Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Potential other option for @Costco would be the Mk7 GLI
Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
I even looked into a front LSD, wavetrac is on my hypothetical wishlist
If I did a lot of track days, it would be on mine as well. Someone in the Netherlands (I think?) was working on a Wavetrac for the rear diff too

It feels like I would be choosing the DSG not because I want it, but because the manual is more of a hassle.
Unless you end up going for big power. If you do, clutches for the DSG are more expensive then the manual, plus you have to figure in the cost of the DSG tune... the DSG will always be faster, but launch control and no lift shifting (both can be had with Cobb, United Motorsports, or Eurodyne tunes) in the manual is so damn fun, and narrows the gap slightly. With that said, I have about $2k in transmission parts on this car, which is a bitter pill to swallow, but it's transformed it. The factory shifter and clutch leaves a lot to be desired.
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
What part about sitting in traffic with a manual transmission car is "fun"?
The part where you say fuck sitting in traffic and take the longer, curvier way home

Driving the DSG on a great road with minimal traffic is still enjoyable and it's great to hear it do the DSG fart when changing gears. It's a blast.
I get some "farts" when no lift shifting, but it's a different sound then the DSG. Kinda like this:

It looks like he still lifted on the 1-2 shift, but the 2-3 shift is more representative of it.

Come on up to MN and I'll give you a ride. I certainly have no qualms with the way it engages, it's very smooth and basically feels like a competent manual transmission driver is in control. Maybe I should go test drive a GTI and find out... Did you have a mk7 GTI or a mk6?
I had an MK7 GTI - non-performance pack, if that matters. I believe the 2019+ GTIs have the 7DSG now.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Potential other option for @Costco would be the Mk7 GLI
Although I'm jealous of the cooled seats
Old 03-20-2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I had an MK7 GTI - non-performance pack, if that matters. I believe the 2019+ GTIs have the 7DSG now.

Although I'm jealous of the cooled seats
I haven't seen anything on the 2019 GTI yet, but the GLI does have the 7DSG, so maybe that's a hint on the GTI?
I don't think the Mk7 Jetta is the best looking car, but IIRC, it's something like $5k cheaper than the GTI, which could be enough to make me give up the hatch.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Just double checked, the 2019 GTI does get the 7DSG. The MK8 Golf isn't due to be unveiled until later this year, and even then, it won't hit our shores until around 2021.

I still want to check out the Arteon when it finally hit dealer lots later this year. I love the way it looks, but I think it's going to be DOA since it's late to market, expensive, and down on power.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Don't wanna quote on phone since it's a pain, but thanks all.

The GLI is a nice package, but not for me. Big plus about the golf is the form factor, and with the R is the handling. More power is undoubtedly nice but I've never been one to chase big numbers or drag race.

Traffic here is pretty bad. Like an hour or more to go 20 miles. Driving stick in traffic doesn't bother me, it's the traffic itself.

I will test drive the DSG for sure, but later. Last time I did a test drive I ended up with my BRZ shortly after
Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM

If the mk8 ends up looking like the spy photos, I'm not a fan

https://acurazine.com/forums/automot.../#post16394940

I like my women with heavy eyeliner to signify their dubious ethics, but not on cars
Old 03-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Pretty sure the black stuff around the headlights is vinyl, made to look (badly) like the mk7 headlights in an attempt to dupe passersby. Same with the taillights.

I kinda like the proportions of the car in the spy photos, but I'm hesitant of that low roof line/high belt line at the rear. I'll reserve judgement until the GTI/R is unveiled, as those spy shots are just the base model, like @SamDoe1 drives.
The following 4 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
00TL-P3.2 (03-20-2019), CLtotheTL32 (03-21-2019), Costco (03-21-2019), Majofo (03-20-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
I'm super excited to do my Golf R wheel swap in a few weeks...
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Poseur, why would you put Golf R wheels on your 1.4T, SMH.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
civicdrivr (03-21-2019), CLtotheTL32 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Poseur, why would you put Golf R wheels on your 1.4T, SMH.
It's the last step in my fake Golf R conversion.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
I get some "farts" when no lift shifting, but it's a different sound then the DSG. Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGfN6uxVMQ

It looks like he still lifted on the 1-2 shift, but the 2-3 shift is more representative of it.
It looks like he's lifting on each shift. You can see the boost taper down during the pull and then drop between each shift. Ive seen videos of manual cars producing similar sounds to farts, mine even does it when it loses traction. I think it's just a sound these motors produce that you hear out of the exhaust.

edit: It looks like he doesn't lift on the 2-3 shift, but the spark cut (or fuel cut?) must not hold boost during the time period

Last edited by Predatorbird; 03-22-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
It looks like he's lifting on each shift. You can see the boost taper down during the pull and then drop between each shift. Ive seen videos of manual cars producing similar sounds to farts, mine even does it when it loses traction. I think it's just a sound these motors produce that you hear out of the exhaust.
That's entirely possible. No lift shifting is a really weird feeling, and it's difficult to break the habit of lifting when the clutch is engaged.

Mine doesn't sound like the DSG though. Maybe it's because I still have a cat with the stock exhaust You can hear the "crack" when I lift at the end of this (shitty quality) clip:

Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Predatorbird
edit: It looks like he doesn't lift on the 2-3 shift, but the spark cut (or fuel cut?) must not hold boost during the time period
That vid is of the of a UM tuned car - I'm not sure how they handle it. Eurodyne gives us the option of using spark cut or fuel cut. I believe I'm using spark cut.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 AM

After purchasing these in June of last year, I finally bit the bullet and decided to install the power folding mirrors. I bought them used from a non Driver Assist Package car, so they didn't have the blindspot lights or wiring - which is part of the reason I dragged my ass on the install. With the girlfriend travelling for the week, I decided now was the perfect, complaint-free time to work on the car

I didn't take any pictures of the wiring work since I just wanted to get it done. BSM isn't wired into the door modules, but instead on it's own system fed from another module, so it's not a direct repin job - it consisted of taking apart the original mirrors, cutting open the wiring loom, and removing the two wires for the BSM lights in the mirror. Then re-looming and adding them into the new housings. All in all the wiring wasn't too bad, but taking the mirror housings apart was a pain in the ass. I have it coded to fold out/in on unlock/lock and the puddle lights turn on when unfolded (however I may change that to turn on when unlocked) when it's dark out. I've also coded mirror dip on reverse, which is a feature I missed from the CL. There are two downsides to that one though - the mirror will only dip when the mirror switch is turned to the right side, and the mirror will not return to the normal position until you move the switch back to neutral. Kinda dumb, but since I don't parallel park much these days, it's not a huge deal.

In the end I saved about $160 buying these over buying the DAP enabled mirrors, but that savings will grow since I have two additional mirror caps, mirror glass, and LED turn signals that I can now sell. However - from a time standpoint - I'd just pony up the extra $160 and get the mirrors with DAP built in if I had to do it over again.

I have a list of things I want to do to the car next (port injection, fuel pump, turbo upgrade...), but house projects take priority I'm hoping I can keep the mod-bug at bay til the end of the year when there are some sales

Mod List
- P3 vent gauge w/ performance timer pack
- CQuartz UK Ceramic Coating
- VW671 3D printed front license plate mount
- BMW rear license plate mount (gets the plate off of the paint)
- Audi S3 resonator delete kit

- ECS Flush Kit (10mm/17.5mm spacers)
- Intake snorkel trimmed
- Snow grate removed from factory airbox (removed)
- Weathertech Window Visors (not my favorite, but they help with wind buffeting when the windows are cracked)
- Raceseng Sphereology shift knob
- ECS front to back and side to side short shifter
- 42DD shift cable bushings
- OE VW shift cable bracket
- ECS shift cable bushings
- ECS SS clutch line
- Homemade adjustable clutch pedal stop
- Removed swirl valve and bleeder block check valve
- PowerFlex hybrid dog mount insert
- RocEuro stabilizer bar
- VW Homelink rearview mirror
- Southpawboston OBD Eleven glovebox holder
- Eurodyne Maestro Stg2
- Llumar Formula One ceramic tint, 35%
- Forge Motorsports turbo blanket
- APR boost tap
- D-docks cell phone dock
- Superpro 22mm rear sway bar
- Acexxon rear reflector deletes
- VW aspherical sideview mirrors
- Integrated Engineering downpipe, coated by SwainTech
- SRP aluminum pedals
- Euro Dynamic Taillights
- Dieselgeek shifter shaft bushings
- Dieselgeek Super Pin
- Southbend Stage 3 Daily clutch with lightweight flywheel
- Fluidampr
- iABED billet rear main seal
- Black Forrest Industries stage 1 motor and transmission mounts
- Baun Performance front mount intercooler
- Burger Motorsports open element intake & turbo inlet
- VW 12v outlet LED flashlight
- Motul Gear 300 transmission fluid
- Euro power folding mirrors
- Many coding tweaks
The following 6 users liked this post by civicdrivr:
Costco (04-03-2019), kurtatx (04-03-2019), Marcelechka (04-03-2019), Predatorbird (04-03-2019), rockstar143 (04-03-2019), TylerT (04-03-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
That is awesome. I miss fold down mirrors as well from my CL. I hate that my car does not have them now.
civicdrivr (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
bro
you have a long...

...list of mods.

I love your thread, you make a lot of cool car purchases. I also like how you write your posts. They are entertaining and snarky.
civicdrivr (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Nice mod, definitely like having power fold on the C. With our garage bays being single car-width doors, I tuck up against the driver's side (backing in) to leave room on the pass. side to be able to open the door.
Fold on lock is nice too, in parking lots.
civicdrivr (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
That is awesome. I miss fold down mirrors as well from my CL. I hate that my car does not have them now.
Why am I just finding out that you had a CL?? It was one of my favorite cars, even if it did eat axles.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
bro
you have a long...

...list of mods.

I love your thread, you make a lot of cool car purchases. I also like how you write your posts. They are entertaining and snarky.

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Nice mod, definitely like having power fold on the C. With our garage bays being single car-width doors, I tuck up against the driver's side (backing in) to leave room on the pass. side to be able to open the door.
Fold on lock is nice too, in parking lots.
It definitely helps when I can look back in a parking lot and see that the mirrors are folded - I know the doors are locked. It's also nice having them folded in the driveway so people don't bump into them like they have in the past
Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Very useful mod, doesn't sound too hard to do. Wish more cars had the auto-tilt. The tuck away is kinda common on luxury cars, at least.

Did the Fluidampr help with clutch noises?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Why am I just finding out that you had a CL?? It was one of my favorite cars, even if it did eat axles.
I had a 2001 Acura CL Type-S Automatic my first 3.5 years of college. Was an amazing car besides the fact the transmission quit on me but it was before 100k miles so was all good since Acura covered it. Found it as a 1 owner car at a VW dealer. I forget it either had 15 or 25k miles on it. Some old lady they told me traded it in on a Passat I believe it was. I drove it till it had just under 90k miles on it and then my brother got it. He destroyed it a bit sadly as cars to him are appliances basically.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Did the Fluidampr help with clutch noises?
Yes - chatter with single mass flywheels on the MK7 is horrendous. There's still a bit of chatter if I'm rolling in gear in traffic up to 1400ish rpm, but I tune it out.

I had a 2001 Acura CL Type-S Automatic my first 3.5 years of college. Was an amazing car besides the fact the transmission quit on me but it was before 100k miles so was all good since Acura covered it. Found it as a 1 owner car at a VW dealer. I forget it either had 15 or 25k miles on it. Some old lady they told me traded it in on a Passat I believe it was. I drove it till it had just under 90k miles on it and then my brother got it. He destroyed it a bit sadly as cars to him are appliances basically.
I had no idea you had one lol I guess for as long as I've known you, you've had the TSX. The CL is the one car I miss the most. Well, that and the Prelude. But the CL I miss more because I had it longer and did way more to. It just needed a paint job, some more breathing mods, and a tune. Kinda wish I never parted it out
Old 04-03-2019, 03:57 PM

I had no idea you had one lol I guess for as long as I've known you, you've had the TSX. The CL is the one car I miss the most. Well, that and the Prelude. But the CL I miss more because I had it longer and did way more to. It just needed a paint job, some more breathing mods, and a tune. Kinda wish I never parted it out
Yeah I remember your CL. I will have to try and find some picture mine. All the ones I had online were hosted on imageshack so they are gone. Never did much to it since it was just my daily. Put the TSX stock wheels on it and an ipod kit and I think that was the extent of it. I definitely miss the car. It was great to drive and the J series always had enough power to me for a daily. Would have loved to experience a 6mt CL-S.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Yeah I remember your CL. I will have to try and find some picture mine. All the ones I had online were hosted on imageshack so they are gone. Never did much to it since it was just my daily. Put the TSX stock wheels on it and an ipod kit and I think that was the extent of it. I definitely miss the car. It was great to drive and the J series always had enough power to me for a daily. Would have loved to experience a 6mt CL-S.
The 6MT was great, my only complaint was the lack of traction, and then the broken axles when traction wasn't the issue
Marcelechka (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
The 6MT was great, my only complaint was the lack of traction, and then the broken axles when traction wasn't the issue
Snapped the passenger axle 24hrs before handing off to the new owner; this while on route to getting it detailed.

Still miss it till this day.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Yes - chatter with single mass flywheels on the MK7 is horrendous. There's still a bit of chatter if I'm rolling in gear in traffic up to 1400ish rpm, but I tune it out.
Ah, good. I do the same thing.

Except my volume button isn't crooked
Old 04-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

Mod List
- P3 vent gauge w/ performance timer pack
- CQuartz UK Ceramic Coating
- VW671 3D printed front license plate mount
- BMW rear license plate mount (gets the plate off of the paint)
- Audi S3 resonator delete kit

- ECS Flush Kit (10mm/17.5mm spacers)
- Intake snorkel trimmed
- Snow grate removed from factory airbox (removed)
- Weathertech Window Visors (not my favorite, but they help with wind buffeting when the windows are cracked)
- Raceseng Sphereology shift knob
- ECS front to back and side to side short shifter
- 42DD shift cable bushings
- OE VW shift cable bracket
- ECS shift cable bushings
- ECS SS clutch line
- Homemade adjustable clutch pedal stop
- Removed swirl valve and bleeder block check valve
- PowerFlex hybrid dog mount insert
- RocEuro stabilizer bar
- VW Homelink rearview mirror
- Southpawboston OBD Eleven glovebox holder
- Eurodyne Maestro Stg2
- Llumar Formula One ceramic tint, 35%
- Forge Motorsports turbo blanket
- APR boost tap
- D-docks cell phone dock
- Superpro 22mm rear sway bar
- Acexxon rear reflector deletes
- VW aspherical sideview mirrors
- Integrated Engineering downpipe, coated by SwainTech
- SRP aluminum pedals
- Euro Dynamic Taillights
- Dieselgeek shifter shaft bushings
- Dieselgeek Super Pin
- Southbend Stage 3 Daily clutch with lightweight flywheel
- Fluidampr
- iABED billet rear main seal
- Black Forrest Industries stage 1 motor and transmission mounts
- Baun Performance front mount intercooler
- Burger Motorsports open element intake & turbo inlet
- VW 12v outlet LED flashlight
- Motul Gear 300 transmission fluid
- Euro power folding mirrors
- Many coding tweaks
Hory sheet!

Here's mine:
Mod List
1.) shitty base model golf wheels with blizzak tires (temporary mod, will swap back to summers once they get the pot holes under control)
2.) Costco gas

That's it.
civicdrivr (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Wow.,, your CL-S was a lot more reliable than mine...

it didnt even last 2 years
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM

@CLtotheTL32 I guess you should chime in since everyone here is lubing their jerk hand up with tears of CLs past.
The following 4 users liked this post by rockstar143:
Aman (04-12-2019), civicdrivr (04-03-2019), CLtotheTL32 (04-04-2019), TylerT (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Marcelechka
Snapped the passenger axle 24hrs before handing off to the new owner; this while on route to getting it detailed.

Still miss it till this day.
yeah I snapped the factory passenger side in half while launching it, the next one I snapped at the axle splines (that was fun to replace) and the next two were typical CV failures. Still miss it

Except my volume button isn't crooked
Eff you buddy

Hory sheet!

Here's mine:
Mod List
1.) shitty base model golf wheels with blizzak tires (temporary mod, will swap back to summers once they get the pot holes under control)
2.) Costco gas

That's it.
I realized tonight while detailing the interior that I forgot to note the Euro rear headrests. And I already violated my no mod bug rule this evening...

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

the hell happened to it??

@CLtotheTL32 I guess you should chime in since everyone here is lubing their jerk hand up with tears of CLs past.
We definitely need the penguin in here to wax poetic, among other things.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM

that's what he does
Old 04-04-2019, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo

It was pretty reliable I have to say. Typical brakes and tires. Then also had the SRS module in the passenger side seatbelt go bad but that was warrantied. The transmission was great until around 70k. Then started doing weird things around 2nd gear. Sometimes taking a long time to shift into it other times skipping it all together. 4th gear occasionally it wouldn't find either but much less of an issue than 2nd. Took it to a dealer for that and they kept it for a day, gave me a loaner, and when I came back to get the car told me they couldn't replicate it. Go figure but was getting off the highway from the 15min drive from the dealer back to my college apartment and the thing found 2nd gear except it also wouldn leave second gear. I had to drive all the way back to the dealer in 2nd gear including on the highway with my 4ways on Gave me an RDX loaner for a week while they ordered a transmission and got it swapped out. We never had another issue with that car.

My brother drove it till 140k miles and it was beat the piss out of but kept on ticking. He backed the passenger door while open into a parking post and bent the door edge, had a slight fender bender and spider webbed the front corner of the bumper, had a dented passenger fender, and worst of all he didn't bother to get the brakes changed when they started squaling. Drove completely through the pads and only called me when he started hearing grinding noises which was the caliper piston grinding into the rotor itself He replaced two calipers and rotors and it kept on going till he got a Subaru wagon last year and it then went to the junk yard cause of the condition.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:35 AM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts

We definitely need the penguin in here to wax poetic, among other things.
Where da money at?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
CLtotheTL32 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Sam just went on the same list as that fool who posted about "fun" cars
Sam was right about driving in traffic. Except the speed gets set to 80.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Y not 100?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
Y not 100?
only goes to 95.

And >80 is misdemeanor territory.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM