Audi Streets of Tomorrow (driving event)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vidhartha
oh so thats what it was!!! i drove by belmont park today and seen the audis drivin around, was like what the?? had to park and look for a bit, wish i knew abt this before... im jealous
It's been my experience that you could've just walked in and signed up. These aren't usually closed events; they like pre-reg to know roughly how many folks to expect.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm still mad about this. false fucking advertising.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone print out the page that says:

"The performance course will be a timed course using the Race America computerized timing system. Approximately 1/3 mile long and not unlike a small road race track, you will be able to push the all-new 2007 RS 4 close to the limit, experiencing the all-around handling and performance of the engine, brakes, and suspension — the awesome performance of the Audi."
and see what they have to say about that when they tell you you can't drive it
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
It's been my experience that you could've just walked in and signed up. These aren't usually closed events; they like pre-reg to know roughly how many folks to expect.
The BMW and MB events I have gone to had similar arrangements for walk ins.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
So, I attended the event today in Chester PA and I have to say that it was fun.

Q7:
The new Q7 is one of the nicest SUVs I have had the opportunity to drive and found it MUCH more likeable than the X5. Audi only had the 4.2L V8 models available for test drives (not that I would want to test drive a 3.6L V6 in a 5,000lb vehicle but it would have provided some perspective). While the performance did not overwhelm, it also did not underwhelm. In general felt a little slower than the X5 4.4 and measurably (and understandably) slower than more car based (crossover) SUVs like the RX400h and FX35. NOTE: Its exhaust note sounded VERY similar to that of the BMW 645i.

Performance aside, the Q7 is definitely an SUV I could easily live with day to day. The ergonomics are extremely well thought out, the interior materials are top notch and the panoramic sunroof is awesome. The only hangup I have with the rear/second row seating where it is a bit tight in the shoulder area when sitting three abreast.

This SUV will definitely rank among the best in its class (which includes the X5, GX470 and XC90). Although no price was divuldged, I imagine it will priced in line with its competitors.

RS4:
MUCH to my chagrin, we were not able to drive the RS4 ourself. However, we were allowed to ride along with the Audi drivers available. That said, the thing is definitely a rocket ship and has grunt of a muscle car with the finesse of a the typical German sports sedan. That said, I am not certain that I would be willing to pay $66k ($71k w/premium pkg) for it. I would like to have seen an S4 ($54k loaded) there for comparison....for some reason I tend to doubt that the RS4 is worth the $17k premium over a loaded S4 but .

A8:
Although a bit understated in appearance, the A8 is a sweet luxury sedan that probably wont appeal as much to its intended target demographic as the 745i and S class but it is worthy of consideration IMHO. (Come to think of it, I have been seeing more new A8s around Somerset county than previous generations.)

A3:
I tried this out only because there was no line for it. I came away a LOT more impressed with it than I thought I would. A few of the magazines posted numbers that were "meh" but, it definitely felt as quick as my 02 Maxima (even with its current mods). Based on my SOTP feel, I would say that this car is possibly capable of mid-14 second ETs with a great driver. (IMHO, this could be a beast with some performance mods.) Although I have grown beyond this segment, I would not mind test driving a Jetta GLI just to see how it compares.

Audi Event:
The staff at the event was the most hospitable I have ever encountered at any of these types of events. They really wanted us to have a great time not only enjoying the Audi vehicles but also enjoying the food (i.e.: wontons, philly cheesesteak sandwiches, smoked salmon, fruit salad, and an assortment of terrific oriental dishes), massages, string quartet ensemble and a number of other nice touches at the event. All in all, I found this event to be even more upscale than the MB, BMW and Lexus events I have attended over the last year. Icing on the cake: it was not crowded at all.

Audi Event location:
As for the event itself, it was in a unique location in Chester, Pa. as it resided in the former Chester Electrical Generating Station. The building itself is a picture of contrasts: on one hand, you are hard pressed to forget the original function of the building; on the other hand, an ultra modern corporate complex resides throughout the entire building.

Sorry to be long winded but it was a terrific event that I encourage folks to participate in if at all possible.

Last edited by F23A4; 05-13-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
im gonna go but i plan on keying the rs4 if i cant drive it.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really feeling that RS 4 for the price man. it starts at 66 grand MSRP. I'd take a Volvo S60R which starts at 40 grand MSRP. even if you dressed it up with 5 grand in options. you could dump a larger turbo and intercooler and some other crap for 20 grand in go fast "goodies" you'd be equal to a RS 4. plus I think the S60 R just looks more "edgey" and more exciting.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:41 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I missed my slot yesterday in Dallas, then rescheduled for today in Dallas but didn;t get u pin ttime (8am!) Did anyone attend in Dallas? Care to review for those who missed out?