Doing my part to save the manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I've never liked the Wranglers and always just considered them to be largely a fad vehicle for hipsters. Then I watched some reviews of the new 2018 Jeep and was shocked to see that they really went out of their way to truly make it a modern car (truck, whatever) that somebody like me could actually accept as a practical purchase. It still has all of the cool, rugged aspects that its always done well, but now there is stuff like the TFT display in the gauge cluster, the trick installation of the backup camera into the spare tire rack, and the LED running lights on the fenders. At the end of the day, the Wrangler is still not really a vehicle for me, but it is no longer a laughably dated relic like it has been for so long. Now its a fully modern and viable car that still has all the old-school functionality (including the useless buy very cool folding windshield) that CJ's have been known for.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
I agree, definitely more modern and while I really enjoy it, I'm glad it's not my DD. With the soft top up, it's hard to have a conversation with anyone, I'm averaging 15 mpg, the dealers down here are terrible, it leaks when it rains so it always smells mildewy, and trying to keep it straight on the interstate makes for a tiring drive. Fun with the doors off and cruising to the beach but I can't imagine driving it to work every day and I get it, it isn't met to be a smooth driver but figured I would add to your post.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I've never liked the Wranglers and always just considered them to be largely a fad vehicle for hipsters. Then I watched some reviews of the new 2018 Jeep and was shocked to see that they really went out of their way to truly make it a modern car (truck, whatever) that somebody like me could actually accept as a practical purchase. It still has all of the cool, rugged aspects that its always done well, but now there is stuff like the TFT display in the gauge cluster, the trick installation of the backup camera into the spare tire rack, and the LED running lights on the fenders. At the end of the day, the Wrangler is still not really a vehicle for me, but it is no longer a laughably dated relic like it has been for so long. Now its a fully modern and viable car that still has all the old-school functionality (including the useless buy very cool folding windshield) that CJ's have been known for.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I agree, definitely more modern and while I really enjoy it, I'm glad it's not my DD. With the soft top up, it's hard to have a conversation with anyone, I'm averaging 15 mpg, the dealers down here are terrible, it leaks when it rains so it always smells mildewy, and trying to keep it straight on the interstate makes for a tiring drive. Fun with the doors off and cruising to the beach but I can't imagine driving it to work every day and I get it, it isn't met to be a smooth driver but figured I would add to your post.
For sure, if I had the $$$ to buy a second new car I think the new Wrangler would absolutely be a blast to buy. Enjoy that thing man!
The following users liked this post:
1StGenCL (07-07-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Had a blast getting muddy and the JL did really well. Everyone had 35's up except my 33's but I never got stuck and everyone was impressed how well the JL did.

RM0LCTq.mp4
Full video including the South Florida version of mountains https://i.imgur.com/RM0LCTq.mp4
Doing my part to save the manual-u090pjz.jpg
Doing my part to save the manual-egsb3ui.jpg
Right before winching himself out
Doing my part to save the manual-q6yvzuo.jpg

SoFloJeeps was out there but they were a little too hardcore for us.
Doing my part to save the manual-f51ailw.png
Doing my part to save the manual-kigqoii.png

The water was pretty salty so I soaked the undercarriage, foamed it, and then foamed the rest so she's all clean again.
Doing my part to save the manual-o5lvqkd.jpg

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 07-16-2018 at 08:11 AM.
wackjum (07-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
I've been seeing a few of the new Jeeps running around Houston. If there were more than just mudding around here, I'd possible be swayed into a 4wd.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Finally got some side steps! I still need to figure out why the lights won’t light up on opening the door but wife is happy.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:21 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Went with the ROAMs? They seem to be a big hit on the forums
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Yep, preordered in, I think May. Anthony was great to work with and always super responsive via email. I know the forums started to get impatient with him but UPS really screwed him according to forum members that stopped by his place. Build quality appears to be great and he did an outstanding job of packing and protecting them for shipping, plus I think they are the best looking. I wasn't thrilled about the cutout that showed the pinch seam but with the blackout plate, it looks great. I know they aren't a true slider but we have no rocks in South Florida so I wasn't that concerned.

I wanted to pick up one of his front bumpers to support the guy but they were a little too aggressive for me but may swap mine out for something he produces in the future.

The worst part about having a new model is waiting for everything. I ordered these mirrors in May (I think it was May) and they were supposed to ship the end of July, then August 1st, then late August, and now I think it's September 5th. I have the air vent mount round mirrors because the hinge mounts were low and useless IMO but I'm just waiting to be pulled. Also waiting for RainGear to get their half covers out for our spur of the moment rain storms that South Florida has daily and then some LED headlights.

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Went with the ROAMs? They seem to be a big hit on the forums
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Saw that some people had some damage to their sliders due to UPS.

That's a pretty creative mirror mount, I would assume that it'll be pretty damn sturdy.

I was looking at the Lange mirrors, but like you said a lot of people are facing release/production delays. I'm hopeful that more aftermarket parts will be coming to market, especially with SEMA in a few months. I'm mostly waiting to see what changes come with the 2019s and I'll probably put an order in when it becomes available
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I'm curious about about the 2019's as well and I'm curious to see what people think of the sky roof or whatever.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:25 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Picked up some cool Jeep mats that have a built in drain plug. You remove the carpet cutout for the drain plug, pull it from the tub, align the mat over the hole and snap it in, then put the factory plug in the mat. Off roading and rain were taking their toll on the carpet mats and with these, I may just pull the carpet out so I don't have to worry about soggy carpet anymore.

Plug In
Doing my part to save the manual-0ftrxio.jpg
Plug Out
Doing my part to save the manual-w91xayf.jpg
Back
Doing my part to save the manual-gc4nody.jpg

Ended up with the Husky Liner in the back because while the Jeep liner allowed you to open the under carpet storage easily, the Husky has better coverage.
Doing my part to save the manual-sdzolnx.jpg
I was also, finally able to get the soft top window storage bag. This thing has been MIA since the JL came out and was supposed to come with my Jeep. Numerous phone calls to Jeep had me buy the JK one saying it would fit and it doesn't so after a few more calls (a lot more calls) they finally got me the correct one. On the plus side, Jeep paid for the first one and said they would reimburse me the $150 for this one. Once the windows are in, this hangs behind the rear seats, keeping them from getting scratched up and more importantly, keeping my dining table clear
Doing my part to save the manual-hyrk8yw.jpg

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 08-09-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Oh, forgot I added a dash cam too. People are crazy down here so I felt naked without it. Only downside is I tend to pull it down when I leave the Wrangler because I feel it's only a matter of time before someone snags it.
Doing my part to save the manual-p3vl89k.jpg
Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Pretty neat with the mats, definitely makes sense on a Jeep/off road/open top vehicle.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

How did you wire the dash cam?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Easy if you have the homelink or power mirror but I don’t (I have the wiring guides when you get the JLUR). I ran the wire down the pillar and to the back of the cig lighter so only on when the car is on. I didn’t want it on the windshield because it stands out more but the plastic headliner isn’t thick enough to keep it stable so it needs to go on the windshield.

How did you wire the dash cam?
Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
That's genius how they integrated the all-weather mats with the drain plug in the floorpan. Get those tubular doors too

The purists tend to doubt or get surprised by new models, I don't know why. Maybe sometimes they get mad when, see, say, a mostly stock rig keep up with their heavily modified trucks. And a stereotype should never interfere with you enjoying your vehicle. I don't think anyone here would stop themselves from getting a V because Cadillac's are "geriatrics' cars". I know I wouldn't.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the mats, as for the tube doors, I don't get them. I like to run with no doors at all but my wife insists I put them on the back for the dogs. Therefor, I usually have the fronts off but not sure what the tubes do, keep you in the car? Look cool? When I went to the Jeep dealer last week to pick that window bag up, the service advisor asked if was afraid to fall out or have my phone fall out

As for the V, geriatrics wouldn't scare me from buying it but knowing that Jeremy has the Vagon scares me

Originally Posted by Costco
That's genius how they integrated the all-weather mats with the drain plug in the floorpan. Get those tubular doors too

The purists tend to doubt or get surprised by new models, I don't know why. Maybe sometimes they get mad when, see, say, a mostly stock rig keep up with their heavily modified trucks. And a stereotype should never interfere with you enjoying your vehicle. I don't think anyone here would stop themselves from getting a V because Cadillac's are "geriatrics' cars". I know I wouldn't.
rockstar143 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Well there you are...

Love this thread, hadn't realized how in depth your modding had gotten...kick ass, man!
1StGenCL (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
They look cool, can be used as an armrest, and in an accident, could keep your limbs inside or prevent some thing from flying into you

I mean even running no doors on the street is pointless at first glance. But I would do it if I had a Wrangler
1StGenCL (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

True but I love some open door cruising, closest I can get to another bike

In other news, I almost bought some 35's locally but luckily someone beat me to it.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:32 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
True but I love some open door cruising, closest I can get to another bike

In other news, I almost bought some 35's locally but luckily someone beat me to it.

Dude... just do it! There are people running 40s on stock rubi axles and 4.10 gears... they're saying it drives like stock... #jackiechan

People are loving that new transmission, given I'm comparing to rubis with automatic transmissions

Welcome to Jeep life :P
Old 08-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

While I know you told me I’d regret 33’s (you were right), it’s nice to work into spending all your money haha I really want 37’s and I’m regretting not getting a Rubi simply for being able to run 37s and the lockers, doh.

Dude... just do it! There are people running 40s on stock rubi axles and 4.10 gears... they're saying it drives like stock... #jackiechan

People are loving that new transmission, given I'm comparing to rubis with automatic transmissions

Welcome to Jeep life :P
Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

I think Sports with 2.5" lift and 35s look perfect. 37s and 3.5" lift with Rubis with the higher fenders.

You can still run 37s Might need a regear... I don't think you need lockers... unless you're going to wheel pretty hard. But if you open up the diffs, you should throw in lockers to future proof...

I'm actually pretty scared right now... mods have gotten a lot more expensive with the JLs... I might need to sell a kidney to build a JLUR the way I want it..

Last edited by SHYUperman; 08-13-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

People are doing it but the axels really aren't up for it and would need a re-gear. Just seems the Rubi, while expensive, is less expensive than going all aftermarket with axels, gears, etc.

JL mods are a bit pricey but hopefully, they will come down in time; get it asap.

I think Sports with 2.5" lift and 35s look perfect. 37s and 3.5" lift with Rubis with the higher fenders.

You can still run 37s Might need a regear... I don't think you need lockers... unless you're going to wheel pretty hard. But if you open up the diffs, you should throw in lockers to future proof...

I'm actually pretty scared right now... mods have gotten a lot more expensive with the JLs... I might need to sell a kidney to build a JLUR the way I want it..
Old 09-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

BlackAck and his 4Runner thread inspired me to update some lighting, specifically my headlights, even thought I rarely use them. Right now, there is only one after market LED headlight for the JL and it's a bunch of tiny LEDs to make up the circle, which I don't really like. The other downside is the price of $599 and for that money, I want some JW Speakers not a brand I'm not sure of. Mopar makes a sweet stock option (not available on my lowly Sport) but they're $900 and on B/O until next year so I decided to make up some brackets. I saw a guy did it online so I figured, what the hell. I used some 16 gauge steel, cardboard to mock it up, some Harley 7 inch light brackets, and an angle grinder to cut the brackets. My angle grinder skills leave a bit to be desired but now that I have all the measurements, I'm going to redo them to make them cleaner but for now, they work well.

Test fit before cutting the circle out and correcting the angle:
Doing my part to save the manual-gbkbkyf.jpg
Roughed out:
Doing my part to save the manual-lr0ficc.jpg
Roughed out bracket with a Harley 7inch light adapter, before I painted it black and leveled it:
Doing my part to save the manual-yknzvg6.jpg
Stock vs slightly smaller aftermarket:
Doing my part to save the manual-4gqane4.jpg

Doing my part to save the manual-kls5dt6.jpg
Doing my part to save the manual-aocz8ny.jpg

These lights being a bit smaller, have a ring around them and aren't a perfect fit, which bothers me. The output is MUCH better but I'm back and forth on keeping them. Jeep uses an odd connector on this model so I ordered it instead of cutting up the stock headlight wiring but while I thought I could use the wire pins I have, I found I need to order the official ones. Right now everything works but I need to tear it apart again to replace the harness and put a more finished bracket on but not sure if I'm keeping them.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Got a promotion at work, sold our house, haven't found a new house, have some medical stuff with the wife so the Jeep hasn't seen much action. I finally pulled the bumper and winch to install the correct connectors for the headlights and got some mirrors to stay legal.
Doing my part to save the manual-5uxxpfv.png

Also, huge mod here, a gas cover (stock Sports have an exposed cap):
Doing my part to save the manual-q40nesz.jpg
Old 12-31-2018, 05:53 PM

Whoah, man...
I hope wife is doing okay.
Much love to you...
love your passion for four wheeling...jeep is looking cool as fuck.
glad you didn't bail on the headlights...these look mean as fuck and
with output being better...safety is a plus.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks man and wife is good. I REALLY want to do some serious upgrades but something about not being homeless comes first or something like that.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Did you give Ivo that piece of advice?
Shit, buy all the parts! Have a kid! Have two!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

That Ivo dude is crazy
Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 AM

He is!