AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Car Talk (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy? That is the question. (MINI Cooper S) (https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/buy-not-buy-question-mini-cooper-s-388109/)

v6cord2k5 04-02-2008 12:55 AM

To buy or not to buy? That is the question. (MINI Cooper S)

Here is the car: Link to Car Info

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...6/DSCN2498.jpg

Okay so yes the car has a Salvage/Rebuilt title. The owner claims "hood, headlights, front crash bar and lower control arm with knuckles were replaced, drives straight as an arrow no frame damage." The VIN is WMWRE33463TD69201 btw.

I'm really serious about this, in a couple of weeks I'm going to try and arrange for a local member to check the car out if its still for sale.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it? what should I look for? any advice is appreciated.

Since high school one of my dream cars was a JCW MCS, but those are pricey. This is probably the next best thing (minus the salvage/rebuilt title). I want to get into autocrossing and stuff. My girlfriend just got an '06 MINI too so this is further pushing me to satisfy my beast (del taco, I am here to feed your beast, lol).

Well here is some background, I'm currently paying off an 05 V6 Accord Sedan (incase the username doesnt tell you enough), and well I'm coming around to the last few payments and I'm looking to get into something a little more fun and appealing to ME. We bought the Accord new, my parents made a few payments but then I picked up the payments and have payed most of it since. I'll most likely give the Accord to my mom, have them sell the Suburban and have them help me out with the MINI (maybe take out equity or something, I dunno)

Costco 04-02-2008 01:09 AM

My sister-in-law has a JCW Cooper S and that thing is one of the funnest FWD hatches I've ever driven. I would look at it anyways and test drive it just to use as a benchmark/comparison for future cars and test drives. I wouldn't trust a salvage title car, plus that thing is modded to hell, not sure about the reliability of the Cooper S's engine but a cammed, Endyne'd Cooper S is something I would avoid. He probably autox'ed or tracked it very often.

If you really want to ignore common sense then check all the bumper supports where it connects to the frame, underneath the car, subframes, etc. for any welding, overspray or other obvious signs of repair.

v6cord2k5 04-02-2008 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I wouldn't trust a salvage title car, plus that thing is modded to hell, not sure about the reliability of the Cooper S's engine but a cammed, Endyne'd Cooper S is something I would avoid. He probably autox'ed or tracked it very often. If you really want to ignore common sense then check all the bumper supports where it connects to the frame, underneath the car, subframes, etc. for any welding, overspray or other obvious signs of repair.

Yeah, the guy claims he never autocrossed it, but he also claims he has two other NHRA Sport FWD cars (800hp civic, and an Evo), so what would hold a guy back from autocrossing such a modded car? haha

The MINI is fairly reliable. Regardless, if I buy a stock MCS I plan on similarly modding it and beating it up on the track anyways... its gonna be a fun DD/track car. What scares me the most is suspension damage and mechanical problems.

The car has been fully repainted so overspray is probably inevitable. the subframe will definitely be inspected, treadwear, check vins on various locations, rust, etc.

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

keg1997 04-02-2008 06:56 AM

I was just perusing the Mini website last night looking at a new S convertible. I getting my annual case of spring fever I want a convertible disease! An added benefit of these babies is the great gas mileage.

As for this one, I'd get it checked over by a mechanic/body shop before I got too serious about it since I'm real hesistant about spending that much on a salvage titled car.

SakiGT 04-02-2008 07:11 AM

1. Buying an already heavily modified car. Do you have the knowledge and cash to fix anything that breaks?

2. Screwed up title. Are you going to finance it? Most banks simply wont.

3. Insurance on a screwed up title. Have you tried to get it? Most wont.

4. Guy has 31 posts, all in the "For sale section." Doesnt sound like he built the car himself, Id certainly have questions/advice in that forum. :shrug:

Id get a stock used one with a clean title. :nod:

Zippee 04-02-2008 08:52 AM

Did you notice the tow hook on the back and the full cage? I'd bet a bottle of good booze that car has been tracked or raced....might even be where it got bent.

Crazy Bimmer 04-02-2008 08:59 AM

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=salvaged

I wouldnt do it based on resale and safety.

is300eater 04-02-2008 09:07 AM

:yes: on the Mini
but :no: on this one... Stay away from salvage cars, there's a reason why they are cheap.

With that said... I, actually, really like Mini Coopers... great on the MPG, and last I checked... remains on the top for resale value (none-salvage ones that is), or at least one of the top spots.

MarbleGT 04-02-2008 09:11 AM

sorry off topic.....have any of you read up on the stats of the new Alta ECU tuner for the 2nd gen mini.

50+hp!!!!

I bet thats fun!

MarbleGT 04-02-2008 09:14 AM

Also...I realize he has an upgraded SC, but just on NAM alone, look at all the people who have had to replace a SC because of using that 19% pully. It forces way to many RPM's through it with any excessive driving. (High RPMS or Tracking)

neuronbob 04-02-2008 10:29 AM

Minis are fun little cars. But young padawan, much good advice is given above, especially in Saki's post. :thumbsup: Don't do this one.

GreenMonster 04-02-2008 10:29 AM

Pass.

Rebuilt titles = teh suck

charliemike 04-02-2008 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zippee
Did you notice the tow hook on the back and the full cage? I'd bet a bottle of good booze that car has been tracked or raced....might even be where it got bent.

ROFL, that guy's a liar :)

Moog-Type-S 04-02-2008 11:14 AM

Great car!

....but it's the wrong car. Lots of mods + salvage = NO BUY.

Find yourself a nice clean Cooper S w/ no mods (unless they are JCW)....you will be much happier.

DarkSithCL 04-02-2008 11:26 AM

The whole point is to get a car that will wreck well on the track or the street...thats its job when things go sour and its done that once already... you may not get a second chance with this one... grab a new or used one (unwrecked) and mod it for the track yourself... having fun in a car is great unless your life is at risk... :2cents:

TS_eXpeed 04-02-2008 11:58 AM

BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!! :wish: :wish: :wish: :wish: :wish:

MarbleGT 04-02-2008 12:12 PM

Ive never found any fun in buying an already modded car. The point to modding a car is to make it your own, with your own special recipe of different manufacturers and tuning capibilities.

LuvMyTSX 04-02-2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by SakiGT
1. Buying an already heavily modified car. Do you have the knowledge and cash to fix anything that breaks?

4. Guy has 31 posts, all in the "For sale section." Doesnt sound like he built the car himself, Id certainly have questions/advice in that forum. :shrug:

:werd: If you want a Mini, get one in better shape. This one sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

GreenMonster 04-02-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by surf4fun0418

You didn't even read any of the thread did you ?? Just looked at the pic in the first post, right ??

:shakehead

SakiGT pretty much covered all the issues...

odessa 04-02-2008 01:28 PM

Stay away from this car. Salvage is just a headache in the making.

is300eater 04-02-2008 02:21 PM

I say buying a salvaged car would be like comparing to marrying a girl who's got some major "past" (bipolar, attempted suicide, molested by uncle etc. etc.) She could be fine now... but chances are? NOT

Turboara 04-02-2008 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by is300eater
but :no: on this one... Stay away from salvage cars, there's a reason why they are cheap.

what he said

phil2 04-02-2008 02:41 PM

Pass on the salvage!

shrykhar 04-02-2008 05:46 PM

Fifth Gear test on a rebuilt car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI

v6cord2k5 04-02-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by keg1997
I was just perusing the Mini website last night looking at a new S convertible. I getting my annual case of spring fever I want a convertible disease! An added benefit of these babies is the great gas mileage.

As for this one, I'd get it checked over by a mechanic/body shop before I got too serious about it since I'm real hesistant about spending that much on a salvage titled car.

Yeah, my girlfriend has an 06 'vert S w/ navi and a bunch of goodies... sweet car, Im so jealous.

I think the only way I'll buy is if the subrame shows no signs of work other than that control arm and knuckle.

I'd consider myself pretty knowledgeable, I can do oil changes, brake pad changes and I've helped do installs on muscle cars. Its a learning process with a different car though.

Negative, I'm buying it straight up if I do.

This I havent thought about. :wish: haha

Yeah that is definitely the biggest warning, he also seems inept at explaining the modifications done to the car. I asked him about the cylinder head work and well... :whyme:

I'm starting to think this is the safer road to take, but I'm a risk taker!

Originally Posted by Zippee

yeah, many users have these hooks... the BBK is also a big flag for a tracked car... and he says he has track pads that are used... I wonder where they were used? haha

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=salvaged

I wouldnt do it based on resale and safety.

:what: That really got me thinking! Thanks.

With that said... I, actually, really like Mini Coopers... great on the MPG, and last I checked... remains on the top for resale value (none-salvage ones that is), or at least one of the top spots.

Damn, but it looks so good and has all the right sh!t :run:

Yeah MINI's have an impressive resale value, last I checked it was at the top.

Originally Posted by o2cls
sorry off topic.....have any of you read up on the stats of the new Alta ECU tuner for the 2nd gen mini.

50+hp!!!!

I bet thats fun!

I have, and soon another company will join the competition. Some local guy Jan at RMW currently works on the R53 with crazy results. Not to take away from Alta though.

Also...I realize he has an upgraded SC, but just on NAM alone, look at all the people who have had to replace a SC because of using that 19% pully. It forces way to many RPM's through it with any excessive driving. (High RPMS or Tracking)

I havent read about these problems with the pulley... I'll check into it.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Minis are fun little cars. But young padawan, much good advice is given above, especially in Saki's post. :thumbsup: Don't do this one.

You guys are really starting to convince me not to take this a step further... haha.

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Pass.

Rebuilt titles = teh suck

:yuck:

Originally Posted by charliemike
ROFL, that guy's a liar :)

chances are you are correct sir.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Great car!

....but it's the wrong car. Lots of mods + salvage = NO BUY.

Find yourself a nice clean Cooper S w/ no mods (unless they are JCW)....you will be much happier.

I'll by happy with a MCS period. :D

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
The whole point is to get a car that will wreck well on the track or the street...thats its job when things go sour and its done that once already... you may not get a second chance with this one... grab a new or used one (unwrecked) and mod it for the track yourself... having fun in a car is great unless your life is at risk... :2cents:

Good advice. Thanks.

Originally Posted by surf4fun0418

Are you the devils advocate?

Ive never found any fun in buying an already modded car. The point to modding a car is to make it your own, with your own special recipe of different manufacturers and tuning capibilities.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. The thing is that the car I plan on getting is definitely gonna be a 6speed Dark Silver Cooper S with most of what this car has, and this one has all the right extras! The only things that I'd do different are the things under the hood... I'd go with RMW stuff all the way.

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
:werd: If you want a Mini, get one in better shape. This one sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

the disaster happened already, dejavu? haha

Originally Posted by odessa
Stay away from this car. Salvage is just a headache in the making.

:ugh:

I say buying a salvaged car would be like comparing to marrying a girl who's got some major "past" (bipolar, attempted suicide, molested by uncle etc. etc.) She could be fine now... but chances are? NOT

Molested by uncle... lol. This one has been adopted 5 times according to Carfax.

Originally Posted by LotusTracker
Pass on the salvage!

I see that is the general consensus here... thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by shrykhar
Fifth Gear test on a rebuilt car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWEdlUT17PI

see post #7 :thumbsup: thanks though.

GreenMonster 04-02-2008 06:16 PM

:rofl: holy shit, I can't believe you replied to all those :thumbsup:

mystikk 04-02-2008 07:09 PM

:rofl: I know you want me to test drive it and damn it looks sick, but as said .. I don't know about owning it. If you decide you want it, PM me and I'll toss it a test drive. BTW I'm 6', 265lbs, don't know if I'm gonna fit in that thing. :tomato:

Simba91102 04-02-2008 07:19 PM

Pay attention to number 2 and 3. Unlikely you would find financing if you're not planning on paying cash, and insurance WILL be a real problem. Most won't cover it, and the rest I'm sure would have major strings attached.

v6cord2k5 04-02-2008 08:32 PM

:rofl: holy shit, I can't believe you replied to all those :thumbsup:

me either, I was really bored. It sucks that we dont have the multi-quote function here :annoyed:

Originally Posted by mystikk
:rofl: I know you want me to test drive it and damn it looks sick, but as said .. I don't know about owning it. If you decide you want it, PM me and I'll toss it a test drive. BTW I'm 6', 265lbs, don't know if I'm gonna fit in that thing. :tomato:

Nah dude, its all good... dont worry about. I'm gonna set something up with someone who knows all about MINI's when I gather up my thoughts. Hopefully he doesnt get bought-out though.

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Pay attention to number 2 and 3. Unlikely you would find financing if you're not planning on paying cash, and insurance WILL be a real problem. Most won't cover it, and the rest I'm sure would have major strings attached.

Yeah I'm buying it cash, the insurance thing is starting to worry me so I might have to look into that. The user was claiming "car has rebuilt title currently in process to pass inspection for clear utah title" not sure what that meant?

SakiGT 04-03-2008 07:42 AM

I can do my own oil changes, brake pads, body mods and even some basic bolt on work but I consider myself a car newb. In order to own that car, you need to understand and be able to pay for a lot more than that.

I sure as hell wouldnt. :rofl:

SakiGT 04-03-2008 07:48 AM

Have you test driven one yet, btw?

I have yet to. I have the strange feeling that I would put a second mortgage on my condo to get one if I did. :rofl:

v6cord2k5 04-03-2008 11:31 AM

Yeah I consider myself a novice aswell... but I am willing to learn, thats what the hobby is all about.

Have you test driven one yet, btw?

I have yet to. I have the strange feeling that I would put a second mortgage on my condo to get one if I did. :rofl:

:what: you talking to me?

From 1st post:

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
My girlfriend just got an '06 MINI too so this is further pushing me to satisfy my beast

Yes I have driven one, many many many times.

leedogg 04-03-2008 11:39 AM

I bet he picked it up from an auction, didnt realize it was salvaged/found out something wrong with it, and is now trying to unload it.

Find out how many prior owners there are.

KaMLuNg 04-03-2008 11:54 AM

i never knew you could have a salvage car reinspected to regain a clear title... that is just scary...

v6cord2k5 04-03-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by leedogg
I bet he picked it up from an auction, didnt realize it was salvaged/found out something wrong with it, and is now trying to unload it.

Find out how many prior owners there are.

According to Carfax, there are five, but 3 of them have virtually no information under them for some weird reason. Someone sent me a copy/paste... here it is:

2003 MINI COOPER S
WMWRE33463TD69201
HATCHBACK 2 DR
1.6L L4 FI DOHC 16V / FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Hi-I'm the CARFAX Xpert™. I'm here to help you better understand the data in this CARFAX Report. Did you know...
We checked over 5 billion records from thousands of data sources for this vehicle
This vehicle DOES NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 21,979

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX Owners 1-3 Owner 4 Owner 5
Year purchased 2004 2007 2007
Type of owner Personal --- ---
Estimated length of ownership 3 yrs. 5 mo. 23 days 5 months
Owned in the following states/provinces Indiana Indiana Utah
Estimated miles driven per year --- --- ---
Last reported odometer reading 11,987 21,979

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Owners 1-3 Owner 4 Owner 5
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Alert!
Problem Found Alert!
Problem Found Alert!
Problem Found
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon No Problem No Problem No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits
No Problem No Problem No Problem
Alert! Severe problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle does not qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX Owners 1-3 Owner 4 Owner 5
Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated
No Issues Indicated
No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

See State DMV-reported Title Problems above. Alert!
Problem Found
Alert!
Problem Found
Alert!
Problem Found

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Mini dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported
No Recalls Reported
No Recalls Reported

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 15 record(s) for this 2003 MINI COOPER S (WMWRE33463TD69201).

Owner 1
Purchased: 2004
Type: Personal
Where: Indiana
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 2/28/04 - 3/11/05
(1 year)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
10/17/2003 6,131 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121
www.blossomchevy.com Vehicle serviced
Maintenance inspection completed

02/28/2004 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Indianapolis, IN Registered as
personal vehicle

03/01/2004 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Indianapolis, IN
Title #04241041077 Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle

03/08/2004 7,982 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121

05/07/2004 8,100 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121
Interior trim checked

07/01/2004 11,590 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121
Two wheel alignment performed

08/11/2004 11,986 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121
Clutch checked

11/26/2004 11,987 Blossom Chevrolet, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
317-357-1121

Owner 2
Purchased: 2005
Est. length owned: 3/11/05 - 10/8/05
(6 months)

03/11/2005 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Indianapolis, IN
Title #05081495005 New owner reported
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

Owner 3
Purchased: 2005
Est. length owned: 10/8/05 - 8/9/07
(1 yr. 10 mo.)

10/08/2005 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Indianapolis, IN
Title #05205190121 New owner reported
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

05/20/2006 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Greenwood, IN
Title #06346086058 REBUILT TITLE ISSUED

Owner 4
Purchased: 2007
Est. length owned: 8/9/07 - 9/1/07
(23 days)

08/09/2007 Indiana
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Greenwood, IN
Title #07346158072 New owner reported
REBUILT TITLE ISSUED

09/01/2007 Utah
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Ogden, UT Vehicle purchase reported

Owner 5
Purchased: 2007
Where: Utah
Est. length owned: 10/12/07 - present
(5 months)

10/12/2007 Utah
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Ogden, UT
Title #UT7761463 New owner reported
REBUILT TITLE ISSUED
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

If you are buying this vehicle from a private seller, check to be sure any associated lien on the vehicle has been paid off.

10/16/2007 21,979 Utah
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Ogden, UT
Title #UT7761463 Odometer reading reported
Its hard to figure out what really went on with this car. The seller only speaks of two owners, yet the carfax shows five, but only two with any history at all. :ugh:

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
i never knew you could have a salvage car reinspected to regain a clear title... that is just scary...

Me either, AFAIK you cant so it tripped me da fawk out :confused:

Crazy Bimmer 04-03-2008 08:49 PM

HOLY SHIT ITS ON ITS 5TH OWNER?

What a whore of a car.

v6cord2k5 04-03-2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
HOLY SHIT ITS ON ITS 5TH OWNER?

What a whore of a car.

Apparently:

First owner: owned it for ~1yr (put 12,000 miles on it)
Second owner: owned it for 7 months (put the salvage title on it, miles = ?)
Third owner: owned it for 1yr 10 months (got the rebuilt title)
Fourth owner: owned it for 23 days... WTF?!
Fifth owner: has had it for 5 months (and all of a sudden it has 23,000 miles)

It has had 10,000 miles put on it in 4 years (kinda low dontcha think?).

I really need to have the subframe of this car checked out in detail.

TS_eXpeed 04-03-2008 09:15 PM

You didn't even read any of the thread did you ?? Just looked at the pic in the first post, right ??

:shakehead

SakiGT pretty much covered all the issues...

Honestly....yea I just looked at the pic.

lol

I just get excited over MINI's really easy. :tomato:

TS_eXpeed 04-03-2008 09:18 PM

I'm rather disappointed the the hood scoop is design look only now on the new MINI's....no function. :sad:

The new ones haven't grown on me yet. :shrug:

Sorry to get off topic.

Crazy Bimmer 04-03-2008 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by v6cord2k5
Apparently:

First owner: owned it for ~1yr (put 12,000 miles on it)
Second owner: owned it for 7 months (put the salvage title on it, miles = ?)
Third owner: owned it for 1yr 10 months (got the rebuilt title)
Fourth owner: owned it for 23 days... WTF?!
Fifth owner: has had it for 5 months (and all of a sudden it has 23,000 miles)

It has had 10,000 miles put on it in 4 years (kinda low dontcha think?).

I really need to have the subframe of this car checked out in detail.

Yea maybe it was sitting at the bodyshop or at the dealer trying to get it working back to normal. :run:

Im shocked you even still toying with the idea of buying it.