COR Wheels Disaster! forged wheel break, now COR does not take responsibility.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
COR Wheels Disaster! forged wheel break, now COR does not take responsibility.

http://jalopnik.com/5953859/this-guy...is-blaming-him

what is your thoughts on this?

btw he paid 4.5k for these wheels for "street use only"

-----------------------QUOTE-----------------------

I attended a track day on May 6th 2012 at Auto Club Speedway with my good friends at HG Motorsports. This was just a track day and by no means, a competitive event. I had run a few sessions on the course and I decided have a go with an instructor in my passenger seat. When I came in to turn 16 of the “Sports Car” layout, instead of turning, the car proceeded to skid to the ground and I went straight off of the course. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw my wheel rolling out behind me. I knew that all of my wheels had been torqued properly, as the instructor did it himself. From the way that the car had ended up, I immediately had a feeling that the front passenger side wheel had broken. Sure enough, as you can see from the pictures, that was the case. Keep in my mind that I was also riding on a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Because the wheel had come off, the car rode the 14.25” inch disc of the AP Racing 6 piston front brake kit. In addition, the wheel and tire had bounced around in the front fender, inside the wheel well, causing severe body damage.

HG Motorsports was kind enough to put the car on their trailer that they brought their race car on and tow it back to San Diego, while they drove their race all the way back to San Diego. The car was brought to Heinz Geitz Autohaus, a sister company of HG Motorsports, where they were nice it enough to leave it on one of their lifts until we could get some new wheels on the car.

About the wheels: My father had purchased these wheels brand new from Peter at ACG back in March of 2011-- Cor Precise in 20”x9.5 in the front and 20”x10.5” in the rear with a brushed center and polished lips. A week before the event at Auto Club Speedway, I had the center of the wheels painted gold. They were not powder coated, nor were they disassembled. They were professionally prepared and painted by a well known shop that does wheel repair work and prepares race cars.

After the accident, photographs and word got around quickly. The very next day, Peter from ACG called to let me know that he had heard what had happened and that he had already been in contact with Cor. Cor wanted us to send the wheels back to them for testing to find out what could have cause the problem. After “analysis,” Cor denied the responsibility and determined that the wheels would not be covered under warranty.

Our attorney sent a letter to Cor asking them to reimburse us for the wheels and pay for the damages to the car. Their reasoning for denying responsibility (see email) was that because the wheels had been painted and because I was at a track event, they were not under warranty and therefore Cor would not pay for the damages. Conveniently, Cor actually added the “track use” specification to their list of what denies warranty after we had brought this issue to their attention. Luckily, two days after the incident happened, I actually took a screenshot of their warranty page before the change. As you can see, the original page did not include the specification of “track use.”

Cor states that they are denying warranty because the wheels were used on the “track” when they have conflicting information on their website that promotes the use of their wheels on “tracks”, in “race” type functions, etc. I have posted photos of various instances where Cor uses these phrases throughout their website. I apologize in advance if some screenshots may be difficult to read.

For those of you who have a set of Cor wheels on your car, I suggest you have inspect them immediately. For those of you contemplating about purchasing a set of Cor wheels, I suggest you look elsewhere for a set of wheels.

This is the email the owner of Cor sent to our Attorney.

Mr. M****s,

We have received the wheels returned for warranty consideration. I have personally inspected the wheels and they conform to their design specification. The wheels were in fact repainted as your letter states and I am concerned about possible effects of the 3<sup class="bbc">rd</sup> party paint process may have had on the wheels. Some processes have been known to adversely affect the aluminum material, which could lead to a failure of this kind. As mentioned, I will be having a sample of the failed wheel tested. In the meantime, I have had a chance to familiarize myself with the details surrounding this incident and I would like to point out that our products are designed for street use. The loads and the duration of the loads presented in a track environment are far greater than those experienced in day to day driving. I am sympathetic to your client’s unfortunate experience but I feel it is unreasonable to expect our company to be held solely responsible for the damages when the product was clearly not being used in the manner for which it was intended. As your letter states and the photographs provided clearly indicate, the vehicle was at a race track and the client was at an “instructional driving event”, not simply a car show. On this basis, we would have to deny the claim for warranty consideration.

If you would like to further discuss this matter, I would be more than happy to make myself available for a telephone conversation next week.

Kind regards,
Robert Herrera

This is Cor's warranty page two days after the event:

Here is Cor's current "updated" warranty page:

Here is a topic on Cor's blog in which they use a photo of our car, which they call a "Camaro," that Cor states that one can "gain unmatched performance on and off the racetrack" with their wheels:

Here is another one of Cor's blog post with the use of the word "track":

Here is Cor's About Us page in which they state that they make "competition" wheels:
Old 10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
My thoughts is that if their warranty states that its void if the product is altered (painted) or only applicable to street use, your friend is out of luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
what is your thoughts on this?

btw he paid 4.5k for these wheels for "street use only"
So something meant for "street use" was used on the track?

Wheels were also painted. If they were actually powder coated and not painted and if the place didn't know what they're doing, they could have weakened the structural integrity of the alloy.

Last edited by AZuser; 10-22-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
My thoughts are: Cartalk
Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM

well they added the "street use" in their warranty claims after the incident.

the site specifically stated it was for competition and street use, also stated track as well.

wheels were not powder coated per owner, they were just painted and he has receipts from paint shop. pretty sure you can tell from powder coat and paint.

also if you read on. his driver side wheel has a hairline crack as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Interested. As an engineer, paint (even prepping for paint) will not alter the structural integrity of the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by gatrhumpy:
justnspace (10-22-2012), phee (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:22 PM

COR is claiming that improper stripping and powdercoating.. but they were not powder coated.. and per owner, they were never stripped nor taken apart.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....g/page__st__60

Tom C, on 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:
Interesting that you are running COR wheels in your sig.....

What I find even more interesting is that it looks like all the evidence is in COR's possession..... so even if COR comes up with some sort of metallurgical "proof" that some caustic paint stripper was used, they will have a hard time regaining their credibility given that could have tampered with the wheels at this point. Letting something like this get out publicly by denying a warranty claim is just plain bad business....
Me running COR wheels has nothing to do with my response. I've made a living doing metallurgical engineering, including failure analysis, and I understand what effects processing can have on material properties. It appears that you believe that it would be better for them to pay for damages regardless of the root cause of this failure. As far as tampering with the evidence, no self respecting metallurgist is going to stake their reputation on one investigation by hiding/altering the results. I can tell you many companies would take the same approach as COR on this. You're entitled to your opinion, but I know that I would have recommended doing a metallurgical investigation before officially responding to the claim. I, in no way, represent COR, but I have experience as an expert witness with respect to metallurgical matters. I could have not responded to this thread, but I felt it was in the best interest of those reading that there certainly is a potential for damaging aluminum wheels by incorrectly stripping finishes.

you should also go to their fb..

they are getting ridiculous fb messages.

https://www.facebook.com/CORForged?ref=ts&fref=ts

Last edited by potmilkz; 10-22-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
_

In the 1st screen shot, COR says they warranty their wheels "to the original purchaser for a period of one year from original purchase date."

The wheels were purchased by that guys father "brand new from Peter at ACG back in March of 2011"

The guy "attended a track day on May 6th 2012 at Auto Club Speedway"

That's over 1 year, so technically he's outside of his warranty period.

I guess he failed to mention that.

Last edited by AZuser; 10-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
The warranty clearly says 'no events' - a company that does not want to succeed will deny your request for warranty. Spread this info around. I don't think the company is wrong but they should treat their loyal customers better.

PS those rims look weak, I'd never race them in the first place.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
wheels should not fail like that....
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
their fb page has been taken down
Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
wheels should not fail like that....
^^^This. That is a complete catastrophic failure. Unreal.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Lol this story is spreading like wild fire on forums.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
put that pony on a diet. LoL
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM

still for a company that makes forged wheels that cost nearly 5k.. and not for track or competition use???

i also question these being forged..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Nice investment!
The following 2 users liked this post by Scottman111:
justnspace (10-22-2012), Undying Dreams (10-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
_

The smart thing to do to kill the bad publicity (despite the wheel being out of warranty) is for COR to say, "Even though the wheel is outside of the warranty period, we value our customers so we're willing to offer you a X% discount on a new replacement wheel."

X being something like 30% or 40% or even 50% off.

Too bad we won't know the real story behind why they cracked or why the other wheel has a hairline crack in it. If he took them to the track this time, how do we know they haven't been used on the track before (and abused)?

Last edited by AZuser; 10-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
^ Way too late for that...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Forged my ass.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Thing is he used them at a the track and thats where they busted.

Just about EVERY company would deny any claims for damages caused at a track. Insurance doesnt even cover your car. Everyone remember the GTR and launch control?

Yeah....they all build cars for track and race use....but its all at the risk and responsibility of the driver.

Catching them changing their policies wording after the fact might give your friend a hop and prayer in court.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
who uses 20's on a track day
The following 2 users liked this post by CLpower:
phee (10-23-2012), Undying Dreams (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
who uses 20's on a track day
Challenger was designed specifically by the srt team to perform best on 20s

I tracked my car with 20s no problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I don't know... that's a tough one. The original screenshot clearly states competitive events. The owner states is was a track day, but not a competitive event. Not sure how you can really differentiate the two. If you're on a track, you're competing. You may not be racing, but you're competing. It may be against the clock or your abilities, but it's definitely a competitive environment.

The only reason he may have a chance is b/c COR changed their verbage after the fact. But I still think he may be screwed.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
damn if they cost almost 5k I would hope they perform better then Rotas. If I had money I am buying Weds from now on.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Safety Car

These wheels aren't invincible but its close enough.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Because stanced.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
Conspiracy theory warning.

About the wheels: My father had purchased these wheels brand new from Peter at ACG back in March of 2011-- Cor Precise in 20”x9.5 in the front and 20”x10.5” in the rear with a brushed center and polished lips. A week before the event at Auto Club Speedway, I had the center of the wheels painted gold. They were not powder coated, nor were they disassembled. They were professionally prepared and painted by a well known shop that does wheel repair work and prepares race cars.
These wheels changed hands at least twice based on this story (if not more), we don't know how they were stored, transported, or treated during the year his old man got them and during the painting process.

Most of us who have dealt with "custom" shops know that there are people out there that just don't give a shit about your stuff.

I cant say I blame the manufacturer for their stand.

This is a good PSA for those of you that buy second hand wheels... have them checked thoroughly.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

I think the manufacture should at least offer a % for a new set of wheels, instead of saying not our problem. Sorry. And then they change there description of their website.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM

cor release statement for the incident.

http://www.corwheels.com/statement-from-cor-wheels/
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
So something meant for "street use" was used on the track?

Wheels were also painted. If they were actually powder coated and not painted and if the place didn't know what they're doing, they could have weakened the structural integrity of the alloy.
Again, I hate to agree with AZuser, but he's right. No warranty is valid on the track. I'm sure State Farm Ins is not covering him either.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
cor release statement for the incident.

http://www.corwheels.com/statement-from-cor-wheels/
"Prior to the involvement of legal counsel, the client was offered a full refund, regardless of any specific warranty considerations."

Hmm, if what the company is saying is true, then they did no wrong. In fact, it sounds like they went above and beyond what would be expected of them.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by jayhawk815
"Prior to the involvement of legal counsel, the client was offered a full refund, regardless of any specific warranty considerations."

Hmm, if what the company is saying is true, then they did no wrong. In fact, it sounds like they went above and beyond what would be expected of them.
Not quite and this is why the owner is taking legal action. COR states in all of it's advertising material that these wheels are purpose built for competitive events (Such as track days) and as well the street.

However during the track day, the wheel failed TERRIBLY and resulted in damage to the brakes, fender, and related body parts! Getting a set of new wheels won't pay for the 2-3K in damages to the suspension and fender plus the resale value!

Structurally the wheel failed and the company is responsible to ensure that the wheels won't fail. I wouldn't be surprised if the DOT and NHTSA gets involved like they did with SEVAS wheels when they started shattering.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
-AND- Get some track day numbers for cryin' out loud. That #77 in 1/2 blue painters tape looks cheap.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Conspiracy theory warning.

These wheels changed hands at least twice based on this story (if not more), we don't know how they were stored, transported, or treated during the year his old man got them and during the painting process.

Most of us who have dealt with "custom" shops know that there are people out there that just don't give a shit about your stuff.

I cant say I blame the manufacturer for their stand.

This is a good PSA for those of you that buy second hand wheels... have them checked thoroughly.
Agreed. And that goes doubly for wheels that you are tracking on
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Not quite and this is why the owner is taking legal action. COR states in all of it's advertising material that these wheels are purpose built for competitive events (Such as track days) and as well the street.

However during the track day, the wheel failed TERRIBLY and resulted in damage to the brakes, fender, and related body parts! Getting a set of new wheels won't pay for the 2-3K in damages to the suspension and fender plus the resale value!

Structurally the wheel failed and the company is responsible to ensure that the wheels won't fail. I wouldn't be surprised if the DOT and NHTSA gets involved like they did with SEVAS wheels when they started shattering.
They even re-iterated it in that letter:

We would like to clarify that the revisions made to our warranty were a direct result of the client’s attorney’s assertion that our terminology was vague. This does not speak of the safety and appropriateness of the product, which we feel is 100-percent safe for use on or off the track, but rather to the applicability of our warranty.
I know most other automotive manufacturers do similar things, but it's hard to defend yourself when your advertising and warranty are polar opposites.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
How many "forged" wheel companies are from Miami?
thisaznboi88 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM

The owner of the wheels go by the name Tay

Here is his response at nagtroc.org

Posted <abbr class="published" title="2012-10-25T06:58:02+00:00">Today, 12:58 AM</abbr>

My intentions were and still are just to share my experience with this situation. However, with the release of COR’s latest public statement, I am compelled to respond. In addition to not accepting any responsibility, the notion that COR somehow feels victimized and unfairly treated by its customer is unacceptable. It is clear that their press release is primarily for damage control. Here are my responses to some of the “facts” made in their press release.

1. “The client elected to bypass our resolution process by communicating with us through third parties (specifically an attorney).”

It should not make a difference whether the communication was through the customer or the customer’s representative. The outcome should have been no different. Secondly, there was no “resolution process.” The fact is COR was shipped the wheels via Peter at ACG, and then they denied the warranty.

As previously mentioned in my initial post, Peter from ACG reached out to me the very next day following the HDPE, which we really appreciated. Peter mentioned that he had already spoken with COR. Please note, this was before we took any action. Based upon a few more conversations my father had with Peter, he [Peter] gave us the indication (from conversations he had with COR), that the warranty would not be honored. As a result, my father told Peter that his attorney would take over from there. 1 month after the wheel failure and with no word from COR, my father’s attorney sent them a letter. The letter itemized the damages, requested to be reimbursed, and asked…”How you wish to proceed…”

2. “We sincerely hope that those following this series of events can appreciate that we had no other option than to turn this matter over to a product liability carrier.”

Although we appreciate that COR submitted our warranty claim to their liability carrier, the mention of having “no other option” is another form of damage control. COR could have handled the warranty claim swiftly and easily, but elected not to. In fact, it was just this past week that COR’s liability carrier contacted our attorney, 5 months after the incident.

3. “The claim for warranty denied on the published letter was a response to the client’s attorney’s demand letter, and not COR Wheels refusing to stand behind its product.”

Refusing to stand behind their product is simply what COR had done. There is nothing more to it than that. Please re-read COR’s denial of warranty posted in my original post…”the product was clearly not being used in the manner for which it was intended”…“On this basis, we would have to deny the claim for warranty consideration.”

4.“Prior to the involvement of legal counsel, the client was offered a full refund, regardless of any specific warranty considerations.”

This is an untrue statement and it exposes COR’s true character. COR has never offered us a refund of any kind. COR also does not specify after this statement, if the offer was either accepted or denied. This shows that the statement is false. I invite COR to promptly post verifiable, dated documentation of the alleged offer made to us, as this would be our first time reviewing it as well.

5. “We would like to clarify that the revisions made to our warranty are a direct result of the client’s attorney’s assertion that our terminology was vague.”

Here, COR is stating that the only reason for their change in warranty on their website was solely based on our attorney’s terminology. This doesn’t change the fact that when the wheel broke, COR’s warranty was different than the “updated” one. I do want to point out that COR points blame to our attorney multiple times in their release as an excuse for their actions.

6. “This does not speak of the safety and appropriateness of the product, which we feel 100-percent for use on and off the track…”

I am confused. If you have 100% confidence in your product, then there should be no reason to deny warranty.

More than once, we have asked for the return of our wheels to consider performing our own 3<sup class="bbc">rd</sup> party analysis to learn more about what really happened. After four months of having our wheels, COR has not responded to this request, or provided any response period. I publicly ask COR to return our wheels, along with the verifiable, dated documentation of the said refund that we were offered.

To all those who have questioned whether the wheels were powder coated, disassembled or improperly painted. As COR knows by now through their examination of the wheels, the wheels were not powder coated, were not disassembled, but professionally taped, primed and painted using quality automotive paint. By the way the shop was flattered to hear that everyone thought that the wheels were disassembled prior to painting.

In closing, you can all come up with your own conclusions on how COR has handled this situation from day one. My intent is to only state the facts and to inform fellow car enthusiasts of potential concerns through my experience.
seems like someone is lying..
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
They take his wheels, refuse warranty, and then KEEP THE WHEELS?!? Either buy them back or ship them back, but don't make your customer pay for something they can't even possess.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Wow...sub'd to see the end result on this one.
Guys should have bought XXR's and called it a day
Old 10-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by oo7spy
They take his wheels, refuse warranty, and then KEEP THE WHEELS?!? Either buy them back or ship them back, but don't make your customer pay for something they can't even possess.
technically, the OP still owns the wheels as a refund was never processed.. so COR still has the OP wheels and refuse to send it back to OP so they can run their 3rd party analysis.

Quick Reply: COR Wheels Disaster! forged wheel break, now COR does not take responsibility.