Car Shopping Day 1 : Subie Dealer (STI and Legacy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Shopping Day 1 : Subie Dealer (STI and Legacy)

Today was my first "official" day of car shopping. I headed over to the Subaru Dealer after work today to look at the STI and the Legacy. I've wanted the STI since the first day it came out.......and I finally have the resources to get one!

As soon as I got to the dealer I headed straight toward the STI. I must say I was very impressed with it up close. The interior has been upgraded for '05 and it looked really good. The brushed aluminum trim and the new steering wheel looked beautiful. The seats fit your torso perfectly and they were very comfortable. The back seats look cheap as hell though. I almost couldn't believe how cheap the back looked/felt. But anyways....who cares about the interior. This car is fast as hell (no surprise). I've recently driven an E46 M3 and I can honestly say that it pulls similarly off the line. It handles like a dream (again no suprise). I took a few very windy roads and I was amazed at how it hugged the corners and kept us from swinging back and forth. Solid. The major drawback to this car......one word: RAW. This car is very very RAW. Not much refinement.....you shoud expect all the vibrations and noise in the cabin....this car was made purely for performance and definitely not for comfort. I love the STI but honestly can't see myself driving it everyday, I think all the vibrating and noise would get to me eventually. I honestly thought that I'd fall in love with this car as soon as I drove it.....I was scared I'd buy it on the spot, but it made me think about it a lot more carefully.

After driving the STI I hopped into a Legacy GT. The interior of the Legacy is VERY comfortable. You definitely get a different feel as soon as you sit down in it. Everything felt high quality......dual climate control was definitely a nice touch. Very luxurious feel.....I'd even go as far as to compare it with the Audi interiors. I was impressed. Now as soon as I started driving this thing.....I was in love. I've read people say that this thing is awesome.......now I know what they're talking about. This thing is an absolute dream to drive. You would never guess this is a 4 banger. This thing has such smooth acceleration (it pulls!!!), the gears fly through the gates with ease and you feel very confident at the wheel. I've recently driven a IS300, 325ci, TSX, 2004 TL, 2nd Gen CL and can honestly say that I'd probably buy the Legacy over any of those. I definitely had more fun in the Legacy than those cars. Now Looks and Options may be the only drawback....The Legacy lacks HID's (as well as a sixth gear) and the looks are average to me. The five listed above probably all look better than the Legacy as well as offer better options. But for under $30k, this car is the best bang for the buck....by far.

Sorry for the long post, but just thought I'd share my Subaru experience with you guys. I never expected to leave the dealer wanting a Legacy more than the STI. The Legacy is bad-ass. I have some serious thinking to do......but still have to test drive the S2k and the G35 coupe.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I test drove a legacy gt today. unfortunately they didnt have the STI in stock. i was pretty impressed with the legacy gt though. had nice power, handled very well for a sedan, interior was nice. i agree with you though that while it was a great deal for around 30k, it just left something to be desired in the sport dept. looks are ok, but kinda boring, and the car really begs for a 6th gear. navigation is not available in this car yet either..something i've grown to love in my z. i wish they would make a 'touring' model STI...with a radio, luxo goodies, etc.. i'd be all over it. unfortunately the only AWD car out there that really interests me is the audi s4....but i was looking for lower payments than what i've got now, and even with a lease that's just not possible (residual is in teh toilet on the s4).
Old 08-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by zeroday
i wish they would make a 'touring' model STI...with a radio, luxo goodies, etc.. i'd be all over it. unfortunately the only AWD car out there that really interests me is the audi s4....but i was looking for lower payments than what i've got now, and even with a lease that's just not possible (residual is in teh toilet on the s4).
Zero, the 05 STi comes standard with a CD radio, full auto climate, power windows, locks, mirrors, adjustable xenons, keyless entry.

Factory options include the center armrest, boost gauge, auto dimming mirror, short shift kit, alarm.

The only thing the car doesn't have is Nav, power seats, heated seats (cloth, don't need them), sunroof.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:43 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,956 Likes on 2,639 Posts
Actually, IF i remember correctly, the armrests are standard in the 05, and are part of the center console as opposed to being a removeable option as the 04.

That is what I remember seeing in the ones I've driven. Even though the dealer websites list it as installed option. Same with the short shifter, I think they are all short shifters.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
Zero, the 05 STi comes standard with a CD radio, full auto climate, power windows, locks, mirrors, adjustable xenons, keyless entry.

Factory options include the center armrest, boost gauge, auto dimming mirror, short shift kit, alarm.

The only thing the car doesn't have is Nav, power seats, heated seats (cloth, don't need them), sunroof.
well thats good news. spending that much on a car without getting a radio bugged me a little. now i just have to find a dealer that has one of these so i can drive it.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
Actually, IF i remember correctly, the armrests are standard in the 05, and are part of the center console as opposed to being a removeable option as the 04.
Nope, the armrest extension is still an option on the 05....its cheap, like $180 give or take. The short shift option is pricey, around $480.

They have a black 05 in the showroom locally, has the alarm/mirror/armrest/shortshiftkit (included on the factory window sticker). That stuff might very well be installed at the port and the window stickers printed there.

Zero....yeah not including a radio on the 04 was a bit ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Lurker

The STi has the basics down in terms of comfort, but it's still pretty far from being comfortable. It's loud in the cabin, everything vibrates and a few parts of the cabin look cheap as hell. But that's not why you buy the car anyways. I still love it. The stock stereo is decent....in dash 6-disc changer and you can even get a small sub under the passenger seat. Steering wheel is a huge improvement from last year....at least from a looks standpoint.

I want to try out the short shifter and see if it's that much different. Throws are short as they are....but they're not as short as an S2K.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Type S personality

I went to test the GT Ltd with a friend. I have tried both the 5spd and the AT. The car is fast, especially in 5spd. The shifting is a bit notchy but not bad. Car is nimble and responsive. Steering is very nice. Handles well. Performance wise I can't complain. I had a nice smile on my face most of the test drive. Did some hard turns and it was very nice.

The exterior is nice. The tires I think can be bigger. Not many on the streets yet. The interior is the downside for me. The seats lack lumber support. My friend said he didn't feel comfortable in the back seat. No homelink, steering wheel controls. The stereo is not as nice. No HID.

Love the AWD and power, dont love the interior and lack of some features. It's almost the same price as the TL here in Canada. The TL interior is much nicer. For me I think I will forgo the performance and go with comfort.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:25 PM

I am so glad we get the STi and EVo here finally..... Suburu is doing some good things.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:58 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Limmerz
I want to try out the short shifter and see if it's that much different. Throws are short as they are....but they're not as short as an S2K.
I guess the one I drove has the shifter in it.

It was SHORT, I threw into first and had to triple check that it was in gear....its just almost no throw, I loved it.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:59 PM
The Third Ball

Btw Where Is Day Two???
Old 08-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Lurker

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
Btw Where Is Day Two???

Busy as hell this week at work, couldn't get out in time to hit up the dealers. Still need to test drive the G35c and a couple used 3-series.

No matter how much I loved driving the Legacy....I'm still leaning towards the STi. But insurance is damn high....
Old 08-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the legacy gt is an awesome car, i recently drove one for car and driver along with a volvo s60 and a 325i .... the legacy blew the other two out of the water. Honestly i think the CL -S is quicker feeling then the legacy, but it was quick as hell especially for a four cyl.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To be fully honest

to be quite the honest individual... Get an 04 or 05 Lancer Evolution.... It handles better (ive own the evo, drivent the STI) and in 04 there is a leather seating and 300 watt infinity system.... I feel that the leather interior is a 300% improvment on the evo.... Definately consider