Car guy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Car guy.

Or gal.

What makes one? What doesn't? What are the things that differentiate those that consider cars an integral part of their lives and those that mainly see them as transportation, perhaps only embracing a particular marque or model.

Perhaps I should elaborate as to why I ask. Today a couple friends stopped by to see what's being going on with the cars as of late. I have known both for many, many years, and consider both to be avid automotive enthusiasts. One drives a Porsche (one of several throughout the years), the other currently drives a Honda Civic (he has never owned a performance car of any sort). And both love cars equally. Doesn't matter what type, brand, or model ( oh sure each has a particular preference), they each find them equally entertaining and interesting. We stood around in the shop and talked cars and what currently interests us. Eventually the conversation turned to what I asked previously: What makes a true automotive enthusiast. Is it a general knowledge? An interest in automotive racing? Doing work on a car? Driving? A combination of everything? Or is it just a general appreciation of everything automotive.

Me? My love of cars originated very early. First when I heard the rumble of my Parent's 1968 Chevrolet Impala 427, and solidified further when walking into the garage of my father's friend as a small boy and seeing his son's 1957 MGA restoration project. It was red. It was beautiful. Since then I've been around cars on a regular basis and consider them part of my existence. I've been fortunate to own several interesting cars and even more fortunate to restore them. I've owned European exotic and Detroit muscle, and loved each and every one of them. I love taking my 6MT Accord to redline as much as I enjoy opening the dual quads on a 428 PI Ford. My idea of a good book is the production numbers and histories of front engined Ferraris. And I love putting them back together and preserving their history.

So, what makes you a car guy? It's a legitimate question. There is absolutely no shame in not being one either. I think we can all agree that there is nothing wrong with only considering a car as nothing more than an appliance. But for those who consider themselves a car enthusiast, what makes you that special person?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
I'm not a car guy. Never really have been. And I don't know what it is that makes some one a "car guy".

But I do know that my wife thinks it odd or unusual that I can identify make/model of nearly every car on the road at a glance.

I don't think it's unusual at all. I think most guys can do that (and better) and "car guys" can give you chapter and verse on many of them.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm sure much like other people here, my dad got me into cars. We didn't have much money growing up, but I remember that I had corvette wallpaper in my bedroom (my dad had 2 when he was in his 20's).

Also, we would buy those model kits and put together the scale model cars, still have a ton of them I saved from over the years.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by teranfon
What makes a true automotive enthusiast. Is it a general knowledge? An interest in automotive racing? Doing work on a car? Driving? A combination of everything? Or is it just a general appreciation of everything automotive.

This.

I have friends who all have interest in cars even if they cant recite performance stats on anything or know how to change oil.

Yet their eyes always light up after seeing cars that appeal to them. I consider them to be car guys since they show interest and respect their own cars. Doesnt matter what they drive either.

I consider myself a car guy, i cant go a day without reading something related to automotive. I get the shakes.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Most friends think I'm a car guy. I'm not sure. I enjoy driving, looking at and reading about cars. I enjoy nice looking and good running cars. At one time I thought I was a mechanic but proved myself wrong over and over. I'm to practical or cheap or poor to do most mods. I choose to not do repairs or usually even wash my own car.

Because I pay attention and enjoy above average involvement, I guess I am a car guy.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I'd like to consider my self as a car guy, or gear head as I like to refer it

To me cars are more than just appliances. My favorite thing is driving, its more of a hobby to me, and I hope my future entails the use of my car on track or autocross circuits. I also wanna try out rallycross and ice racing if thats ever possible around my climate. I'm always reading car magazines, and reviews online(autoblog.com) I'll even visit motoring sites online in class when I get bored of the subject. I know about most cars in the American market and try to keep up with the auto industry in general in the US.
Now being only 20 I have not experienced much. I still have yet to drive through my first official autocross or anything related to motorsports. I've been driving my tl for 3 years now, and I gotta say I love it, I'm gonna be sad when it comes to sell it or just scrap it.

My favorite thing about driving has to be cornering g's. I guess I havent sat in a powerful car to push me back in my seat when behind the wheel. But cornering g's easily surpasses that of acceleration g's and I love when my body is flying to the side and I'm taking a corner close to the cars limits.

There is another thing I want to learn in the near future, and that is working on cars. I've never really had the opportunity to learn to work on cars. And am still looking for that opportunity. I'm afraid to tackle the job by myself just because I dont want anything to go wrong. Maybe I should look for a class at a community college or something? I really dont know where to learn.
Ohh one more thing, my next needs to be a manual, auto is to boring for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
This.

I have friends who all have interest in cars even if they cant recite performance stats on anything or know how to change oil.

Yet their eyes always light up after seeing cars that appeal to them. I consider them to be car guys since they show interest and respect their own cars. Doesnt matter what they drive either.

I consider myself a car guy, i cant go a day without reading something related to automotive. I get the shakes.

I agree.

We three had an interesting conversation today, and this is what we came up with as well. The Porsche guy drives his car enthusiastically, but isn't interested in knowing how it works outside of knowing what benefits him. The Honda guy can tell you how anything automotive works, but isn't interested in ever owning anything other than basic transportation. I don't feel right unless my hands are oily and greasy. I think each of us are car guys, yet we choose to pursue our automotive interests in profoundly different ways.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I just base it upon enthusiasm for the subject. Whether it is competitive driving, tinkering, restoration or just a simple spin around the block, I consider them all valid.

I'm not into some genres of cars but I certainly appreciate the engineering behind them
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
My favorite part of my day is my commute into work and back home. No I don't hate my job, I just LOVE driving. If time wasn't a factor, I would never fly, I would absolutely drive anywhere at anytime. I loved every second of my drive across country when I moved from CT to AZ. I have vivid dreams about driving my old cars, I can make myself fall asleep by thinking about rowing through my 6mt and typically any memory from my late teen years involves a car of some sort. I work in the automotive industry and design products for cars. I obviously consider myself a car guy.

I think to be definted as a car guy, you have to feel an emotional connection or response towards cars, not just look at them as a pieces of metal and plastic that get you from point A to point B.

I love the description of your friends both being cars guys yet being so different. Not all car guys have been able to live out their dream of owning a true car guy's car, if that makes any sense.

I find it funny that I'm classified as a car guy by some simply because I service my wife's car and mine. Some people can't believe that I can fix and maintain my own car. When I tell my co-workers I worked on my brakes, they look at me like I have two heads.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90

To me cars are more than just appliances. My favorite thing is driving, its more of a hobby to me, and I hope my future entails the use of my car on track or autocross circuits. I also wanna try out rallycross and ice racing if thats ever possible around my climate. I'm always reading car magazines, and reviews online(autoblog.com) I'll even visit motoring sites online in class when I get bored of the subject. I know about most cars in the American market and try to keep up with the auto industry in general in the US.
Now being only 20 I have not experienced much. I still have yet to drive through my first official autocross or anything related to motorsports. I've been driving my tl for 3 years now, and I gotta say I love it, I'm gonna be sad when it comes to sell it or just scrap it.

My favorite thing about driving has to be cornering g's. I guess I havent sat in a powerful car to push me back in my seat when behind the wheel. But cornering g's easily surpasses that of acceleration g's and I love when my body is flying to the side and I'm taking a corner close to the cars limits.

There is another thing I want to learn in the near future, and that is working on cars. I've never really had the opportunity to learn to work on cars. And am still looking for that opportunity. I'm afraid to tackle the job by myself just because I dont want anything to go wrong. Maybe I should look for a class at a community college or something? I really dont know where to learn.
Ohh one more thing, my next needs to be a manual, auto is to boring for me.
This too.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I think everyone has their own niche when it comes to cars. I guess you can say ricers are car guys too, even though they like doing to cars most people here wouldnt imagine doing.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
I very much consider myself a car guy, but I feel like I am lacking in history in regards to certain genres/makes.

I also wish I was more handy with a wrench...I know my way around certain things, but nothing like guys who can tear down a motor, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I very much consider myself a car guy, but I feel like I am lacking in history in regards to certain genres/makes.

I also wish I was more handy with a wrench...I know my way around certain things, but nothing like guys who can tear down a motor, etc.

It's fascinating what you can learn David. My reading in regards to cars started in the mid-seventies when I became engrossed with the stories when two tribes, Ford and Ferrari, went to war. Later on I started reading as much as I could about all brands, and the stories become just as fascinating as the cars.

Last edited by teranfon; 01-26-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
The Third Ball

It's fascinating what you can learn David. My reading in regards to cars started in the mid-seventies when I became engrossed when two tribes, Ford and Ferrari, went to war. Later on I started reading as much as I could about all brands, and the stories become just as fascinating as the cars.

Well, as you know from our correspondence, I have been actively trying to expand my knowledge base. Little by little.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
My favorite part of my day is my commute into work and back home. No I don't hate my job, I just LOVE driving. If time wasn't a factor, I would never fly, I would absolutely drive anywhere at anytime. I loved every second of my drive across country when I moved from CT to AZ. I have vivid dreams about driving my old cars, I can make myself fall asleep by thinking about rowing through my 6mt and typically any memory from my late teen years involves a car of some sort. I work in the automotive industry and design products for cars. I obviously consider myself a car guy.

I think to be definted as a car guy, you have to feel an emotional connection or response towards cars, not just look at them as a pieces of metal and plastic that get you from point A to point B.

I love the description of your friends both being cars guys yet being so different. Not all car guys have been able to live out their dream of owning a true car guy's car, if that makes any sense.

I find it funny that I'm classified as a car guy by some simply because I service my wife's car and mine. Some people can't believe that I can fix and maintain my own car. When I tell my co-workers I worked on my brakes, they look at me like I have two heads.

I remember when we were at Scottsdale and I was impressed that you seemed to have an interest in all cars that you looked at. From the old Chevrolets to Buick GSs. From Subi powered Porsche 550s to Shelbys. I think a true car guy always has an appreciation of all cars. It doesn't mean you have to be enthusiastic about all of them, just an understanding and respect for anything automotive.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I consider myself a car guy. I can name make and model of most cars on the road. In some cases right down to the model year(s). I can do most maintenance on my car such as brakes, oil changes, tune-ups, etc. I like reading about old cars and I'm always interested in the latest models coming out. I also work at an auto parts store so being a car guy is kind of a prerequisite.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
The Porsche guy drives his car enthusiastically, but isn't interested in knowing how it works outside of knowing what benefits him. The Honda guy can tell you how anything automotive works, but isn't interested in ever owning anything other than basic transportation. I don't feel right unless my hands are oily and greasy. I think each of us are car guys, yet we choose to pursue our automotive interests in profoundly different ways.
You guys pretty much cover the extremes of being a "car person."
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I just base it upon enthusiasm for the subject. Whether it is competitive driving, tinkering, restoration or just a simple spin around the block, I consider them all valid.

I'm not into some genres of cars but I certainly appreciate the engineering behind them

I'm a car guy because I know a little about ponycars and have more general knowledge about recent cars than most, have autocrossed and performed some engine and intake work as well as maintenance of cars. I'm enthused by factory performance and sports cars, but do not have the finances or space for them.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,019 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90

To me cars are more than just appliances.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

My favorite part of my day is my commute into work and back home. No I don't hate my job, I just LOVE driving. If time wasn't a factor, I would never fly, I would absolutely drive anywhere at anytime.

Originally Posted by Gfaze
I consider myself a car guy. I can name make and model of most cars on the road. In some cases right down to the model year(s). I can do most maintenance on my car such as brakes, oil changes, tune-ups, etc. I like reading about old cars and I'm always interested in the latest models coming out. I also work at an auto parts store so being a car guy is kind of a prerequisite.

All of the above, I think, answers your question Terry. It's the combinations of the above, in all different degrees. The pure pleasure of the automobile in all states (except the Yugo. If your passion is there you should be shot), moving, stopped, taken apart, explained, etc... Everyone above nailed it.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
My favorite part about the car is the tools. I rarely go to car shows, could never bring myself to join either the local vw or ford f-100 club, and can't stand bmw enthusiasts. I would rather just lock myself in a garage (even if I only get some sweeping done).
The grandpa on my dad's side was fairly old and had slowed down quite a bit by the time I was interested in such things (he still managed to braze together a automatic oiler for the chain on my go-cart). He was a small engine mechanic for southern pacific, and this basically means he fixed engines on anything that wasn't the train. All support equipment from weed eaters to trucks.
Still I remember walking into his garage and seeing hundreds of bottles and old baking pans full of various fasteners (i'm sure my grandma loved that). I to play in the dirt in his garage because it was so fine and soft, but later I learned that was probably because he poured oil on it. Then there were the tools. Sure he had a socket set and some power tools, but my favorite tools till this day are the small ones he made to work on the 2cycle engines. When he died my dad gave me his tools and I have most of that packed away, but I found a few of them to be wonderfully useful. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/...158cc5bd_z.jpg - They are all standard as god intended.

I also received his little 2 drawer proto tool box with the removable top tray. It isn't anything you can't buy at sears for 50 bucks, but I love it anyway. It was covered in grease and dented so badly it wouldn't close, but I got straight and clean. I loaded it up with a selection of sockets, pliers, drivers, and wrenches just to bring with me on long trips, but Hardly a day goes by where I don't use it. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/...50f5592d_z.jpg
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
I think it's very hard to pin down one trait that makes somebody a car guy. Some say a person who appreciates all things automotive. I think that's the ideal car guy. However, as painful as it may be to say it, someone who might go around considering their car is superior to all others could also be considered a car guy. Someone who simply enjoys the thrill of G-forces without any intention of learning about how the car works could also be considered a car guy.

I have no idea what did it for me. My family doesn't exactly have a history of exciting cars. Every car that's been in our garage has been a FWD 4-banger family sedan. Maybe the fact that I got excited with such (relatively) boring cars made me get that much more enthused about other cars. I've loved cars all my life.

I think the ideal car guy at least tries to truly appreciate the sheer amount of man-hours
taken to develop even the most basic car. Sometimes I'll get in my car, and think "Someone designed, measured, engineered, and tested that door handle, and decided it should be X thick on one end and X thick on the other, that it should curve right about here, and the spring holding it should be X stiff, and it should pull out X much. When you consider the amount of time taken to develop that one door handle, it's pretty much impossible to consider the amount of time and energy gone into designing an engine, or transmission, or chassis, and all the electronics controlling all that stuff. It's simply mind-boggling.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I have been watching racing since i was about 5. I have always been around my uncle who was always working on the cars and i picked it up from there.
I watch any thing with motor racing on speed. I work on my own cars also.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
My first words were mom and dad. Among my next set of words were 'Honda' and 'Toyota'

My dad would always tell his friends how I could name cars when I was barely old enough to walk. He'd bring me out to the parking lot, then tell them to point out a car and I'd name it, which was impressive for my age, I guess. It was more of an ability to read and good vision more than anything

I would consider myself a car guy, even a motor vehicle enthusiast in general. I enjoy working on cars even if it means getting dirty, though I haven't really done anything like engine building yet. I did take an introductory course on engine building just for kicks to pique my interest though. If need be, I could entertain myself just by looking at cars passing by and contemplating design, purpose, performance, etc. My taste in cars is about as diverse as they come, I like to think.... I like em loud and fast, smooth and luxurious, old or new and everything in between. Sportbikes to Harleys to touring bikes and dirtbikes, trucks like the Jeep SRT8 and Ram SRT10 to the Raptor and Wranglers.

I think anyone who can carry on a conversation about cars regarding more complex matters aside from just styling and badge/prestige for more than a couple of minutes is a car person. It just shows that they have an interest and they know a little about what they're talking about. A general knowledge of mechanical workings helps but isn't necessary to be considered a 'car person'
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts

This really sums it up for me, the emotional connection and response is what makes me know that I'm a car guy, ever since I can remember my earliest childhood memories, I had pictures and posters of sports cars, and "super cars" hanging in my bedroom, and calendars and such. My dad worked in the auto industry and always took me to the car shows as well, which I always looked forward to. When I got into high school, I fullfilled my dream of owning a sports car when I bought a Firebird brand new off the lot. My buddy and I would always talk about what mods I could do to it, and made all kinds of plans. Sadly he's no longer living, and the TA is long gone, but I am building my CL as a tribute to him, and I frankly love not only the connection with the car, but I love putting my heart and soul into it. Even though I have physical health issues that limit what I can physically do when working on cars, I still get a thrill with any chance I get to get dirty. If a friend needs help with his car, I'll try and get them to assist me with something as well, to try and get more production and enjoyment out of the night. Not to mention, no matter how frustrating a project on the car gets, I still enjoy it in the end and like to see what I've done or produced, especially through adversity. Ever since I discovered car modifying, I'd much rather go to custom car shows (both older cars and newer year cars) than the regular auto show, just because i have a whole other appreciation for the work it takes to make something unique.

I agree with this as well, like most guys on here, I can identify just about any make and model and know something about the cars on the road, but I still don't know a ton about european cars. I also have been timid with certain jobs that I've wanted to do on cars, but I also have gotten over certain fears and just done things. I have never torn down a motor, but I've removed suspensions, brakes, rewired engines, and done numerous other things that I never thought I could do myself. Doing these things makes me more confident that I can do other things that I only have dreamed of thus far, just takes getting up the nerve to do them.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
my three year old niece really likes cars. She loves her aunts big silver truck and uncle R's yellow porsche. I got her a small yellow porsche for x-mas that was like my old one.

I will see to it that she appreciates cars.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
A true auto enthusiast can appreciate any noteworthy car or aspect therein. For example, as much as I hate the Prius, I can still respect that it is an engineering marvel in its own right...even though it has no soul or passion. And as much as I wish I was rich so I could buy all Smart cars and launch them into the Grand Canyon, I can still appreciate that something that small can be driven by man in everyday life. Even though it's a hideous deathbox.

I laugh at people who argue the whole domestics vs. imports thing and think they are car enthusiasts.

For me, few things stir the soul and scream passion as the automobile, and driving for that matter, both do.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I enjoy cursing at stuck bolts and using my brain to figure out how to solve certain problems under the hood.

its also very rewarding to take a car out and just drive. Those fortunate enough to have powerful cars know the thrill of punching the skinny pedal, carving up mountains, or people just plain gawking .
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
A real car guy can find something "cool" about any type of car whether it's granny's station wagon or Schumachers personal Ferrari.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm not sure what defines me personally as a car guy, but I'd consider one of my favorite hobbies preserving my car in as like-new condition as possible. I'd much rather spend money on detailing supplies to keep my car clean than on modifications to the car. I'd much rather spend money on performing all factory-recommended maintenance and more. My goal for my car is keeping it like-new. I use Zaino leather-in-a-bottle, which makes my car smell like new leather. I recently bought new self-tapping screws that hold my trunk liner in because some had broken and it bothered me to no end.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRyder
A true auto enthusiast can appreciate any noteworthy car or aspect therein. For example, as much as I hate the Prius, I can still respect that it is an engineering marvel in its own right...even though it has no soul or passion. And as much as I wish I was rich so I could buy all Smart cars and launch them into the Grand Canyon, I can still appreciate that something that small can be driven by man in everyday life. Even though it's a hideous deathbox.

I laugh at people who argue the whole domestics vs. imports thing and think they are car enthusiasts.

For me, few things stir the soul and scream passion as the automobile, and driving for that matter, both do.
I gotta disagree with you there. That shows that owners are proud of what they have, and if you're proud of your car, you're a car enthusiast. It's like cheering for a certain football team. Both are just very passionate about their team/car.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Aman
I gotta disagree with you there. That shows that owners are proud of what they have, and if you're proud of your car, you're a car enthusiast. It's like cheering for a certain football team. Both are just very passionate about their team/car.
Should ask Sarlacc on his position about that.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM

I know domestics, euros or imports respectively aren't for everyone, but it's quite annoying when someone just dismisses them. Doesn't matter what it is.... one buddy of mine dismisses Hondas in general. He can't tell the difference between a Civic and an Accord

I was talking about high performance sedans with another friend of mine and he said he loves the E60 M5 (which I'm not a fan of, but I can remain neutral) and when I said I like the CTS-V more, he said "but it's an M5"
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by justnspace
Should ask Sarlacc on his position about that.

I currently own two imports and one domestic...the domestic is my first one.

I like all cars. We all have our bias...or, as some mistake, trying to educate ignorance as their own bias blinds them.

But I can NOT stand the domestic forums when they start their "buy domestic" BS.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 PM

Also like several people have mentioned.... I love just going out for a drive. Sometimes if I'm bored and have been homebound all day I might just take my car out for a spin, driving with no destination in particular, preferably late at night with less traffic to get in the way.

Yeah, gas is almost $4/gallon and my car gets sub-20s MPG-wise. So what?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
An old family friend of mine who came to America in the early 80's and lived with us for a bit before moving back to Israel happened to stop by me today. I haven't seen him in a good 20 years. He got me attached to the late 70's/early 80's BMW 635's, as he had one sitting in my parents yard ('79 635csi) for a while until he eventually sold it. He was always into cars, always tinkering with them. He told me that he now has 4 garage/shops in Israel, and he does some car collecting. He picked up 3 cars here that he's working to ship to Israel, 2 early 70's Citroen SM's and a '78 Porsche 911SC Targa. Sweet.

He was talking to my mother earlier and when she told him I was in the car business, he took the effort to come and see me. He was by me for about an hour, and the entire conversation was about cars. Nothing else. 2 car guys having an appreciation.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM

I like all cars. We all have our bias...or, as some mistake, trying to educate ignorance as their own bias blinds them.

But I can NOT stand the domestic forums when they start their "buy domestic" BS.
on the ps3, but i meant youre last sentence.......
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

My dad had one of the first generations of Honda Civics back in the day. He was living just outside of Detroit...a few weeks after he got the car, it was vandalized. The vandals broke into the car, put it in neutral, and pushed it down the ramp of a parking garage whereupon landing, the Civic slammed into the concrete wall. Car was destroyed. I'll never forget that story.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
What makes a car guy? Tons of things for me,

It's to be able to recognize a car or engine displacement by simply the way it sounds from afar...

It's the feeling you get inside when you hear a sweet exhaust at WOT

When everyone comes to you for car advice,

When you contaminate everyone around you to eventually like cars

To form an opinion about almost any car on the street

To spend hours on end talking about cars with your buddies at the drag strip or tracks

etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Yeah I agree. But there's a difference between being proud and being arrogant. I'm talking more about people who think their car/marque is superior and cannot acknowledge there are positives to the other side. That's just ignorance, not true car appreciation.

Originally Posted by cjTL
My dad had one of the first generations of Honda Civics back in the day. He was living just outside of Detroit...a few weeks after he got the car, it was vandalized. The vandals broke into the car, put it in neutral, and pushed it down the ramp of a parking garage whereupon landing, the Civic slammed into the concrete wall. Car was destroyed. I'll never forget that story.
Good Lord, that is an awful story.

Last edited by RedRyder; 01-26-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Shoofin
An old family friend of mine who came to America in the early 80's and lived with us for a bit before moving back to Israel happened to stop by me today. I haven't seen him in a good 20 years. He got me attached to the late 70's/early 80's BMW 635's, as he had one sitting in my parents yard ('79 635csi) for a while until he eventually sold it. He was always into cars, always tinkering with them. He told me that he now has 4 garage/shops in Israel, and he does some car collecting. He picked up 3 cars here that he's working to ship to Israel, 2 early 70's Citroen SM's and a '78 Porsche 911SC Targa. Sweet.

He was talking to my mother earlier and when she told him I was in the car business, he took the effort to come and see me. He was by me for about an hour, and the entire conversation was about cars. Nothing else. 2 car guys having an appreciation.

Now that's a cool story. Twenty years after not seeing one another, and then spending an entire visit talking cars. Definitely two car guys. Citroen SM? I love those things. French technology and quirkiness with the soul of an exotic Italian. I once dated a woman of the same background.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by RedRyder
Yeah I agree. But there's a difference between being proud and being arrogant. I'm talking more about people who think their car/marque is superior and cannot acknowledge there are positives to the other side. That's just ignorance, not true car appreciation.

I agree. My primary automotive interests have always been Ford and Ferrari, but I appreciate other marques as well. I've studied the histories and technical information of other brands and have always found it interesting.

Quick Reply: Car guy.