Ever sell a car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JJaber06
While I agree, selling the car because of a tiny problem is a pretty stupid move.
I don't think many people here would sell their car because of any tiny problem, or even if it only occurred a few times. I think it's reasonable for things to need repair. However, if after numerous failures of the same part (a design defect or unsatisfactory solution), and after allowing different mechanics to fix it, why would you want to hang onto the car for it to fail again? ....You'll throw tons of money into a vicious cycle of repair for the same issue.

It would need to be an expensive repair, or lots of small repairs that just continually eat up my time and patience (eg: needing to take the car to the shop ALL the time) that would probably throw me over.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Am I the only multi-Acura owner who hasn't had transmission issues and rattles?
That's probably the reason why you're still a multi-Acura owner
Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I have a couple rattles here and there. They're not that often so I can somewhat put up with them, but if they were frequent it would drive me nuts. Rattles are like Chinese water torture
Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Maybe one day when you actually buy a car with your own money AND pay for the maintenance yourself AND the insurance...ie a complete and true owner experience. Then, you may have an inkling of how Scrib is feeling right now.
Well apparently you managed you scraped up my credit card report to see where my money is going. The joy of assumptions over the internet...I wonder where all the money I make from my job is going Well I am getting raped on insurance, which happens to be under my name...I did just change my oil, trans fluid, and brakes...I should probably look into it. Wait..it doesn't matter, Sarlacc is the financial advisor for anyone under 21 with a nicer car than he had growing up

Regardless, I would take the car to a tuning shop with a camber kit if the cars allignment was really that bad. Sounds like all you really need is the front camber fixed, I think those kits run pretty cheap. Install + reallignment and be done with it...
Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by iTimmy
I disagree, what happens if something not so small breaks and your stuck dealing with the same shitty service? Its not a gamble I'm willing to take, you could call it spite, but I would call it damage control.

well thats a different story. we're talking about alignment here.

just fix it and get on with life
Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Am I the only multi-Acura owner who hasn't had transmission issues and rattles?

Nope, 2 Acuras, and no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trancemission

Currently we are talking about just an alignment, but like I said what if something larger, something costly to repair breaks and your stuck in the same situation?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission

First off, who pissed in your cheerios? Secondly, we're not talking about an alignment. And I'm no expert, but a camber issue can't simply be fixed on the alignment rack.

I've never said I was going to sell the car (other than openly stating I'm "looking" at 3-series; but have been for months), that I'm done with Acura, etc. I don't even know what the outcome is yet and Acura's position.

Regardless, your comments aren't well justified nor appreciated.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
No, I was just riffing on the 2G TLs; the 3G 5AT auto trans does not have any issues. Some 3G 6Ms have had a 3d-gear shifting/pop-out problem which is solved by a change of trans fluids.

So far, I drove my TL back to the dealership only to pick up touch-up paint, buy wiper blade inserts and look at the TL-S. I'm pretty happy with my car and may buy it off the lease I'm on now, unless I run across an NSX screaming my name.
I'm not sure about what Honda/Acura has done with the TL for this issue, but there is a TSB for transmission replacement on the Civic Si, which exhibits the very same behavior. And let me tell you, it is completely maddening, and has made me want to jump ship a few times.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Regardless, your comments aren't well justified nor appreciated.
Sorry Eric, I hope Acura takes care if the problem.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
No offense meant, Scrib, but Trancemission was simply stating his personal opinion, just like others did in this thread. I do agree that an alignment issues can be a minor repair, and that, in your case, has never even been properly diagnosed/fixed (so there can be a permanent solution once the proper fix is done). As others have mentioned, a camber kit isn't too expensive (I don't know from personal experience, but believe them). However, I certainly DO understand your upset and frustration over a problem that you've endured for a while now.