Doing my part to save the manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Doing my part to save the manual

Picked up a 2018 JL Unlimited Sport this weekend with the man pedal. Originally, I planned to buy a used, bare bones JKU but the prices were insane so after 1.5 months of looking I just went new. This is a car I've always wanted and while not super practical, I have a company provided Fusion that I can drive for personal as well so not too concerned. Love the manual transmission and in typical Jeep fashion, it isn't the smoothest but I kind of like that. The steering is borderline scary on the interstate with constant corrections to stay straight so it is heading to the dealer Friday but again, it may just be a Jeep thing.

Ordered a 2.5 lift, steps, spare relocation bracket, and debating on some 35s now but open to suggestions. Planning some Fuel Hostages with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35s for a nice mix of on road and off road handling but unsure on the wheels. First up is a proper detailing because the dealer destroyed the paint

Doing my part to save the manual-ke2fwdt.jpg
Wanted to take them all off but it was supposed to rain in a few hours so two had to do. I quickly learned the mirrors were attached to the doors I removed
Doing my part to save the manual-me962dj.jpg
Doing my part to save the manual-r7v2np7.jpg
Huge key
Doing my part to save the manual-x09ujit.jpg
The following 5 users liked this post by 1StGenCL:
mrmako (04-19-2018), Predatorbird (04-19-2018), rockstar143 (08-12-2018), Sarlacc (04-18-2018), wackjum (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Congrats!

The highway driving is a Jeep thing, get used to it lol. This is why I'm not buying a Wrangler for a daily but will grab one for fun hopefully next year. For now, the Cherokee does plenty for me.

No need to detail, just cover it in a fine layer of dirt and mud and leave it alone.

I'd start with getting proper rock rails for it, not steps. Unless you plan on off roading, don't get 35's as your fuel economy will plummet. Even if you do plan on off roading, I'd get no more than 33's unless you plan on rock crawling as that plus a 2.5" lift will be plenty.

The very first thing I'd do is swap out those headlights for HID's or LEDs. Thank me later.
The following users liked this post:
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You think it's fun to steer now (and yes, it's a Jeep thing)? Wait until you lift it and put 35s on it We actually had 33s on it and swapped them for slightly smaller tires. Handing just went from shit to complete shit so we needed the smaller tires. Then again we have the 2-door, so the longer wheelbase may do better with the larger tires. But yeah, we have a lifted JK and you need to keep both hands on the wheel for sure...

Nice purchase. Looking forward to seeing it modded
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I want a Wrangler for fun soooooo badd!!!!!!
Congrats on the new JL! and awesome that you chose the manny tranny!!
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:57 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
Congrats on the JLU! How do you like it so far?

I know we were talking previously when I still had my JKU. I've been tempted to get back to a JLUR. Did you get the spacer 2.5 lift? I've seen a lot folks running 37s on them with no real issues. JLUs look really sexy with 37s. It's nice that they've designed the JLs to run 35s stock and position themselves better with the aftermarket/accessory market. Any other mods planned? Hit me up if you're looking for deals on parts, I know a bunch of sales guys.

I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they were great all seasons and really well off road. The 37s ran small, not sure about the 35s. But Nittos typically are heavier tires but no issues balancing compared to Goodyear MTRs and Duratracs. If you're looking for other tire suggestions I would say KO2s, Duratracs, kelly safari tsr (basically the sister tire of the duratracs). Those three are lighter compared to the Nittos and do run small. I've heard great things about Cooper STT Pros as well.

My biggest word of advice is to try and do everything right the first time. Don't rush into mods because it's just going to cost you in the long run. I unfortunately went through 33s, 35s, and multiple 37s. Along with 1.5" lift to two different 2.5" lifts. I regeared and wasted a lot of money locking and strengthening my D30... I never expected to do any wheeling, but ended up going quite frequently and my wallet got the worse of it.

If you're looking for sliders, I would highly recommend ACE - ACE JL Rock Sliders (4 Door)

Last edited by SHYUperman; 04-18-2018 at 08:05 AM.
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Congrats on the Jeep! A manual in a Wrangler is getting hard to come by as well.
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Congrats, OP!
Enjoy your ride in good health!
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,633 Posts

Looks great. Will be interesting to see the aftermarket solutions for fenders, now that the indicators are integrated into them.
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Congrats on the new Jeep. Can't wait to see the upgrades.
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Congrats!

The highway driving is a Jeep thing, get used to it lol. This is why I'm not buying a Wrangler for a daily but will grab one for fun hopefully next year. For now, the Cherokee does plenty for me.

No need to detail, just cover it in a fine layer of dirt and mud and leave it alone.

I'd start with getting proper rock rails for it, not steps. Unless you plan on off roading, don't get 35's as your fuel economy will plummet. Even if you do plan on off roading, I'd get no more than 33's unless you plan on rock crawling as that plus a 2.5" lift will be plenty.

The very first thing I'd do is swap out those headlights for HID's or LEDs. Thank me later.
Thanks and it needs a good base detail Wife is tiny and already said she needed steps so I've reached out to order these from Roam but waiting to hear from him. I wanted rails but I don't think they would do enough for her and they aren't a lot of options yet. As for the lights, the Sport isn't offered with LEDs so that is an issue but I hate when people put straight HIDs in reflector housings so maybe a I'll do a retro. As for fuel economy, meh; I just don't want to regret going 33's after seeing how tiny they look on this and then having to buy 35/37s.

Originally Posted by juniorbean
You think it's fun to steer now (and yes, it's a Jeep thing)? Wait until you lift it and put 35s on it We actually had 33s on it and swapped them for slightly smaller tires. Handing just went from shit to complete shit so we needed the smaller tires. Then again we have the 2-door, so the longer wheelbase may do better with the larger tires. But yeah, we have a lifted JK and you need to keep both hands on the wheel for sure...

Nice purchase. Looking forward to seeing it modded
Thanks man and maybe it a Jeep thing, just seems borderline scary on 95 but I am more used to it.

Originally Posted by justnspace
I want a Wrangler for fun soooooo badd!!!!!!
Congrats on the new JL! and awesome that you chose the manny tranny!!
Thanks and it was almost impossible to find but so fun to drive.

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
Congrats on the JLU! How do you like it so far?

I know we were talking previously when I still had my JKU. I've been tempted to get back to a JLUR. Did you get the spacer 2.5 lift? I've seen a lot folks running 37s on them with no real issues. JLUs look really sexy with 37s. It's nice that they've designed the JLs to run 35s stock and position themselves better with the aftermarket/accessory market. Any other mods planned? Hit me up if you're looking for deals on parts, I know a bunch of sales guys.

I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they were great all seasons and really well off road. The 37s ran small, not sure about the 35s. But Nittos typically are heavier tires but no issues balancing compared to Goodyear MTRs and Duratracs. If you're looking for other tire suggestions I would say KO2s, Duratracs, kelly safari tsr (basically the sister tire of the duratracs). Those three are lighter compared to the Nittos and do run small. I've heard great things about Cooper STT Pros as well.

My biggest word of advice is to try and do everything right the first time. Don't rush into mods because it's just going to cost you in the long run. I unfortunately went through 33s, 35s, and multiple 37s. Along with 1.5" lift to two different 2.5" lifts. I regeared and wasted a lot of money locking and strengthening my D30... I never expected to do any wheeling, but ended up going quite frequently and my wallet got the worse of it.

If you're looking for sliders, I would highly recommend ACE - ACE JL Rock Sliders (4 Door)
Dude, you inspired me to get a Jeep. I've always wanted one but after seeing your thread, I knew I needed one but wanted to pay everything off bill wise between my wife and I so I ended up waiting. So far I LOVE the thing, it's tough driving the fusion today. Lots of thumbs up and the closest I could get to another sport bike without my wife killing me for buying a bike. I did order the RC spacer lift because the Mopar is having lots of bowing issues and there aren't a lot of others out yet. I figured for the money, my self install, and the great reviews, it would hold me over until the aftermarket picks up more. As for the 35's, it's just the Rubi that can run 35's stock (without rubbing at least), due to higher cut out fenders but I just couldn't' part with Rubi money.

Tires, I've gone back and forth on the Duratracs since the Jeep guys love them but I've seen a few Nitto's around here and love the look plus the positive online reviews. I am a bit worried about weight because Mopar is the only reinforced spare I've seen. It doesn't replace the hinges and while many of the JL guys are saying the JL tailgate is beefed up, I don't know but $650 for the Mopar seems high for what it is. I don't plan to wheel too much but I'm already making plans to go so...33's just don't look good on this IMO so I'll start with 35's, think I'm going to order today.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Crap, those ACE look REALLY good
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I know everyone says Jeep's should have 16s or maybe 17s but on the 4 door, 17s look tiny. I wouldn't want a 20 but am seriously considering an 18, thoughts?

In addition to the Fuel's, I looked at XD Addicts but they are no longer being made but kind of like the following:

Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM

I forget the brand, but I know on the F150s, there is a company that makes rock rails with attachable steps. N-Fab maybe?

Edit:
https://n-fab.com/rkr-step-system/2018/jeep/wrangler-jl

1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:32 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Wow, you know why they're not making the XD addicts anymore? Those and the XD Monsters/crank/rockstars are heavy favorites among the jeep crowd. 16s are "cheaper" in regards to tire costs... but limited in sizes if you want to go bigger... cough... 37s. You can't go wrong with 17s, but it all depends on the look you're going for...

The ACE sliders are awesome, well worth every penny. I had them on my JKU and were great as a step and as sliders when wheeling. Slim profile too, so it won't get caught on stuff when wheeling. They have a great warranty too. Those pictures on the site are paired with the rubi rock rails. You can run them without them... I didn't like the look and didn't like how it took away some of the step profile.

I'm really surprised that Teraflex hasn't released their JL lift kits yet. I know they were testing them on the JLUR that they purchased. They actually bought that JLUR from the dealer down the street from me and drove it back to Utah. I'm sure they have a bunch of parts in R&D.... probably a hinge too. If down the line you want to help with the drive ability of your rig (esp after you lift it), I would highly suggest a front trackbar and front lower control arms. Just read up on that Mopar spring bowing issue... pretty funny... "working as intended.... and then... we're working on a fix"

Sadly with the 4drs if you're going off looks, 33s are too small. 37s look the best but you got a huge can of worms going that big. Hit up DTD, they have a JK-F deal for members. Northridge is pretty good about price matching too. This one JLUR almost made me go out and buy one:

Last edited by SHYUperman; 04-18-2018 at 12:38 PM.
1StGenCL (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Congrats.

I went with my friend last weekend to look at the new JL's. He is dying to get one. They are really nice, I dig them a lot. He has been driving manual for well over 20 years, and while he tested both stick and auto, he is DONE with LA traffic. So, I think he will be going for the auto. At least the JL has the 8-spd.

Do you like the 5" Uconnect or do you wish you had gotten the 7"?
Old 04-18-2018, 12:55 PM
The Third Ball

Also, first vehicle I've seen with USB-C. Pretty rad.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Thanks and it needs a good base detail Wife is tiny and already said she needed steps so I've reached out to order these from Roam but waiting to hear from him. I wanted rails but I don't think they would do enough for her and they aren't a lot of options yet. As for the lights, the Sport isn't offered with LEDs so that is an issue but I hate when people put straight HIDs in reflector housings so maybe a I'll do a retro. As for fuel economy, meh; I just don't want to regret going 33's after seeing how tiny they look on this and then having to buy 35/37s.
If you want looks over function then that's a different story. FWIW, if you plan on doing any Jeep Jamborees (and you should, they are fun) they do not allow tires bigger than 37's and will turn you away for having them so just keep that in mind. Those rails look good, just don't get the ones with the steps that hang off, they'll get you stuck pretty fast. For the lights, JW speaker and TRS both make drop in replacements and I suggest ordering them ASAP. Not sure if you've driven this thing at night yet but it's like a covered wagon with a lantern on the front. IMO, I'd do the lights before the tires but you do you.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks man, the 8 speed has really good reviews but I really wanted a manual again. I think the 5" looks cheap, it's kind of slow, and needs more power, and I really wanted Apple CarPlay but I was really struggling to find a manual and the dealers were wearing my ass out. I was at the point of giving up on it for a bit but saw a dealer just got this in stock and I went down to check it out. I asked to see it, didn't even check the options minus the manual and AC, didn't drive it and said I was willing to pay this amount, they got close and then got pretty much on my number and I was out in about an hour. I was initially looking for a bare bones JKU, something I could mod and not really worry about so I went into this with the same philosophy. I wanted gray, silver or white but black is ok so I went for it. This UConnect looks basic so hopefully people will be less prone to steal it.

Technically, I settled but don't regret it one bit.

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Congrats.

I went with my friend last weekend to look at the new JL's. He is dying to get one. They are really nice, I dig them a lot. He has been driving manual for well over 20 years, and while he tested both stick and auto, he is DONE with LA traffic. So, I think he will be going for the auto. At least the JL has the 8-spd.

Do you like the 5" Uconnect or do you wish you had gotten the 7"?

Just ordered the above wheels in 18s with the Nittos in 35's from discount tires direct and what a great experience. I assume I can share the guys name but am checking with him now, it was really easy and he was super helpful; I just hope the 18's don't make me look too mallcrawler.

Spare tire kit looks beefy and the budget boost is in the boxes with the new polisher. Wife isn't thrilled about all these things but suggested I polish her car first

Fun getting mods in the mail, it's been too long
Sarlacc (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

what wheels did you get? I'm not seeing the pic...
Old 04-18-2018, 11:04 PM
The Third Ball

The manual the dealer had was a nicely optioned Sahara. Funny thing is when you start to option a sport s it can be as much as a Sahara basically. Not sure what he has to spend but I think he should opt for the 7”. Doesn’t even need the 8.4. We’ll see what he does and what the dealers have in stock.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:36 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Congrats on the JL!

Seeing one in a magazine made me really want it. They really stepped up the interior and features while keeping it simple as a Jeep should be.

What engine did you get? I haven't read up on them but I figure the turbo would be good for high elevation and ease of gainz
Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Well, I just called to cancel the wheels I feel like a 'tard but I was VERY quickly getting into serious money (like you all said) with the wheels, then the re-gear to use the wheels and tires, plus my wife is worried about driving the manual stock and while she will never really drive it anyway, it made me take a step back. I have been researching forever and I got sucked into the Jeep forums but maybe I should just enjoy it stock for a bit before diving in.

Lame, I know but I'm going to put part of the $4k I was going to spend on this towards vacation and my Roth and revisit in a few months; shit it sucks getting old.

As for questions, it's a 3.6 and yes, you can quickly option the Sport out to make it cost way too much and with regearing, the Rubi is looking like a better and better choice so I should be happy with what I have. This one stickered at almost $39k and it really doesn't have that many options (upgraded wheels, tints, power windows/locks, Safety group, Dana 44, Sunrider top but nothing major).

In conclusion

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 04-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Keep posting pics like this and I won't make it another week, damn you

Old 04-19-2018, 07:50 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

What were you thinking about regearing to? Do they have an updated gear ratio chart for the JLs? JK owners didn't have as many complaints with a manual and larger tires. I know a lot of JK owners running 37s on 3.21s but I can't imagine how that drove. You have a D44 in the front or were you talking about the rear? Are you still going to install the lift?

That's my biggest lesson learned, my next Wrangler will be a Rubi, between the gears, front D44, lockers, tcase and resale value it just makes sense. I'm also really interested in the turbo that's in production, would really like to drive it to see the performance with that engine. There's a bare bones JLUR at a local dealer going for 40k... it's so tempting... ones I've built online are around 46k MSRP Cars are getting too expensive...

Enjoy your new rig... mods will come and you'll have more options as the aftermarket vendors start rolling out more products. A lot of buddies always say they miss driving a stock Wrangler, esp after overbuilding it for daily driving.

Here's more eye candy from EJS (I'm sure you've seen this)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...concepts.6322/
Old 04-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations
Old 04-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Damn your links!

I was hoping to go with the stock Rubicon 4.10's because I have 3.45's with a D44 rear. I haven't seen an updated chart but the JK has been posted on the JL forums a lot and shows that 3.21 with 35s would be terrible and I while 3.45 is better, I don't want to fee like I'm pulling a trailer. I was in such a rush to mod, I forgot how simple and great it is to drive now. As for the lift, it's going to sit in my office for now, it would look terrible with the stock wheels and even 33's on the JL look tiny so...That being said, maybe 33's are best for now with the stock 3.45 but I think even there, a re-gear is best, no?

Yes, cars are getting way too expensive IMO.

What were you thinking about regearing to? Do they have an updated gear ratio chart for the JLs? JK owners didn't have as many complaints with a manual and larger tires. I know a lot of JK owners running 37s on 3.21s but I can't imagine how that drove. You have a D44 in the front or were you talking about the rear? Are you still going to install the lift?

That's my biggest lesson learned, my next Wrangler will be a Rubi, between the gears, front D44, lockers, tcase and resale value it just makes sense. I'm also really interested in the turbo that's in production, would really like to drive it to see the performance with that engine. There's a bare bones JLUR at a local dealer going for 40k... it's so tempting... ones I've built online are around 46k MSRP Cars are getting too expensive...

Enjoy your new rig... mods will come and you'll have more options as the aftermarket vendors start rolling out more products. A lot of buddies always say they miss driving a stock Wrangler, esp after overbuilding it for daily driving.

Here's more eye candy from EJS (I'm sure you've seen this)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...concepts.6322/
Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Honestly, if you're going to regear down the line, don't waste your money on 4.10 gears. Look into 4.56s or 4.88s. 4.56 are perfect for 35s and 4.88s would future proof if you decide to go larger. I had 4.56s and they were perfect when I had 35s... but not ideal for 37s. Some of my buddies have said 4.88 are too aggressive for 35s.

So looking at the gearing chart for a manual JK, it's not going to be "acceptable" but I don't think you should regear for 33s. You're going to see a decline in performance and mpg going with a bigger tire. It just part of Jeep ownership I think aggressive looking 33s and stock suspension will look good. But if you really want to go bigger and do it "right," wait it out and enjoy your rig right now. No need to deal with the extra headache...

Costco (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow those charts are awesome. I wish there was something like that for my rig.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Congrats on getting a new Jeep! Looks great and I'm glad to hear you opted for the manual.
1StGenCL (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Spent Sunday getting the lift on, instructions said 3 hours it took me 6 On the plus side, I read that it took others 8 so I guess that's good. I've never had a lifted vehicle (Super duty diesels that were tall stock but not lifted) so I expected a shit ride but surprisingly, it rides well and the steering is SO much better. On the interstate, this thing drifted to almost a scary point but the dealer said it was normal, after the lift, it is much better.

Doing my part to save the manual-494vqzk.jpg

But...the stock wheels looked even worse so I compromised on getting 35's and went with 33 inch Rubicon take offs. Found them locally for $1,200 and the Rubi they came off of, still had the temp tag with 100 miles but she immediately pulled the wheels and put on 35's. She also had the shop pull the TPMS but they literally just broke the top bead, unscrewed the sensor, and re-inflated. I bought sensors online for $55 shipped, broke the top bead, installed the sensors and re inflated. I'm told that since they had the same sensors before and the wheel and tire weren't shifted, they should still be balanced; can anyone confirm? It drives well and I know the shop will rape me just to check the balance but I may end up doing it to be sure the tires will wear well.

This is a crappy pic and I aired the tires up further after this but I'll get better ones soon. I really wanted black wheels but this saved me well over $1,500 so I guess it's ok. Someone dipped them black and they looked good but I can't help but think it makes it looks cheap but maybe that's just me (Yes, I dipped the Jeep logo and the irony is not lost on me).

Doing my part to save the manual-auawgyv.jpg
Doing my part to save the manual-kkoheao.jpg

The non Alpine system isn't the best so I replaced the highs with some upgraded Kickers and they sounded good, too good. They made me realize how little and crappy the bass is so I ordered an 8 inch powered Alpine because I'm too old for a speaker box. There aren't a lot of mount options out yet like the JK has so I think I'm just going to put it under the seat for now. I'm worried about theft and water but I don't know what other options I have.

Stock is on the right:

Doing my part to save the manual-fjqkbef.jpg

Still waiting on those Roam slider/steps (some say they are sliders but not everyone agrees) so the wife doesn't kill me

Really want to look at swapping the Uconnect out with a bigger unit because it is painfully slow. You have to click agree before you can do anything, including turning the volume down but sometimes it can take almost 20 seconds, which is a long time when you leave the radio blasting. I don't know if a bigger unit would fix this or if it would connect to BT automatically but it can't be worse. Other than that, I think I'm good for a little bit but those LED headlights look nice too...

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 05-01-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Not bad, looks like it could use a little more tire to fill the gap, but a nice improvement over stock.
Don't think I've ever seen the roof configured that way, interesting.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Not bad, looks like it could use a little more tire to fill the gap, but a nice improvement over stock.
You don't want it to fill the gap on a Jeep...prevents articulation. Jeeps that have huge wheels and no gap are mall crawler bro Jeeps.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Looks like someone summed it up but you do want some gap but I still want a little more tire, we will see. Plan to beat it up off road soon

The roof looks odd here but I have been rolling with the doors off (had to put the backs on to take the dogs to the park) and the sun has been intense so I get the best of both worlds like this, shade but no doors so lots of breeze.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Old 05-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Right, didn't mean that it needs sportscar low wheel gap, just that 35s would probably sit perfect
But, I'm a car guy, so off road truck/jeep stuff is over my head
1StGenCL (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:56 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Looks great! Did you get an alignment after the lift? Did you check to see if your axles are centered?

Was there really bad brake dive with the stock suspension?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks SHYUperman and I was told I should not need to adjust much but I unbolted the track bar and bounced the suspension, turned the wheel, drove forward and back and put it back together. The tires look straight but is there more I should do? As for alignment, I would always get one after any changes like this but the forums are saying they can't do much and not to bother, thoughts? I figured I would go this weekend to be safe.

It's still pretty much stock suspension with the budget boost. I would like to upgrade to the Mopar one once fixed or see what else comes out but no, brake dive isn't too bad. I will say if I get bigger tires, a BBK needs to be on the list because braking is not as good now.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Thanks SHYUperman and I was told I should not need to adjust much but I unbolted the track bar and bounced the suspension, turned the wheel, drove forward and back and put it back together. The tires look straight but is there more I should do? As for alignment, I would always get one after any changes like this but the forums are saying they can't do much and not to bother, thoughts? I figured I would go this weekend to be safe.

It's still pretty much stock suspension with the budget boost. I would like to upgrade to the Mopar one once fixed or see what else comes out but no, brake dive isn't too bad. I will say if I get bigger tires, a BBK needs to be on the list because braking is not as good now.
I'm going off of my experience with JKs, not sure if there's any change with the JLs, but axles being off centered varied by rig for me. I helped install about half a dozen 2.5" lifts and it really varied. Mine were off by almost 2 inches where I've seen others with no issues at all. What I used to do was measure from the spring tower to the outside of the wheel on both sides and see the difference. But you're probably right that the BB wouldn't make that much difference.

Alignment is always a mixed bag of answers from the forums, since you don't have adjustable control arms, the most that an alignment would do is adjust your toe. But you can probably do that yourself and save the money. Did you measure how much lift you got from the BB kit?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to measure when I get home and I didn't measure for the lift. I don't think I really got 2.5 inches but that is purely a guess. The lift is the perfect height for me and while I want to go full out, like yourself, I know once I start, I won't stop.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Enjoying the Wrangler and have done some light off road but nothing major. Hope to head up to a park in West Palm soon but need to get a group together so I don't die out there. As for mods, just added a steering stabilizer to help with the drift (alignment checked out), added a small powered Alpine sub, and a bumper with some LED fogs. I'm back and forth on a winch because I don't want to cheap out but I can't justify a $1k plus Warn. I also don't really want or need a light bar but those tabs on the hoop look terrible empty.

Doing my part to save the manual-abwbufa.jpg

Classing it up
Doing my part to save the manual-piewxwe.jpg
Doing my part to save the manual-0v8ugjr.jpg

Last edited by 1StGenCL; 06-01-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Before blacking out the bar

After
Enjoying the Jeep but no garage blows and is killing my idea of leaving the doors off all the time. No major new mods, minus the cheap winch and led bar. Don’t need the bar at all but the empty bumper tabs were calling me so I bought a cheap bar, took it apart, painted the inside black, and put it back together. I scratched the led paint job in my hurry to reassemble so I need to redo it.

Can’t break 15 mpg, where guys with 35s are getting upper teens. Fully stock, I was getting under 17 where it should be getting 20 but the dealer said after the break in blah blah. Radio is terrible, volume doesn’t respond, freezes, and Bluetooth rarely connects but otherwise a lot of fun.
RPhilMan1 (06-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Doing my part to save the manual