actually kinda cool to see that money didn't change him. I think its good to stay with a woman thats by your side through poor and rich, through hard and easy times. Ask Donald Trump how many millions of dollars he lose to a hot ex-wife.
But renting a house over buying a nice one, that one really stumps me. lol
Old 10-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Lt. Gamble

And where's the harm in him renting a place...?

I really have no idea where you're going either. And nope...why in the world would I be trolling? Kinda goes against my job description on this forum...
Because nobody can be that stupid without it being intentional. I've stated numerous times the advantages of owning property compared to renting and if you don't understand my point by now, then there is nothing more I can say to help you.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Because nobody can be that stupid without it being intentional. I've stated numerous times the advantages of owning property compared to renting and if you don't understand my point by now, then there is nothing more I can say to help you.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they need "help". I think you're trying to apply a one size fits all rule to everyone's needs and desires and it doesn't work that way. Just because you "state" something doesn't mean it's right, and doesn't make everyone else stupid for not agreeing with you.

Of course investing in real estate is a great way to build equity, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing for a person to do based on their lifestyle, needs, where they are currently in life, and where they may want to go in life. Did you ever think that maybe he doesn't want to deal with the upkeep of owning a home. I know what you'll say that, he can hire someone to do it for him. Fine, but what if he doesn't want to spend the money on that. What if he also doesn't want to worry about property tax payments? There are many reasons people choose not to own vs continuing to rent. Some just don't want the responsibility of owning. For individuals that don't ever plan on having kids/family, it kinda makes sense to me. Not that, this is the case with him because none of us know that. But for you to think that everyone who chooses to rent is in the head, is very short-sighted on your part.

I've heard of many people that take the money they save by not buying a property and using that money towards investing in other ways (Stock market, bonds, funds, investing in start ups) and making just as much, if not more money than they would have by buying real estate.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 10-17-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
I remember a CBS or ABC interview the CEO of Google and he was driving a used Accord. The host asked why he drove it, the CEO said it was dependable.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I agree with the sentiment of about what he drives

My friend's dad is pretty loaded, I'm sure. He's an architect who designed several local restaurants/stores and I think he even worked on a shopping mall. He lives very modestly - drives an older Infiniti, and at least of the times I've seen him, he doesn't dress all flashy or anything.

If the Facebook CEO drove an Carrera GT, that would be pretty cool, but why should anyone give a shit? Now, if he owned a McLaren F1 or something... now that's newsworthy. The only reason why I know that Mr. Bean owns a McLaren is cause that fucker crashed it.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 AM

Ludacris said his favorite car is a 2G Legend
Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they need "help". I think you're trying to apply a one size fits all rule to everyone's needs and desires and it doesn't work that way. Just because you "state" something doesn't mean it's right, and doesn't make everyone else stupid for not agreeing with you.

I don't consider it a rule, just a smart suggestion.

It seemed like to me that Yumcha didn't understand my point of view regardless if he agreed with me or not. Plus, I wasn't the only one in this thread, or in the real world, to say its foolish to rent when you can own... especially if you're a billionaire! Everyone else? I think I was talking to Yumcha and not you or anybody else for that matter (Yeah, yeah, its a public forum..blah, blah), how cute, one Mod coming to the rescue of another. :gheyfight:

Of course investing in real estate is a great way to build equity, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing for a person to do based on their lifestyle, needs, where they are currently in life, and where they may want to go in life.
You have valid points here..for someone that isn't a billionaire. Sure the average Joe has to consider quite a few things before purchasing a home, it's a big decision. However, I'm sure Mr. Zuckerberg is pretty comfortable on where he is in life and I'm sure he knows what direction it is going.

Did you ever think that maybe he doesn't want to deal with the upkeep of owning a home. I know what you'll say that, he can hire someone to do it for him. Fine, but what if he doesn't want to spend the money on that. What if he also doesn't want to worry about property tax payments? There are many reasons people choose not to own vs continuing to rent.

What would it cost yearly for a gardner or maid for the size of the home he lives in? Maybe $1k-$2K a year. Watch out Mr. Zuckerberg you might want to chill on the spending because the upkeep on your home is getting out of hand! Give me a break. Property tax? I'm sure he can handle property tax on a $500K home (Just to clarify, I saw the tour of his rental home and this price is just a guesstimation, but even if the house was $1M, I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems affording the property tax.). Since you're so worried about cost, I think it would be more expensive for him pay rent instead of owning in the long run. Would you agree? At least with owning you can recover some of the expenses on the house when selling, shit you can even make a little money too, unlike renting where the money goes straight into someone elses pocket.

Some just don't want the responsibility of owning
Probably the smartest thing you said in your whole post and the only reason why I would think Mr. Zuckerberg is renting a home.

For individuals that don't ever plan on having kids/family, it kinda makes sense to me. Not that, this is the case with him because none of us know that. But for you to think that everyone who chooses to rent is in the head, is very short-sighted on your part.
Everyone? Damn, I guess that means I'm calling myself "screwy".

See here is your problem. You continually keep putting Mr. Zuckerberg into the same class as the average person. Since he is not, this is the reason why think its screwy for a billionaire not to own his own home. And I never said this pertains to everyone because not everyone has the same financial advantages as Mr. Zuckerberg. Allow me to reiterate my main point. I THINK IT IS FOOLISH FOR A BILLIONAIRE TO RENT A HOUSE AND NOT OWN HIS OWN HOME, THIS WAS MY ARGUMENT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE THREAD, SO PLEASE STOP TWISTING MY WORDS INTO SAYING THAT MY OPINION PERTAINS TO EVERYONE (I'm not yelling, just thought you could read the words better if the letters were larger)..thank you.

I've heard of many people that take the money they save by not buying a property and using that money towards investing in other ways (Stock market, bonds, funds, investing in start ups) and making just as much, if not more money than they would have by buying real estate.
When I used the word investing in my post, I wasn't referring to becoming a Real Estate investor and scooping up on a bunch of properties at once. Owning one home IS an investment. Sure people can invest into whatever venture they want, but land on the planet is limited and that is why its one the smartest investments you can make, plus I'm sure those successful in Stocks, Bonds and the lonely entrepreneur would agree with that (I will probably get for that comment considering where we are because of the housing market, oh well ).

Ok, I think I'm done with this thread...ahh who am I kidding, I cant wait to read your rebuttle.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
In summary: A whole bunch of shit no one is going to read.
Hey dude, this isn't R&P, no need too post such a long reply ever.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
What would it cost yearly for a gardner or maid for the size of the home he lives in? Maybe $1k-$2K a year.
Owning one home IS an investment.
A few thoughts here:
1) Using a maid or other in-home help means letting more people into the house, which is a security concern. We all know how concerned Mr. Zuckerberg is with security.
2) IDK about MZ's liquidity, but he has not been a billionaire for very long and may just be in the process of getting his first house/estate. It took us over a year to find our little house, and normally it takes me over a year to select a new car.
3) MZ may be satisfied with where he is and does not want the distraction of moving-- the opportunity cost of buying a $500K home and moving may cost him millions in company (and personal) value if he is distracted during expansion or merger activity.

Hey, his GF may have nice ...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Je t'aime...

Originally Posted by Aman
It might not be financially ideal to rent a house at Zuckerberg's presumed high level of income, but it's his money, he has a lot of it, so who are we to care about or tell him how to spend it?

Well yes but you of all people wouldn't want to stain that garage floor now, would you?

Those are way too many adjectives for one car.

IMO sports sedans are cars like the G35, 335/M3, C63, and the TL to an extent.

The TSX is a FWD 4-cylinder or V6 family sedan with plenty of tech features. IMO even the V6 isn't significantly powerful, and even if it was the fact that it isn't available with a 6 speed speaks about Acura's intentions for the car.

From what I've read it handles well, but not exceptionally well.

I like the TSX, but I don't think it's particularly sporty or luxurious. Technically speaking it's a Honda Accord in Europe and Japan.

My
I would never put the G sedan in the league of the M3 or C63. The G Sedan fails to compare to the likes of the M3 or C63. In terms of performance, quality, luxury, and handling. The M3 is 1 second slower than the R8 V8 on the Nurb ring. The G isn't. You putting the G sedan in the leagues of the M3 and C63 makes me feel like you are insulting the M/AMG line up or giving the G too much credit.

The G sedan is more of a competitor of the TL, 335i Sedan/Coupe. I believe that people think the G Sedan is sports, because of the performance. That leaves it with a question, then why isn't the G sedan in any race tournaments? Even the TSX was in touring races, the IS, A4, and C300 also. Even the 328i/325i.

If you think Acura isn't luxurious then its your call, because you pay for what you get for. Speaking that the TSX is almost 12K cheaper than the G Sedan. 12K more you get performance, and these little luxurious features that you probably won't end up usually. I like to see that Acura offers you the "right" amount of luxury and right "amount" of performance. Yeah, the G Sedan is faster, but are you really gonna use all that performance? If you want a sports car buy the 370Z, don't pay more for a G Sedan. The G Sedan to me is just a Mid-Size family car with a big engine that won't be used.

Acura doesn't exist in Japan or Europe, so technically its not a Honda Accord, rather its based of the Honda Accord. Material used to make the TSX and the Euro R Accord is different. Even different engine. K20 vs K24.

To finish off, you do know Infiniti, and Lexus don't exist in Japan right?

So an Infiniti G Sedan is just a Nissan Skyline GT, no biggie. The Lexus IS is just some car by Crown (another car company by Toyota that's in Japan) so no biggie. A lot of cars are based off another car from another company if they are the same company.

Also, I'm adding that when people say "Acura isn't adding 6speed." You know whats funny? It gets good MPG than the G Sedan with a 5AT V6 vs a 7AT V6. Just funny. Acura isn't doing it because its like "oh, we don't think this car goes anywhere lets not do it." They are not doing it, because they don't need a 6AT or 7AT to have good MPG. The G's MPG is horrible for a 7AT V6, drinks like crazy. My friend G last a week before fill up.

Last edited by HondaOnWORKS; 10-17-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by Never Summer
Hey dude, this isn't R&P, no need too post such a long reply ever.
Then move on and STFU. My post wasn't intended for you to read, it was a response to Sly Raskal. Plus, I didn't know there was a criteria for post length on this forum or any forum for that matter.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
I would never put the G sedan in the league of the M3 or C63. The G Sedan fails to compare to the likes of the M3 or C63. In terms of performance, quality, luxury, and handling. The M3 is 1 second slower than the R8 V8 on the Nurb ring. The G isn't. You putting the G sedan in the leagues of the M3 and C63 makes me feel like you are insulting the M/AMG line up or giving the G too much credit.

The G sedan is more of a competitor of the TL, 335i Sedan/Coupe. I believe that people think the G Sedan is sports, because of the performance. That leaves it with a question, then why isn't the G sedan in any race tournaments? Even the TSX was in touring races, the IS, A4, and C300 also. Even the 328i/325i.

If you think Acura isn't luxurious then its your call, because you pay for what you get for. Speaking that the TSX is almost 12K cheaper than the G Sedan. 12K more you get performance, and these little luxurious features that you probably won't end up usually. I like to see that Acura offers you the "right" amount of luxury and right "amount" of performance. Yeah, the G Sedan is faster, but are you really gonna use all that performance? If you want a sports car buy the 370Z, don't pay more for a G Sedan. The G Sedan to me is just a Mid-Size family car with a big engine that won't be used.

Acura doesn't exist in Japan or Europe, so technically its not a Honda Accord, rather its based of the Honda Accord. Material used to make the TSX and the Euro R Accord is different. Even different engine. K20 vs K24.

To finish off, you do know Infiniti, and Lexus don't exist in Japan right?

So an Infiniti G Sedan is just a Nissan Skyline GT, no biggie. The Lexus IS is just some car by Crown (another car company by Toyota that's in Japan) so no biggie. A lot of cars are based off another car from another company if they are the same company.

Also, I'm adding that when people say "Acura isn't adding 6speed." You know whats funny? It gets good MPG than the G Sedan with a 5AT V6 vs a 7AT V6. Just funny. Acura isn't doing it because its like "oh, we don't think this car goes anywhere lets not do it." They are not doing it, because they don't need a 6AT or 7AT to have good MPG. The G's MPG is horrible for a 7AT V6, drinks like crazy. My friend G last a week before fill up.
Wow, another anti-Infiniti posts for you. Just confirms what I thought earlier. Have you ever considered how much more powerful the G37 is compared to the TSX and TL? The HP and torque is much more and 19/27 is not that bad for 330HP and almost 270lbs of torque. Look at the mpg of the TL with 280HP and 305HP engine, it is no better than the G's.

Acura needs to add a 6spd auto not just for mpg reasons b/c of the image and ridiculous it makes them have. You go on touting how sporty the TSX and Acura is yet you can't even get a 6spd auto which comes standard in a Toyota Camry. Looks ridiculous that a non-luxury family sedan with absolutely no sporty pretensions what so ever can have a 6spd auto yet a Acura TSX can not.

While your at it, why don't you blast BMW for its poor mpg performance like Infiniti's? Oh wait, maybe its b/c you have one!

The TSX is based on the Europe Accord so lets not play the Acura fanboy semantics game that, "oh there really not the same b/c of this, b/c of that" but this Infiniti or Lexus is this in another country. The TSX is a rebadged Honda Accord, accept it.

A 370z is the same thing as a G37 so why pay more? I don't know, maybe b/c the G37 has much higher quality, more refinement, better dealership experience, and is offered in a sedan forum besides coupe, to name a few. This really tells me you don't know what your talking about. I could say the same thing about the TSX then. Why pay more for that when you can get the same thing for less by getting a Accord or Civic. It is not a one way street man.

Last edited by smarty666; 10-17-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
What's with all of the Infinity hate? I know someone who can get a great lease for them in Jersey.. I bought my G with my own money and I do not regret the purchase at all. I also need four doors for my dog. It's quick, comfortable, and puts a smile on my face when I drive it.

Back on topic..... I give MZ credit for maintaining a low key lifestyle and not having a trophy.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5

Back on topic..... I give MZ credit for maintaining a low key lifestyle and not having a trophy.
:agreed: and well stated!!

Honestly speaking, if I came into a windfall (i.e.: 9-figure powerball), the most I'd do carwise is payoff my 09 MDX and then maybe pick up a current gen AV6 EX-L.

Then again, I'm an old fart who's not prone towards profligacy!!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Me too. In fact I'm pretty irate that little asshole drives a TSX and has a busted girlfriend. Makes me wanna vom.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't consider it a rule, just a smart suggestion.

It seemed like to me that Yumcha didn't understand my point of view regardless if he agreed with me or not. Plus, I wasn't the only one in this thread, or in the real world, to say its foolish to rent when you can own... especially if you're a billionaire! Everyone else? I think I was talking to Yumcha and not you or anybody else for that matter (Yeah, yeah, its a public forum..blah, blah), how cute, one Mod coming to the rescue of another. :gheyfight:

You have valid points here..for someone that isn't a billionaire. Sure the average Joe has to consider quite a few things before purchasing a home, it's a big decision. However, I'm sure Mr. Zuckerberg is pretty comfortable on where he is in life and I'm sure he knows what direction it is going.

What would it cost yearly for a gardner or maid for the size of the home he lives in? Maybe $1k-$2K a year. Watch out Mr. Zuckerberg you might want to chill on the spending because the upkeep on your home is getting out of hand! Give me a break. Property tax? I'm sure he can handle property tax on a $500K home (Just to clarify, I saw the tour of his rental home and this price is just a guesstimation, but even if the house was $1M, I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems affording the property tax.). Since you're so worried about cost, I think it would be more expensive for him pay rent instead of owning in the long run. Would you agree? At least with owning you can recover some of the expenses on the house when selling, shit you can even make a little money too, unlike renting where the money goes straight into someone elses pocket.

Probably the smartest thing you said in your whole post and the only reason why I would think Mr. Zuckerberg is renting a home.

Everyone? Damn, I guess that means I'm calling myself "screwy".

See here is your problem. You continually keep putting Mr. Zuckerberg into the same class as the average person. Since he is not, this is the reason why think its screwy for a billionaire not to own his own home. And I never said this pertains to everyone because not everyone has the same financial advantages as Mr. Zuckerberg. Allow me to reiterate my main point. I THINK IT IS FOOLISH FOR A BILLIONAIRE TO RENT A HOUSE AND NOT OWN HIS OWN HOME, THIS WAS MY ARGUMENT THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE THREAD, SO PLEASE STOP TWISTING MY WORDS INTO SAYING THAT MY OPINION PERTAINS TO EVERYONE (I'm not yelling, just thought you could read the words better if the letters were larger)..thank you.

When I used the word investing in my post, I wasn't referring to becoming a Real Estate investor and scooping up on a bunch of properties at once. Owning one home IS an investment. Sure people can invest into whatever venture they want, but land on the planet is limited and that is why its one the smartest investments you can make, plus I'm sure those successful in Stocks, Bonds and the lonely entrepreneur would agree with that (I will probably get for that comment considering where we are because of the housing market, oh well ).

Ok, I think I'm done with this thread...ahh who am I kidding, I cant wait to read your rebuttle.
I think you need to calm down...And nope, Anil was not coming to "my rescue". I don't need saving from you, thank-you.

We can continue down this tangent forever and you'll probably get angrier and angrier anyhow. There are heaps of millionaires I know who refuse to buy cars and just go leasing high-end European cars (i.e. BMW, Porsche, Land Rover). They switch out every 2 years for something else...And based on your sentiments, it is terrible investment on their part too and they are idiots. Yes?

Keep in mind, do I agree with what they do with their $$$ in regards to cars? Not really...but, again, does make them stupid?

Let's put it this way: Agree to disagree.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Terry

My first thought when I saw the title was... who cares
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
The richer you are the more it makes sense to rent. Being that rich means you can indulge whims like moving around the country/world when you get bored with where you live.

Look at all the bankrupt celebrities with $20M mansions
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I think if I were in his position, instead of renting the house that he currently rents (which is not some lavish celebrity-like mansion), I would purchase said house.

it doesn't make any economical sense to rent the current house that he rents when he can afford to buy it.

I think that's the sentiment that I and a couple of people are getting at.

No one's stating that with all of his money, he should be fabulous.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
I think if I were in his position, instead of renting the house that he currently rents (which is not some lavish celebrity-like mansion), I would purchase said house.

it doesn't make any economical sense to rent the current house that he rents when he can afford to buy it.

I think that's the sentiment that I and a couple of people are getting at.

No one's stating that with all of his money, he should be fabulous.
Certainly...but, honestly, when you're that rich, does the decision on a dwelling really have to make sense...?

For sure, for a regular Joe like us, buying over renting (or leasing) makes sense for all big-ticket items...

But, as Terry has said...we don't know the guy's situation or his rationale either.

Last edited by Yumcha; 10-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Guys, there are SO many other issues in deciding whether to rent or own like taxes, residency, estate planning, possible impending marriage, etc that there is NO way we can figure out why he rents.

Hell, maybe the guy just has a fear of commitment! Maybe he LOVES the house, but the owner wants to wait to sell it, so is renting it for a few years before selling it. Maybe he doesn't want to accumulate any real property in light of possible litigation. Who knows.

For us to try to figure it out makes less sense than a picture of a cat pushing a watermelon out of a lake.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Guys, there are SO many other issues in deciding whether to rent or own like taxes, residency, estate planning, possible impending marriage, etc that there is NO way we can figure out why he rents.

Hell, maybe the guy just has a fear of commitment! Maybe he LOVES the house, but the owner wants to wait to sell it, so is renting it for a few years before selling it. Maybe he doesn't want to accumulate any real property in light of possible litigation. Who knows.

For us to try to figure it out makes less sense than a picture of a cat pushing a watermelon out of a lake.
Ahh yes, we can all thank my wife for finding that picture..

Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
:agreed: and well stated!!

Honestly speaking, if I came into a windfall (i.e.: 9-figure powerball), the most I'd do carwise is payoff my 09 MDX and then maybe pick up a current gen AV6 EX-L.

Then again, I'm an old fart who's not prone towards profligacy!!
I'd rock a CTS-V or E63 and put my fiancee in the safest SUV under 60k. That's about it.....

Quick Reply: Facebook CEO Drives an Acura TSX