Bonded Title Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bonded Title Problems

Hey guys I've been having title problems with my car the past couple months. So let's start the story off by saying that back in October I bought a clean 2003 Acura TL-S from a local used dealership. They did a carfax for me to make sure everything was okay with it. It was claimed to be clear title.

So the next month I'm waiting on my title and I finally get a letter in the mail from the state saying my car was on the stolen registry list. I call the dealership telling and they say they are working on it. The told me beforehand that it came from an auction in Texas. So they tell me don't worry we'll take care of it. Okay so it takes a couple months for them to get it taken care of and when I finally get the title in the mail it says bonded.

I immediately call them and ask what does this mean. They say oh we didn't know it was bonded either, let us call and find out. So they call me back and say well the car was foreclosed on previously and the bank didn't feel like going through the necessary steps to get clear title, so they just grabbed a bonded title for quick sale. I guess this is where the stolen registry came in somehow, the owner must have reported it stolen for insurance or whatever. They stated they didn't know before selling me the car. I said why not and they said we didn't have the title when you bought it, it was being processed from the auction company.

I just called them earlier because I'm really worried that I lost a bunch of money on the deal. They said that my bonded title is better because it's guaranteed by an insurance company blah blah. The thing is that my title will always be bonded.

I asked a friend who's been working at dealerships all his life about this. He talked to his title guy and told me I needed to get my money back because I will get screwed if I ever try to trade it in. Does anyone know what I have a right to do? Anyone delt with this before.They didn't disclose any of this to me beforehand, so therefore I think I am entitled to a refund. I'm gonna throw the "I'm gonna talk to my lawyer" line at them when we talk on Monday.

Thanks for reading,
Jed
Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd look for the refund, just to screw the dealer in return from screwing you.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
I'd look for the refund, just to screw the dealer in return from screwing you.
That's what I'm trying to do for my own sake. I could care less what the dealer thinks.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd try to get a refund. And next time, consult Auto Check as well as Carfax:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/say-no-carfax-very-informative-video-inside-717186/
Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

[quote=LuvMyTSX;10757186]I'd try to get a refund. And next time, consult Auto Check as well as Carfax:

Yea well Carfax gave me the go ahead, I didn't know about Auto Check. Thanks though.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by jedc
...The thing is that my title will always be bonded.

I asked a friend who's been working at dealerships all his life about this. He talked to his title guy and told me I needed to get my money back because I will get screwed if I ever try to trade it in. Does anyone know what I have a right to do? Anyone delt with this before.They didn't disclose any of this to me beforehand, so therefore I think I am entitled to a refund.
Here is a Texas bonding company's take on bonded titles, which apparently can become regular title after three years of vulnerability to the true title owner: http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm#Q1

G/L.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Yea I've seen that about bonded titles in Texas. The problem is that my title is now in Mississippi and will always be bonded as per state law. I'm really seeking someone who works at a dealership or has experience in this area. I need to find out how the bonded title affects resale. Any suggestions?