Comparing to the 09 TL, could the 08 M35X justify its $50K price tag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ I too always saw the ES as the TL competitor. Guess it was just me...
Old 10-02-2008, 03:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
Just get the new Ugly.

The end.
Fixed
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
You make it sound like the TL's AWD system is the same as a Lexus RX350. Whoopidy freakin do, the M35X has a RWD bias AWD system. The TL has SHAWD which pretty much kicks all AWD systems ass when it comes to cornering.
In case you didn't get the memo, RWD >>> FWD
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juniorbean
same here.

obviously, it has a different ride and feel. but in the luxury segment, what other midsize, FWD, high hp cars are there?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Nope, not just you. I think most of us here forget about the ES because it is so.. forgettable...
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
same here.

obviously, it has a different ride and feel. but in the luxury segment, what other midsize, FWD, high hp cars are there?
From a price, size and driveline perspective, the ES is a direct TL competitor.

The only reason most of us don't consider the ES is because it is more a sensory-deprivation Buick/Cadillac floaty-type luxury car than a lux-sport sedan like the TL, along the lines of the IS/Infiniti/BMW/Audi cars. The ES is purportedly a snooze to drive- I know the Camry is, but I don't recall driving any ES.

Last edited by Will Y.; 10-03-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
In case you didn't get the memo, RWD >>> FWD
So which letters in SHAWD are you having trouble with?

When cornering the AWD system can send more power to the outside wheel and overdrive that wheel to trump the benefits of RWD (in the same way that the dynamics of RWD trump FWD).

In the world of AWD systems, I'd take SHAWD over any other option. If I could only have it wrapped in more attractive sheet metal.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

It is and it isn't. From my time at Acura I had a million and three customers who came in saying they were looking at the TL, G35, and the ES330(350). While they are competitors because of size price and being Jap Lux cars, I think everyone here would agree that they all target a different audience and drive very differently.

The G35 is the sportier option, it's louder, stiffer and RWD. The ES is soft and cushy and lacks performance. The TL targeted a tech audience and kinda split the difference on the ride stiffness between the G and the ES (but probably closer to the G side but still FWD).

So while they do compete with each other, once someone has driven both cars, it's usually a quick decision as to which one they like. Soft and cushy or more rigid but sporty.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
So which letters in SHAWD are you having trouble with?

When cornering the AWD system can send more power to the outside wheel and overdrive that wheel to trump the benefits of RWD (in the same way that the dynamics of RWD trump FWD).

In the world of AWD systems, I'd take SHAWD over any other option. If I could only have it wrapped in more attractive sheet metal.
God stop talking about SHAWD as though its some kind of revolutionary new drive system. I'd take a RWD G37 over an SHAWD anything personally. And if you are talking AWD systems I think the new Evo and GT-R's systems crap all over SHAWD (just for the record). You sound like an Acura salesman...
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
The quality of conversations in Car Talk has been down the shitter for the last couple of weeks.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
God stop talking about SHAWD as though its some kind of revolutionary new drive system. I'd take a RWD G37 over an SHAWD anything personally. And if you are talking AWD systems I think the new Evo and GT-R's systems crap all over SHAWD (just for the record). You sound like an Acura salesman...
Haven't you heard? SHAWD is the second coming of Christ.

Acura sales dude, get over yourself and your SH-AWD (btw, did a grade schooler come up with that name?). Nissan has been doing torque split since the R33, that was what, mid 1990's?

I remember when SHAWD was introduced in the RL, there were rumors that it would be faster around a track than the R34 GT-R due to its "superior" AWD system. When they finally tested it, the R34 made the RL its bitch
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by nokiaman
The quality of conversations in Car Talk has been down the shitter for the last couple of weeks.
You've noticed that too, thought I was just in a bit of a funk myself and reading too much into it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
SHAWD is the new vtec yo.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by psteng19
Haven't you heard? SHAWD is the second coming of Christ.

Acura sales dude, get over yourself and your SH-AWD (btw, did a grade schooler come up with that name?). Nissan has been doing torque split since the R33, that was what, mid 1990's?

I remember when SHAWD was introduced in the RL, there were rumors that it would be faster around a track than the R34 GT-R due to its "superior" AWD system. When they finally tested it, the R34 made the RL its bitch
First of all it's Porsche Certified Sales dude, got it. Porsche forums are filled with pompous snobs talking about $100K watches. I'm an Acura driver and tuner, that is why I'm here.

Yeah, lets compare the RL with the R34, a car with AWD and 4WS that makes sense. Torque split is one thing, did the R34 overdrive the outside wheel when cornering? The overdriving of the wheel is what really helps push you through the corner.

This thread is about M35X vs TL with SHAWD. I feel that the TL's AWD system is superior to the M35X. The M35X is essentially a RWD car with reactionary front assist. I think the ability to deliver more torque and overdrive the outside rear wheel is more beneficial than just being able to redirect torque to the front wheels when the driver has lost control.

I never said SHAWD was the 2nd coming of Christ but I do believe that the M35X could turn a faster lap time if they adopted Acura's AWD system than it could with Infiniti's current one.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

First of all it's Porsche Certified Sales dude, got it. Porsche forums are filled with pompous snobs talking about $100K watches.
I really like 6speeonline, I thought it was very down to earth and the members are very open to owners and enthusiasts alike. I see a number of Acurazine regulars over there too, and there are only a small handful of p-car owners over here.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nokiaman
Originally Posted by iTimmy
You've noticed that too, thought I was just in a bit of a funk myself and reading too much into it.

It's been horrible lately. I think it's b/c we can now move topics between forums. Topics that are started in the TL forum or TSX forum are now being moved to Car Talk whereas before they would stay in the car specific forum. For example, all of these "2009 TL vs" threads. They're getting moved into Car Talk b/c they mention the TL verses another car, so a bunch of people who normally stayed in the TL section are now infiltrating Car Talk. Personally I think any topic like that should stay in the model specific forum, but I am not going to be the guy who steps on toes and moves a topic into a forum it was just moved from.

But that's why Car Talk has gone downhill lately... in case you were curious

I really like 6speeonline, I thought it was very down to earth and the members are very open to owners and enthusiasts alike. I see a number of Acurazine regulars over there too, and there are only a small handful of p-car owners over here.
6SpeedOnline is a great forum. I was very impressed by the attitude of the majority of the members over there. I received a PM from a member there who is also in NC and invited me to his house to test drive his Porsche's (as he had several models) so I could make a decision as to which one I liked best. He also offered to put me in contact with his good friend who buys these cars from auctions very cheap. This was after he noticed my signature which said "In the research phase" on one of my replies. At the time I had like 10 posts and this was a senior member in his upper 40's, with thousands of posts.

Very cool members over there...
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

You're right, I should have said "most". 6speedonline is a good spot.

It's been horrible lately. I think it's b/c we can now move topics between forums. Topics that are started in the TL forum or TSX forum are now being moved to Car Talk whereas before they would stay in the car specific forum. For example, all of these "2009 TL vs" threads. They're getting moved into Car Talk b/c they mention the TL verses another car, so a bunch of people who normally stayed in the TL section are now infiltrating Car Talk. Personally I think any topic like that should stay in the model specific forum, but I am not going to be the guy who steps on toes and moves a topic into a forum it was just moved from.

But that's why Car Talk has gone downhill lately... in case you were curious
I was wondering why all these TL threads were staying alive in Car Talk, I guess they weren't born here they moved in. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

You're right, I should have said "most". 6speedonline is a good spot.

I was wondering why all these TL threads were staying alive in Car Talk, I guess they weren't born here they moved in. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Me neither. Working on making sense of it. Hopefully we can clean things up a bit.

I'm gonna close this down now anyway. Seems like this topic has run its course...