BMW Drivers attitudes suck

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Thats a new one for me..

I'll give it 6 months for Portland to pick it up
welcome to last year? That shit is pretty lame and dumb.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
Your cars aren't the ultimate driving machine, the M3 is overrated, I'd rather drive an Audi RS4 or Lotus Elise. So sue me.
That's not really a fair comparison... the RS4 is >$15k more than the M3 (base to base), and the Elise is a stripped down roadster. All 3 cars are great in their own right, but you gotta be fair.

...And I agree w/ most of the comments here --- I see more civilized Bimmer drivers than asshats... but I *do* notice the asshats... b/c they're driving nice whips
Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
now with 7 gears

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of you guys seriously fail in pattern matching. There's no doubt that certain personalities are attracted to certain types of cars, and the proportion of asshat drivers in BMWs is higher than other mainstream car makes. Of course the overall percentage isn't high when you take into account the vast number of BMW vehicles on the street as there are plenty of normal drivers, but if you're talking asshat-to-make ratio, comparatively it's higher.

Given a sampling of daily traffic with a randomly chosen BMW on the road pitted against a randomly chosen (insert marque here) you're better off wagering that the BMW driver is driving more like an asswipe than the other brand driver. Common indicators include weaving, speeding up to cut people off, no signaling, edging in front at merges during traffic, and did I say NO SIGNALING?

I used to play naive and just give all cars the benefit of the doubt. Well let's just say that I still give almost all cars the benefit of the doubt. The big exception being BMW's. It's almost guaranteed that if they could shank you and get away with it, you'd be shanked and left to rot.

Four out of the last 5 times I've lined up at the stoplight in the singular lane that goes onto the freeway, the BMW that I see coming up in my rearview will switch over to the lane on the left, sometimes even to the one two lanes over, and will attempt to do cut across to get onto the onramp. I live for those fun times.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I can't help it if you don't have fast enough reaction times to move out of my way.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by picus
I can't help it if you don't have fast enough reaction times to move out of my way.
Sorry we dont have all twin turbo engines.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
I call on this one, no way there is a Ford Ranger that's worth that much money. What was it, gold plated and encrusted with diamonds?
modding a car kills its value...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think people who complain about this really haven't a clue how enjoyable and in control you feel in a well balanced vehicle. You get connected to it; and it just shows in your driving.

My nose plowing while cornering/nose diving while braking TL doesn't connect me to the road especially with the torque steer as I shift my 6MT.

It feels unrefined and it is...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
I think people who complain about this really haven't a clue how enjoyable and in control you feel in a well balanced vehicle. You get connected to it; and it just shows in your driving.

My nose plowing while cornering/nose diving while braking TL doesn't connect me to the road especially with the torque steer as I shift my 6MT.

It feels unrefined and it is...
While I agree 100% in regards to the feel of a well balanced sports car (Cayman S FTW), it doesn't mean you should drive like a schmuck on public roads just because it's fun and you feel connected. If you want to enjoy a car like that you take part in a track day and just go all out.

I have no problem with "cautious speed" where some one drive fast but does not interfere with the other drivers on the road. "Reckless speed" where you bob and weave in and out of traffic is a different story.

I actually find myself complaining more about slow moving "fast cars". I love getting stuck behind a AMG benz that's going 10mph under the speed limit.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Cool.... I'm going to get a 335i now since it gives me an excuse to drive like an asshat! I'll just tell people that I'm connected!

I only see a slight correlation really... but my co-worker did get 2-3 speeding tickets in less than a year of having his 323i..... 80 in a 45, then something, and he ran a red light, etc.

he used to drive a Neon, and didn't get any tickets in that IIRC, so
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Or it could be that he drove like a douche in the Neon too, but cops let it slide? Maybe that sounds silly, maybe it is, but I'm more careful in my current car than I was in my G35 sedan because I *know* it gets more attention from the popo.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it true BMW eliminated turn signals to save weight?

Because, I kid you not, over 50% of the BMWs, particularly the 3 series, that I see changing lanes DO NOT SIGNAL.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja

Because, I kid you not, over 50% of the BMWs, particularly the 3 series, that I see changing lanes DO NOT SIGNAL.

Whenever I see a 3 series with turn signals on it's always
Old 08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Dang didnt realize so many people look at BMWs.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by onebadna1nsx

Whenever I see a 3 series with turn signals on it's always
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-_J84gZdXU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-_J84gZdXU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_J84gZdXU

They have them.

One of the comments is "great now we know BMWs have turn singals now fucking use them"
Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm king of the road, what of it?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

In my area that's only half the truth. It should look like this.
Is it true the auto industry eliminated turn signals to save fuel?

Because, I kid you not, over 50% of the cars, particularly the big honkin' SUV's, that I see changing lanes DO NOT SIGNAL.
Fixed for Masshole drivers!

Visualize.....use your turn signals!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Judgmental sons of a bitch suck.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Saintor
Judgmental sons of a bitch suck.
So do douchebags.....

Offended that the thread title describes you perfectly?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well there's a differance between enjoying a car and being a dick while driving...

taking turns hard versus tailgating for no reason....

cutting people off while putting them in danger....

well this thread really is useless...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Does everyone know the joke about the porcupine and BMW's?

One of my customers brought her car in, and I noticed there are porcupine quills sticking out of the front lower airdam.

This begs the question: What's the difference when a BMW with pricks on the inside runs over the animals that has pricks on the outside?

haiduc, who is also a BMW driving "douchebag."
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eh, this thread has no other purpose than to hate on BMW owners and drivers... it's just bait to get an argument going.

I mean if the people complaining about the BMW drivers went watching for assholes driving SUV/Trucks they'd find even more jerks driving. As there are way more trucks/SUVs on the road; so statistically there will be more sloppy/aggressive drivers as well.

It's amazing how when your looking for something hard enough you'll always seem to find it....

Take a moment and realize assholes drive everything from pickup trucks to smart cars... If you concentrate long and hard enough you'll amazingly find people who can't drive in all types of vehicles.

Granted BMW drivers may drive more aggressive... it's a "well duh" moment don't you think? They bought a sporty balanced car and can't handle the responsibility that it out performs most vehicles on the road; so they abuse it.

I mean honestly put some thought into this instead of pure hate....

In general...

people driving economy cars = drive slow
people driving sports cars = drive aggressive
people driving large SUV/trucks = like the feeling of big power/control

These rules are easily broken, as not everyone can afford/own their "ideal" vehicles. And sometimes people are simply in a rush... even the economy guy.

Someone who wants to save gas by driving a Prius isn't going to buy a Escalade; and the Prius owner will be very annoyed when the Escalade /w 22's is riding his ass trying to get him to go faster.

And when the big old SUV owner one day realizes he can't afford his truck anymore and has to downgrade to an economy box you think he's going to drive around all happy and cheerful every day?

Anyway... judgmental threads like this are stupid. You can judge anyone... it all just depends on what faults *you* are looking for... there will always be some, welcome to being human.

So as you judge the BMW drivers; I can guarantee someone is judging you for something you do that annoys them while driving...

I too hate unsafe drivers; it drives me crazy. And drivers who think they are above the law. There's tons of of them out here in Kansas (and everywhere else). Every day I see the guy all the way in the right lane make the left turn across 3 lanes of traffic. Someone reading a book while driving. Idiots who run red lights, people who are unable to stay in there lane while making a turn...

my anyway
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

I think siggy summed it up perfectly. My double quote of jlukja was sort of eluding to the same thing, it's not just the BMW drivers, there's just a lot of idiot drivers out there.

In reality, I blame the Drivers Licensing procedure. I don't know how it is in the other 49 states but in MA the test is pretty much a joke.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
So do douchebags.....

Offended that the thread title describes you perfectly?

Don't you drive a Camaro? How's that young menatlly challanged son of yours doing? Someone should have told you that having sex with family members is a bad thing. Or maybe you were just the result of your dad knocking up his sister.

<------BMW driver who loves cutting people off at 100+ mph while listening to techno music.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

FastAcura. Please chill.

I Go To Costco, please stop making inflammatory statements.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
I

Originally Posted by haiduc
FastAcura. Please chill.

I Go To Costco, please stop making inflammatory statements.
No offense, I thought this was the prejudice thread...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I always thought Jeremy Clarkson summed up most BMW drivers perfectly.....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by FastAcura
Don't you drive a Camaro? How's that young menatlly challanged son of yours doing? Someone should have told you that having sex with family members is a bad thing. Or maybe you were just the result of your dad knocking up his sister.

<------BMW driver who loves cutting people off at 100+ mph while listening to techno music.
His post wasn't aimed at BMW drivers, it was aimed specifically at Saintor.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
I

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I always thought Jeremy Clarkson summed up most BMW drivers perfectly.....

CAWKSSS!!!!

Honestly, I still don't get how anyone could judge someone by what they drive. That's like saying all blacks are thugs, all muslims are terrorists and all asians and mexicans drive riced out civics and integras.

CAWKS come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes I do a little spirital driving myself, but I don't cut anyone off or tailgate. The car is just asking for it
Old 08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I

Originally Posted by dom
His post wasn't aimed at BMW drivers, it was aimed specifically at Saintor.
I wasn't really trying to insult Costco. My point was that a lot of people get judged by what they drive (and most of the time it's not true)
Old 08-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Race Director

I could care less what anyone thinks of me, my bmw, or my driving. The fact that the OP has spent time creating this thread and is getting all pissed about BMW drivers makes me laugh. Maybe it's time to take some xanax
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zeroday
I could care less what anyone thinks of me, my bmw, or my driving. The fact that the OP has spent time creating this thread and is getting all pissed about BMW drivers makes me laugh.
I think the fact that you laughed contradicts your claim that you don't care what others think.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
It's 2008, I don't understand why turn signals aren't automated.

If you turn the wheel more than X degrees, the signal should automagically come on and then shut off when back to within the zero degree to x degree window.

Can't be that hard can it? Also cuts down on the "I'm doing 55 in a 65 in the left lane with my left turn signal on" that drives everyone up the wall (including me).
Old 08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charliemike
It's 2008, I don't understand why turn signals aren't automated.

If you turn the wheel more than X degrees, the signal should automagically come on and then shut off when back to within the zero degree to x degree window.

Can't be that hard can it? Also cuts down on the "I'm doing 55 in a 65 in the left lane with my left turn signal on" that drives everyone up the wall (including me).
You can't be serious? Signaling in the midst of a turn is too late. Plus you wouldn't want it to go off whenever you round a slight curve in the road.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
You can't be serious? Signaling in the midst of a turn is too late. Plus you wouldn't want it to go off whenever you round a slight curve in the road.
You realize that if you set it to say +/- 4 degrees of center (so at 356 and 4 degrees) that's going to give you plenty of time for a safe lane change maneuver?

Might not help with sudden right or left turns but short of putting an implant in your brain I dunno what's going to solve the problem.

It's an idea. I don't see anyone else coming up with a solution. They're just throwing poo around like monkeys at the zoo.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charliemike
You realize that if you set it to say +/- 4 degrees of center (so at 356 and 4 degrees) that's going to give you plenty of time for a safe lane change maneuver?

Might not help with sudden right or left turns but short of putting an implant in your brain I dunno what's going to solve the problem.

It's an idea. I don't see anyone else coming up with a solution. They're just throwing poo around like monkeys at the zoo.
First you have to determine why people wouldn't chose to use them in then first place. The solution would come out of addressing those things.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Race Director

But than think about how many people would accident turn their wheel a little bit and the blinker would come on.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

I just keep an eye on whatever side of the lane someone's on.... if they start drifting a little to the right and stay on the right side of a lane, chances are they're going to either go into that lane, signal or not. Its a trick I learned, usually it works, unless its a douchebag behind the wheel, in which case he will swerve without signaling.

Originally Posted by FastAcura

I think the title of this thread should be changed to "BMW drivers are easily offended"

What you described was raggedy old pickup truck drivers. Nice try

oh, and techno sucks
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nobody listens to techno.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by wackura
I think the fact that you laughed contradicts your claim that you don't care what others think.
I laugh at things that are stupid. I posted that I laughed because I wanted the OP to know that I think he is stupid. So yeah I guess I did care enough to post. Thanks for the insight Dr. Phil.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
oh, i guess my post didn't make it.
First, i think Jeremy Clarkson's impression of BMW drivers is pretty funny! That is how i see most bmw drivers.
I think people who drive more powerful cars tend to drive more agressively because they can. I don't think that is a BMW exclusive.
I think pickup truck drivers tend to drive very aggressively, but I have come to realize that a signifigant part of the population drives w/ no regard to the drivers around them. Pickup driver, women in SUV's (not paying attention is almost worse than being an asshat), kids in riced out cars.... lux car owners tend to drive slower in my experience.

Quick Reply: BMW Drivers attitudes suck