Do Ford Engineer design BMW cars?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do Ford Engineer design BMW cars?!!!

WTF another X5 recall... Damn it... BMW! Are you hiring Ford's Engineers?!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030131/0813000247_1.html
Old 01-31-2003, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not what they used to be heh
Old 01-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Banned

ive said it before, ill say it again, BMW should stay out of the SUV market, the X5 is ugly and it sucks, the X3 is even uglier and its gonna suck more

they make great cars, but definately not SUV's

one of the worlds singlemost styling mistakes ever in an automobile is the X5 tailpips sticking through the bumper, it looks like such a shitty afterthought, that alone is enough reason for me never to consider a BMW SUV
Old 01-31-2003, 09:36 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Bimmers have never been on the same level as the Japaneese in terms of reliability. No big surprise...

But they still are fun to drive.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:01 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
you should check out how many new 7 series are hiding behind your local bmw service garage.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:36 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

I got a comment to make about Ford Engineers...

Now I know that GM probably has the best Engineers in the world, but Ford engineers really aren't that bad... some of them are actually very nice & talented... The problem with ford is MANAGEMENT!

They keep making changes up to a day before the vehicle is supposed to start production, and even after, so the car you buy in September is different than the car you buy in february...

They are overworked and understaffed... IMO at least!!!

Their cars still suck... no doubt about that!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

damn potential brake problems thats not good at all!!!

sidemarker
Old 01-31-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by Soopa™
you should check out how many new 7 series are hiding behind your local bmw service garage.

sad but true.

They put way too many toys in that car, and im sure most knew the first model run wouldnt be perfect. Hell even I wouldnt buy a first model run with bmw. I have read too many horror stories.

but hey give some credit to bmw for coming forward and request a recall.

hi acura.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:07 PM
Drifting

I work for ITW (Illinois tool works), and we probably make 5 to 10 % of ANY car that you own, by weight.

Let me tell you something, Ford, (not necessarilay ford engineers), are completely hopeless.

Our cafeteria manager made sure everybody knew she had a new Mercury Marquis the day she bought it. Too bad the ignition switch, with no key, and nobody in it, burned itself out to a pulp before noon of the same day. Go figure.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:49 PM
__

the x5 is made in the good old US....nuff said
Old 01-31-2003, 09:21 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by jimcol711
ive said it before, ill say it again, BMW should stay out of the SUV market, the X5 is ugly and it sucks, the X3 is even uglier and its gonna suck more

one of the worlds singlemost styling mistakes ever in an automobile is the X5 tailpips sticking through the bumper, it looks like such a shitty afterthought, that alone is enough reason for me never to consider a BMW SUV

This is an ugly SUV? What are you smokin? The X5 is the best looking SUV on the planet.

Also, the tail pipes don't come thru the bumper. They actually are under the rear bumper, but there's a "valence" piece that surrounds them. I think it looks badass.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by jimcol711

And you think the minivan of an SUV the MDX looks better? How does the X5 suck? Have you ever even driven one? I highly doubt it or you wouldn't be saying half of what you said. It is the closest driving feel to a car, don't know about the Cayenne...never driven one.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:06 AM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

I don't know... I thought it looked tight when it first came out... my g/f hates it...

fast though...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Banned

an SUV is the only vehicle i would still trust a domestic manufactuer on. i would never buy an import SUV...its a complete oxy-moron....the SUV is designed to haul, tow, take a beating....these import SUVs are all bark and no bite, big, pretty, expensive...but thats it

an american SUV or pick up truck will SLAUGHTER any import pick up or SUV in any test of power durability, load capabilities, towing capacity, off-road capabilities, etc....and at 1/2 the price no less....

i think the only reason to have an SUV is if you need it tow a boat or something similar, intend to go off-roading, live out in the woods, use it as a work truck, etc....there is absolutely no need or reason for any soccer mom, business man, etc to own an SUV unless they use it for its intended purpose, and its intended purposes have nothing to do with leather seating, navigation systems, heated side mirrors, etc....an SUV or pick up is meant to be a powerful work-horse...period...not a dressed up over priced, sorely underpowered wimpy SUV...
Old 02-03-2003, 11:30 AM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jim i think you'll change your opinion if you drive a 4.4 or 4.6 x5, i've drivin both. they are sweet as fuck. and i bet the 4.6 would give us a run for our money in a race.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by darrinb
jim i think you'll change your opinion if you drive a 4.4 or 4.6 x5, i've drivin both. they are sweet as fuck. and i bet the 4.6 would give us a run for our money in a race.

ok, of course, its nice, fast, quiet, well-optioned..but those are the specs i want on my CAR, not a truck

it maybe sweet as fuck, but as far as how it fairs on the TRUE nature of an SUV... it will get slaughtered by a F350, tahoe, siverado, excursion, dodge ram, etc.....

granted, the vehicles i just mentioned arent as fancy shmancy as the BMW X5 but as far as im concerned, thats the point!! an SUV was never meant to be a pretty, expensive BMW, its always meant to be a brute work horse....my idea of what an SUV should be is still what the original idea of an SUV was...now the SUV has been tweaked and massaged and made into a quasi-car...well, that may look pretty and attract yuppie buyers, but thats not the point.

bottom line, any one of the vehicles i mentioned above will beat the shit out of an X5, MDX, etc in any comparison where the criteria of the vehicles are based on what an SUV or pick up truck is, and has always been meant to be...

if you attached a chain to the rear axel of a tahoe and the rear axel of the most expensive/powerful x5 and had them drive in opposite directions, (chain strength not withstanding) the tahoe would rip the rear axel right out from underneath X5....

domestic SUVs are built much stronger in regards to their durability and power and longevity and stability, etc...an import SUV may be nice and fancy, but its almost been downgraded from an SUV to a jacked up car...

id LOVE to own a BMW, but never an SUV, id want a 330 and have a 1995 tahoe in the driveway for when i want to have a REAL SUV
Old 02-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm with jim, name me one foreign truck that is readily available here that can pull about ~12,000 lbs...and not have the suspension buckle, and not bog way down. Won't see it, the most powerful imort full size will be the Titan and it probably couldn't do it, if it will take the trailer at that weight, just judging by the 300 horse motor and the 380-390 lb-ft torque, it will not be able to keep up with one of the domestic V10's (or GM's 8.1) and espcially not with any of the domestic Diesels. And full size SUV's currently come with some of these very same powertrains.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Intermediate

I totally agree. SUV's have become rolling oxymorons. I'll be happy when the fad dies out. I find it utterly stupid how much money people spend on these sub-par performing vehicles. 35k for a 35k for an Explorer or 40k for a Sequoia! WTF... do they realize how much CAR they can get for that much cash. Oh well, what ever keeps the market going.

I enjoy leading the dumb ones who have the nerve to try and "hang"... into turns too fast.

"Silly SUV, curves are for cars"