Car shopping cont'd: 2012 G37xS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car shopping cont'd: 2012 G37xS

Test drove a 2012 G37Xs today. Silver with black leather- was sharp, and very clean.

First impressions- wow exterior just looked nicer in person- doors shut nicely with good solid sound.
Once I got in, I felt the sports seats felt good, but the space was tight. There was almost no rear leg room space.
I didnt care about where the nav/rotary control was positioned in the car compared to the acura.

Overall, exciting to drive- as read in reviews the transmission is jumpy always bouncing around gears. It felt like a wild stallion.

The 2012 SHAWD TL i test drove a few weeks before felt much slower off the line, but still fun to drive- the interior felt more comfortable, relaxed- but yet sporty- The G37 just felt all or none in terms of compromise.

Its strange though there is a part of me that liked the G37 and its hard to forget about it, kinda like an ex the treated you badly but you would always take her back. haha.

So I think im leaning towards the TL SHAWD once the right one comes up. There was a black with uber red interior i foun last week- thing sold within a week! Was priced decent at 28500.

They are aksing too much for the G37, $31500. Ive seen similar ones also certified for ~28k. Tires were pretty low too in thread.

The MDX was in the shop and they gave me a new RDX loaner while I waited- I have to say, it felt even nicer to slide into the RDX after the G37 test driving. I guess just too harsh/high strung for me?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
You're going to get pretty biased opinions when coming to an Acura forum but I'll tell you my story in choosing a car and what I tested.

It was between a G37, IS350/250, 335i and my TL currently.

My main goal was comfort (spacious), AWD, and reliability.

The G37 had sportiness but reliability wasn't there for previous infinities and I was of course worried about owning this car for a long period of time. I usually hit the 200,000km mark before buying a new car. I've heard things about maintenance and burning oil, and eventually driving one and sitting inside, the interior seem outdated... or maybe I wasn't just too impressed.

The IS350 was RWD only, but I liked the power. The IS250AWD was very good, but sluggish. I really considered this for the longest time due to amazing reliability with Lexus/Toyota vehicles. I eventually gave up on this due to the back seat. It might as well have been a 2 door vehicle. Along with that was the outdated interior.

The 335i I was so close to buying, but with my pickiness, I wasn't able to find a 2009+ LCI model with Nav with AWD for under a certain price under a certain km and in sport/m package. After waiting and waiting and traveling 500km to find some, I gave up. Although I do regret sometimes not buying a turbo vehicle or saying "I own a BMW." I eventually started to see my friend run into a lot of problems with his. Continuous tire wear even after numerous alignments along with the constant burning of oil and emission/sensor issues due to the turbo.

This landed me with the TL. The SH-AWD is amazing at handling, great for winter, pretty roomy back seats, and overall an amazing daily. Only down size is it's horrible on gas but I've come to accept it.

If you're looking for something sporty... I'd skip the G37 and go for a Lexus IS-F. You're going to be spending around the same for a vehicle that will outlast the G37 and provide you with more fun out of a better sounding and reliable V8 engine. If there wasn't winter where I lived, that would have been my vehicle of choice.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
While TL's engine is coarse, the G37's engine is in a different category. The lack of refinement is what drove me away from G37... To be fair though, the lack of stick and AWD combination also had a role ;-)
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
drove a g37s coupe for a few years. i liked the look, the VQ37HR fantastic in the end though it was souless to me. very numb driving driving. gave me zero enjoyment.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I'm beginning year 4 with my '12 SH-AWD tech, and I have never regretted the purchase. I've never thought what if I bought that 3 series, or the IS, or the A6, or the GS, or the C class, or the SRT Jeep, or the Tundra - yeah cross shopping? That's me. I test drove so many vehicles my better half was greeting me at the door with a shotgun most nights.

You have to decide what's most important to you right? I mean you're the one getting behind the wheel every day. I had a 2006 Avalon - lets talk about the most mind numbing driving vehicle in the history of mankind. Ultra plush, ultra reliable, Ultra spaceous, and Ultra Boring. A couch on 4 wheels. I wanted a vehicle with some power, great handling, and I wanted to feel the road again. Back in Oct 2011 nothing out there could beat the TL without beating its price by over 15K.

Here's the kicker, I never THOUGHT about an Acura. I think to this day I'm the only one in my town that has a TL. I saw a commercial one night and was reminded they existed. The only Acura's I ever saw were MDX's. My local dealer (hour away) were super friendly, and let me take the car for as long a test drive as I wanted. I brought the daughter, who went with me on almost every test drive, and we both loved it within 20 minutes. The first on ramp we took on to I90 sold us. Pushing that SH-AWD just felt great.

Sorry for the ramble, that's what happens when you get older I guess. Get the SH-AWD, you won't look back
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I'm beginning year 4 with my '12 SH-AWD tech, and I have never regretted the purchase. I've never thought what if I bought that 3 series, or the IS, or the A6, or the GS, or the C class, or the SRT Jeep, or the Tundra - yeah cross shopping? That's me. I test drove so many vehicles my better half was greeting me at the door with a shotgun most nights.

You have to decide what's most important to you right? I mean you're the one getting behind the wheel every day. I had a 2006 Avalon - lets talk about the most mind numbing driving vehicle in the history of mankind. Ultra plush, ultra reliable, Ultra spaceous, and Ultra Boring. A couch on 4 wheels. I wanted a vehicle with some power, great handling, and I wanted to feel the road again. Back in Oct 2011 nothing out there could beat the TL without beating its price by over 15K.

Here's the kicker, I never THOUGHT about an Acura. I think to this day I'm the only one in my town that has a TL. I saw a commercial one night and was reminded they existed. The only Acura's I ever saw were MDX's. My local dealer (hour away) were super friendly, and let me take the car for as long a test drive as I wanted. I brought the daughter, who went with me on almost every test drive, and we both loved it within 20 minutes. The first on ramp we took on to I90 sold us. Pushing that SH-AWD just felt great.

Sorry for the ramble, that's what happens when you get older I guess. Get the SH-AWD, you won't look back
Man I'm looking in a mirror. I asked The salesman if he thought I was weird I. Was trying to use the Nav, climate controls, and radio to see how I like the interface and position s

I kept missing how convenient it is in the Acura having that wheel right in front of the shifter as our mdx. I just liked the interior much more in the tl.

I guess it's hard bc the g has a sexy. Exterior...power motor... It's closest thing to a sports car with 4 doors. So there is no compromise.

The tl loses the racer nods but makes up with other compliance.

Anyone else suffer like me in the decision? Guys bare with me.. I had nice cars growing up... Got married had a family.. Threw my wife in a 40k, mdx 5 years ago.. Been driving a work dd last 11 years.. Honda Accord couple.. Still runs good lol.. I want to make right choice.
I talked myself into bring content with something under 30k...its just my dd.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I sometimes think about the used e90 m3 or m235i that i tried before i bought my 2014. However, between the tl and g there was never any doubt for me, the TL revving to redline sounded much better to me than the coffee grinder G and i prefered the TLs interior.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:12 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
5 Years with my G37S sedan and I've owned her since new. No issues in 50k miles. I still have fun every time I get behind the wheel. This is the longest I've ever kept a car.

I do wish it was a little larger (wider) inside and had a bit more low-end torque. Otherwise I'm a happy camper.

My previous vehicle was a 3G TL, not as reliable, a lot of rattles since new, but I did like that car quite a bit despite its short comings.