Buying used car, need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying used car, need some help!

Hey guys,

I'm buying a used car, and I wanna know some tips on how to tell if a car is in good condition, for example, tranny, engine...etc. suggestions please guys!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all run the VIN on carfax, make sure its never been in a reported accident and that it has a clear title. I don't know how astute you are to cars, but park the vehicle in the sun and look down the body, see how straight the lines are, if its wavy its been repaired. Make sure body panels have even gaps from one side to another, around headlamps, taillamps. Obivious misalignment, waves, obvious non-original orange peel are things I would stray away from. Look over the interior thouroghly, look for cigarette burn holes, or the aroma of smoke(as if a smoker previously owned the car. Open every cubby hole, storage area, buckle every seat belt, open the trunk look at the spare, just make sure EVERYTHING is in place and in working order, pay extra close attention to area's that seem like something has been repaired.

The engine is hard to tell if its OK or not, look at the ignition wires, some are dated, if so check how old they are, and that they match. Open the oil cap and look at the inside of it, is it nasty with a white foamy residue? if so you may want to think twice about purchasing it. Black is not a bad deal, but any residue other then oil is not good. Pull the engine oil dipstick and make sure that its full, check the condition of the oil and look at the condition of the dip stick itself. Do the same with the tranny(assuming its an automatic), most automatics need to be checked while running in park or nuetral. Look under the car for any leaks, determine there orgin and if its a minor seap or a bad leak. Check the tires, pay attention that the right size is on the vehicle(the placard on the drivers door panel will have the proper size listed on it, if your uncertain) do the tires match? I would seriously think twice about buying a car that has more then two different types of tires on it, its an indication of how the vehicle was maintained. Look for obvious damage under the vehicle, wiggle all four wheels while the vehicle is jacked up paying close attention to wheel bearing and front end type play. Look at the shocks and struts, see if they are leaking, damaged, original or if they've been replaced. The list could go on and on..... If this isn't sinking in your best bet is to hire a proffessional to do a pre-purchase inspection, its becoming more and more popular these days.

We've been doing them for quite a few years at my shop and its very seldom we see a vehicle that is in fine shape. For the modest fee most places charge its well worth the investment. A vehicle is typically the second most expensive single item purchase a person makes and if your looking at used cars chances you can afford to repair a lemon are very slim. Also be wary of anyone who doesn't want you to have the car looked at, if they have nothing to hide they have nothing to worry about. Find a shop you know, not the seller, I've seen on more then a few occassions the seller will bribe a shop for a good report, that's unacceptable make sure YOU pick the place and don't give them the name prior to you guys going there. Also since you are paying for this service, there is no need to feel obligated to tell the seller what you find, its your information to do with as you see fit. Based on what you find you can either walk away or are better equipped to negotiate a fair deal for you.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Also, try out Edmunds.com for some other good general guidelines...g'luck!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great!! thanks for all the tips I'll remember them when i go check out the car.
tahnks again!