BEWARE: OnStar switching over to Digital in 2007, your car may not be upgradeable!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BEWARE: OnStar switching over to Digital in 2007, your car may not be upgradeable!!!

I just got off the phone with OnStar (888.466.7827) and just by accident found out on some disturbing news...

For those of you who have OnStar and use it or plan on buying a car with this feature, please beware. In Dec. 2007, OnStar will be switching over to an all digital system. This means that all vehicles with an analog OnStar system installed will no longer be able to use OnStar after the analog to digital switch-over. In addition, only selected models/years will be upgradeable. In the case of the Acura CL, it is NOT upgradeable according to OnStar. But this probably applies to the 2nd gen TL as well and may also include the new TL and RL models. There is also the possibility that OnStar may only be offering this to GM only models - TBD. I was also told that this year around Sept. 1st, there will be more information available regarding the switch over and how it will affect various vehicles with analog OnStar systems.

I've already contacted Acura (800-382-2238) about this and they didn't know anything about this. Also, I was the first customer to call them on this matter.

Please pass this information along...

Last edited by NSX-Tuner; 05-13-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I heard about this over on the C6 Corvette Forums.
Those guys are really bitching because the C6 is a 2005 and it is still analog while some cheaper GM cars are already coming through digital.

As for me, I don’t care.
I had the free service for one year and I never even pushed the button once.
I let the contract run out two years ago.
The theft tracking is a joke and easily disabled and the airbag “auto-call” notification will only work if the battery and computer are still functioning.
Not very likely since the battery is right in the front of the car.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, I heard about this quite a while ago, and I passed it on to my dad since he has OnStar on his '04 XL Denali. Apparently, his is a digital system and won't be affected. But he's gonna let the contract run out, anyway. He hardly ever uses it.

By the way, they won't HAVE TO switch over to digital. It's just that the government will lift the requirement of the cellular companies having to carry analog AND digital by 2007, and it will be up to the companies whether to offer analog or not. Since GM outsources the cellular lines to other companies, it will be up to them, and ultimately up to GM to decide whether or not they want to use their services.

There's a talk of Verizon and OnStar merging together, and my family is actually waiting for that to happen. We're on a family plan, and we will be able to add the Denali's OnStar line as if it was just another phone line in the family, and be able to share minutes. That will be sweet.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 PM
9th Gear

Wink

Owners of the Acura 05RL. I called On Star and after checking my account, I was told that the Acura 05 RL is already equiped to receive a digital On Star signal so we should have no concern about having to upgrade or losing the service after December '07.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
someone who has OnStar tell me that it's worth the monthly fees. Why would you need OnStar when you got a Cell phone??
Old 05-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by synth19
someone who has OnStar tell me that it's worth the monthly fees. Why would you need OnStar when you got a Cell phone??
Remote unlocking, satellite tracking, automatic SRS deployment notification, concierge service, directions, phone line, etc, etc.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 PM
boosted is best

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Remote unlocking, satellite tracking, automatic SRS deployment notification, concierge service, directions, phone line, etc, etc.
Hands free phone operation. I don't like using my cell phone when I'm driving and I hate to see other drivers use them. They just don't have their full attention on driving when holding their cell phones. I could use my headset with my cell phone but I don't like messing with the extra wires.

Also there's the Emergency Services at a push of a button. I've used it many times to report accidents and road hazards. I've tried to use 911 on my cell phone but I always get put on hold for 5-10 minutes each time. Where as, OnStar Emergency Services usually responds within 5-10 seconds.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Dragging knees in

Good point on the hands-free operation, but studies have shown that it's the actual conversation, not the holding of the phone, that distract the drivers.

However, it is still a big improvement considering you would have both hands to respond to emergency situations. I've used the OnStar hands-free phone in my dad's car, and it was definitely better than holding a phone in my hand next to my ear. But the conversation itself is still a major distraction; hence the reason I keep my conversations really short while I'm driving, and a lot of times, I simply don't answer and call back later when I've come to a stop or reached my destination.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
boosted is best

I usually keep my calls short as possible too... The other thing I like about OnStar is the traffic reporting that's usually 95% acurate and has saved me hours of traffic delays.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
I usually keep my calls short as possible too... The other thing I like about OnStar is the traffic reporting that's usually 95% acurate and has saved me hours of traffic delays.
I've never used that while driving my dad's car. Instead, I always just ended up using the navigation system to reroute when I ran into a traffic jam.

If OnStar could integrate their traffic reports into the navigation system like the one in the RL, that would be sweet.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
I've been meaning to post this up for a while. I got this letter some time ago:

Talk about another blow to the resale value of the car. First the nav units can hurt the resale, and now a useless onstar system after 2007
Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
well this blows for the CL and Tl guys
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,919 Likes on 5,538 Posts
surely they're gonna hear a LOT of negative feedback about this... maybe they will change their plans.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
well this blows for the CL and Tl guys
What about all the GM vehicle owners?? Like they need another hit on re-sale value.

The On-Star system was sold as a "safety" service- I imagine srika is right about On-star getting a LOT of negative feedback.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

Honestly, I think it's a bunch of

Since it was sold as a safety service, basically by saying we're no longer going to support vehicles with the analog systems, they indirectly mean they don't care aobut the safety of those customers IMO. On the flip side, who knows how many people that have the analog system still subscribe to their services. I kept my subscription going for peace of mind in the event I was ever in an accident and the air bag deployed and no one was around since I do drive a lot on my own.

When I first bought the car, I never thought I'd be selling it or trading it in. As of late I've been having problems with it, and I need to get a new[er] car and now I am considering selling it or trading it in to get anything I can for it. I just hope this doesn't hurt it in the end but it probably will.

On-star.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Vollgas auf der Autobahn!

The way I read that letter that was posted it is not Onstar that actually is causing the loss of service to the the analog owners. It is the Cell phone providers that are going to cease offering analog service (which Onstar uses). So if the Phone company stops offering analog service then there is precious little Onstar can do. The US government which controls such things has expired a ruling requiring Cell phone providers to carry both services. Since analog cell phones are technical dinosaurs I am not surprised that the carriers are going to dump analog service. You simply can do more with digital, sucks ofcourse for the Onstar people and customers but I would imagine there will be solutions offered in the aftermarket to cheaply upgrade the cars that are analog only.

Jens
Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Why the heck did they go with analog in the first place?
Old 06-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JensH1963
The way I read that letter that was posted it is not Onstar that actually is causing the loss of service to the the analog owners. It is the Cell phone providers that are going to cease offering analog service (which Onstar uses). So if the Phone company stops offering analog service then there is precious little Onstar can do. The US government which controls such things has expired a ruling requiring Cell phone providers to carry both services. Since analog cell phones are technical dinosaurs I am not surprised that the carriers are going to dump analog service. You simply can do more with digital, sucks ofcourse for the Onstar people and customers but I would imagine there will be solutions offered in the aftermarket to cheaply upgrade the cars that are analog only.

Jens
Although in they speak of "communications" in the letter I posted, they are refering to the communications systems as a whole for the Onstar service. This communications system is used for the cellular service, emergency services, etc...

This entire system is being updated to a digital system as far as I can tell and hence the entire Onstar system that is installed in cars that are analog based will no longer be usable in any way once their digital systems go online at the end of the year.

IF they were referring to only the cellular service they offer, they'd simply refer to that single service and not refer to it as the "onstar service' which is a broad generalization of ALL their services.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doopstr
Why the heck did they go with analog in the first place?
Long before Onstar was available on Acura, it first started out on GM vehicles in analog form.

The thing I don't get is why did only those certain Acura vehilces come with Onstar? Why don't ANY of the newer vehicles come with Onstar anymore? did something happen with Honda/Acura and their agreements with Onstar? Isn't Onstar owned by GM? And if that's the case, why would they ever want to partner with them in the first place?