Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
stay out of NYC
fixed it for ya phee
Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Sounders FC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
I think driving should be a natural thing.

driving well atleast.

I don't really mean to brag, but when I drove for the first time when I was in 4th grade (drove in Russia where you can pay off the cops if it becomes an issue), I didn't have any issues (didn't go offroad, mess up turns, crash, etc). Mind you this was also a stick shift. I consider myself to be a good driver , but then again, so do most people here .
Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Take one of those driver's ed classes. Most of those people in there will be around 15-17 years old, and there'll be some jailbait but its better than not knowing what the hell you're doing. Driving is easy honestly once you get used to it.... in my current car I can't even see the hood when I'm driving and I drive perfectly fine. Experience will teach you what and what not to do, you'll also discover subtle nuances, like how to tell if someone's going to change lanes even if they don't signal.

Never focus on a single object for too long while you're driving, whether that be that ugly ass ricemobile in front of you, or that hot chick in the car next to you. Looking at your hood while moving is probably the worst thing you can do. you want to look FAR straight ahead of you, scanning side to side and checking your mirrors every once in a while, especially before you change lanes. If you play football/Madden or have played QB before, its like looking down the field for receivers.... you're not going to be looking at your offensive line the entire time.

When my cousin started driving he started swaying back and forth in the lane also, though not all over the place. He was always putting his hand on the top of the wheel, around 11 o'clock. Most people my age do that, but I've made it a habit since I started learning to at least put one hand at 9 o'clock and when possible the other one at 3. This helps a lot with straight line stability.... even when cornering hard I try to keep it around 9 and 3 because its balanced.

At first I kinda spaced out too. I would take a long time to look over my shoulder before changing into a exit lane and sometimes the exit would be backed up, other people in the car would tell me to brake so I had a few panic stops. Haven't done that since I was 17 though, and the only accident I've ever been in while I was driving was getting rear-ended at 10mph at a red light. The other driver just wasn't paying attention.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
^^^ funny in real life and in games like Forza, I found looking as far ahead as you could made a big difference in reaction time and steering, I had never really really tried till I did it in the game.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
There is no fast way to becoming a good driver. It's all about experience.

Having said that, I personally categorize "good driving" into two sections. First, vehicle control. For this, there are schools you can take. Second, negotiating traffic. This one is all about experience. The key is to learn how to read traffic flow. When you can read traffic and predict what they are about to do, then you're doing pretty well.

FYI, look far forward into the horizon, instead of looking at 5 feet in front of you. This will help you steer the vehicle steady in a straight line.
I couldn't agree with every single word you just said anymore. Perfect.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
There is no fast way to becoming a good driver. It's all about experience.

Having said that, I personally categorize "good driving" into two sections. First, vehicle control. For this, there are schools you can take. Second, negotiating traffic. This one is all about experience. The key is to learn how to read traffic flow. When you can read traffic and predict what they are about to do, then you're doing pretty well.

FYI, look far forward into the horizon, instead of looking at 5 feet in front of you. This will help you steer the vehicle steady in a straight line.
Agree. The best thing you can do if you really want to help yourself is take some Performance Driving school lessons. Learn that there is more to getting behind the wheel and aiming it down the road. 2) Get out and get seat time driving. There is nothing better than seat time.