View Poll Results: do leave your car running while pumping gas?
yes
7.63%
no
92.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

do you leave your car running while pumping gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSampson
I like to keep my car running while smoking a nice fat cigar and talking on my cell phone when pumping gas. But that's just me....
While you rub your feet in wool socks on shag carpet?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Again, to those who think it's so bad, name something that is so wrong if you're standing there and have the e-brake set. The car is not going to magically pop into gear or out of park and overpower the e-brake and take off down the street. It's not going to start shooting sparks out of the exhaust. At the rear of the car the exhaust is nowhere near the ignition temperature of gasoline vapors; it won't even burn your hand.
You've asked for this twice already. I guess you just skimmed over post #22 huh
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
your not supposed to leave "you are" car on? hahah His USC education seems to be just fine..
Probably. But it's obvious that you have the education level of a preschooler who can't seem to color within the lines. YOU ARE an idiot, please go kill yourself.

Originally Posted by HondaOnWORKS
Pretty much, hahah. No, I'm kidding, its actually a pretty good school, and I just make a lot mistakes when it comes to typing in general.

Last I checked, I don't have to proofread my work on forums, which is always a plus compared to essays.

&Don't worry about it, because I didn't really take offensive to your comment.
I guess my sarcasm in being a grammar Nazi didn't come off quite as clear as I thought it would.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Thread win...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXaYj33F0A

Last edited by thelastaspec; 09-12-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^lmfao ... i love how the start sprayin gasoline all over the place, i knew it was going to be bad after that

anyway, no i just turn my car off, but thats because my dad told me if i dont when i was a kid that the car would explode, and it scared me to the point that if i see someone else doing it, makes me antsy
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
always. and i leave the gas cap wedged in the handle so i could stay in the car for the first minute or two. cant really get much worse than that. very bad habit.
You do know that there is a little clip in the handle that will hold it up and keep pumping gas till its full right? No point of putting a gas cap there lol

Ohh and I've always been under the assumption that filling up the gas with the car one means...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90
You do know that there is a little clip in the handle that will hold it up and keep pumping gas till its full right? No point of putting a gas cap there lol

Ohh and I've always been under the assumption that filling up the gas with the car one means...
some damn self serves here have no auto fill tabs.
forces you to stay there and not pay or whatever.
i go to a full serve station but they let me pump it myself.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I don't use a gas cap, I just leave the pump in the filler and drive off ...
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the first problem is the fuel system depends on a sealed fuel tank
example:
If you drive off with the cap removed- or even less than tight,,the 3 clicks it says to right on the cap...
a CEL comes on!

now its going to take a few days of driving for the car to decide that all is well and clear the light

the 2nd problem is slight potential of fire,,

thats really more an issue if you answer your cell phone after walking around the car in nylon pants or jacket-generating a giant static charge on yourself, then fail to ground yourself to the pump (by touching the unpainted metal of the pump and it takes any charge off you) and grab the also charged pump nozzle (flowing fuel creates a static charge)
if you were electrically HOT- and fuel vapors are present,, and an electrical impulse goes thru the air = KABOOM--you have seen it on tv shows, even mythbusters got it to explode~ it happens

So, for your cars happiness, and the safety of those around you--
please turn the car OFF- in park- park brake set ON
manual trans use 1 or R
Static electricity is static electricity. It makes no difference if the car is on or running. None whatsoever.

Again, I've been doing this since Dec '05 in my TL and this car has never once had a CEL come on.

I've heard this but never had it happen since I've owned the car. Whatever the time interval is, it must be more than the time it takes to fill up.
Originally Posted by phile
You've asked for this twice already. I guess you just skimmed over post #22 huh
I guess you missed post #35 above.

People keep saying it's crazy to keep it running but no one can back up why it's dangerous. I can see why they put the law in place, it makes sense. You don't want the average crack head to leave the car runing with the gas pumping and walk away for several minutes without the brake set. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the car running while you pump the gas standing there while the AC is keeping the interior cool and the e-brake set.

Please explain how it's going to magically explode because the engine is running.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by charliemike
I don't use a gas cap, I just leave the pump in the filler and drive off ...
I've been in the car when a friend did that. Luckily it had one of those quick disconnect things so it did not spill a drop of fuel.

I once saw an old, very old lady driving down the highway with the nozzle and about 6' of hose still in the car. It was hysterical. She obviously did not know it was there.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
lol
Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Static electricity is static electricity. It makes no difference if the car is on or running. None whatsoever.

Again, I've been doing this since Dec '05 in my TL and this car has never once had a CEL come on.

People keep saying it's crazy to keep it running but no one can back up why it's dangerous. I can see why they put the law in place, it makes sense. You don't want the average crack head to leave the car runing with the gas pumping and walk away for several minutes without the brake set. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the car running while you pump the gas standing there while the AC is keeping the interior cool and the e-brake set.

Please explain how it's going to magically explode because the engine is running.
Please explain to me why the act of turning off the car is so onerous that you simply cannot bring yourself to turn off the car when you're filling it up?

It's illegal but even more, it's just being lazy.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Please explain to me why the act of turning off the car is so onerous that you simply cannot bring yourself to turn off the car when you're filling it up?

It's illegal but even more, it's just being lazy.
You obviously did not read any previous posts.

Winter- Keep the heater running.
Summer- Keep the AC running.

I do this more when there are passengers in the car that would like to stay comfortable.

It has nothing to do with lazy but that's a nice assumption.

Aside from any temperature extremes I turn it off.

Explain to me what it hurts to leave it running.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

#35 is just you going on about how you don't care to proof read - just because someone posted something you missed doesn't mean you can ignore it.

And again, post #22 explained it.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I purchase gasoline every weekday (5 times per week). As part of my TL Diet, I purchase just enough fuel for a single day commute. My engine is never turned-off while fueling. Been doing this for 5 years.

I can think of one huge disadvantage. It is a known issue. THEFT. Especially during winter when someone (thieve) can see the water vapor (fog) coming from the tailpipes. It is obvious that the engine is running unattended. Golden opportunity for thieves to steal your car.

I keep a keen eye while I am fueling mine.

5 days per week x 50 weeks per year x 5 years = 1250 times I have pumped fuel WITH engine running

Last edited by Inaccurate; 09-12-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by I hate cars POST 35
I've heard this but never had it happen since I've owned the car. Whatever the time interval is, it must be more than the time it takes to fill up.
This is post #35. It says nothing about proof reading. It says that I have been filling up with the engine running since the car was purchased new and not once have I ever gotten a cel. This was addressing post #22 below.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl POST 22
example:
If you drive off with the cap removed- or even less than tight,,the 3 clicks it says to right on the cap...
a CEL comes on!

now its going to take a few days of driving for the car to decide that all is well and clear the light

thats really more an issue if you answer your cell phone after walking around the car in nylon pants or jacket-generating a giant static charge on yourself, then fail to ground yourself to the pump (by touching the unpainted metal of the pump and it takes any charge off you) and grab the also charged pump nozzle (flowing fuel creates a static charge)
if you were electrically HOT- and fuel vapors are present,, and an electrical impulse goes thru the air = KABOOM--you have seen it on tv shows, even mythbusters got it to explode~ it happens

manual trans use 1 or R
Post #22 above talks about static electricity which has nothing to do with the car running or not running and it talks about a CEL which I explained in post #35.

#35 is just you going on about how you don't care to proof read - just because someone posted something you missed doesn't mean you can ignore it.

And again, post #22 explained it.
Are you drunk? I did not miss it and I did explain it. If you're going to try and twist words or flat out lie, a message board is not the place to do it.

This is nothing against 01tl4tl, just trying to clarify a very simple matter.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I purchase gasoline every weekday (5 times per week). As part of my TL Diet, I purchase just enough fuel for a single day commute. My engine is never turned-off while fueling. Been doing this for 5 years.

I can think of one huge disadvantage. It is a known issue. THEFT. Especially during winter when someone (thieve) can see the water vapor (fog) coming from the tailpipes. It is obvious that the engine is running unattended. Golden opportunity for thieves to steal your car.

5 days per week x 50 weeks per year x 5 years = 1250 times I have pumped fuel WITH engine running
That is the first legitimate downside of leaving the engine running I've seen in this thread. Obviously I don't leave the car and never let someone get closer than I am to the driver's door. Plus, as you of all people understand, shutting the car off for 5 minutes increases the heatsoak when the induction airflow and engine bay airflow stops.

Certain circumstances call for shutting the car off. I got lost in Watts and was past 0 miles to empty and had no choice but to stop for fuel. I shut the car off that time. Some of the "characters" looked like they may be willing to take a shot at getting the car.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Forgot to add -

In those 1250 times I have pumped fuel WITH engine running, I have never had a CEL or "Check Gas Cap" message.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts

why would you buy gas just enough for a day's commute? And you're factoring something over 5 years? lol oh please...

that's like saying... instead of using 4 squares of toilet paper per ass wipe, I'll start using 3 from now on, and since I take a dump at least twice a day... and I average 3 wipes per dump, 365x6=2,190 squares which equals xxxxx amount of rolls of toilet paper over 5 years...

except, the difference is... it's NOT against the law for me to use less toilet paper
Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by is300eater
why would you buy gas just enough for a day's commute? And you're factoring something over 5 years? lol oh please...

that's like saying... instead of using 4 squares of toilet paper per ass wipe, I'll start using 3 from now on, and since I take a dump at least twice a day... and I average 3 wipes per dump, 365x6=2,190 squares which equals xxxxx amount of rolls of toilet paper over 5 years...

except, the difference is... it's NOT against the law for me to use less toilet paper
He has a 2,700lb TL. It's a weight issue. For my fat pig I could never tell the difference in acceleration between half and full. For his, it's noticeable.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
I shoot people

because a 2,700 lbs TL with less gas in the tank will beat more cars off the line?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by is300eater
because a 2,700 lbs TL with less gas in the tank will beat more cars off the line?
Exactly. Take the weight off the rear of a FWD and it will be faster everywhere, from a stop and from a roll.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Pinky all stinky

Are you drunk? I did not miss it and I did explain it. If you're going to try and twist words or flat out lie, a message board is not the place to do it.

This is nothing against 01tl4tl, just trying to clarify a very simple matter.
The simple fact is, you're (for whatever reason) so against turning off the car during fill ups. you want to know the reasons against it, it's been explained to you, and you go off on another tangent to try to refute it.

So you don't get the CEL...big whoop. that's anecdotal evidence, meanwhile facts are being explained to you and you are disregarding it.

Re-read #22 again - that is why you should not leave your car running. There's your answer.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I don't. It's not about whether or not it's a definite risk, but more to minimize the risk.

I use a tremendous amount of fuel for my business, and throughout the years have seen either a pump or a nozzle shut-off problem where gasoline has been spilled. Anything to minimize a risk is, at least to me, using proper judgment. Most of my vehicles are fueled by personally owned storage tanks, and I certainly wouldn't want to risk fire or explosion.

Incidentally, the very rare instance I have fueled while leaving the vehicle running, usually in -35 degree weather, some of my vehicles have thrown a code as the computer has incorrectly identified the fumes as a problem with the emissions. In fact my Ford trucks will not reset the fuel gauge until the ignition has been turned off if they have been refueled while running.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 09-13-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Forgot to add -

In those 1250 times I have pumped fuel WITH engine running, I have never had a CEL or "Check Gas Cap" message.
That's the only thing I see bad about this but it seems like you don't get a CEL.
Even if you get a CEL or Message, it'll just go away after a drive cycle or less.

I don't see anything wrong with it but I'd rather not do it.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the biggest disadvantage is everyone else at the pump thinking you're a complete asshole for breaking the law, possibly creating a dangerous situation and wasting gas using gas while getting gas.

To go back to bathroom analogies, that's like taking a dump while eating a sandwich.

Not to mention the certain person that not only leaves the car running while pumping but also gets gas everyday. That's like 5min. x 0 mpg x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year= 0.... to save weight... to save gas.

In all seriousness I just think it's a waste of gas period. Getting the proper air/fuel ratio for an explosion is tough, but than again 7 x 52 x yrs fueling while running is a good way to test the explosion question through pure statical probability.

and lmao at zoolander, I didn't even need to watch the clip to bust out laughing.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Team Owner

The simple fact is, you're (for whatever reason) so against turning off the car during fill ups. you want to know the reasons against it, it's been explained to you, and you go off on another tangent to try to refute it.

So you don't get the CEL...big whoop. that's anecdotal evidence, meanwhile facts are being explained to you and you are disregarding it.

Re-read #22 again - that is why you should not leave your car running. There's your answer.
That's a terrible argument. Ok, I'll start turning my car off so I don't get this imaginary CEL that has never happened in 5 years. You keep saying "refer to post 22". I've stated why it's meaningless yet you just keep saying the same thing. Use your own words here and explain it yourself. The "facts" are I've been doing it for 5 years, no CEL.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
I think the biggest disadvantage is everyone else at the pump thinking you're a complete asshole for breaking the law, possibly creating a dangerous situation and wasting gas using gas while getting gas.

To go back to bathroom analogies, that's like taking a dump while eating a sandwich.

Not to mention the certain person that not only leaves the car running while pumping but also gets gas everyday. That's like 5min. x 0 mpg x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year= 0.... to save weight... to save gas.

In all seriousness I just think it's a waste of gas period. Getting the proper air/fuel ratio for an explosion is tough, but than again 7 x 52 x yrs fueling while running is a good way to test the explosion question through pure statical probability.

and lmao at zoolander, I didn't even need to watch the clip to bust out laughing.
I'm very worried about what some stranger at a gas station thinks. Most will never know the car is running.

I figured the two drops of gasoline wasted during the 5 minute fillup would be brought up eventually. Unless you shut your engine off at every stop light don't bother with this argument.

Again, what is this "potentially dangerous situation" you're talking about? Someone explain how the engine running is going to create an explosion.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Pinky all stinky

That's a terrible argument. Ok, I'll start turning my car off so I don't get this imaginary CEL that has never happened in 5 years. You keep saying "refer to post 22". I've stated why it's meaningless yet you just keep saying the same thing. Use your own words here and explain it yourself. The "facts" are I've been doing it for 5 years, no CEL.
in what parallel universe are you living where your line of reasoning actually makes sense?

this is pretty much the extent of what you've been asking:

-You: tell me what's so bad about leaving the car on
-post #22 tells you
-You: well I've been doing it for 5 yrs and nothing like that's happened to me, so tell me why I shouldn't do this.
-again post #22 tells you
-You: well it still doesn't apply to me, so tell me why I shouldn't leave the car running.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Pinky all stinky

Again, what is this "potentially dangerous situation" you're talking about? Someone explain how the engine running is going to create an explosion.
since you obviously have problems reading, here I quoted post #22 for you:

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
example:
a CEL comes on!

manual trans use 1 or R
Old 09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

since you obviously have problems reading, here I quoted post #22 for you:
That's what you've been running your mouth about? I've addressed it several times, you just don't read.

That's static fucking electricity. It makes no difference if the car is running or it is off. It's also talking about cell phone use. The only part of his post that had to do with the engine running was the CEL coming on.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Pinky all stinky

That's what you've been running your mouth about? I've addressed it several times, you just don't read.

That's static fucking electricity. It makes no difference if the car is running or it is off. It's also talking about cell phone use. The only part of his post that had to do with the engine running was the CEL coming on.
You're incredible

Everything that was mentioned has everything to do with the engine running.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Bottom line here is the guys that are doing this, I hope you get a ticket. And for those of you living in California, that ticket is probably going to be a bazillion dollars and you're probably going to get your car impounded.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,942 Likes on 14,058 Posts
Um, heck no.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Okay, knock off the name-calling and let's keep it civil...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
So THIS is where all the stupid went lately...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by stogie1020
So THIS is where all the stupid went lately...
Hey, I'll have you know, I save a lot of toilet paper OVER 5 years by using one less square per wipe

And Yumcha, FYI I wipe from the front AND the back lol
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

^
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Wait... From the back is no good? Even for guys?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Bottom line here is the guys that are doing this, I hope you get a ticket. And for those of you living in California, that ticket is probably going to be a bazillion dollars and you're probably going to get your car impounded.
That's like saying I hope everyone who breaks the speed limit by 1mph gets a huge ticket and their car impounded. Being that it's CA the car will probably get crushed but I would love to see a cop pull into a gas station with the owner standing there and hand out a ticket because the car is running. It just doesn't happen and won't happen.

You wish bad things on people yet you probably don't have a reason why.

Quick Reply: do you leave your car running while pumping gas?