cars and houses

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm totally biased, and to each his own... personally, I hate the boxter.. I don't even like the Z roadster that much. Personally, if you want some fun right now... I would get an S2000 enjoy that right now and get your dream porsche in a few more years....

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
you don't think a boxster is worth it? It was real hit or miss with this one for me...I'm still on the fence...although here's something you'd appreciate as a Z man...my wife sent me a link to a black 350z convertible and said that was way nicer than the boxster...so we are going to go to montgomeryville nissan tonight to check it out. I LOVE the way the coupes look more...but if I only get two seats, I may as well get some open air action...lol...

does everyone here agree that a boxster is a poor man's porsche?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you say that lotustracker? I like the looks, but I am turned off by the fact there there is no sunroof anything. I like to have SOME sort of open air motoring.
After driving cayman s and 911 I would definately take they cayman hands down. Its much more fun to drive and I personally like the way it looks better, but since its not convertible then you probably want to go with the 911 since the boxster is a chick car....
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
I'm totally biased, and to each his own... personally, I hate the boxter.. I don't even like the Z roadster that much. Personally, if you want some fun right now... I would get an S2000 enjoy that right now and get your dream porsche in a few more years....
lol...already did the s2k...i would go do one again if they offered factory nav since it was such a PITA to custom fit an aftermarket unit...outo f curiousity, why do you not like the Z roadster?

lotus...lol...you're the third person that has told me the boxster is a chick car...which is funny b/c of all the ones in the King of Prussia area, (and there are a LOT) they are all driven by middle-aged to older men) But yeah, if you compare convertibles, 911 cabrio is def > boxster...i just figured you can get like an 05 now for about 35k...but for that money, it all comes back down to the NSX yummy got me up on..what have you done!!!!????

Lotus, since you have an elise, can you tell me anythign about that compared to the aforementioned vehicles? I know it's known as a hardcore track car, but tell me about its day to day use. do you use it as a daily driver?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

like all have said before "f" the neighbors, my dad lives in suburbia and owns a 5 br 4 bth cookie cutter home and he makes good money but he didn't spend that much on his house but he just ordered his Lambo and doesn't give a shit what the neighboors think. the next door neighbor is a jelouse bastard and got a regular corvette to try and match my dad's Z06 but that guy is a douchebag. Fuck em buy the porche
Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Disinformation Terminator

lol...this would be my daily driver, but it would sure as hell be tracked, no worries there!!! I have driven 3 of what you have mentioned. The boxster (very roadster like, close to s2k, not as rough), 997 (just plain awesome!), and the 993 (which drives the helluva lot more wild than the 997!) Which one do you have? any recommendations? I like drivers' cars, but at the same time it has to be cushy enough to say...take the wife out to dinner on the town...so far boxster and 993 are my faves driving wise, 997 looks and technology wise.

deity, it'll actually be my daily driver so it'll be OUT of the garage a majority of the time. the garage will be for the TL, and my wife's ridgeline. the accord and sc300 are what we leave in the driveway as they are both of our dd's. Although...being a porsche...i guess i'd be an idiot to not leave it in the garage...
With this in mind, is the 997 looks and technology worth the big price premium? 993's are great cars, but they are coming on 10 years old and will need more care ($$$) for a daily driver than some of the newer models. In regards to the 993 targa, avoid that one like the plague; 993 targas (sliding sunroof style, like the newer ones) are notorious for squeaks and rattles from the tops.

Boxsters are the real deal, not a poor man's Porsche at all. They're common, which is why they probably get that reputation.

If it was me, I'd opt for either a Boxster S or a 2002+ 996. The 3.6L 2002+ cars had a host of improvements and upgrades that make them a good upgrade from the earlier 3.4L 996s.

Hey, can't go wrong with an NSX either though!

My Porsche is a 1993 968. I just gotta be different.....

So with the new addition, whatever it is, you will have 5 cars between you and your wife? Perhaps consider letting one or two of those go.....

Cheers,
-Mirror
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Lotus, since you have an elise, can you tell me anythign about that compared to the aforementioned vehicles? I know it's known as a hardcore track car, but tell me about its day to day use. do you use it as a daily driver?
I abosolutely love the elise. It is like driving a oversized go kart with the look of an exotic. I don't really drive it daily, but in the summer I do take it often to work 3 days a week probably. As far as day to day use its an absolute pain in the cock to get in and out of because of the huge side sills and you basically have to be a contortionist to get in and out of it with the top on. The only thing I would say it would be simialr too is the cayman as far as handling goes, but the cayman is much more civil. I also considered getting an 04 911 c4 convertible before getting the elise, but after driving one I felt it was too tame for me considering I like to track the car at least 2 times a month. I can definately see myself driving one later in life, but for now no thanks if I am buying a porsche its a cayman s.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
knowing what those houses cost in kop, go for it if you are comfortable
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Well gee...if we're about to go THAT high, why don't we just tell PLH to get a V8 Vantage.

It's only $20K more than the Targa, no...?

I say spending this much $$$$ this early in his life is a bit reckless esp. with one kid and another on the way. Save up...and be prepared for a rainy day--cuz, you really never know IMO. But, again...that could be the Chink in me talking again.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Post a pic of your house and the car. I'll photoshop it, then you can make your final decision.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't knock on the Boxster til you drive it. With mid engine setup, it is one of the best handling cars in the world. Also I think the Elise would be nice to drive a few days a week, but it would be a pain in the ass to drive everyday. There is almost no sound deadening material in it.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldnt care about the kind of neighborhood I lived unless i thought someone was gonna steal my car. In that case I would not want to live in that neighborhood in the first place.
I don't like in a "special" nighborhood but the house we have now is all we need. It is just the two of us. I will be buying whatever car I like.
There is one guy with an SLK55 AMG down the street that is b-e-a-utiful. He lives in a house similar to ours. 3bedroom split level with detached garage. It is the most normal looking nieghboorhood ever. The houses arent even new. They were built the 50's and 60's. A lot of retirees!!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by LotusTracker
After driving cayman s and 911 I would definately take they cayman hands down. Its much more fun to drive and I personally like the way it looks better, but since its not convertible then you probably want to go with the 911 since the boxster is a chick car....

I like the way the cayman drives also. I'm just not thrilled with the value quotient, put a few options on the s and you're staring at 65k in a hurry.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Drifting

The garage we are buliding right now has the same square footage as my house. Some people think that's insane, others think it's awesome - between my boyfriend and I, we are up to 3 cars, 4 quads and a dirt bike, along with the tractor and riding lawnmower. My house is absolutely the perfect size for my boyfriend and I. Large enough to get away from each other, but small enough to maintain, and you can't beat the piece of property it sits on. We bought it as a slow flip, and have every intention of staying as long as possible. We have the room for an addition, if need be, because we aren't finding another piece of property like this ever. I have never understood the importance of buying bigger and bigger houses, and being house poor. I would rather have a smaller house, and many toys, than vice versa
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I like the way the cayman drives also. I'm just not thrilled with the value quotient, put a few options on the s and you're staring at 65k in a hurry.

I agree, but it is a streal compared to the 911.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:14 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Those who don't like the boxster are NUTS, its a great car that is very fun to drive. The 987 boxster shares 55%(or so I am told from well respect p car people) of its parts with a 997, so if you hate the boxster, you hate greater then half of the 911. The boxster has earned a bad rap from posers who try and rock a 98 boxster auto with 187k miles on it, like he is the man. A boxster S is a very capable car and if I were looking at getting a 911 cabrio I would get a boxster S and not think twice.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Though I've never driven a Boxster it has a stigma that it is a Porsche for chicks. But really though, its the stigma of pretty much all convertibles. Either its an old man driving it or a chick.

Its like the VW Beetle Turbo S. I could really care less how fast the car is or how nimble it handles. It looks fugly, and is a chick's car. Call me shallow but at least I'm not :ghey:
Old 08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy what you like and don't worry what other people will think

Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.
I wish I could have afforded a p-car when I was your age... If you can swing it, do it, and you'll never have the regret later in life of never having done it... When you're old, and your grandkids ask what you're smiling about, you'll be able to tell them you're thinking about your old porsche
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Tireguy
Those who don't like the boxster are NUTS, its a great car that is very fun to drive..
Agreed, the 05+ Boxster S is a very entertaining car to drive, if I wanted a Porsche and wasn't looking to spend an absolute fortune.....I would get one.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
we live in a middle class neighborhood and we prob have the nicest cars, and they arent really that new, but look great.

doesnt bother me one bit
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Mile High

My dad had a white 996 in addition to his TL. And we live in a modest neighborhood and a modest house. He nor I really cared what other people thought, as it was ALWAYS garaged.

No one cares, just get the 911!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

My issue with your choices is are you buying the car to drive it or for status? For the cash if you just want pimp status there are many other choices imho, but if your gonna do pca events and really drive the car than stick with porsche. That is why I keep recommending the cayman s. I would hate to see you spend money on a 911 if youre not going to drive it like its meant to be driven.

Last edited by phil2; 08-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 PM

Just think your car will be in the streets more than your drive way, don't get the g35 because everytime you're in your infiniti and see a 911 you'll envy them. And when you see a young women driving the G35 you will say I should have gotten the 911 hell I can afford it, but if you want to wait the boxter is a good option.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by LotusTracker
My issue with your choices is are you buying the car to drive it or for status? For the cash if you just want pimp status there are many other choices imho, but if your gonna do pca events and really drive the car than stick with porsche. That is why I keep recommending the cayman s. I would hate to see you spend money on a 911 if youre not going to drive it like its meant to be driven.
That's cool. There's a very diverse group of responses. I am buying the car in hopes of driving it. But seriously I don't see it being more than once every few weeks, weather permitting. Cayman s is very sound for driving for sure....but the :ghey: in me wants SOME sort of open air. I understand your last sentence though, and can appreciate that. I hope to not be one of those types who has a fun car that is married to the garage...

yummy, the more I think about it though, the more the chink in me comes out and says go with the cheaper and save more...hahaha...i should find me an 86...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 PM

Hell my response to everyones car woosssss is to get an M3, you can even get a drop top, there's nothing with that. The M3 is a monster. What's funny about the 911 is to me I like the open air version when the top is up better than the coupe. Saving money's always good.
Good Luck
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

That's cool. There's a very diverse group of responses. I am buying the car in hopes of driving it. But seriously I don't see it being more than once every few weeks, weather permitting. Cayman s is very sound for driving for sure....but the :ghey: in me wants SOME sort of open air. I understand your last sentence though, and can appreciate that. I hope to not be one of those types who has a fun car that is married to the garage...

yummy, the more I think about it though, the more the chink in me comes out and says go with the cheaper and save more...hahaha...i should find me an 86...

NSX FTW...!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Screw that, man. Get what you like. Who's expectations are trying to live up to anyhow? Your own, right? So do what you want.

When I was a kid (mid/late 70's) we lived in a small town in a trailer park. Younger guy (mid-20's I guess) across the street had a Metallic Gold '63(?) Split Window Corvette totally mint. WAY too good for that rinky-dink trailer park, but what the hell, it was his car and he loved it.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by ZtotallynakedZ
The garage we are buliding right now has the same square footage as my house. Some people think that's insane, others think it's awesome - between my boyfriend and I, we are up to 3 cars, 4 quads and a dirt bike, along with the tractor and riding lawnmower. My house is absolutely the perfect size for my boyfriend and I. Large enough to get away from each other, but small enough to maintain, and you can't beat the piece of property it sits on. We bought it as a slow flip, and have every intention of staying as long as possible. We have the room for an addition, if need be, because we aren't finding another piece of property like this ever. I have never understood the importance of buying bigger and bigger houses, and being house poor. I would rather have a smaller house, and many toys, than vice versa
mad props to you!!! sounds like you're building the garage that my wife prolly won't ever let me build...lol...

yummy chan...you shold have heard my wife last night after i showed her a pic of the NSX...(keep in mind she thinks lambos are ugly, ford gt is ugly, most ferraris are ugly, corvette is ugly...her idea of sexy cars are 911's, maseratis, and astons) she laughed in my face and said if I get that car then I would be the only one to ever use it...which can be good or bad...but i kinda wanted to use it a our pimp weekend car out without the kids...so i'm either gonna have to convince her to let me get one, or deal with the wrath of wifezilla if I buy it without letting her know...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
yummy chan...you shold have heard my wife last night after i showed her a pic of the NSX...
she laughed in my face and said if I get that car then I would be the only one to ever use it... know...
Umm...you say this like its a bad thing
Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Loseit
Umm...you say this like its a bad thing
lol...well in our house, we typically agree on cars on a basis that at some point both of us will need to use it. So she was the other half of my decision for the other cars we have ever owned (except the g35c... that was impulse) So to have her say that only one of us would use it more or less means I'm sleeping in the doghouse if I get it...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Instructor

dude i live in providence crossing(the neighborhood between trooper and valley forge rd). Our houses are pretty nice but are anything spectacular. My neighbor has a gallardo and it looks fine. than again if you were to buy a cheaper car you could use the money for alot of other things. have you looked into a z06?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by iamandypark
dude i live in providence crossing(the neighborhood between trooper and valley forge rd). Our houses are pretty nice but are anything spectacular. My neighbor has a gallardo and it looks fine. than again if you were to buy a cheaper car you could use the money for alot of other things. have you looked into a z06?
I know that area! the houses there are not bad a all. If you are in the new deveklopment area, then your house is probably much newer than ours. Ours was built in the 50's. A gallardo in that area is not bad...lol..I've looked into Z06, but I'll admit. I'm being a little :ghey: in my choice of purchase. I don't think I "look the part" for being a Z06 driver. So if I cannot visualize myself in a car, it's tough for me to muster any passion (as much as I respect the Z06 and what it is capable of). Even though I'm about the performance, the fruit in me wants something I can look at everyday with endless passion...i would love a gallardo except two things...my wife would never let me get one, and I don't think I can afford one anyway. Aren't they like, 150 or so? that's a little more than I was looknig to spend....
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
socialism= the suck

have you thought about the Nissan or Infinti GT-R when it comes to the USA.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by stright-(paint)balling
have you thought about the Nissan or Infinti GT-R when it comes to the USA.
actually no I have not...and in all honesty, I do not know why it didn't even cross my mind!!! I'm not passionate about the looks of the new one, but it looks pretty hot. The racing pedigree of skylines sells me as it is... later this year?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Instructor

gt-r is hawwwwwt. If your looking for snob appreal gt-r isnt the way to go though. bmw m6 ftw!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Money is funny.

not lookin for snob appeal per se, just want to fulfill some of my childhood dreams of owning a prestigious sports car. I have been saving for 9 years to do so..but GT-R does have many points going for it....
Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Another thing to discourage you from ever wanting to own a Gallardo, clutch replacements are $6,500.

Boxster S. Just do it.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

^

A Gallardo...? Whoa...this convo has suddenly gone orbital.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Another thing to discourage you from ever wanting to own a Gallardo, clutch replacements are $6,500.

Is that for a car with e-gear or a regular manual?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
^

My thoughts exactly.

My vote would be as long as you think you can afford the house, the family and see good growth potential in your job, then now is not a bad time to do it. If you mess up, at least you are young enough to get back on your feet.

Another option is to just save the money for a couple years and then treat yourself.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Yumchah
^

lol...hellz no..i definitely could not afford to keep a gallardo...that would drive me bonkers...6500 clutch??? get the hell outta here...lol...boxster s seems like s civic by comparison...lol..and I would have to get standard too...

ravi...affording the house is a no brainer...we have the next 25 years worth of mortgage payments sitting in a savings account so we don't even need to worry about making the mortgage for the next 25 or so years. The thought had crossed my mind to save for like another 7-10 years and just get something badass like an F430...but i'm not sure if I can wait that long...lol....or i can get a good deal now, sell it take a minor loss and upgrade again...I think you guys have convinced me to go ahead and get a REAL fun car...I love the SC, but too cushy not enough sporty...btw ravi, can't send you what i wanted to send you but i am going to send you something with our company logo on it...hopefully you can make it out...

Quick Reply: cars and houses