Detriot Auto Show/Trip Wrap-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detriot Auto Show/Trip Wrap-up

This is long, but I thought I would give you some highlights of my trip to the Detroit Auto Show this weekend:

Left with my friend on Friday night from NYC. It was about a 9 hour drive. Checked in the Marriott (if you go to Detroit, you HAVE to stay there) inside GM HQ - Beautiful hotel.

Went to the car show Saturday morning. It was PACKED, but we ended up spending ~7 hours at the show. I was very impressed with the show. I definitely think it's better than the NY Auto Show.

Highlights:

Acura - YAWN!!! They had next to nothing that was interesting. They had a whack CL-P with nasty chrome rims next to the TSX. I hate to say it, but the TSX there looked very unimpressive in person. 4x4 wheel gap, and the color was not flattering. To make it worse for Acura, even though the show was PACKED, the Acura display was next to empty the entire day. At most there I saw 2 people looking at the TSX at any given time. I overheard a few walking away saying "boring".

Nissan - The Maxima actually looks WORSE than it does in Pics. It's seriously nasty. It has this strange 3 inch gap where the rear window meets the back pillars. Hard to explain, but very strange looking in person. It also has this bizarre narrow sunroof that runs from the front to the back. I heard rumors here that it was going to be AWD, but that's false. The Nissan guy said FWD and 255hp. Inside it's very cheap - Not much better than an Altima. Nissan definitely messed up this car IMO.

Okay. Enough of the bad.. Here's the good:

FX45 - WOW!!! Even more impressive in person. Interior is very nice (real aluminum) and looks menacing with the 20" rims. Infiniti have a huge hit on their hands. Even the FX35 with 280hp and 18" rims looks bad-ass.

WRX STi - Very impressive too. Interior looked great and with 300hp, it makes it even better. Also, Subaru had some of the hottest ladies in the show. The regular WRX now has a sunroof!!!

Cadillac 16 - Totally pimp. The engine has to be seen to be believed. It's as long as some ecomomy cars! Definitely has a "presence" to it. GM NEEDS this car.

GTO - Looks great in person and the interior actually looks quality. (Go Lutz!) I overheard 2 GM employees talking and one mentioned it will have 345hp and 17" rims instead of the 18" on the show car. Not sure how true this is though.

Evo - IMO, STi WRX looked better. I hated the Altezza lights in the back, and for some reason the Evo looked much smaller and more of an economy car than the WRX.

S4 - Very nice, but I HATE those ugly gray plastic "things" under the doors. An Audi guy told me that they can be painted the body color by request when ordered.

Z4 - Great interior, and very comfortable, but I prefer the more sporty feel of the S2000.

GM - GM had a great second floor display showing their engines. They had a live demonstration of a LS6 running on a dyno. That engine sounds amazing at 6600rpm.

Maybach 62 - Beautiful, and the reclining back seat was really cool, but a little too long overall. The 57 is probably more reasonably sized.

Rolls Royce - FREAKING HUGE! The woman demonstrated the umbrella in the door which was a nice feature, but I prefered the Maybach.

Overall, it was a great show. A ton to see and do, even though I spent 7 hours looking at cars, I could have easily spent a second day there.

ToSoopa and the rest going next week, have a great time. If you need any tips or more info, I'd be glad to answer anything.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:54 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice review