Chevy mechanics caught on tape abusing car, try to blame owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy mechanics caught on tape abusing car, try to blame owner

When you own a sports car, you inevitably get a little paranoid about how it's treated when in the care of strangers. One South Carolina man was worried enough that when he took his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS in for service at a Chevy dealer, he hid a voice recorder in the car. He was right to be worried: The recorder caught mechanics doing burnouts and discussing how to make the owner pay for a ruined clutch the car didn't have before coming in.

William Clark says he took his Camaro to Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C. for a clunking noise in the car's six-speed manual transmission. After a previous visit to a different dealer, his Camaro had died shortly after Clark retrieved it; while he suspected the staff at that dealership of joyriding, he had no proof at the time.

This time, the voice recorder hidden in the door pocket catches employees doing several burnouts and hard launches in the Camaro; Smith later says the techs drove it harder in 20 minutes than he had in three years. Once back in the shop, the mechanics realize the Camaro's clutch has been fried, and come up with a plan to blame the damage on Smith, saying to "write it up as him buying a (expletive) clutch," while saying another part failed under warranty so that General Motors would pay for its replacement.

Smith says he's taken his evidence to the dealer and Chevrolet customer service; the dealer offered to reassess the damage or take the Camaro as a trade-in on another car, but refused Smith's demand to buy the car back. Smith says Chevrolet customer service washed it hands of the problem, saying it was an issue between him and the dealer. As of the last update, the car's smoked clutch remains untouched.

Clark has said the dealership has threatened to sue him over the audio, but has also spoken with him about buying the Camaro back. The dealership may soon learn that in the Internet era, one burnt clutch can create quite the stink.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
This is pretty typical dealer tech behavior. I kind of expect it when they are late teen early 20's people with no morale compass.

I have seen the local techs at an acura dealer doing burnouts in customers cars behind the dealership. They weren't even being discreet about it.

I brought my car in to a different acura dealer 3 years ago for the hard clutch issue. They drove my car for 10 minutes or less and gave it back to me with the front bumper smashed up and refused any responsibility and said it was there before they drove it. Never been back to a dealer since. They won't touch my car again.

Now I have a local shop/mechanic I can trust. Dealers are awful. The techs have no connection with the customers and don't care at all about your car. If they damage it they will deny it and you have to win in court. Fun people to deal with.

Last edited by brian6speed; 11-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
This looks familiar....
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Repost, but I can't find the original post.

Edit: Same title too,

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=chevy

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 11-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Dam OP, this was your first post and all. Do I smell a troll?

Lock it up boys...