Discount Tire's Amazing Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013 | 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Discount Tire's Amazing Customer Service

Hey everyone,

I just thought I'd share an experience I just had with my local discount tire.
I usually browse online for tires, but they're having a pretty good deal for memorial day. Instant rebates on top of instant rebates.

Anyways, i recently bought a set of used 18x8 rims that had pirelli p6's on them. There was enough tread left for at least the summer, and I planned on riding on them for a while. Unfortunately, the tire was too big. It was a 225/50/18 and I was rubbing all over the place.

In comes discount tire. I went in looking to purchase a set of Conti DWS, but they have to be special ordered. The rep I was talking with suggested I take a look at Pirelli nero Zero all-season. I was hesitant because there were mixed reviews about them when I looked them up. The rep then told me that I have 30 days to ride on them, and if I don't like them I can exchange. He also ensured me that it's a great tire, and very comparable to the DWS. He had them on his car as well.
I reluctantly agreed to make the purchase, and drove away with 4 new Nero zeros.
Immediately I didn't like them. They are quite noisy, and I have a long enough daily commute that noise level is very important.
I call the shop as soon as I get to work to ask about exchanging them for the DWS.
He told me to come in tomorrow morning and we can make the exchange, and while they wait for the tire to come in I can still ride on the pirellis.
Now THAT's customer service.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just excited because It seems rare to receive stellar, no questions asked service these days.
If you haven't before, check out your local discount tire next time you need tires. They may just be worth the little premium in price.
Old 05-24-2013 | 02:02 PM
Unregistered Member

That's awesome. I've had nothing but shitty experience with Fletchers, so I'll try Discount next!
Old 05-24-2013 | 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Discount is the way to go. They offer road hazzard at a reasonable price and it is NOT prorated.
Old 05-25-2013 | 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Bought all 4 of mine from discount. I recommend them to everyone
Old 06-04-2013 | 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

They let me bring back 1 tire that I bought from them while I went searching for a matching set.
Also, free rotations even if you don't buy tires from them. They don't bat an eye when you come in for just that or give you the stink eye. Great customer service.
Old 06-04-2013 | 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Agreed.
I think if you can somehow ensure that they are following proper procedures when servicing your vehicle, they are pretty unbeatable.
I just had a friend get screwed by the Discount by his house.
They cross threaded his lugs pretty bad, and it caused his rotors to warp pretty bad.
I always watch them and make sure they start the lugs by hand first.
Old 06-05-2013 | 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Discount Tires is great.

Before replacing the wheels back on the hub, they brush down the lugs with a wire brush. It's not much but it is a nice touch.
Old 06-05-2013 | 08:02 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Discount Tire is awesome, not doubt about that, they take care of their customers. They scratched one of my RX8 wheels I refinished and right away offered to send them out and have them powder coated for free. They've hooked me up with great prices, even better than you can find on discounttiredirect.com and have given me the road hazard warranty for nearly free this last time I used them. Outstanding company.

One thing to consider though from someone who's owned DWSs, they won't ever come close to their tread mileage warranty and Discount won't do anything about it if you don't even get half of the 60k miles out of them (me) so just be aware of that. They will help you out on pricing, but don't expect Continental's warranty to be anything other than a "suggestion". They're good tires while they last, but that's not very long.
Old 06-05-2013 | 08:24 PM
Team Owner

Maybe I'll try them instead of Tire Rack next time.
Old 06-05-2013 | 08:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Discount is the way to go. They offer road hazzard at a reasonable price and it is NOT prorated.
It is pro-rated....I agree,Ive been dealing with Discount Tire for 10years...Awesome company
Old 06-05-2013 | 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Best of luck with the DWS staying balanced. The only thing worse than road noise in a luxury cruiser was vibration. Great grip, good wet traction, great value, but I would consider another tire before going DWS again.

Discount is a great company.
Old 06-05-2013 | 09:12 PM
MechEng

^ +1 on the DWS. Road noise was bloody awful. And the sidewalls are too soft and bubble easily. But the grip in dry, wet, and snow was amazing. I also bought them from Discount Tire. They had a great rebate on them.
Old 06-06-2013 | 01:11 AM
Currently Post-Acura

Maybe I'll give Discount Tire's online site a try next time I need a set instead of Tire Rack (none of their shops are near me, unfortunately). And should I really only expect 30k out of my DWS's? I have like 13k on mine now and it seems like they have plenty of tread (the S in the tire isn't even worn down yet). I only get a VERY occasional vibration, but I typically blame it on an imperfection in the road surface. Other than that, no problems and they are really quiet for me. I did notice a slight bump on one once, but I can't even find it now and it hasn't appeared anywhere else.
Old 06-06-2013 | 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

I never had an issue with noise. Mine seemed as quiet as OEM Michellins. The amazing thing to me was the noise at 70 mph seemed the same as 40 mph. That could have been completely dependent on the RL though.
Old 06-06-2013 | 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

I only buy tires from Discount Tire or 4wheel Parts (depending on what I'm doing). Service, support, and pricing are excellent from both. Wouldn't go anywhere else
Old 06-06-2013 | 09:13 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Back in 2004, I wanted to buy a set of 18 inch rims and tires from Tires.com (Discount Tire). They don't ship to Canada. So I called them. The guy said sure we can accomodate my request. They shipped them out from California to Toronto. They covered the cost of shipping and I only had to pay $80 for customs. Yes I was shocked how well they treated me. I agree Discount Tires is the best.
Old 06-06-2013 | 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Nice story, but I have had the same experience with an independent shop too. I think it all depends on the size of the organization you buy from and how much money you have made for them or will make for them.
Old 06-06-2013 | 10:33 AM
Race Director

+1 for discount tire, ordered over the phone, rep gave me a little discount and I had them in under 7 days.

I will definitely order from them again.
Old 06-06-2013 | 11:36 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Originally Posted by Italiano
It is pro-rated....I agree,Ive been dealing with Discount Tire for 10years...Awesome company
They are pro-rated but only up until a certain tread depth -- 3/32nds -- which mine just so happened to be at exactly 3/32nds, so at first they were not going to replace my tire at any kind of discount whatsoever, but after a lot of complaining and disappointment they finally hooked me up and decided to cover one tire and most of my new road hazard warranty, which was awesome.
Originally Posted by MaxMike93
Maybe I'll give Discount Tire's online site a try next time I need a set instead of Tire Rack (none of their shops are near me, unfortunately). And should I really only expect 30k out of my DWS's? I have like 13k on mine now and it seems like they have plenty of tread (the S in the tire isn't even worn down yet). I only get a VERY occasional vibration, but I typically blame it on an imperfection in the road surface. Other than that, no problems and they are really quiet for me. I did notice a slight bump on one once, but I can't even find it now and it hasn't appeared anywhere else.
It's really odd because the first 15-20k miles I was convinced the DWSs were wearing great and I'd get the 60k out of them. Then at around 28k miles when I went to rotate them I was really surprised to see how low the tread was all the sudden. A week or so later one of them got a massive hole in the middle of the tread and went flat on the highway. Drove to Discount and that's when I learned not only how low they were (3/32nds) but also how most of the Discount guys know about the crappy tread life on the Contis and their overrated warranty.
Originally Posted by oo7spy
I never had an issue with noise. Mine seemed as quiet as OEM Michellins. The amazing thing to me was the noise at 70 mph seemed the same as 40 mph. That could have been completely dependent on the RL though.
Mine were super quiet too. That was one of the redeeming qualities about them, quiet, comfortable and great grip. Soft sidewalls and bad tread life were the not so redeeming aspects of them.