Car Salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010 | 04:02 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by StonedCL
The people that would rather get a steady paycheck then a chance to bring home $5000 in week are the guys that just want to get buy in life and do not want to excel..
You get what you put in, and thats why alot of people don't make it cuz they want to get but not put in!
If that was true, you'd be spending some of your commission money on grammar lessons at the local community college instead of embarrassing yourself post after post with this drivel you call typing.
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:02 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

You have to enjoy what u do , and you will do well...
I love my job, I meet new people everyday, I drive alot of different cars ..
BUT I was a car nut since i was little , I had all the matchbox cars and always thought I would own a Lutus Espirt..
I worked for Verizon Wireless for a few years and Loved dealing with people ( I am a people person in person) so I moved on to my 2 loves people and cars and I enjoy everyday at work.. And the managers dont give me a hard time cuz they know I am here to make $$ , I see them get on some people and feel kinda bad for them, but they leave me alone...

You got to be happy and have a great personality to make good money selling cars.. I would not give this up for a steady paycheck and a cubicle for 8 hours a day... When you work at a job that you earn a steady pay and make the same amount as the guy in the cubicle next to you but due double the work..NO WAY .. not for me... The people that would rather get a steady paycheck then a chance to bring home $5000 in week are the guys that just want to get buy in life and do not want to excel..
You get what you put in, and thats why alot of people don't make it cuz they want to get but not put in!
thanks for clarifying that you're a people person in person.
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:05 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Hey. According to StonedCL, he made $30k in 9 months last year but was able to buy a Condo and lease a new car last year.

Clearly I should leave the legal field behind and jump on the Conspiracy Theory Bandwagon.

On a serious note: OP, it's probably not the best idea to invest into a Car Sales position with the current economic status. Then again, you're 18, so I guess it couldn't exactly hurt you.
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

When you will never get your dream car......there is always the knock-off.

Dream big, StonedCL!!! Dream big!!!
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:28 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by BraveDemon

Hey. According to StonedCL, he made $30k in 9 months last year but was able to buy a Condo and lease a new car last year.

Clearly I should leave the legal field behind and jump on the Conspiracy Theory Bandwagon.

On a serious note: OP, it's probably not the best idea to invest into a Car Sales position with the current economic status. Then again, you're 18, so I guess it couldn't exactly hurt you.

Again not reading correctly.. 30K at GM in first 9 months of the year and 15K at infinity YTD which was 3 so I had a bad year and made 45K
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
A car nut that sells Infinitys and belifes that he will own a Lutus. Jesus Christ.
Yeah I belived I would own a lotus when i was 13.. Like every 13Y/O thats into matchbox cars..LOL again you guys read only what u want to..
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Hes right, you do have to love it.

He loves sitting on his ass in a car dealership day after day posting dumb shit on Acura because no one is buying cars right now.

So, if you love sitting in an empty showroom doing nothing all day, be our guest and follow in mr.9/11's shoes. I bet you get real bored real quick.

LOL.. but you are on here reading my every post and analizing them and checking spelling from your home.. WOW you have a life!
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Hey everyone.

With respect to the OP, let's at least try to keep this thread in the direction that he intended. It sounds as if he has a decision to make and needs some advice.

Thanks

Terry
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:46 PM
The Third Ball

LOL.. but you are on here reading my every post and analizing them and checking spelling from your home.. WOW you have a life!
Actually. Since the one thing you are good at is making completely incorrect assumptions. I happen to be waiting in line a the DMV to pick up the plates I ordered for my challenger.

I've been home for maybe an hour today. But keep makin those guesses. Maybe one day you'll get it right.......doubtful.
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:47 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hey everyone.

With respect to the OP, let's at least try to keep this thread in the direction that he intended. It sounds as if he has a decision to make and needs some advice.

Thanks

Terry
roger that
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:49 PM

my advice (though i know nothing about the business) is if that's what you want to do, go for it. you're only 18, and i'm going to assume that you're not needing it to pay for major bills, kids, family, etc.

if the going's tough and nobody's buying cars, at least you'll still have that experience, which can only help you later on. if it goes well, you can make decent to very good money from it and find a short or long-term career out of it.

with your age, i think there's not a whole lot to lose.

sorry if this has been mentioned, but are you going to school too?

and i don't think your age should be an issue, but it might end up being one if you're trying to sell an MB or a jaguar or something like that.

good luck, let us know how it goes, sorry this thread went off course.
Old 02-22-2010 | 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by teranfon
Hey everyone.

Thanks

Terry
I tried to give my advice but there are certain people in here that "love" me and follow and analize my every post.. Maybee I should start tweeting for all me fans!
Old 02-22-2010 | 06:45 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Thats funny the guy (stoned cl) who tried to say making 50-75k wasn't good money. I can bet within one year I will be make double to triple what you make and getting paid to travel the world. face it you a car salesmen. There is more employee turnaround in the industry than one could fathom.. You have no room to give advice on what someones career path should be.
Old 02-22-2010 | 07:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

At this point I would advise against getting into car sales. Despite what some here have said, people ARE buying cars and you can very easily make a living doing it. Like StonedCL says, you can make $5000 in a week. What he didn't mention is that in no way, shape, or form should you count on making $5000 in a week as it is not the norm but a factor of a lot of things coming together for you at one time.

Everyday I think back to my simple life working on the state fish pier in Gloucester MA. I didn't make as much as I do now, but I knew what I would make every week. I used to have weekends off just like regular people, now I work every Saturday and in my neck of the woods we're open on Sundays but you only work every other one.

Being a car salesman is like being a junky. It sucks you in and makes it kinda hard to escape. If you come in on a Saturday and sell 3 cars, you walk out that night high as a kite. Go 4 days to a week without selling anything and you feel like shit. You have to keep that consistent line of deals going just like a junky has to consistently score his dope. You work so many hours that it's a little difficult to try to find another type of employment or go to school. Despite having hours that you are supposed to work, if your scheduled to leave at 6 and you start helping a customer at 5:30 you're not going home until at least 6:30 and if your fortunate enough to sell them a car, it's going to be later than that. If your customer can only make it in to pick up their car on your day off guess what you are doing on your day off.

On the other side, it's one of the only jobs you can make 100K a year with a GED that's legal and doesn't involve starting your own business any monetary investment. That aside, knowing what I know now, if I was you at 18, I'd find a way to stay in school and get a degree. It will allow you to make the same money or more but you won't be a slave to the car sales industry.

Old 02-22-2010 | 08:42 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the input i am in college and planning to move in about a year and a half. i do know someone at the toyota dealership that is why i considered the job i don't think that any other dealership would take me seriously. I thought that this job might be a good way to make some money before i move so that i would have an easier time and could focus more on school when i got there. i am still undecided.
Old 02-22-2010 | 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I got my first sales job at Infiniti when I was 19, but I worked in the parts department the year before. Unfortunately, I went in when gas was right around the 4.50 mark and our economy was entering the shitter so there were days when the only person in the showroom was a lurker waiting for his car in the service dept. The hours were brutal. After the first week, you get used to the 10-12 hour days but it is absolutely horrible going in. Unless you plan on pushing a shit load of cars per month, you probably won't make much. The sales mgr hiring you is probably promising 1,5-2,000 every two weeks which is a load of crap, especially in our current state. I didn't have any problems being young at Infiniti, I think most people figured I wasn't as corrupt as the older staff and I can get away with looking 23-25 as I most often get. I made my money there, it was an experience (neither good or bad) but I wouldn't consider doing it again. My best score was a cougar that came to test drive a G35

For what its worth, I made more money in parts, it was a guaranteed paycheck every two weeks, and the hours were a little easier. Plus you get weekends off...They usually pay 12-14 an hour.
Old 02-23-2010 | 08:10 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

*shudder* at being a car salesman....
Old 02-23-2010 | 08:47 AM
B A N N E D

The thing with selling cars is YOU make your own pay...
Like I said before at any other job you and the smuch next you can be making the same money adn you are doing 3X the work...
Yeah if you are lazy and have no drive to make money you will not make anything, there alot of guys here that are jealous of me yet they let a customer pass them 3 times without taking them.. Since I started here I prob average over $1000 a month (And it is the slowest time of the year) but i am top 3 guys here, I don't know how some of the guys support their family selling 4-5 cars a month...

There ARE NO jobs out there where you can make $100K like there used to be.. My sister graduated Fordum University and she is working as a financial adviser and I made more then her every year since I started except for last..
My fiancea is a bank branch manager after graduating Montclair and I make more then she does also.. So if you WANT to make money you will, If u have the drive to make money then you will , but if you like doing nuttin (like most the american people) and like things handed to you then you will not make money!
Old 02-23-2010 | 08:52 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by evilone
Thats funny the guy (stoned cl) who tried to say making 50-75k wasn't good money. I can bet within one year I will be make double to triple what you make and getting paid to travel the world. face it you a car salesmen. There is more employee turnaround in the industry than one could fathom.. You have no room to give advice on what someones career path should be.
SO you make 60K x 3 $180 K traveling the world?

So why don't you tell us where to go to find this job cuz I know alot of people that have Ivy leage Educations and are making 50K a year that would love to do what you do?..
Please inform us on what u do and where the OP can sign up?

And what do u mean "I can bet within one year I will be make double to triple what you make and getting paid to travel the world" you either do or you don't?

The thing is that I enjoy doing what I do, and if you enjoy doing what you do u will not work a day in your life.. It is not for everyone, most people are shy and not outgoing so they will not do well.. YES i do see alot of turn around but most americans are lazy and when they realize they have to earn there money and it is not handed to them they quit...

So please inform the OP what you do and let me know also cuz I know a few people with degree's that need a job, and are willing to travel..

Last edited by StonedCL; 02-23-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:01 AM
B A N N E D

Wait Evilone..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As some of you know I work in the home remodeling business. I specialize in tile work, but currently doing all other kinds of things . I.E drywall, plumbing, minor electrical, pavers, etc. Well where I live there is really no work for anyone in any industry. I think we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the state. SO unfortunately I'm going to have to make a career change. (I don't want to but, however times are tough. I had more work than I could handle all the way up to a few days before Thanksgiving. Since then I have really had very little work. On top of that my boss decided to cut my pay. He has screwed me over 6 ways to Sunday. For example I worked for 6 long days doing a bathroom remodel, and I only got paid $250.. Needles to say I was PISSED. I have only worked 2 days in the last 2 weeks, and I was told I will have no work this week. No one is hiring for anything in, or around my area. (places are going out of business left and right)
I'm looking at possibly trying to get a job on an offshore oil rig. I was wondering, if any of you guys have an knowledge of that industry. And if you do, what kind of classes (certs) will I need in order to get a entry level position there. I read online that most entry level jobs start between $50-$75k a yr. I don't really have anything holding me here. I need work bad, and as soon as possible. Thanks for any info/ light you can shed on the matter.

You where the guy that made $250 for 70 hours work and was thinking about moving onto a rig for $50-$75K a year..... so someone like you that had no clue what they where gonna do with there life and had no degree scored a job where u make $180K and get to see the world?
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:04 AM
B A N N E D

So evilone was asking for advice on a career path 2 weeks ago and has no clue what he is doing with his life has more room to give advice then someone that had a steady job the last 3 years in the car buisness and made almost $200K in the last 3 years doing what the OP asked about... I think I have more knowledge on the subject being I been doing it for 3-4 years... OP asked about car sales not what career to choose!
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:16 AM
B A N N E D

Oh I finished reading your thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/job-question-oil-rigs-759975/

So you went from starting at 50-75K to 3x that much..
And u consider seeing the world sitting on a 1/2 square mile rig in the middle of the ocean?

Ok if that FLOATS your boat then go for it... But I would not consider sitting on a rig 1000's of miles from shore drilling for oil "seeing the world"

And a oil driller makes an average of 23 a hour.. so there is 24 hours in a day and 365 days in a year.. 24X365 = 8,760 hours in a year..

so 23 dollars a hour time 8,760 hours in a year = $201,480..

So if you work 24 hours a day and 7 days a week then you would make what you said you are gonna make..
I doubt you will not eat / sleep or do anything except work for 365 days a year...

say 50 hours a week 2600 hours a year x 23/hour is $59,800 to eat / sleep / drink and see the world from a RIG.. NO THANK YOU!!
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:24 AM
Suzuka Master

StonedCl, Douching up another thread.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:45 AM
Administrator Alumnus

stoned, seriously. Can you keep on topic, for once?
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:15 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Scrib
stoned, seriously. Can you keep on topic, for once?
I tried to stay on topic, then other had to smear it up, so I put them in there PLACE with there B.S..
I offered most in this topic untill people started attacking me AGAIN!..LOL..
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:19 AM
Administrator Alumnus

I tried to stay on topic, then other had to smear it up, so I put them in there PLACE with there B.S..
Sorry, don't agree. Please continue to post on topic. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

You haven't put anyone in "there place". Nor have you offered "most in this topic". You have now been warned by both a moderator and an administrator. Decide carefully what you choose to do next.

Terry
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:44 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I hope he chooses "poorly".
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Stoned... you were warned by terafon, then Scrib twice (who is an Admin), then terafon again... drop it or you may be in for a much longer vacation...
Old 02-23-2010 | 11:39 AM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ I hope he chooses "poorly".

OP: I can see where you can make alot of money off the uneducated in car sales. I dont think AZ members are your average uneducated car buyer though.
Old 02-23-2010 | 12:16 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

As someone that sold cars in college back before the days of the internet I can tell you there are two types of dealerships (and therefore sales people).

1. Sell the car for the highest gross regardless of what it takes to do that. If you have to claim your car has "high speed bumper bolts" in order to sell the car, do it.

2. Sell lots of cars at lower margins because you'll more than make up the difference than if you held out for fewer, higher-grossing sales.

I worked for a dealer that was much more like #1 than #2 and after I figured out what it took to be successful there I quit. My best month was my first (sold 13 cars) and never came close after that.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:06 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Wow, some people's posts are rather hard to read due to spelling and grammatical errors that would make a teacher's red pen explode. Not sure how I've missed these gems previously, but I wish I could give back the ones I've just seen.

OP, I would think just seeing those posts would encourage you to stay focused on school full time and not worry about a job until summer. LOL. Seriously, I think you should find a more reliable line of employment than car salesman right now. I'm assuming the goal here is money, so taking something that pays a steady paycheck and is flexible with your classes is better than something with variable pay that requires a substantial time investment on your part.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mac424
Thanks for the input i am in college and planning to move in about a year and a half. i do know someone at the toyota dealership that is why i considered the job i don't think that any other dealership would take me seriously. I thought that this job might be a good way to make some money before i move so that i would have an easier time and could focus more on school when i got there. i am still undecided.
wait...

so you're in college right now but will be moving and transferring to another school in a year and a half?

if so, you're looking for some kind of a job to make money now so that you can focus on school after you move?

if i'm understanding you correctly, my advice is: if you NEED a source of income now, while enrolled in school and taking classes, i'd try and find something else that will give you a steady and consistent paycheck.

unless you NEED the money now, focus on school.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:28 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Originally Posted by Mac424
Make no mistake about it, car sales is a full-time gnarly grind with unpredictable hours and unpredictable results. There will be times where you'll have to stay long after your predicted go-home time just to lock up a slow moving deal. There will be other times where you're sitting there doing absolutely nothing....but you won't be able to use that time for studying because you have to be ready for your "ups".

IMO, its just not a "I'm gonna give it a try" type job. You have to go full force into it with a take no prisoners attitude to be successful. The best car guys work long hours 6 days a week. If you can't commit that kind of effort, I'd look for something different.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:49 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Make no mistake about it, car sales is a full-time gnarly grind with unpredictable hours and unpredictable results. There will be times where you'll have to stay long after your predicted go-home time just to lock up a slow moving deal. There will be other times where you're sitting there doing absolutely nothing....but you won't be able to use that time for studying because you have to be ready for your "ups".

IMO, its just not a "I'm gonna give it a try" type job. You have to go full force into it with a take no prisoners attitude to be successful. The best car guys work long hours 6 days a week. If you can't commit that kind of effort, I'd look for something different.
Seriously. Can't sell a car if you're not on the lot.

My guess is he's hoping that he can make a decent amount of money in a short time to hold him over the rest of the way through school and unfortunately, I don't think car sales is that kind of gig.
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:51 PM

me neither.
Old 02-23-2010 | 03:11 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Start at a small Japanese franchise, post your cars on Craig's List, and sign up on Grant Cardone's website. If you go to a dealership farm with 50 white shirts running around on a Saturday you probably won't make it. Also don't plan on getting home before 8-9PM most days and don't take a weekend off for your first 6 months. And be vigilant about monitoring the sold list so your fellow salesperson don't kink you and cheat you out of half a deal. There are other tips but those are the most PC ones.

Lastly, have a back-up plan and learn how to tie ballons off!
Old 02-23-2010 | 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TheMirror

Honestly... the OP is better off getting a job at the mall making $8/hr. Steady money, predictable hours, won't interfere with school.

Being a car salesman is a full-time job plus another 35-50%... except you don't get paid OT. No way I'd ever do it if I was in school...
Old 02-23-2010 | 04:09 PM

I was literally one sentence away from taking a job at a Subaru dealership as a salesman a while back. I got through with the multiple interviews, with the sales manager and the dealership group HR representative. They decided I'd be a best fit there, and I did research on it heavily before even applying. Ultimately though, I just couldn't do it.

I know someone who started off at a Mercedes-Benz dealership as a car washer almost a decade ago when he was around my age.... he is now a sales manager. Those who are saying its a full-time (and then some) grind are right.... you need to give it your all. I saw a lot of potential in the job, but I didn't think I had the time or complete dedication for it. It's all or nothing... all as in, just like my friend, you can buy your own house by yourself, and buy new cars for cash every couple of years or so. He's owned an SL55, then sold that and got a 911... I'm not sure what he's driving at the moment though. He made a lot of sacrifices, but he had a hell of a lot of motivation to prove himself and he's making a shitload of money right now.

But the flipside is if you get sick of it and give it up, chances are you've either foregone school and/or you have no formal experience in a professional career aside from car dealerships. You're left with a disadvantage if you want to pursue other careers.
Old 02-23-2010 | 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Not to go off-topic... but I've been noticing some of your replies lately and just wanted to comment that you've come a long way since you joined...

Quick Reply: Car Salesmen