Building a Custom Exhaust Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Building a Custom Exhaust Setup

I thought it'd be a pretty fun car-talk idea if we discussed custom exhaust setups. I've never done one on my car, but I here they're becoming more and more popular. My next car will be the new E92, but when it comes down to it, if you think i'm going to pay german $$ for aftermarket exhausts that dont even look aftermarket, you've lost it. It seems that in the bmw tuning universe, you have to be understated, and barely louder to be "reputable" and get your product sold, and well, as a sports car guy instead of a lux guy, that idea doesn't appeal to me. So I think i'm going to go custom.

So if you go custom, you're basically just getting pipes, welding them to fit, and getting mufflers to go with it, correct? Thats what I would assume. But wouldnt this allow you to mix and match the parts? There's on reason why I couldnt have magnaflow pipes attatched to an hks muffler or anything, correct?

Here are my goals for my setup (estimated time of completion? Some time in late 08? I'm really just speculating and procrastinating on my work at this time.

1) Titanium pipes. The only two companies i've seen with titanium pipes are tanabe and magnaflow. I'm very familiar with tanabe's positive rep, and i'm sure they make a good product. Magnaflow stuff is cheap. Now when I say cheap, I dont mean its not good quality, I mean, its actually inexpensive when compared to its competitors. I dont want to fall into the trap of thinking more expensive is better (because that would defeat the whole purpose anyway), so who would you recommend for titanium exhaust (w/o a muffler).

2) For my mufflers, I am more than extremely interested in Apexi. The cause of my obsession is their Exhaust Control Valve (http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exh...=251&pageNum=1)

In theory, it seems like a fantastic idea. Quiet when I need it to be (they give exhaust tickets in VA, not based on decibills, but if they "sound louder than OEM"), but open, loud, and banshee when I want them to be (which is really 100% of the time... Is it just me or do Comptech's get a LOT quieter with age... They sounded really loud when I first got them, but now I barely notice at times.. keyword: at times). So has anyone heard of this accessory or have any experience with Apexi N1s in general? Does anyone else make an accessory similar to this one?

Super Abridged Version
1) Post your dream custom exhaust setup
2) Share brands and their reps and/or your experiences with them
3) Discuss Titanium exhaust systems and the Who's who of the Ti world
4) Report any ideas on the idea of Apexi's exhaust control valve
Old 12-02-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two titanium exhaust systems designed for BMW's, not sure if the e92 exhaust is out yet - keep in mind these exhaust systems are full titanium piping, and titanium muffler both of which should weigh no more than 10lbs together.

Gruppe M Full titanium Exhaust $2000
and
Dixis Full titanium Exhaust $1800-2000

The ones you listed above... Tanabe is not full titanium, only the tip of their mufflers are titanium. The piping is stainless steel. Magnaflow actually made a decent full titanium exhaust for imports, and the price was decent but they discontinued them...

I have the Greddy Titanium exhaust for my evo, it was not cheap I paid close to $1300 but it was well worth it!!! It weighs only 9 lbs... compared to my stock catback which weighed close to 60 lbs. Best sounding exhaust really loud though.!

Your best bet is to find someone who can work with titanium and have them design/weld you custom titanium piping. Go buy a titanium exhaust from apexi for a couple hundred bucks and you are good to go.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i know that on my bmw, exhaust didn't make a huge difference. not worth the price i paid for it. and you might end up losing power by building a custom one yourself.