AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   Did I just make a huge mistake? (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/did-i-just-make-huge-mistake-337479/)

swami 04-22-2006 06:21 PM

Did I just make a huge mistake?

I've had my TSX since July 03 and it's a great car. I just came from the local VW dealership where I put a deposit down on an 06 GTI. The car is being dealer traded, and will be mine Monday. They've had 0 luck locating the package 2, which has leather interior, and is my preference. I decided to settle for the cloth interior but I'm having second thoughts. I have until Monday morning to change my mind. I'm pretty much sold on the GTI, just not the goofy plaid cloth seats. I'm putting on the :flame: suit just in case.

slayer202 04-22-2006 06:31 PM

get what you want, but i wouldn't settle for the cloth seats

65 Fury Convert 04-22-2006 06:31 PM

Find the car you want - you're paying enough for it. Cancel the deal. 2006 GTI's are nice - good coice. What color combo are you lookng for?

swami 04-22-2006 06:48 PM

I really wanted white or silver but those are hard to find. I ended up going with the gray, which is cool since that was what I almost got on the TSX. I like the gray, but I think I'm settling on the cloth and I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm getting the DSG and the 18's though. Those were non-negotiable items. :toocool:

heyitsme 04-22-2006 06:49 PM

I'd wait for the leather you want, especially with that fabric pattern. IF they had a high quality all black fabric seat, I don't think it would be an issue.

swami 04-22-2006 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I'd wait for the leather you want, especially with that fabric pattern. IF they had a high quality all black fabric seat, I don't think it would be an issue.

I hear ya there...The thought of putting seat covers on it seems a little 70's to me. :dunno:

Ron Burgundy 04-22-2006 08:01 PM

:ibjonesiandhisavatar:

CL Platano 04-22-2006 08:03 PM

yuck..that new gti is fugly

cob3683 04-22-2006 08:12 PM

If they can't get the one you want then wait. No sense spending a bunch of money that you are not sure about.

UnsanePyro 04-22-2006 08:27 PM

Yeah, no sense in spending the money on something you don't really like/want.

Water-S 04-22-2006 08:36 PM

IT'S TIME TO UNPIMP YOUR AUTO.

Veeeeee dubb Representing Deustchland :pofl: :pofl:

Sarlacc 04-22-2006 08:46 PM

I havent seen any other color on the road except white. And I always dealers here with at least 2 on the lot...and they are always white.

GreenMonster 04-22-2006 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by slayer202
get what you want, but i wouldn't settle for the cloth seats

:werd:

If I'm spending serious cash for something I get exactly what I want even if it's going to cost me extra time and/or money...

A little time/money is worth it to me to get exactly what I want. You'll run into fewer regets that way, and if you don't, you set yourself up for more disappointments :2cents:

Crazy Bimmer 04-22-2006 09:27 PM

New GTI is hotness, congrats!! I LOVE their seats too.

Yea i too would wait for leather. Just a different dealer to see if they can get you one.

swami 04-22-2006 09:35 PM

I'm really not in a hurry as my TSX lease isn't up till July. The problem is, I put a deposit down on a GTI today, and my TSX payment is due today. I can get the TSX paid off Monday, if I take the GTI. If I have them try to find a package 2, that could take awhile. In a nutshell...I'm trying not to make a $389 payment on a car I'm getting rid of. :toocool:

Crazy Bimmer 04-22-2006 09:51 PM

Did you call all the other dealers around you? Travel if you need to.

Email all the dealers and tell them what you want. Then mention you want to buy TODAY and they will jump over backwards for you.

labmeister 04-23-2006 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by swami
They've had 0 luck locating the package 2, which has leather interior, and is my preference.

If the dealer looks hard enough, they'll find it. They just want to get rid of what's in their lot to get more inventory.

swami 04-23-2006 08:06 AM

Trust me...I've searched in a 250 mile area without success. It seems the dealers figured the kids buying these cars would be going the cheapest route...cloth, 6-speed, 17's and upgrading wheels and tires later. They forgot about us old dudes.

Scooter 04-23-2006 08:44 AM

Trust me...I've searched in a 250 mile area without success. It seems the dealers figured the kids buying these cars would be going the cheapest route...cloth, 6-speed, 17's and upgrading wheels and tires later. They forgot about us old dudes.

couldn't you take a road trip somewhere to like NY where you may be able to find what you're looking for and just drop off the TSX at an Acura dealer there instead of locally in OH?? sometimes the extra time & effort is worth it...i saved over $3k on my CLS b/c i drove over an hour to one Acura dealership when i coulda driven 5 minutes from the house to another Acura dealership that wanted more money

swami 04-23-2006 09:42 AM

Here's where I'm at. I work at a motorcycle dealership that happens to sell cars on the side. They're willing to make payoff on the TSX, roughly 18k, and park it out for sale. The profit above payoff would be split down the middle. I really don't want to turn the car back in if I can make a g or two on it. If I can live with the cloth, I get the GTI Monday. If I wait for the leather, I light $400 on fire and kick back. :ugh:

Scooter 04-23-2006 09:48 AM

Here's where I'm at. I work at a motorcycle dealership that happens to sell cars on the side. They're willing to make payoff on the TSX, roughly 18k, and park it out for sale. The profit above payoff would be split down the middle. I really don't want to turn the car back in if I can make a g or two on it. If I can live with the cloth, I get the GTI Monday. If I wait for the leather, I light $400 on fire and kick back. :ugh:

well if i were in your situation, tomorrow morning at 9:01 i would be calling major dealerships in PA, NY, NJ, etc. seeing if they have exactly what you want...if they do, park the TSX outside the bike place and get yerself a plane ticket to wherever, drive the GTI home...:2cents:

can the bike place wait like 1 more month??

swami 04-23-2006 10:01 AM

They can wait...I'm not sure I can though. I think I'll make one last ditch effort to find a package 2 tomorrow. The dealer offered me a loaner if needed until the cloth equipped GTI came in. I'll hit them up in the am to do another search. :thumbsup:

swami 04-23-2006 07:02 PM

I sent a text to my sales guy and cancelled the cloth. Hopefully he can locate a package 2 tomorrow. Thanks for the help, cuz I was ready to take the cloth even though I find it hideous. :ugh:

Scooter 04-23-2006 07:09 PM

smart move i think...yer less than 5 months into the new year...you should be able to find leather seats and whatever else yer looking for...NEVER settle!!!!

keg1997 04-23-2006 07:11 PM

I think you made the right decision- to me- the leather is worth a $400 payment. You'll be thanking yourself everytime you slide into your leather seats....

keg1997 04-23-2006 07:11 PM

I think you made the right decision- to me- the leather is worth a $400 payment. You'll be thanking yourself everytime you slide into your leather seats....

aaronnn 04-23-2006 07:14 PM

good job! i wouldve never settled for the lame clothes seats. they are plain ugly and doesnt help the sporty looks of the gti either. those gti's are mean looking cars. i wish they did something to help that rear end look.. but i guess you cant complain for the things you get in that car.

the dsg and leather wouldve been definites for me!

Scooter 04-23-2006 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by aaronnn
good job! i wouldve never settled for the lame clothes seats. they are plain ugly and doesnt help the sporty looks of the gti either. those gti's are mean looking cars. i wish they did something to help that rear end look.. but i guess you cant complain for the things you get in that car.

the dsg and leather wouldve been definites for me!

agreed...and the 18's rims on the GLI/GTI are too awesome...so totally make the car!! it's one sweet ride :thumbsup:

zeroday 04-23-2006 07:19 PM

i kinda like cloth seats; they dont get too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, they provide more 'ass grip', and they don't dry out and crinkle up over time like leather does. i have them in my 4runner.

swami 04-23-2006 07:50 PM

I really don't have a problem with cloth seats, just the ones in the GTI. I hate the plaid. I honestly can't believe that's the only alternative to the leather. The DSG and the 18's on the other hand make the car. It's strange but the car looks totally different with the 17's on it. I won't consider those even for $750 less money. :toocool:

SakiGT 04-24-2006 07:45 AM

Tell the guy you'll get it if he gives you enough cash to go aftermarket.

Figure around $1500 to get them done in any color/pattern you want. At least thats how much it would be for me.

SSMTL01 04-24-2006 09:24 AM

^ :werd:

or check out www.katzkin.com

CLpower 04-24-2006 10:14 AM

also keep in mind, interior shops will put in leather relatively cheap these days

dozorca 04-24-2006 11:06 AM

Is the GTI also made in Maxico?

billlikessuger 04-24-2006 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dozorca
Is the GTI also made in Maxico?

NO. Germany plant

dozorca 04-24-2006 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by billlikessuger
NO. Germany plant

OK.

pimpravi 04-24-2006 05:28 PM

i'd go for the new audi a3 ;]

but gti is cool

swami 04-24-2006 08:01 PM

Well I knuckled under the pressure. I'm picking up a package 1 tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll get used to the cloth in time hopefully, or I'll go aftermarket. I can't wait to get it though. I'll post some pics after I Zaino it this weekend. :toocool:

swami 04-26-2006 09:06 PM

Well I picked up the new GTI tonight. United Gray, PK1, DSG, 18's...Fuckers SUITE. That is all. :toocool:

FiftyFive 04-26-2006 09:11 PM

dont settle