Best way to attach balancing weights to wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Best way to attach balancing weights to wheels.

What are the options to attach balancing weights to wheels?

Problem is I balanced wheels at pepboys 2 years ago. They used some double sticky shit to hold weights to the wheels. Well I am only noticing now that they have been falling off. Water and snow wash Thst double sticky stuff off.

Traditionally I think weighs were held by some steel bracket. Can weights always be put on the inner side of the wheel? I don't like when those weights are on the outside.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
Jizz mixed with salty tears.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
1killercls (12-19-2016), Chief F1 Fan (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
The three ways to mount the weight are clip on, double sided tape, and duck tape. The first two are use for normal street application and the latter is use in racing.

The best place to mount the weight is on the outer edge by the clip on style fastener. However, this is usually use on steel wheels because it's asthically unappealing on alloy wheels.

The 2nd best place to mount the weight is on the back side of the wheel as close to the outer edge as possible. This is usually done with double sided tape on alloy wheels because it's asthically appealing. You don't really notice the weight unless you are looking for it. This is an accepted standard practice for balancing alloy wheels.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-18-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01acls
The three ways to mount the weight are clip on, double sided tape, and duck tape. The first two are use for normal street application and the latter is use in racing.

The best place to mount the weight is on the outer edge by the clip on style fastener. However, this is usually use on steel wheels because it's asthically unappealing on alloy wheels.

The 2nd best place to mount the weight is on the back side of the wheel as close to the outer edge as possible. This is usually done with double sided tape on alloy wheels because it's asthically appealing. You don't really notice the weight unless you are looking for it. This is an accepted standard practice for balancing alloy wheels.
Thanks. Any particular tape that u would recommend? Weather resistant.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts

why not have your wheels and tires rebalanced?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Drifting

3M is the standard. The weights come pre taped so the weights are stuck on as is, not 3M. However, that's not the issue. The issue is the tech didn't do a thorough enough job of cleaning the dirt/brake dust from the area that the weights were affected to. It doesn't take much for the weights to stick because the weights are heavy for it's size and with the additional pressure of centrifugal force pressing the weights into the wheel, adhesion is not really a problem. Unless the tape itself deteriorated, in that case the 3M tape would make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (12-22-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 12:23 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Just take it to the shop! Cheap anyway.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
If it's been 2 years, it's time to get them rebalanced..
Old 12-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace

Spending money on rebalancing is no problem. I just don't want to deal with weights falling off again. Just because it's a specialized shop it does not mean that those who work there know what they are doing. I have an alignment guy who I trust and know he is not gonna fuck up my car. But most shops fix one thing and fuck up elsewhere in the process. That's main reason I do diy a lot. Not to save few $.
Also have small clearance between brake caliper and the rim. So if weights are in the middle.. or inside of the rim that would help. It's not exact opposite of the valve and tpms sensor..
Old 12-18-2016, 01:10 PM
Instructor

3M is the standard. The weights come pre taped so the weights are stuck on as is, not 3M. However, that's not the issue. The issue is the tech didn't do a thorough enough job of cleaning the dirt/brake dust from the area that the weights were affected to. It doesn't take much for the weights to stick because the weights are heavy for it's size and with the additional pressure of centrifugal force pressing the weights into the wheel, adhesion is not really a problem. Unless the tape itself deteriorated, in that case the 3M tape would make a difference.
u think 90% of shops use 3m? Is it a standard like hunter balancing machine they use everywhere?

Or they use some unknown tape that came with weights and I need to tape weights on 3m tape
Old 12-18-2016, 08:30 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by MrVtech
.... But most shops fix one thing and fuck up elsewhere in the process.
Data to back up this claim?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZuser
Data to back up this claim?
extensive experience with working on used cars with repairs done by previous owner. Stripped threads.
Claiming they own specific tool required to do bmw alignment and instead banging with a hummer on powder coated trailing arms. Can give exact addresses of those fuck ups.
Extra charge on "had to use heat" during alignment is very common. I mean if u just redone entire suspension. . And that dick head is saying he had to use heat. .
Improper control arm install.. often ull see one bushing twisted to shit because shop did not lower the car before tightening that bolt. I can go on and on.. there are diligent mechanics who actually fix
But most just want to get paid and roll your car out of garage.
Or they just scam..engine blew. U need new radiator to get this car going. Client pays for radiator that he does not need. Car is still fucked
Old 12-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Instructor

A friend just left his vw at a shop for clutch replacement. He is busy with his business. No time for clutch jobs well those idiots installed new starter from autozone..they did not Cal him because they did not want to bother him. Well it was the wrong starter. Vw had couple of starters with different teeth count. So car made a loud high pitched sound when starting. The guy was like what the fuck did u do with my car? It's clearly fucked. Why are u giving me the keys to a fucked up car. And he had the right starter . Original. Made in germany. In Massachusetts I have 2 confirmed shops that either fuck up your car or scam u
Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts
Clean the wheels (where the weights are) with a good wax/tar remover before getting them balanced.
3M double sided tape works great on a clean surface, even better when applied warm.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. No hard data.

Thought so.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZuser
Nothing but anecdotal evidence. No hard data.

Thought so.
its not anecdotal. . Anyone i talked to and I am sure u talked to is very skeptical of a random mechanic.
Basically if u are a woman. Or someone who has no clew of what's going on your chances of getting screwed are about 90%. I only bring my car to alignment and I watch mechanics every move.
bring your car to
320 Watertown St, Newton, MA 02458

I am sure ull have had to use heat charge. And they'll use a hummer all over your subframe and suspension. But the reviews are excellent.. 4.5/5. Who writes these reviews? I'd say shop owner and his friends.

Oh yes.. and pepboys weight stickers.. should not fall off. Meh. Some things in life are very common sense. Searching for "hard data" is waste of time and findings will mislead u.

Last edited by MrVtech; 12-18-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,744 Likes on 6,746 Posts
Tig weld
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Drifting

u think 90% of shops use 3m? Is it a standard like hunter balancing machine they use everywhere?

Or they use some unknown tape that came with weights and I need to tape weights on 3m tape
"3M is the standard. The weights come pre taped so the weights are stuck on as is, not 3M."

I need to clearify about the 3M tape being the standard. What I meant was 3M is the best double sided tape hands down... The standard where all other double sided tapes are compared to is the 3m double sided tape. Not as in the standard double sided tape being use on wheel weights is 3M.

​​​​

Last edited by 01acls; 12-18-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:38 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
This is the real issue as to why they normally fall off.

Originally Posted by justnspace

That being said if it is two years since you last had them done you really should have them rebalanced at this point anyways if it is a daily driven vehicle. I get them rebalanced 3-4 times a year whenever I have my tires rotated since its free of charge. I also get at least two alignments a year at a minimum as it just helps the car drive smoother.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Spending money on rebalancing is no problem. I just don't want to deal with weights falling off again. Just because it's a specialized shop it does not mean that those who work there know what they are doing. I have an alignment guy who I trust and know he is not gonna fuck up my car. But most shops fix one thing and fuck up elsewhere in the process. That's main reason I do diy a lot. Not to save few $.
Also have small clearance between brake caliper and the rim. So if weights are in the middle.. or inside of the rim that would help. It's not exact opposite of the valve and tpms sensor..
Find a better shop to balance them. If they fell off they were cheap weights and or the wheel wasnt cleaned properly. I havent to this day in 750k+ miles of using them, had one of those stick on weights come off and that is including track days where my rotors are glowing red, speeds over 160, snow/rain -30deg weather. Getting the left over adhesive off after removing them can be a pain sometimes though.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
your tech didn't clean the area of the wheel that the weights needed to go on...
Old 12-22-2016, 04:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
exactly this. I have never had an issue were a weight came off but then again I clean my rims inside and out so dirt does not accumulate on them.