Chevy mechanics caught on tape abusing car, try to blame owner

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Chevy mechanics caught on tape abusing car, try to blame owner

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=easley

When you own a sports car, you inevitably get a little paranoid about how it's treated when in the care of strangers. One South Carolina man was worried enough that when he took his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS in for service at a Chevy dealer, he hid a voice recorder in the car. He was right to be worried: The recorder caught mechanics doing burnouts and discussing how to make the owner pay for a ruined clutch the car didn't have before coming in.

William Clark says he took his Camaro to Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C. for a clunking noise in the car's six-speed manual transmission. After a previous visit to a different dealer, his Camaro had died shortly after Clark retrieved it; while he suspected the staff at that dealership of joyriding, he had no proof at the time.

This time, the voice recorder hidden in the door pocket catches employees doing several burnouts and hard launches in the Camaro; Smith later says the techs drove it harder in 20 minutes than he had in three years. Once back in the shop, the mechanics realize the Camaro's clutch has been fried, and come up with a plan to blame the damage on Smith, saying to "write it up as him buying a (expletive) clutch," while saying another part failed under warranty so that General Motors would pay for its replacement.

Smith says he's taken his evidence to the dealer and Chevrolet customer service; the dealer offered to reassess the damage or take the Camaro as a trade-in on another car, but refused Smith's demand to buy the car back. Smith says Chevrolet customer service washed it hands of the problem, saying it was an issue between him and the dealer. As of the last update, the car's smoked clutch remains untouched.

Clark has said the dealership has threatened to sue him over the audio, but has also spoken with him about buying the Camaro back. The dealership may soon learn that in the Internet era, one burnt clutch can create quite the stink.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...152707580.html
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
That really sucks but not uncommon at all. And adding the Chevy before mechanics in the title is kind of bashing their name. This has nothing to do with Chevrolet. It has to do with 2 dumb ass technicians that need to fired.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Maker:
Aman (10-10-2012), Sarlacc (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
update per Yahoo
UPDATE: General Motors says in a statement that if the recording is valid it does not condone the behavior described, and that it is "actively working closely with the dealer to resolve this situation to the customer's satisfaction."
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
And this is why I couldn't work at a dealership anymore. The fucking BS the service manager with the top technician would do to customers was enough to get me sick to my stomach. They did however bend backwards for many and warranty the hell out of everything that was out of warranty but the flip note was, they weren't willing to help out fellow employes with their car problems (We parked away from the dealer our cars got vandalized). It was crazy, but I've seen a ton of crap between service and sales department with what they sell that shouldn't be sold to how much corners to cut on Certified cars ect ect.

After 10 years in the automotive business, I am so sick of it.. I left and currently unemployed and most likely going back to school for a brighter business future.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,488 Posts
This makes me glad I will be putting a dvr in my car.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,722 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Please explain....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
he's probably talking about the blackvue dashcam groupbuy a bunch of us bought. i think colt also got the PMP which he'll directly hook up to his battery so when his car is on or off and parked, the dashcam will be recording. probably will hook it up behind the rearview mirror...knowing the techs, they won't even look/see it
The following users liked this post:
pttl (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Its sad, yes... but lets be honest I am not surprised.

Every time my car goes to the stealership I find something they messed up AND every time they find a way to make it my fault.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mrstak
he's probably talking about the blackvue dashcam groupbuy a bunch of us bought. i think colt also got the PMP which he'll directly hook up to his battery so when his car is on or off and parked, the dashcam will be recording. probably will hook it up behind the rearview mirror...knowing the techs, they won't even look/see it
Yes this is what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by pttl
Please explain....
Digital video recorder. It won't hear what they say when the have the car off but it will record video the entire time they drive the car so I will know how it is driven. It will also be tracked by GPS so I will have speed information as well.

http://www.blackvueusa.co/ProductDet...e=DR400GHD16V2
pttl (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
^ Sounds like a great plan.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Video is down
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow....pretty sad.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
_

Originally Posted by mikebikelife
Video is down
Looks like Camaro owner removed it. Probably in talks with Chevy/dealership. But a lot of people have reposted it. Just search for "Camaro abused"

Last edited by AZuser; 10-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
"This video has been removed by the user."

I agree with Mr. Maker as this really has nothing to do with Chevy as it does the dumb ass techs.
Mr. Maker (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
I've only been at my current job for a couple months now, but I have already heard a couple stories about client IS-Fs being taken out & run hard on the highway as part of "diagnostic" BS.
It's a shame & 04WDP is right about how the employees are treated sometimes in regard to certain situations.

That being said, this doesn't surprise me now & makes me fear what happens to my Acura when it goes in for service. My only saving grace is that I know a few of the techs. & always specify that I want one of them working on my car. That doesn't save my car entirely, but it keeps me more at peace with the techs.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
What a bunch of douchebags.

If the Camaro has a blackbox it should also hold acceleration data, etc that could be used against the dealership no?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
_

Well, dealer bought car back from guy. Explains why video was removed by him.

Dealership in Camaro-thrashing story buys back car from satisfied owner

South Carolina resident William Clark's standoff with a dealership he accused of abusing his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS while in for service has ended in a settlement, with Clark and the dealership saying the Camaro was bought back and that the profits will be donated to charity. But judging by the feedback he received -- and we as well -- Clark's story hit a nerve.

Best Chevrolet of Easley, S.C., says in a statement to Motoramic that the Camaro will be auctioned for the March of Dimes. For his part, Clark says the dealership bought the Camaro back at more than Blue Book value -- with Clark saying his proceeds will also be donated to charity.

But Best Chevrolet also offers a defense of sorts to Clark's secret recording, which an attorney for the dealership had called "misleadlingly edited" and pushed to have taken down. While Clark captured tire-squealing driving by the technicians at Best Chevrolet and their discussion of making him pay for a new clutch, the dealership contends Clark drove the Camaro just as hard once it was in his possession.

"A car of that style needs to be driven hard to test for the problem he stated. It is a high performance car and is not likely to be damaged in such a way," the dealership said in a statement. "In his own words, his vehicle already had been damaged at another location."

Indeed, Clark did say another dealership had damaged the Camaro at some point -- which is why he hid an audio recorder in the door pocket. After getting into a standoff with the dealership that nearly escalated to a lawsuit, Clark says the dealer's buyback offer was generous, and he has taken the audio off YouTube.

Judging by the nearly 4,000 comments on our story and emails to Motoramic, Clark isn't alone. Untangling mechanical problems with a car can be a fraught process for both sides; one look at the Reddit thread of "Just rolled into the shop" provides a glimpse of how some owners abuse and neglect their vehicles for years. The tough economy has made people more likely to hold onto their old clunkers, leading to more fights at the service desk over what's urgent versus what's affordable.

Instead of secretly recording every person who touches your car, we'd suggest doing some extensive vetting before taking your ride into a shop; many sites offer reviews of dealerships and independent mechanics, not to mention the Better Business Bureau. It's better than spinning your wheels after the fact.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...221510197.html

Last edited by AZuser; 10-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
I usually see this crap with the Nissan dealer whenever a GTR goes for service. It's probably the same tech but you don't have to be driving it that fast on a test drive but it's no where near as bad as these guys with the Camaro. Makes me sick.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
TIVO in the TSX? :thief:
Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
And this is why I couldn't work at a dealership anymore. The fucking BS the service manager with the top technician would do to customers was enough to get me sick to my stomach. They did however bend backwards for many and warranty the hell out of everything that was out of warranty but the flip note was, they weren't willing to help out fellow employes with their car problems (We parked away from the dealer our cars got vandalized). It was crazy, but I've seen a ton of crap between service and sales department with what they sell that shouldn't be sold to how much corners to cut on Certified cars ect ect.

After 10 years in the automotive business, I am so sick of it.. I left and currently unemployed and most likely going back to school for a brighter business future.
Here's how it goes, sometimes

Originally Posted by Anonymous Dealership Tech
How do you sleep at night?
Originally Posted by Service Writer
On my side.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Glad this was made right!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM

As good as it is to see the dealer did right I have to say I am surprised they did it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
As good as it is to see the dealer did right I have to say I am surprised they did it.
With this kind of publicity, i can't say I'm surprised. I bet GM also pressured them into buying it back too.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Yes this is what I am talking about.

Digital video recorder. It won't hear what they say when the have the car off but it will record video the entire time they drive the car so I will know how it is driven. It will also be tracked by GPS so I will have speed information as well.

http://www.blackvueusa.co/ProductDet...e=DR400GHD16V2
the blackvue's we bought do record voice also. i'm likely to turn off that feature cuz i find myself singing to my ipod in the car...dont need those embarrassing recordings
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Every time my car goes to the stealership I find something they messed up AND every time they find a way to make it my fault.
I took two of my vehicles to Kal Tire to have em worked on.

My 02 Kia Rio resulted in a shattered wheel spindle which they attempted to make me pay for even though the tech shattered it while super-heating it with a torch and wailing on it with a (cold) sledge hammer in the dead of winter, with the shop floor damn near freezing.

My 01 CL-S was taken in for lower ball joints, and an inner tie rod. That resulted in a broken brake caliper, which they again tried to bill me for. Upon leaving my steering started to intermittently cut out (turn steering-wheel, no connection to wheels). I took it back and after 3 hours of waiting for them, and all 5 techs surrounding the car the whole time, the problem magically disappeared. They tried to bill me 3 hours shop rate and claim it was my imagination.

I grabbed my keys and walked out to the tune of threatening a law suit seeing as I lost steering directly after they touched my car.

Oh and 30km extra on the odometer too. Kind of excessive when testing for ball joints and tie rods I should think.