Attention Cobra owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Attention Cobra owners...

I'd hate for this to happen to any driver

WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday that it was recalling nearly 20,000 Mustang Cobra sports cars after receiving complaints that the back of the accelerator pedal could become caught in the floor carpeting and lead to a crash.
ADVERTISEMENT

Ford told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in late January that it had received about 100 complaints and allegations of two crashes and one injury. The recall affects 19,140 Mustang Cobras from the 2003 and 2004 model years.

Continued....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411/...stang_recall_3
Old 04-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I knew it was only a matter of time.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:38 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I knew it was only a matter of time.

seems pretty minor, don't know what exactly was a matter of time. I bet it's more a result of owners pushing the carpet up.

100 complaints, 2 crashes and 1 injury out of 20K cars? Seems they are doing a lot better then acura did w/ the tranny situation. What that only took 3 years and about 10,000 complaints not to mention all the accidents?

edit: and kuodos to ford for actually taking action on this and not doing what many other manufacturers have done w/ more dangerous problems (cough acura cough) and letting them slide even after they have gotten media coverage.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by CLpower
seems pretty minor, don't know what exactly was a matter of time. I bet it's more a result of owners pushing the carpet up.

100 complaints, 2 crashes and 1 injury out of 20K cars? Seems they are doing a lot better then acura did w/ the tranny situation. What that only took 3 years and about 10,000 complaints not to mention all the accidents?
...how much do you estimate that sets back ford?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
not much at all I bet, sounds like they just alter the carpet a little
Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Couldnt have said it better myself, even if I tried...
Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
All they do is cut the carpet....whats the big deal? I'll get it done when I get my next oil change.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I bet all the complaints and the 2 crashes were from women!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Speed Freak!

Actually if you search around there is a video of a 600rwhp KB Cobra that spins into traffic because of it....
Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Got-Busa?
Actually if you search around there is a video of a 600rwhp KB Cobra that spins into traffic because of it....
Thats what the driver said, just to cover up his inability to drive
Old 04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Dragging knees in

edit: and kuodos to ford for actually taking action on this and not doing what many other manufacturers have done w/ more dangerous problems (cough acura cough) and letting them slide even after they have gotten media coverage.
It was only a matter of time before another Ford/SVT got recalled for something stupid.

And if you want to go that route of argument... even with a SINGLE complaint and a failure of the second gear shaft problem, Acura performed a recall and installed oil jets on all affected vehicles.

I know what you're going to say next and I agree; they still haven't done shit for the 3rd gear problem. Then again, what about Ford? You forget to mention the gas tank explosion problem on the Mustang and the Crown Victoria which, proved by Ford's internal documents, was deemed cheaper to pay claims on a case-by-case basis than recalling all affected vehicles. And there's also the doors being jammed in their convertible Mustang model. Ford was quoted saying that in case of an accident that jams the doors, the occupants should climb out the top. Well, one lady was rear-ended in her 'vert 'Stang and the gas tank exploded. The top was up. She burned to death. And a number of police officers have died in explosions when the gas tanks blew on their Interceptors in rear-end collisions.

Same thing with Acura. I'm sure they've done their own cost benefit analysis and deemed it cheaper to just pay 3rd gear transmission-related claims on a case-by-case basis rather than recalling all affected vehicles.

Don't make Ford sound like a company that does everything right by the book. I've heard of lives being lost because of faults in their vehicles (how many Acura drivers lost their lives because of the tranny problem?), and the majority of their production line-up has a lot of faults and Ford, in general, has more recalls than other major auto manufacturers.

Bottom line, I said what I said, because the Mustang, and Ford overall, has had a lot of recalls in the past. Most memorable(??) in the recent past, the '99-'00 Cobra which had the exhaust problem. It caused a production halt which ultimately caused a vacancy on their SVT line-up for 2001. I knew something was going to be recalled on the '03+ Cobra, and it was just a matter of time.

Yes, recalls happen all the time. It could be something as minor as a trim piece that wouldn't stay in place because of a design flaw. My point is that Ford is more prone to recalls from minor to more serious issues. And there are issues that Ford refuses to address due to an unfavorable cost-benefit analysis where numbers control human lives.

I can already hear the Ford-faithfuls stampeding to this thread.

P.S. I'm not defending Acura. You brought that up, and I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Acura is irresponsible for not addressing the 3rd gear problem, just as much as Ford failing to address the above mentioned issues, all of which directly affect the safety of the occupants. Looking at the big picture, every company is the same to a certain extent, and that's just the way of doing business.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Sorry, I was around in late 2000 early 2001 when we had hundreds of people complaining to acura about the tranny problem, including news agencys and newspapers writing articles about the tranny situation and acura wasn't doing shit. Even when the media was reporting on how the situation was causing serious accidents ( I can think of one member that causes a MULTI car pileup on the freeway w/ more then a few injuries, do to his problem). It took over a year for them to finally address the issue, this was even after some of our members were forced to pay out of pocket for transmisson repairs because their local acura dealers attributed the blow up to abuse. Also, last I checked trannies were still blowing up, the new accord and odyssey are a good example.

For the record, I still find your initial post retarded. If you could comprehend you would notice I'm not at all saying ford is exempt from their fair share of problems.

Most of the generalized statements you made about ford apply to every single manufacturer out there. I am anything but a ford faithfull.

BTW, just curious, do you know what the exhaust recall on the 99-00 cobra's was? while you look it up
Old 04-12-2006, 04:16 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
at least they didnt pull a honda and recall the new civics for the exact same problem less than a month after it was released...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:23 PM
teh Senior Instigator

zing
Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a 2 minute fix....not a trans explosion and a tow truck ride to follow.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Old 04-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Dragging knees in

Sorry, I was around in late 2000 early 2001 when we had hundreds of people complaining to acura about the tranny problem, including news agencys and newspapers writing articles about the tranny situation and acura wasn't doing shit. Even when the media was reporting on how the situation was causing serious accidents ( I can think of one member that causes a MULTI car pileup on the freeway w/ more then a few injuries, do to his problem). It took over a year for them to finally address the issue, this was even after some of our members were forced to pay out of pocket for transmisson repairs because their local acura dealers attributed the blow up to abuse. Also, last I checked trannies were still blowing up, the new accord and odyssey are a good example.
And like I said, Mustangs and Crown Vics are still blowing gas tanks. What's your point?

I've gone through a blown transmission myself and almost got clipped by a car behind me while going 80 on the highway. It's not like I'm defending Acura and I find their lack of action irresponsible and ridiculous... all of which I've already stated in my previous post. Why are you telling me things I already know?

For the record, I still find your initial post retarded. If you could comprehend you would notice I'm not at all saying ford is exempt from their fair share of problems.
Oh, please. You said kudos to Ford for actually taking care of a problem unlike Acura. You made it sound like Ford actually takes care of all of their problems right by the book, whereas Acura doesn't. Either way, I don't want to turn this into a Ford vs. Acura argument.

Most of the generalized statements you made about ford apply to every single manufacturer out there. I am anything but a ford faithfull.
I wasn't referring to you. And I already said that's the way it is with every auto manufacturer, to an extent. Stop rephrasing what I said.

BTW, just curious, do you know what the exhaust recall on the 99-00 cobra's was? while you look it up
I don't need to look it up. Between the prototype testing phase and production, they rerouted the exhaust system, which caused a loss of power. Ford/SVT didn't test their new exhaust design and put it into production in a haste. It was too restrictive. Then Cobra owners started complaining that their cars weren't putting down enough power as advertised, so every '99-'00 Cobra was recalled and had a new exhaust system installed.

Stop acting like you know everything and others don't know anything. Your arrogance is obvious in your statement like " while you look it up".
Old 04-12-2006, 05:41 PM
_____ like a rabbit

rag time?^^
Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
uu
Burning Brakes

man, wish Acura is that pro-active on taking measure against our notorious 5-speed transmission failtures...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by uu
man, wish Acura is that pro-active on taking measure against our notorious 5-speed transmission failtures...

or the 3 - 4 speeds I went to but they never admitted there was a problem w/ the 97-99 3.0's
Old 04-12-2006, 09:40 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its carpet, why is this a big deal?

If an owner is so dumb or negligent that they cant see that their carpet is getting close to the pedal then maybe they should be a little more thourough with their montoring of their car.

People nowadays expect that they can drive a car off the lot and not even look at it till 100k and have no problems. Its called mass production for a reason, and you cant expect a flawless car.

In my eperience the local Ford dealer took care of every problem I had with my taurus quickly and correctly. The three Acura dealers i've been to have all been chock full of tards that dont ever fix anything 100%. I know I know different argument, but still.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
teh Senior Instigator

This is my view on you trying to bring SVT into the mix, it's ignorant to bring in a recall that had no affect on safety and was strictly because the car was down on 10HP
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Eh, it's a matter of time before extinction for ford.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Dragging knees in

This is my view on you trying to bring SVT into the mix, it's ignorant to bring in a recall that had no affect on safety and was strictly because the car was down on 10HP
Wow, you really need to learn how to debate better.

You just conveniently forgot to talk about the more serious problems that I focused on, i.e. the fuel tank explosion and jammed door problems which Ford refuses to perform recalls for.

That was in response to your comment on how Ford takes care of problems, whereas Acura doesn't. Yet you are just setting the main point aside, and focusing on the petty stuff like the exhaust recall. Yeah, I did mention that, but only in passing, and to back up my point on how Ford seems to have a recall on every iteration of Mustang every certain period of time (hence the reason I said it was only a matter of time, making a joke out of it). But my main point was that Ford doesn't take care of all of their problems (just like Acura, I agree on that one) like you make it seem. You're putting down Acura and praising Ford when they are virtually doing the same shit.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You just conveniently forgot to talk about the more serious problems that I focused on, i.e. the fuel tank explosion and jammed door problems which Ford refuses to perform recalls for.

That was in response to your comment on how Ford takes care of problems, whereas Acura doesn't. Yet you are just setting the main point aside, and focusing on the petty stuff like the exhaust recall. Yeah, I did mention that, but only in passing, and to back up my point on how Ford seems to have a recall on every iteration of Mustang every certain period of time (hence the reason I said it was only a matter of time, making a joke out of it). But my main point was that Ford doesn't take care of all of their problems (just like Acura, I agree on that one) like you make it seem. You're putting down Acura and praising Ford when they are virtually doing the same shit.
This is just from someone not involved in this, looking outside of the box so to say. You started all this with your "BWAAAAHHHAAA" over the carpet recall. Now you are forcing the issue of gas tank explosions. If you have an issue with gas tank explosions why don't you start a thread on gas tank explosions? The issue of the carpet seems very minor.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by stangg172004
rag time?^^

Hes a master debater. So is CLPOWER.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And like I said, Mustangs and Crown Vics are still blowing gas tanks. What's your point?

I've gone through a blown transmission myself and almost got clipped by a car behind me while going 80 on the highway. It's not like I'm defending Acura and I find their lack of action irresponsible and ridiculous... all of which I've already stated in my previous post. Why are you telling me things I already know?

Oh, please. You said kudos to Ford for actually taking care of a problem unlike Acura. You made it sound like Ford actually takes care of all of their problems right by the book, whereas Acura doesn't. Either way, I don't want to turn this into a Ford vs. Acura argument.

I wasn't referring to you. And I already said that's the way it is with every auto manufacturer, to an extent. Stop rephrasing what I said.

I don't need to look it up. Between the prototype testing phase and production, they rerouted the exhaust system, which caused a loss of power. Ford/SVT didn't test their new exhaust design and put it into production in a haste. It was too restrictive. Then Cobra owners started complaining that their cars weren't putting down enough power as advertised, so every '99-'00 Cobra was recalled and had a new exhaust system installed.

Stop acting like you know everything and others don't know anything. Your arrogance is obvious in your statement like " while you look it up".

Were you absent the 3 years Acura sat on their ass with people blowing the transmissions? did you take a mental vacation?

And did you miss them using the same faulty trans on the new TL when it 1st came out. *knowing* it has issues... LOL

And now your talking about a restrictive exhaust system?!?!?

sorry I'll take a TSB to cut my carpet or a restrictive exhaust over a faulty POS tranmissions and company that took YEARS to stick a bandaid on the problem... not to mention used it on new vehciles KNOWING it was a lemon...

Your analogies are ludicris...
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edr0e
Hes a master debater. So is CLPOWER.

The funny thing about debate is you can be 100% wrong and still be trying to prove your right....

And some think that "he who yells loudest is correct"
Old 04-13-2006, 07:19 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by SiGGy

he doesn't?

Old 04-13-2006, 07:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

I thought your initial argument had to do w/ SVT Specifically

Show me the last time Acura didn't have some sort of recall on one of their cars. or any manufacturer. maybe i'm praising ford because they only took 100 complaints to fix a problem while Acura took years and THOUSANDS of complaints to even begin to address a faulty tranny

I was simply pointing out that the last big ford recall you can think of was 5 years ago and didn't involve anything that had to do w/ safety. Reality is as we've both stated both companies have their faults. I still give kuodo's to ford for fixing the issue and a big to acura who is STILL having transmission problems and vitually saying "shit happens", while many of their customers are still paying out of pocket for their known problems.

I'm suprised you didn't bring up the fact Ford just recalled 150K SUV's

I praise any company that performs a recall, shit happens, sometimes problems don't air out for sometime, but big respect to them IMO for stepping up and fixing problems as opposed to forgetting them and brushing them off. Regardless I still find your initial post absolutely retarded. But I'm no longer suprised by your actions.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Dragging knees in

Were you absent the 3 years Acura sat on their ass with people blowing the transmissions? did you take a mental vacation?

And did you miss them using the same faulty trans on the new TL when it 1st came out. *knowing* it has issues... LOL

And now your talking about a restrictive exhaust system?!?!?

sorry I'll take a TSB to cut my carpet or a restrictive exhaust over a faulty POS tranmissions and company that took YEARS to stick a bandaid on the problem... not to mention used it on new vehciles KNOWING it was a lemon...

Your analogies are ludicris...
Do you have reading comprehension problems? I've already stated on more than one occasion that I blame Acura for not taking action on the transmission issue. Ii am NOT defending Acura here.

I wasn't comparing a restrictive exhaust system to Acura's transmission problem. For that, I used as an example the fuel tank and door problems which Ford refuses to address. I've already gone over this, and you're just not understanding what I'm saying. The fuel tank and the door problems are far more serious than the transmission problem, because many people have actually lost their lives in horrific explosions. They burned to death. Your arguments are failing to address all issues on hand; just the ones that are favorable to you. I never compared the exhaust problem to the transmission issue. Read it again.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Dragging knees in

I thought your initial argument had to do w/ SVT Specifically

Show me the last time Acura didn't have some sort of recall on one of their cars. or any manufacturer. maybe i'm praising ford because they only took 100 complaints to fix a problem while Acura took years and THOUSANDS of complaints to even begin to address a faulty tranny

I was simply pointing out that the last big ford recall you can think of was 5 years ago and didn't involve anything that had to do w/ safety. Reality is as we've both stated both companies have their faults. I still give kuodo's to ford for fixing the issue and a big to acura who is STILL having transmission problems and vitually saying "shit happens", while many of their customers are still paying out of pocket for their known problems.

I'm suprised you didn't bring up the fact Ford just recalled 150K SUV's

I praise any company that performs a recall, shit happens, sometimes problems don't air out for sometime, but big respect to them IMO for stepping up and fixing problems as opposed to forgetting them and brushing them off. Regardless I still find your initial post absolutely retarded. But I'm no longer suprised by your actions.
Once again, Ford isn't addressing two issues that most people would consider far more serious than a transmission failure. That's my point.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Have I said anything different anywhere? I wouldn't consider them more serious then the tranny failure, both are serious life threatening problems. W/ that said, atleast ford didn't continue producing the vehicle knowing there was already a problem. I think it'd be interesting to really see how many accidents and deaths have been caused by the tranny issue. Because as mentioned, there have been more then a few accidents on this board alone due to it.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Dragging knees in

The funny thing about debate is you can be 100% wrong and still be trying to prove your right....

Yeah, and when we had that debate a while back regarding the picture of a kid having his arm run over by a truck, CLpower called me "a piece of shit". He didn't understand me correctly, and in the end, numerous people chimed in to tell him, and a number of other people, that he was misunderstanding me. When one resorts to name calling in a conversation, that's what constitutes "he who yells loudest is correct." I never called anyone names, I never typed in a manner that would be considered yelling, and I think I stated my points in a fairly understandable manner, both in this thread and the other one I mentioned above.

Just like he and you seem to be misunderstanding me now. Read my posts again. Things you accuse of Acura, I agree with you. My statements that you call ludcrious, you didn't understand correctly.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Dragging knees in

Have I said anything different anywhere? I wouldn't consider them more serious then the tranny failure, both are serious life threatening problems. W/ that said, atleast ford didn't continue producing the vehicle knowing there was already a problem. I think it'd be interesting to really see how many accidents and deaths have been caused by the tranny issue. Because as mentioned, there have been more then a few accidents on this board alone due to it.
The Mustang fuel tank problem was publicized in the late 90's. Ford continued to produce the same Mustang until 2005. And the Crown Victoria still continues to be in production today. Am I missing something here?

How many lives have been lost due to the transmission problem, FOR SURE? And I mean documented and publicized deaths that were directly blamed on the problem we're talking about.

Now how many deaths have been documented and publicly blamed on the design flaws of the gas tank design on the 'Stang and the Vic? I don't have the numbers off hand, but with a little bit of searching around online, I'm sure I can find a number of them. I remember reading about these issues from years back, and I read about cops burning to death in explosions, and like I've already used as an example, the lady who burned to death in her 'vert 'Stang that exploded in an accident and the door was jammed. But I haven't heard of anyone being killed by the transmission problem. Accidents, yes. I almost had one because of that, too. Believe me, I know how it feels. But you're saying you don't consider the deadly gas tank problem any more serious than a tranny problem that caused "mere" accidents? I guess our opinions simply differ on the matter, then. I'd rather have a transmission problem (I've already been through it and almost had a high-speed accident) than an exploding gas tank.

Both companies are at fault for not addressing their respective problems. What I don't understand from you is how you can praise Ford for taking care of problems, when they do the same thing that you are accusing of Acura.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

You are misunderstanding me, when acura takes care of their problems, I praise them. The last paragraph in post # 30 must have confused you