Anyone Have Experience with Jeep CG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Anyone Have Experience with Jeep CG?

So the time has come to start looking for replacements for my TL-S. I've looked at 17 Accords, 14-15 q50, and 14-15 Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Really fallen in love with the Jeep but wondered if anyone has had any experience with them and can offer up some details on how they've been to live with. The 2 that I'm look at are a 14 Limited 4x4 but it doesn't have the air suspension, and a 14 Limited 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi. Both have about 35k miles.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
A relative owns a 2011 Jeep GC Limited with the 5.7 Hemi and is absolutely in love with it. I don't have any experience with this latest facelift model, however I will tell you that you should try and swing for the 2014+ models, and then try and get the latest year you can afford. 2014 brought with it a TON of VERY VERY important changes like the 8 speed auto, digital dash, better audio, 8.4" Uconnect nav, paddle shifters, more upscale exterior and wheels...etc. But if you can get a 2015, go for that. They would have worked out a lot of bugs by then because 2014 was a significant change so aim for the latest build possible.

The AWD system in the GC is a really good one as well, I wouldn't even look at a Jeep GC 4X2 personally. Now in terms of the quadra-lift air suspension. I know they had a lot of issues with the early 2011's. But I think they worked it out by 2012 onwards. I owned a 2004 Touareg with the air suspension package and it was AMAZING, the most comfortable ride I have ever had. Felt like a cloud honestly.

I can't remember which review I read one time but they said that the 2014 models with the 8 speed and V6 were faster 0-60 than the 2011-2013 models with the 5.7 and 5 speed. So I would even give the V6 a look if it had better features.

Let us know what you do. I love the GC.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
We've had our JGC Limited since 2014. Bought it new. It's a solid vehicle. The only problem we've had out of it in 3 years is that the sunroof sometimes would not closes properly. It appears to be a limit switch issue. There is a youtube video on how to fix it yourself. Ours hasn't done it in 6 or so months. I believe the dealership fixed it for good.

I can't say enough about how good this vehicle is. From the UConnect infotainment system, which imo is the industry standard, to the exterior design. The leather has held up remarkably well (we have two kids) and the other interior appointments are a plus. Things like heated steering wheel and rear seats which also recline.

We have the V6. It isn't a hemi but it has more than ample power. The ZF 8 speed tranny is as good as everyone says it is. I also like the turning radius of the vehicle. It's shorter than you might expect for that size of a vehicle. Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. All in all I'd recommend the JGC as our experience with the vehicle is mostly positive.

The one thing I do not like about owning this vehicle is the dealerships. We have two dealerships in reasonable driving distances. One flat out sucks. The other is okay at best and always too busy. In fact, the only thing that will prevent us from buying another 5 Star Motors car is the service experience.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
What these guys said. My 2014 Durango is basically just a jgc with a longer wheelbase. It's been solid. Love it.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Our lab manager here in my office is on her 2nd or 3rd. mid-trim level V6 2WDs, but she's never really had any issues with them.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the info. Probably going to take a look at the 4x4 one tomorrow after work and see how it is. The 5 star dealer in town doesn't have any used ones with okay miles so the only ones I've driven or looked at that were similarly equipped were brand new and I'm sure there were some minor changes between the years.

What is it about the dealers that you don't like? We've only got 1 5 star in town so I'll pretty much be stuck going there if I go the JGC route.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by rossv1
What is it about the dealers that you don't like? We've only got 1 5 star in town so I'll pretty much be stuck going there if I go the JGC route.
I'll preface my comments by saying that I am a bit biased because I am used to the level of service provided by Infiniti and BMW. Infiniti being good. BMW being outstanding. I thought we were ready for the reality of "not fantastic" service. We weren't.

My major complain with the first dealership is that they... how do I put it? The Service Writers have the customer service chops of a DMV clerk (no offense if anyone is a DMV clerk ) In addition to that, every time my wife goes in by herself they try to pull the age-old trick of "tell a woman that she needs more services than she actually needs". She calls me to tell me what they said and I just shake my head and tell her to say no thank you. Crooks. They also overcharged us for minor items before. I can't really prove that because their rate is their rate, but how long a minor job took is very questionable.

The second dealership, which is larger and nicer is always too busy. Even if you have an appointment you still have to wait in a line of cars 10-15 deep to get a Service Writer to acknowledge your existence. I don't think that you must own an upper tier car brand to get good service. We've also owned Mazdas and the service was always great. With Jeep selling $40K, $50K, and $60K vehicles it's time for them to step up their game.

Also, having no option for a loaner is huge for us because of our on-the-go schedules. That's been challenging (#firstworldproblems).
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Rooting for Acura

Also, I did a short-term (1 day) and long-term review (1 year) in this thread.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-tal...-906223/page2/

post 48: Short-term
post 67: Long-term
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Drove the V6 4x4 yesterday. Drive great and the interior was nice. Only things wrong or that I didn't like were that it has about a 2 inch long deeeeep scratch on the hood, a slight rattle from the rear tailgate, or whatever it's called on a SUV, and no power passenger seat. The rattle isn't a big deal as is the power passenger seat. Only driven new ones before this so it could have been a feature added for later MYs. The scratch was an issue as was the fact they wouldn't haggle on price at all. Lol

i can get one with less miles and same appointments in Atlanta for $1k cheaper. How this dealer wouldn't come down on price boggles my mind. Lol
Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Drove the V6 4x4 yesterday. Drive great and the interior was nice. Only things wrong or that I didn't like were that it has about a 2 inch long deeeeep scratch on the hood, a slight rattle from the rear tailgate, or whatever it's called on a SUV, and no power passenger seat. The rattle isn't a big deal as is the power passenger seat. Only driven new ones before this so it could have been a feature added for later MYs. The scratch was an issue as was the fact they wouldn't haggle on price at all. Lol

i can get one with less miles and same appointments in Atlanta for $1k cheaper. How this dealer wouldn't come down on price boggles my mind. Lol
I can't stand dealers that are like that. Where I live most dealers are obnoxious about price and the whole "can't go lower because we bought it for that price" bullshit. Give me a flipping break. Go look elsewhere and don't even let them have the honour of ypur buisness. Was the V6 air suspended at all? You owe it to yourself to try one with air suspension.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Tell me about it. They originally showed me a price 4K higher. I asked why they were trying to to get me to pay that as opposed to the internet price I showed them when I sat down. "Oh our mistake...." lol. Riiiiiight. Internet price was still 1k higher. They ask what they'd have to do to earn my business? How about not try to make me pay 1 grand higher than the exact same car with lower miles an hour away.....

and i I haven't driven one with the air suspension. There aren't used ones around here with it, only new which are out of what I'm going to pay. My buddy has an avalanche with air suspension in the rear and he's had problems with it, so I can just imagine what it would cost to fix on the GC if it went haywire.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Tell me about it. They originally showed me a price 4K higher. I asked why they were trying to to get me to pay that as opposed to the internet price I showed them when I sat down. "Oh our mistake...." lol. Riiiiiight. Internet price was still 1k higher. They ask what they'd have to do to earn my business? How about not try to make me pay 1 grand higher than the exact same car with lower miles an hour away.....

and i I haven't driven one with the air suspension. There aren't used ones around here with it, only new which are out of what I'm going to pay. My buddy has an avalanche with air suspension in the rear and he's had problems with it, so I can just imagine what it would cost to fix on the GC if it went haywire.
That aggravates me so much. Moves like that are what earns dealers their reputation as sleezy and slimey. Good for you for not letting those POS trick you.

I hear you on the air suspension, and I admit it is a bit scary in some regards. However a few things to note, the first is that the air suspension in the avalanche is notorious for issues, very few issues reported for 2012/2013+ GC models, and lastly the air suspension in the GC is VERY unique when it comes to air suspension systems. Most systems use air from outside the car that they store in a pressurized tank and recharge the tank whenever it gets too low automatically but the Grand Cherokee's system has a completely closed system that uses nitrogen in a tank which is stored and that same gas is recycled. Of course I only put air suspension in high regard because of my amazing experience with my Touareg however on that same token, if you're happy with the ride and handling of the standard suspension, then there is no need for the air suspension. I know in the Touaregs case, it was WAY too floaty and body roll was excessive without the air suspension package so that's why I really wanted it.

Regardless of what packages or options you get, the difference between the 2011-2013 and 2014+ models is HUGE and if I was between a fully loaded overland summit 2013 and a 2014 limited or even laredo with a couple option packages, I would EASILY go for the 2014 model. I can't believe how much improved the 2014+ models are.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MTEAZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fs5M8GuvcU
Old 07-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Looks like the jeep would still run after that vid Mteazy posted. Acura/Honda's glass transmission would've shattered all over the ground on the landing. lol

Definitely wouldn't go with one before the MMY design. A friend used to have a 2011? GC and while it was nice, I think the updated version is leaps and bounds ahead. I would like to drive one with the air suspension just to try it. Although I feel like I may like it too much and add it to another list of my must haves. I was happy with the ride quality of the standard suspension.

Last edited by rossv1; 07-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Had a V6 GC for about 3-4 months and at least 3500 miles while waiting for the airbag recall, it was a 2015 limited model. It's a great SUV! Not as sporty as the MDX but it does have more grunt on the highway for passing. The 8spd auto was fantastic and MPG wasn't bad at all. Headlights were great, seats super comfy plenty of tech (esp the remote start option). Only 3 downsides for me:

1. Confusing Steering Wheel buttons on the front and rear
2. Radio didn't sound that great
3. SOFT SUSPENSION (This thing was way to soft for me!) That probably explains the moose test.

I'd totally buy one for my folks or recommend it to a friend. Not sure about longevity but I see a ton of them around here.

Also take a peek at the explorer, it's a great SUV
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by csmeance
Had a V6 GC for about 3-4 months and at least 3500 miles while waiting for the airbag recall, it was a 2015 limited model. It's a great SUV! Not as sporty as the MDX but it does have more grunt on the highway for passing. The 8spd auto was fantastic and MPG wasn't bad at all. Headlights were great, seats super comfy plenty of tech (esp the remote start option). Only 3 downsides for me:

1. Confusing Steering Wheel buttons on the front and rear
2. Radio didn't sound that great
3. SOFT SUSPENSION (This thing was way to soft for me!) That probably explains the moose test.

I'd totally buy one for my folks or recommend it to a friend. Not sure about longevity but I see a ton of them around here.

Also take a peek at the explorer, it's a great SUV

1) How in the hell were the steering wheels buttons confusing. They are the BEST layout on any vehicle ever, all the Dodge/Chry/Jeep have it. You ALWAYS get to have both hands on the wheel and naturally control everything. Every button is exactly where you think it should be. And its great for one handed operation (if you drive with your left)

The ONE big thing I miss most when I drive my wife's car is the steering wheel layout.

2) Cant argue that one, I have an upgraded sound sys.

3)If memory serves the "moose test" was software that has long since been updated.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

The only thing about the steering wheel I didn't like were the buttons on the back below the paddles. I would have rather had a full paddle shifter instead of it just being a half paddle at the top. It's not like I'm going to be racing people at stoplights so I don't really care that much.

What have you upgraded on the sound system? Full deal or just sub?

The one thing about the truck is I can't find anyone that has/had one that doesn't like it.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 PM
The Third Ball

The only thing about the steering wheel I didn't like were the buttons on the back below the paddles. I would have rather had a full paddle shifter instead of it just being a half paddle at the top. It's not like I'm going to be racing people at stoplights so I don't really care that much.

The one thing about the truck is I can't find anyone that has/had one that doesn't like it.
those buttons on the back are the best thing ever. Trust me, you'll grow to love them. They are the most naturally placed steering wheel buttons. I use them ALL the time. And they don't interfere with the paddle shifters which I also use a lot.

Dont forget. I have a Durango so different options but it's the full system with sub. I think it's Kenwood. They switched to beats the following year.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Looks like the jeep would still run after that vid Mteazy posted. Acura/Honda's glass transmission would've shattered all over the ground on the landing. lol

Definitely wouldn't go with one before the MMY design. A friend used to have a 2011? GC and while it was nice, I think the updated version is leaps and bounds ahead. I would like to drive one with the air suspension just to try it. Although I feel like I may like it too much and add it to another list of my must haves. I was happy with the ride quality of the standard suspension.
I don't know why my link didn't work. I'll try reposting in the morning (or simply google 2014 Jeep GC moose test) and the video will come up. While the 2011-2013 model failed the test severely. The 2014+ model passed the test perfectly. So this is a non issue right now. But I agree, the soft suspension is the reason the older model handled so poorly. By the way I recommend you joing the Jeep forum and ask around for opinions. IMHO I think people love their GC's because it's basically a bargain range rover. Same capability, not same quality but similar luxury...etc. I consider it the American Range Rover!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Rooting for Acura

Originally Posted by RDX10
I don't know why my link didn't work. I'll try reposting in the morning (or simply google 2014 Jeep GC moose test) and the video will come up. While the 2011-2013 model failed the test severely. The 2014+ model passed the test perfectly. So this is a non issue right now.
RDX10 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by knight rider
Thank you! I don't know why lnks don't work on mobile for me even when I replace the "m." with "www."
Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
1) How in the hell were the steering wheels buttons confusing. They are the BEST layout on any vehicle ever, all the Dodge/Chry/Jeep have it. You ALWAYS get to have both hands on the wheel and naturally control everything. Every button is exactly where you think it should be. And its great for one handed operation (if you drive with your left)

The ONE big thing I miss most when I drive my wife's car is the steering wheel layout.

3)If memory serves the "moose test" was software that has long since been updated.

The rear buttons on the wheel were something new to me and I kept forgetting what buttons operated what. Even after a few weeks it didn't feel natural to me, but to each their own! I found myself accidently pressing the downshift paddle on my 760 trying to change the song for the first few days when I was switching around since the button is in the exact same spot.

I found the sound system in the limited I had to be very bass heavy so an audio processor might be on the list of additions if you get one to fix the equalization of the factory radio.

Also forgot to mention that the trunk space is great, however the trim on the floor of the rental was pretty scratched up for only having 5K miles on it. Cargo mat is a def buy!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
I rented brand new 16 Limited 4WD last year for our snow trip and we loved it. It only had 7 miles when we got it, and I think we ended up putting 300 on it. Lots of tech, the panoramic roof was nice, as were the cooled seats. As others said, the lights are great and the fuel mileage was pretty decent. Power from the V6 was plentiful, and it drove like a smaller suv.

if I were in the market for a go anywhere 4WD suv, it would be my top choice next to the 4runner.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by csmeance
The rear buttons on the wheel were something new to me and I kept forgetting what buttons operated what. Even after a few weeks it didn't feel natural to me, but to each their own! I found myself accidently pressing the downshift paddle on my 760 trying to change the song for the first few days when I was switching around since the button is in the exact same spot.

I found the sound system in the limited I had to be very bass heavy so an audio processor might be on the list of additions if you get one to fix the equalization of the factory radio.

Also forgot to mention that the trunk space is great, however the trim on the floor of the rental was pretty scratched up for only having 5K miles on it. Cargo mat is a def buy!
Do they still put those silver trim plates in the cargo space? IMHO they look awesome but you are correct, super prone to scratches
Old 07-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc

^ This. I love the infotainment system in all the FCA cars. It's really the best on the market. The only thing I want different is the left rocker on the back of the wheel should go up/down between presets and not seek. I'm not sure if I can change this or not but it drives me batty.

Do they still put those silver trim plates in the cargo space? IMHO they look awesome but you are correct, super prone to scratches
Yes, cargo mat will fix it. Either that or vinyl cover the strips.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
We were in the market for a new SUV to replace my wife's '08 MDX and we both have always liked the JGC. I had been shopping for a clean CPO '14-'15 JGC Overland for a while and just got frustrated. Most of the JGC's I checked out were either in rough shape (though the pictures online always looked good) or were overpriced when compared with Black Book.

We were kind of under the gun since we needed something before August because our MDX needed new tires a few other things before inspection, so I couldn't afford to keep looking around and waste more time. So we just said the hell with it and ended up pulling the trigger on a new '17 Overland which we pick up tonight. Good luck with your search
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Does your 17 overland have a HUD?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Pro

No HUD
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DarkTower19
We were in the market for a new SUV to replace my wife's '08 MDX and we both have always liked the JGC. I had been shopping for a clean CPO '14-'15 JGC Overland for a while and just got frustrated. Most of the JGC's I checked out were either in rough shape (though the pictures online always looked good) or were overpriced when compared with Black Book.

We were kind of under the gun since we needed something before August because our MDX needed new tires a few other things before inspection, so I couldn't afford to keep looking around and waste more time. So we just said the hell with it and ended up pulling the trigger on a new '17 Overland which we pick up tonight. Good luck with your search
Congratulations man! Are you going to share some pics?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Pro

Didn't want to high jack Ross's thread - hope he doesn't mind Only had it a few days, but my wife and I love it so far. I need to study the manual to figure out what all the buttons do and all the features of the Uconnect. Yesterday I had the windows tinted (not pictured), reinstalled the baby seats, and ordered a Mopar rear cargo mat. Here are some iPhone pics:

The following 3 users liked this post by DarkTower19:
RDX10 (07-13-2017), rossv1 (07-13-2017), Sarlacc (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Very nice! I'd want to swap a lot of the chrome for black or body color though
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
DarkTower19 (07-13-2017), RPhilMan1 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,827 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Didn't want to high jack Ross's thread - hope he doesn't mind Only had it a few days, but my wife and I love it so far. I need to study the manual to figure out what all the buttons do and all the features of the Uconnect. Yesterday I had the windows tinted (not pictured), reinstalled the baby seats, and ordered a Mopar rear cargo mat. Here are some iPhone pics
Congrats! Love that color, it's gorgeous. Don't need to study the manual for UConnect, it's super easy and intuitive to use since the UI is designed by Garmin. Basically, if you can read, you can use it.

Now get some weathertech mats and take it on some trails.
DarkTower19 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Didn't want to high jack Ross's thread - hope he doesn't mind Only had it a few days, but my wife and I love it so far. I need to study the manual to figure out what all the buttons do and all the features of the Uconnect. Yesterday I had the windows tinted (not pictured), reinstalled the baby seats, and ordered a Mopar rear cargo mat.
WOWZA!! Congratulations man! That looks awesome! I WAY WAY WAY prefer the overland over the summit body style. It just looks perfect to me! What interior color did you go with? Did you get the air suspension and full leather package (is that even available on overland or is that only summit?).

Thanks for sharing man, enjoy in good health.
DarkTower19 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Pro

WOWZA!! Congratulations man! That looks awesome! I WAY WAY WAY prefer the overland over the summit body style. It just looks perfect to me! What interior color did you go with? Did you get the air suspension and full leather package (is that even available on overland or is that only summit?).

Thanks for sharing man, enjoy in good health.
Thanks man! Much appreciated. It has the black leather interior....we've had either tan or gray interior in every car we've owned and we're hoping the black holds up better. Yes, the Overland's come standard with everything we were looking for on the Grand Cherokee....which also includes the Quadra-Lift air suspension, which is awesome BTW.

I didn't get to look at a Summit since the dealer we were at didn't have one, but would have been cool to see up close what the differences are. I think the Summits have more luxury features active noise control, upgraded leather/sound system, illuminated sill plates, different wheels, and more standard safety features. Would have LOVED to check out an SRT, but they didn't have any of those either. That's what I plan to pick up in a few years when the kids are out of daycare...hopefully the TL can keep chugging until then.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks man! Much appreciated. It has the black leather interior....we've had either tan or gray interior in every car we've owned and we're hoping the black holds up better. Yes, the Overland's come standard with everything we were looking for on the Grand Cherokee....which also includes the Quadra-Lift air suspension, which is awesome BTW.

I didn't get to look at a Summit since the dealer we were at didn't have one, but would have been cool to see up close what the differences are. I think the Summits have more luxury features active noise control, upgraded leather/sound system, illuminated sill plates, different wheels, and more standard safety features. Would have LOVED to check out an SRT, but they didn't have any of those either. That's what I plan to pick up in a few years when the kids are out of daycare...hopefully the TL can keep chugging until then.
IIRC the summit is just different (ugly IMHO) front and rear bumpers, 19 speaker sound system, a couple of extra safety tech items, different wheels, and I can't recall what else. I mean really I would probably buy a summit and then convert to overland external appearance just because I really want that 19 speaker system.

I had air suspension on my 2004 Touareg. Next to heated steering wheel and cooled seats it is hands down my favourite feature. It's like riding on a cloud. In the Touareg you could change the ride and handling characteristics DRASTICALLY by going from comfort to sport mode. You want luxury grand tourer? You got it! You want literal canyon carving SPORT UTILITY, You got it! I wish they would include it in even more vehicles.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
Girlfriend drives a 2011 JGC Limited V6 and loves it. I don't mind it at all either. Just keeping up on maintenance as usual it should treat you well. Just got back from Nashville a couple weeks ago with it. Performed flawlessly other than my tire patch leaking a little.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Hijack all you want. haha. The jeep looks fantastic! If I could afford one I'd look the overland or the summit.
DarkTower19 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Hijack all you want. haha. The jeep looks fantastic! If I could afford one I'd look the overland or the summit.
Lol I love OP's like you, some are so uptight in their threads.

Sidenote: Trying to get my dad into a Jeep GC at the moment.
00TL-P3.2 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Rooting for Acura

Congrats rossv1 I'm sure you'll enjoy that Summit.