Busted the hell out of a NSX...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
The C5's from what I've read/heard are pretty reliable. Quality, that goes to the NSX, but for $45,000+ more, it should be better.

They are both great cars but for $90,000, there are others cars I would buy before an NSX.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:35 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
yea, our C5 and everyone I know who owns one has had little if no problems.

and i'm w/ matt, i'd take a c6 z06 over an nsx in a heart beat, probably a C5 z06 as well.

W/ that said, I do love the NSX, and will own one eventually for a few months to fuck around w/
Old 04-04-2005, 07:40 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
have you driven a C6, Gary?

i would take a C6 Z06 over 99.9% of NSX's. as it would mop the floor w/ 99.9% of NSX's. no matter what the playing field was.
You got me there, no ri-dy in a C6... But I've seen many vettes up close and ridden in a few. For me, they just didn't impress me like the NSX did for an overall package.

i still can't wait to see your NSX though.
If you're going to the WCM4 (exact time/place TBD), you will... But will I be saying "damn that nitros" (in ref. to vid of mattg vs cls6sp03 at WCM3) in my NSX... If I get the CTSC in, then maybe I'll hear you in a video saying something like "damn that NSX"...

Last edited by NSX-Tuner; 04-04-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Speed Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
You got me there, no ri-dy in a C6... But I've seen many vettes up close and ridden in a few. For me, they just didn't impress me like the NSX did for an overall package.

If you're going to the WCM4 (exact time/place TBD), you will... But will I be saying "damn that nitros" (in ref. to vid of mattg vs cls6sp03 at WCM3) in my NSX... If I get the CTSC in, then maybe I'll hear you in a video saying something like "damn that NSX"...
Go for a drive, it smokes a C5 every which way from Sunday, and looks 10X better as well... I am with you though the NSX is a sweet ass ride, I even said that to the guy when I rolled up behind him while he was working on his car... he said he had to adjust the valves or something?

Anyways, for me, it doesn't get any better than a Porsche. I have an old pos of an 87, but it still rides nicer than the Vette, is much more stable at speeds over 150 than the Vette, and is less noisy than the Vette... shit its 18 y/o and I've topped it near 200 mph with nothing more than chips and air filter. It also ran a 13.6 @ 102 last week, which isn't anything special compared to a Vette, but it still is a nice ride at 18, and the Vette will prob be falling apart in 5...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by 2LOW4U
Go for a drive, it smokes a C5 every which way from Sunday, and looks 10X better as well... I am with you though the NSX is a sweet ass ride, I even said that to the guy when I rolled up behind him while he was working on his car... he said he had to adjust the valves or something?

Anyways, for me, it doesn't get any better than a Porsche. I have an old pos of an 87, but it still rides nicer than the Vette, is much more stable at speeds over 150 than the Vette, and is less noisy than the Vette... shit its 18 y/o and I've topped it near 200 mph with nothing more than chips and air filter. It also ran a 13.6 @ 102 last week, which isn't anything special compared to a Vette, but it still is a nice ride at 18, and the Vette will prob be falling apart in 5...
Going back a few years, I road in a new polara silver 1972 911S Targa. The car weighed somewhere around 2200 to 2400, had over 210 HP and did the 1/4 mile in 13.2s. It could hit the rev limiter in top gear at about 150MPH if given a long enough straight. One of the most amazing things about the car is how quiet and calm the interior was with the t-top off while running at 120 MPH. In fact, I light a match and it did even flicker. One of my favorite all time cars.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
but the NSX was at the drag strip, so he was fair game

Old 04-05-2005, 05:29 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
First off, I'm biased toward the NSX - ...............

Say what you want about the C5, C6 or whatever type of vette. For me, none of them even come close to the quality, finish, refinement, balance or overall driving enjoyment that an NSX delivers. Oh did I forget to mention reliability. You see vettes everywhere and every day which are so common place. But how often do you see an NSX? The NSX will inspire you in many ways, while a vette will just impress you with it's power and good handling. Sure, some types of vettes are faster in some ways, but I'll take an NSX over a vette any day --- oh, I forgot, I already did...

If all you're into is power, then you probably favor a vette over an NSX. On the other hand, there's the NSX... superior in many ways... except maybe price/performance.

As far as the NSXer who was displaying some arrogance before the race-off, he deserved the result. But this makes me wonder if there was a different driver in the NSX, would the result have been a lot closer?

Here are some NSX inspiration videos...

NSX part 2 (27 MB)

Top Gun NSX (22 MB)
There you go...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 AM
G
Bitten.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
yea, our C5 and everyone I know who owns one has had little if no problems.

and i'm w/ matt, i'd take a c6 z06 over an nsx in a heart beat, probably a C5 z06 as well.

W/ that said, I do love the NSX, and will own one eventually for a few months to fuck around w/
My vette has been more reliable than my old CL-S. As everyone always says, don't knock something if you have NO personal experience.

As far as NSX over C5 Z06, well, I am biased there as I bought a Z06. For me, the package was so much sweeter in the Vette than in an NSX. Yeah, the interior is a little nicer in the NSX, but it was not worth the extra cash. Plus, my Vette could easily hang with an NSX in the twisties, and maybe, with a comparable driver, beat the NSX.

The NSX is a great car, don't get me wrong. But, it is a few years past it's expiration date. Just my
Old 04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
G
Bitten.

Now if a 3.2-liter NSX has the following mods; CT i/sc/h/e installed w/370 WHP, then the comparison would be something like this...

stock C5 Z06 < 3.2-liter modded NSX (NSX:advantage in the corners & acceleration)

3.2-liter modded NSX < stock C6 Z06 (NSX:advantage in the corners??? maybe, C6:advantage in acceleration)
Yes, with the above mods, the NSX may be victorious. However, that is comparing apples to oranges-a stock car to a modified car (same thing as the comment that said a modified civic could beat my stock Z06). You cannot make that comparison without doing the same to the Vette. In that case, the Vette would remain victorious.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
hey nsx tuner! re-upload those vids! i love nsx's and i wanna see them. your links are expired.

and yes, count me in as one of those that would pick an nsx over a vette. this is all opinion based. come on now, yes we are all admitting that vettes are more powerful, reliable, and whatever the cases are. but what about just thinking about what WE think looks better or just feel like its more us.. im not much on american cars and its just how ive always been. so nsx for me here. i still love them no matter how old they get! i still love older cars, so many of them. the 89-93 fastback 240SX's, 300zx, older preludes, rx7's.. and i also know many american car faves like the firebirds, camaros, and i dont know much, but yeah i know you miss those too. im still happy that the nsx's are available and still in production, maybe not for long but hey, im still working up to it!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 AM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by aaronnn
hey nsx tuner! re-upload those vids! i love nsx's and i wanna see them. your links are expired.

and yes, count me in as one of those that would pick an nsx over a vette. this is all opinion based. come on now, yes we are all admitting that vettes are more powerful, reliable, and whatever the cases are. but what about just thinking about what WE think looks better or just feel like its more us.. im not much on american cars and its just how ive always been. so nsx for me here. i still love them no matter how old they get! i still love older cars, so many of them. the 89-93 fastback 240SX's, 300zx, older preludes, rx7's.. and i also know many american car faves like the firebirds, camaros, and i dont know much, but yeah i know you miss those too. im still happy that the nsx's are available and still in production, maybe not for long but hey, im still working up to it!
Not my vids. They are from NSXPrime. Here are new links that may work (no guarantees how long though)... also, I'm able to view from work, but not from home... could be a CODEC issue...

NSX inspiration videos...

NSX part 2 (22 MB)

Top Gun NSX (27 MB)
Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
but the NSX was at the drag strip, so he was fair game
exactly what i was thinking

too many whiners on the board
Old 04-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Before I bought my NSX, I really struggled with the decision. I wanted a fast, exotic. I like the C5's but on one particular day when I went to go look at them, I saw 8 on the way to the dealership. I knew then it was not the car for me. I wanted a car that was more unique then that. I really like the car and it has some great features (tire pressure monitor, heads up display, etc...). I have told my wife that if I were to ever part with my NSX, I'd definitely look at a vette. I still troll the vette forums. Great guys over there, very friendly, very helpful.

All that being said, the NSX is great looking, fun to drive, comfortable and pretty fast.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, that made me laugh for a bit... ok no seriously it made me laugh a hell of a lot...

The one I raced was a 97, dunno but I thought that was the newer motor year...

The reason it was funny is all his friend's were talking shit at the line about how I was going to get "destroyed" is the word my girlfriend mentioned... Then when I beat his ass like a red headed step child, she made a smart ass comment back and walked off, and she said they looked like she kicked them in the nuts.

A couple of things.

1st: If it was a '97 or newer NSX, he had the newer 3.2 liter motor.

2nd: If his friends were talking trash about you getting spanked and you pulled up in a new C6 Corvette, they are dumb jacka$$es that know nothing about cars. The C6 is supposed to be a great car, and one of the best Corvette's ever made.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Instructor

I would, but I don't have money for road tires, and am not going to take the car to a road track on my $9000 wheels and tires and burn them up in a few minutes... ...
Do you realize the irony in saying you spent $9,000 on wheels and tires and do not have money to burn up on tires??
Old 04-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATXCLS
...As far as NSX over C5 Z06, well, I am biased there as I bought a Z06. For me, the package was so much sweeter in the Vette than in an NSX. Yeah, the interior is a little nicer in the NSX, but it was not worth the extra cash. Plus, my Vette could easily hang with an NSX in the twisties, and maybe, with a comparable driver, beat the NSX.

The NSX is a great car, don't get me wrong. But, it is a few years past it's expiration date. Just my

LOL!! It is funny, because we had exactly the opposite experiences. I decided that I would give up the power because I wanted nicer interior pieces since I would be spending all my time in the car looking at those pieces and build quality. The Z-06 is a wonderful car though, as I drove one at my wedding as my getaway vehicle.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:34 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait till the next gen NSX comes out...
Old 04-08-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm back, biatch.

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
Wait till the next gen NSX comes out...
Dont hold your breath.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:33 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Do you realize the irony in saying you spent $9,000 on wheels and tires and do not have money to burn up on tires??
Old 04-08-2005, 07:35 AM
GEEZER

I for one could never own a Corvette and feel good about driving it. I am 44 years old and the Vette SCREAMS Mid-Life Crisis. Seems all I see driving those cars are old dudes trying to get back something they lost. I never lost it so....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Speed Addict

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I for one could never own a Corvette and feel good about driving it. I am 44 years old and the Vette SCREAMS Mid-Life Crisis. Seems all I see driving those cars are old dudes trying to get back something they lost. I never lost it so....
LOL and you don't live in Dallas... in Dallas it screams, I am in my 20s and want a bad ass car that isn't slow like everything else for 20-30 grand. The Corvette here is like the Fox body Mustang of the 21st Century...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
Speed Addict

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Priorities man priorities... I don't race the car around a road track, I bought it to drag race and drive around town daily, hense why the automatic...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Same thing with any Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo. Would you not drive those cars too?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
GEEZER

Originally Posted by bigman
Same thing with any Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo. Would you not drive those cars too?
I disagree. The Price Point of the two mentioned above says you are wrong.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
Dont hold your breath.
Yeah...havent heard of any concrete plans..but read an article, donno where (probably 1 year ago), that said the next gen NSX will be hybrid with abt 400 horses!
Old 04-08-2005, 07:15 PM
boosted is best

Yeah...havent heard of any concrete plans..but read an article, donno where (probably 1 year ago), that said the next gen NSX will be hybrid with abt 400 horses!
I don't need a next gen NSX... I'll just throw a SC on mine, then I'll have nearly 400WHP... or 450 crank HP...
Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,262 Likes on 5,221 Posts
I have to chime in and side with the Vettes. Both the C6 and the C5 Z06 will beat any NSX at any roadcourse, period. This is of course assuming driver skills and tire type are equal and all cars are stock. The fact is both handle as well, if not better than the NSX, and both have a sizable power edge on the ailing NSX. The C6 Z06 will murder the NSX.

however, to this thread just because it was blatant flamebait.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

You don't post timeslips, and/or times, you don't know what was in the car except it had alot done to it? more info next time instead of saying my brand new car beat the hell outta some car that I have no idea of the year and or mods and perhaps people wouldn't give u so much shit. Simple power to weigh ratio will tell that your car will be faster. Not to be an ass but you have automatic vette? :ghey: why even bother getting a car with that much power to have an automatic????
Old 04-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Zapata
Not to be an ass but you have automatic vette? :ghey: why even bother getting a car with that much power to have an automatic????

oh yeah - forgot to say in my above post - applies to manual transmission cars only. If you take an auto-trannied car to any roadcourse - ESPECIALLY one that is offered in manual as well - you ought to be put in jail.

Crazy please tell me your A4 is manual...
Old 04-08-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm back, biatch.

I heard plans for the next gen NSX have been scrapped.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by teg_to_TSX
I heard plans for the next gen NSX have been scrapped.
Reported by C&D HK a month ago: S2k is entering its last year, NSX is simply a history now, Type-Rs will be gone in a few years as well. Honda's main focus now are SUV and pick-ups. (read it: RDX and new MDX)
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

that sucks... the NSX Type-R owned some serious exotic ass in the most recent Best Motoring vids.. of course, it was being driven by Gaan-San...

I forgot to mention, the latest NSX Type-R is one NSX that would run with the Z06 and C6, maybe better, at roadcourses - unfortunately they are unavailable in the states and I doubt we will ever see a comparison pitting the Z06 and/or C6 against one.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally Posted by MSZ
Reported by C&D HK a month ago: S2k is entering its last year, NSX is simply a history now, Type-Rs will be gone in a few years as well. Honda's main focus now are SUV and pick-ups. (read it: RDX and new MDX)

not necessarily a bad thing. Make all of the cars more fun to drive instead of just a few that suck up the money for the rest.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Speaking of NSX-R, check this out:

http://www.hlj.com/product/EBR24015

I want one...
Old 04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Speed Addict

You don't post timeslips, and/or times, you don't know what was in the car except it had alot done to it? more info next time instead of saying my brand new car beat the hell outta some car that I have no idea of the year and or mods and perhaps people wouldn't give u so much shit. Simple power to weigh ratio will tell that your car will be faster. Not to be an ass but you have automatic vette? :ghey: why even bother getting a car with that much power to have an automatic????
He told me it was a 97 to my face, and he said it hasd a lot of work done to it, it was trapping in the 110-112 range, and we were a really close race the first time, when I gave him the jump, about a car, and the second time I left and got about 4-5 cars...

The autos in the Corvettes are just plain sick. Like I said, this car was bought for cruising around town, and for DRAG racing. I plan to put a large stall, slicks, and a 150 shot on it, with cam full exhaust and eventually ported heads... it will be running consistent LOW 10s... good luck getting a manual VETTE to run low 10s with that little work, and not having to brace the entire rear end of the car up so it doesn't fal apart... My friend has a 408 with a 250 shot and a stick in a 02 Z06, and he is only hoping for high 9s...
Old 04-09-2005, 12:53 PM
boosted is best

He told me it was a 97 to my face, and he said it hasd a lot of work done to it, it was trapping in the 110-112 range, and we were a really close race the first time, when I gave him the jump, about a car, and the second time I left and got about 4-5 cars...

I don't know what you're getting all excited about. You said the first race was very close. Then the second race, you got a jump on him. It sounds like it was a driver error that gave you the 4-5 car lead at the end. So your car isn't really much faster than the NSX you raced. You barely won the first race over a car where you have a lot more displacement, more power and torque and weight within a couple of 100 lbs. It doesn't look like you have much to celebrate about, but rather something to worry about.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Duck Fuke!

Old 04-09-2005, 02:02 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

The autos in the Corvettes are just plain sick.

Come on now do you REALLY believe that? I've driven enough C5's and a few C6's to know they are still just a corvette. I think its great you like it, and others also swear by the corvette. But they don't do it for me, every generation is one step closer to "right" but they always seem to fall short. We are all entitled to our opinion and clearly you thought about it before dropping the money to get a vette, and I am glad you are happy. Personally for less money I would have an elise in a second- but that's me and we all have different needs/wants.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

The autos in the Corvettes are just plain sick. Like I said, this car was bought for cruising around town, and for DRAG racing. I plan to put a large stall, slicks, and a 150 shot on it, with cam full exhaust and eventually ported heads... it will be running consistent LOW 10s... good luck getting a manual VETTE to run low 10s with that little work, and not having to brace the entire rear end of the car up so it doesn't fal apart... My friend has a 408 with a 250 shot and a stick in a 02 Z06, and he is only hoping for high 9s...

again, you get an automatic station wagon....not an AT vette, especially at your age. unless you have some physical problem, MT isn't just for drag racing.

not hating, u have a beautifal car but the devil is the details.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
boosted is best

again, you get an automatic station wagon....not an AT vette, especially at your age. unless you have some physical problem, MT isn't just for drag racing.

not hating, u have a beautifal car but the devil is the details.
Almost as bad as getting an AT NSX...

Quick Reply: Busted the hell out of a NSX...