Combustion chamber cleaner on s2k, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Combustion chamber cleaner on s2k, opinions?

I'm having somewhat of a problem on my 02 s2000 (25,000 miles). It drops rpms at idle (<600), and runs really rough sometimes. I think part of this is due to the ecu having problems dealing with the heat out here, but I read it could be buildup in the throttle body. This was posted in an s2k forum:

The problem is gunk in the throttle-body, and someone pointed to a product that works REALLY well. I used it last night, and it solved the problem.

The product is from a dodge dealer, called Mopar combustion chamber cleaner (I think that's it). You let the engine heat up, take the intake tube off the throttle-body, spray the whole can in while engine idles (stopping when needed to prevent engine from stalling), after can is empty stop the engine, let it sit for an hour or two, start it up letting it idle for 10 minutes or so, then drive aggressively for few miles to clean it out. (note that you'll have LOTS of smoke during this time, but that's appropriate).

Opinions were mixed at the site, but there didn't seem to be any input from anyone who actually knew what they were talking about. I trust some of you guys a lot more than them, what do you think about this stuff? Can it hurt anything? Is there ANY chance of flooding the engine and busting something?

Or can anyone think of any other reason my car would run really rough sometimes? It feels like I'm driving a diesel truck sometimes, the thing is slow and unresponsive. I hope its just the heat...
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds kind of like seafoam, I used it on my jeep. sry that is all i can tell u i don't know much about cars but I am sure someone here will be able to help u
Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeehaw

Yeah, seafoam is the same idea. How did that work?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
¿cuál es éste? Seafoam?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds a lot like one of the Gumout fuel system cleaner's I sell. I hate, and I do mean HATE snake oil type products for automobiles, but a supplier I have known a long time told me to give this a shot and I am glad I did. They really work, for what your looking at doing you would need the 3 step kit, which includes a fuel treatment, an intake cleaner applied through a special metering valve through a vacum line and an aersol spray for the throttle body. A car that has problems with carbon build up(lots of Dodges, or any other high mileage car) really benefit from this kind of service. The car runs like dump while performing the service, but then you take it out for an Italian Tune-up and it blows all the nasty shit out the tail pipe and the car runs great. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it happen hundred and hundreds of times.

I can't say for sure if this will take care of your problem but its a cheap thing to try.

Also if I recall its very easy to remove the throttle body on a S2k, you could just take it off and clean it with a conventional solvent of some sort(there's not much you could damage, assuming you don't drop it) and also clean out the passage as far as you can going into the intake manifold.

You could also try "resetting" the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, see if the computer is adjusting itself for the high temperatures or if there is some problem. If its the computer adjusting due to temperature it will run fine when you first start out with it after reconnecting the battery, that is until the computer relearns that its still f*cking hot out.

That's what I would check, in reverse order from what I've typed. Good luck
Old 08-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lots of good info here No offense tireguy, not directed at you

sounds like snake oil to me.

Take it to the dealer. Or, you could call Earnhardt Honda Maint. They are supposed to be a friendly dealer.

That is an extremely high tolerance motor. I wouldn't spray shit into the intake carelessly.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
check air filter, even if you have a CAI it could be really dirty, bad plugs? TB cleaner is safe I have used it on my TL and it worked great. Gumout complete fuel system cleaners works well too, that is all I will use. cleaning your IM and TB and EGR ports will undoubtedly give you good results.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeehaw

I talked to a Honda tech for a while today. He said to switch to Chevron gas (said its by far the best gas), and run a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner through it. I did that, don't know if it helped yet.

Going to replace the air filter tomorrow, didn't think of that...
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Flap.

i just cleaned the throttle bodies on my 300zx the old fashioned way, take off the intake tubing, spray throttle body cleaner, wipe till clean
Old 08-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

IMO, I would try and see why it is doing with with data logging. I would try and log the RPM, and fuel trim values, along with O2 voltages to see if there is something definite to see.

But then again, I would try a bottle of Techron along with a new filter at the same as the first steps.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeehaw

bottle of techron, tank full of chevron gas = FIXED

car runs 10x smoother now, almost no rpm drop at intersections.