C&D Letter = No More CafePress Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Darth Chocolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&D Letter = No More CafePress Stuff

Hi all. Long time no see. I just thought some people here may find this interesting. I've had old-style acura-cl.com stuff for sale on a CafePress site for a few years now. Originally, I set the store up to make a shirt and license plate frame for myself, but a couple of other people bought the plate frames as well. I was planning on donating the money to soopa here, but I think I made $2.00, so I never got a check from CafePress.

Anywho, today I received a Cease and Desist (not Car and Driver, I know you were thinkin' it) from CafePress for the stuff, since acura-cl.com has the word "Acura" in it. Here's the letter:

Dear Shopkeeper,

Thank you for using CafePress.com!

In accordance with our Intellectual Property Rights Policy, Bruce Garfield, on behalf of the American Honda Motor Company, provided us with a notice stating that your use of HONDA and ACURA, including any uses of their logos and vehicles, infringes upon their intellectual property rights (copyright/trademark/trade dress). Please click here for more information about intellectual property.

Accordingly, we have set the content that is alleged to infringe the rights of the third party to “pending status” which disables said content from being displayed in your shop or purchased by the public. You may review the content set to pending status by logging into your CafePress.com account and clicking on the “Media Basket” link. The content set to pending status will be highlighted red.

If you believe that you hold the rights to the content alleged to infringe the rights of the third party, we encourage you to contact the alleged rights holder directly for a resolution to this matter. Below please find the contact information for the party alleging infringement.

Bruce Garfield
Intellectual Property Administrator
American Honda Motor Company, Inc.
(310) 783-3945
bruce_garfield@ahm.honda.com

We apologize for any inconvenience that our actions may cause you. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Lindsay Estes
Content Usage Associate
(650) 655-3047 (O)
(650) 240-0260 (F)

.................................................. .................................................. ........
Let your individuality shine.
Make, buy or sell what’s on your mind.
Over millions of unique gifts with more fresh daily.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this email is provided solely for informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. CafePress.com is not a law firm and is not a substitute for an attorney. If you require legal advice, please consult an attorney who is authorized to practice law in your jurisdiction.

So, no more license plate frames... Like four years later. Hope you got one while you could.

BTW, I'm still driving my black '01 Type S. Just hit 30,000. 1st tranny, too.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:15 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
ya the VW guys got hit with this over on another forum and they are jsut using the silhouette of a jetta...