Can you guys help me troubleshoot a vibration issue on my '07 G35x?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you guys help me troubleshoot a vibration issue on my '07 G35x?

So i have a vibration in the wheel and seats in my 07 G35 x. (This post may be long..so bear with me)

Was there a little when i bought the car..but noticed the tires were very very choppy. So i got new tires. It was fine for about 2 days..then all of a sudden it was bad again.

Now this vibration isn't always vibrating. It comes and goes. 10 second vibration..slowly goes away..then fine for 10 seconds..then i can feel it come back through seat to wheel again..over and over. Happens at about 65+ mph.

Then about 8 months ago my engine blew. Thought that was it..but nope. So i bough new wheels and new tires (again)..made it worse. Ended up selling those.

Also had about 6 tire balances within 3 months.

Here we are today..still does it. Some days are better than others. I had 4 mechanics look at it and all said my car is fine. Infiniti said it's the tires..yet i have tried 3 different sets..but they still blame the tires (they are morons BTW)

Also i throw the car in N when it's doing it on the highway and it still does it so i don't think it's trans. It's a mess. Some days are not bad..some horrible. But always comes and goes..10 seconds on..10 off...

Anyone have any guesses? lol
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you Road-force balanced the tires?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Its your wheel bearings up front, known issues. On some G35's they prematurely fail.

You should check out g35driver.com for more info and do a search on wheel bearing, tons of info.

Hopefully you still have some warranty left of got the extended elite care coverage, otherwise you will have to pay out of pocket

Come join us over there!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
I shave my change purse

Some more info: http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...ing-issue.html

I'm not saying it's 100% your bearings, could be something else, but I'd bet a six pack it probably is
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Its your wheel bearings up front, known issues. On some G35's they prematurely fail.

You should check out g35driver.com for more info and do a search on wheel bearing, tons of info.

Hopefully you still have some warranty left of got the extended elite care coverage, otherwise you will have to pay out of pocket

Come join us over there!
see i always thought it was bearings..but wouldn't 10K miles on the bearings make it worse and worse? Because i have no noise at all. Quiet and when a bearing goes..it's normally a lot of noise. i am out of warranty as it has 75K on it

I am a member on G35driver..i actually have a thread like this with about 10 pages

This is my very long thread: http://g35driver.com/forums/v36-brak...d-highway.html

Last edited by Patsfreak1281; 03-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Though it's hard to diagnose it, any loose suspension components can cause vibrations at speed. My RL went through a similar stage...where constant vibrations at certain speeds would occur. I went through 2 sets of tires, balanced them so many times the shop began to hate me (I bought lifetime tire balance), 2 sets of wheels....did a ton of alignments (also had lifetime alignment) yet vibration was still there! Finally, I noticed that the front lower ball joints were leaking so I changed them along with inner, outer tie rods, sway bar end links, upper control arm ball joints and bolts, front sway bar bushings, top front strut mounts, drain and fill tranny fluid and differential fluid, re-balanced the tires and did another alignment and viola.....no more vibrations!

So I really don't know exactly what I changed that stop the vibration but doing all that resolved it. Could be worth a shot on your part!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by silver3.5
Though it's hard to diagnose it, any loose suspension components can cause vibrations at speed. My RL went through a similar stage...where constant vibrations at certain speeds would occur. I went through 2 sets of tires, balanced them so many times the shop began to hate me (I bought lifetime tire balance), 2 sets of wheels....did a ton of alignments (also had lifetime alignment) yet vibration was still there! Finally, I noticed that the front lower ball joints were leaking so I changed them along with inner, outer tie rods, sway bar end links, upper control arm ball joints and bolts, front sway bar bushings, top front strut mounts, drain and fill tranny fluid and differential fluid, re-balanced the tires and did another alignment and viola.....no more vibrations!

So I really don't know exactly what I changed that stop the vibration but doing all that resolved it. Could be worth a shot on your part!
If i could afford to change all of these parts..i would

Also..at about 95-100 MPH..it goes pretty smooth again...so it's really from 70-85 ish. Downhill it seems worse..anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
I would say that it could be bearings, perhaps even the differential..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shoofin
I would say that it could be bearings, perhaps even the differential..

I think it COULD be the bearings..but everyone tells me they are fine

Who knows..could be diff...i changed the fluid 8K miles ago and no change
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
B A N N E D

read the stuff some more info please.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ What additional info are you looking for?

edit - No need for the bait... Ron already laid down the hammer...

Last edited by juniorbean; 03-14-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced

So i have been actively looking for a car with many dealer trips to find nothing...frustrating when you have been looking for 3 months and not found a thing you can decided on...sucks being picky..guess i will take a break for a month or so

I want to dump this car for this vibration along. main reason
Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
i would love to look at this car in person. i probably wont give up until i find out where its coming from. lol.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Just curious... did you check the rating load of the tires to see if they’re right for your car? I know that some tires will form a flat spot while the car is parked and once you start driving the car will vibrate until the tires re-shape.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Also, before my TSX I had a Nissan Frontier rear wheel drive and I had to replace the drive shaft bearing because it was vibrating at certain speed just like you’re describing above. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Lift the car and with your hand try to move the drive shaft from side to side, if it gives replace the bearing as that should’ve a tight fit. <o:p></o:p>
Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by YZ450
Just curious... did you check the rating load of the tires to see if they’re right for your car? I know that some tires will form a flat spot while the car is parked and once you start driving the car will vibrate until the tires re-shape.
load rating is different. When it's cold and i drive the next morning the car will shake and vibrate BAD( like driving with square tires) until the tires get round again. Only takes about 2 miles for these tires to regain their shape yet will still vibrate on and off forever..never stops. BTW i have tried 3 different sets of tires.

Lift the car and with your hand try to move the drive shaft from side to side, if it gives replace the bearing as that should’ve a tight fit.
Drive shaft was checked by 3 different mechanics..said it was fine. As they told me nothing at all is wrong with my car..which isn't the case
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Does the car feels like you're crossing rubber strips on the road? And, does it when the RPMs are steady and you slightly give more gas? Does it feel like the transmission cannot find the right gear to be for a few seconds? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Does the car feels like you're crossing rubber strips on the road? And, does it when the RPMs are steady and you slightly give more gas? Does it feel like the transmission cannot find the right gear to be for a few seconds? <!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>

Doesn't matter what RPMs are..more dependent on speed. if i slip it into N it still does it. So i kinda ruled out trans.

Found something the other day. My lower control arm bushings have cracks in them. Both sides. Now i don't know if it has always been like this. I don't think it has and is leading me to believe that the constant vibration over a year has worn the bushings out since all mechanics 6 months ago said bushings were fine. What's your take? Will a constant vib ruin control arm bushings? Or have i had cracked bushings for almost 1 1/2 years now with 4 mechanics overlooking it?

It seems like diff tires and wheels still cause it to do it..so something has to be wrong..just have no clue what.nor does any mechanic know
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I shave my change purse

Don't think you mentioned if you have taken it to the Infiniti Dealer yet or not, if not I think it may be time. Let them diagnose it and fix it elsewhere for cheaper. It will be a bit pricey but at least you will finally be able to resolve.

Still think its the bearings
Old 04-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Don't think you mentioned if you have taken it to the Infiniti Dealer yet or not, if not I think it may be time. Let them diagnose it and fix it elsewhere for cheaper. It will be a bit pricey but at least you will finally be able to resolve.

Still think its the bearings
Yes i have. Dealer found nothing..said they felt the vibration but had no answer for me other than this. This service manager said becasue my tires are not the stock tires shit RSA..it may vibrate..what type of BS is that? I have 3 complaints into this dealer from this issue and when my engine blew up. This service manager told infinit corporate that they will not look at my car anymore becasue they put too much $$ into my car becasue they can't make a proper engine..this company sucks
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Obviously it seems like you've covered the basics like balancing and alignment. I for one can attest to the lack of skill that most mechanics have when balancing a tire. But being that you said you've had it done 6 times I'd have to assume its right.

As for suspension parts, those problems would get compounded with speed like you're saying once you hit 65mph. But the difference is, like with unbalanced tires, they find a sweet spot faster you go. But with suspension parts, it shouldn't feel better at 90 like you're saying.

Its odd you're not hearing any sounds because I'd say whoever mentioned wheel bearings and differential may be onto something.

Sorry man, all the issues have been covered.

If its rear tires, you usually feel it in the seat more, if it's the front tires, you feel it in the steering wheel, if its drivetrain vibration you feel it in the pedal.

Good luck borat.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pits200
Obviously it seems like you've covered the basics like balancing and alignment. I for one can attest to the lack of skill that most mechanics have when balancing a tire. But being that you said you've had it done 6 times I'd have to assume its right.

As for suspension parts, those problems would get compounded with speed like you're saying once you hit 65mph. But the difference is, like with unbalanced tires, they find a sweet spot faster you go. But with suspension parts, it shouldn't feel better at 90 like you're saying.

Its odd you're not hearing any sounds because I'd say whoever mentioned wheel bearings and differential may be onto something.

Sorry man, all the issues have been covered.

If its rear tires, you usually feel it in the seat more, if it's the front tires, you feel it in the steering wheel, if its drivetrain vibration you feel it in the pedal.

Good luck borat.
You feel it in seat and wheel...no pedals. Trans i ruled out. But i may get my drive shaft balanced and replace easy parts like tierod ends and ball joints to see if it's better or worse...sucks so much becasue i love the car...but hate driving it over 65...ugh going on 1 1/2 years with this issue NOT fixed..
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Just sucks becasue it's only a high speed vibration..which usually means wheels..but it's not. Oh and something else i should add...when it's vibrating and say there is a bend in the highway and you turn left or right..it goes away with turning the wheel almost 75% better and then when you put wheel back strait..it vibrates again. I know the suspension is slack when it's strait and tightens up when turning..so not sure what that means
Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 PM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Check your front Stabilizer bar bushings and end links. They could have play and only be noticeable at hi speed when the car is at cruising speed.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Check your front Stabilizer bar bushings and end links. They could have play and only be noticeable at hi speed when the car is at cruising speed.
Those bushings look solid. No play when i try and move them
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced

So i rotated the tires this past weekend and now the vibrations are worse. I never rotated the tires becasue the ones up front balanced the best and were the smoothest..but now they are pretty choppy..heel to toe wear..so i moved them to back and the vibs are worse..as expected..but they still go away when i turn the wheel left or right on highway..so fucking strange...want to keep it..but driving me insane every time i am on highway
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I shave my change purse

Bent/damaged rims
Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Bent/damaged rims

I had aftermarket wheels 8 months ago..bought the wheels to try and fix issues..only made it worse..so it's not wheel. Tonight the seat vibration was HORRIBLE. Vibs are much worse now that i rotated tires. You would think it if were an issue with the car..it would stay the same regardless of what tires are where.

Tonight really made me dread driving my car. I now avoid driving on highway which is tough when possible since i can't go above 65 without being shaken the entire time. I was looking at new cars..but dealerships are pure evil and i needed a break..but now..i may start looking again after how bad it was tonight. it's so werid. Some days are better..some are horrible..like tonight..and tomorrow..it may be better

Thinking about putting the tires back where they were before..but such uneven wear becasue i haven't rotated them in like 8K miles due to having less vibs when certain tires are up front

Last edited by Patsfreak1281; 04-12-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
my vote is damaged wheels. If the problem goes when your turning that means that the problem is being masked by the extra stress exerted on your suspension. Thus the problem has to be with a part flexing when it shouldn't (IE loose lug nuts or improper lug nuts) or a part such as a ball joint or bushing that is failing.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by csmeance
my vote is damaged wheels. If the problem goes when your turning that means that the problem is being masked by the extra stress exerted on your suspension. Thus the problem has to be with a part flexing when it shouldn't (IE loose lug nuts or improper lug nuts) or a part such as a ball joint or bushing that is failing.

It's not the wheels