Anyone else like the Genesis G70?

Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hard to believe you're talking about a 3G TL, other than a rather wide turning radius, I have no such complaints about my 3G.

I also drive a 2007 RDX a lot, so I'm used to better handling, more torque and a higher seating position. I loved driving my 3G, it was a little soft, but the 235 tires and double wishbone suspension made up for it in corners!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:26 PM
Null and proud of it

Turning radius is a god awful joke! RDX has a MUCH better turning radius and my Optima us even better than the RDX, in fact, I rarely even hit lock to lock, if ever. This is one of the reasons I jumped in so fast.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:33 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I also drive a 2007 RDX a lot, so I'm used to better handling, more torque and a higher seating position. I loved driving my 3G, it was a little soft, but the 235 tires and double wishbone suspension made up for it in corners!
Uhhh, sorry, there has never been an RDX built which has better handling than a 3G TL.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
1killercls (01-04-2019), neuronbob (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'll also vouch for the 3G TL, having owned one. That car was one of the best FWD cars ever made. It was so good that in one Car and Driver comparo with the 3-series of the time, it was complimented as holding its own pretty well. 1G RDX was great handling for a SUV....but higher center of gravity than the 3G TL means handling was inherently not as good.
The following 3 users liked this post by neuronbob:
00TL-P3.2 (12-28-2018), horseshoez (12-27-2018), nist7 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:36 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'll also vouch for the 3G TL, having owned one. That car was one of the best FWD cars ever made. It was so good that in one Car and Driver comparo with the 3-series of the time, it was complimented as holding its own pretty well. 1G RDX was great handling for a SUV....but higher center of gravity than the 3G TL means handling was inherently not as good.

Having had both at the same time, I'd say the RDX is better handling, but the TL could corner harder without the rear end kicking out.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:58 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Latent car nut

Having had both at the same time, I'd say the RDX is better handling, but the TL could corner harder without the rear end kicking out.
If the TL cornered harder, then how in the world can you come to the conclusion a 4,000 pound RDX with a high center of gravity can handle better than a 3,600 pound TL with a low center of gravity? Long story short, what you're saying defies not only simple logic but the laws of physics as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Motorweek loved it and it looks great with the sport package.

What are leases like on these things?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:40 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
Motorweek loved it and it looks great with the sport package.

What are leases like on these things?
Check here: https://genesisowners.com/genesis-fo....23940/page-13
Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
The whole time I thought this thread was about the MMC Hyundai Genesis....

Didn't know they already separated the brand...

Are they planning on having their own dealers soon?
Originally Posted by neuronbob
There's a Genesis dealer only a couple of miles from me, but they don't have a G70 in stock to test drive, and can't tell me when they'll get one.
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
:For kicks I checked online, the 4 closest Genesis dealers (co-housed with Hyundai) have a total of 5 cars, all G80s & 1 G90.
Originally Posted by LNJ
I tried to drop in to the Hyundai dealership which owns the Genesis. They store the cars in a different spot and only had used ones there. The Hyundai people told me I had to get in contact with Genesis for a test drive and that they can't sell you one and are not trained in Genesis!
So basically in Canada, Genesis is its own entity.
In the US, Genesis tried to do the same and make it more exclusive by only giving some dealers the license but the dealers and individual statea started suing them which is what caused the delay in launch!
Yeah the whole Hyundai / Genesis branding has been a bit of a nightmare with dealership network implementation. As LNJ alluded to there is an issue with Hyundai dealers getting upset about not able to sell Genesis cars and actually suing Hyundai. In the US, Hyundai has to build a new Genesis-branded dealer network it seems which is causing lots of delays of cars for 2018:

Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Yeah the whole Hyundai / Genesis branding has been a bit of a nightmare with dealership network implementation. As LNJ alluded to there is an issue with Hyundai dealers getting upset about not able to sell Genesis cars and actually suing Hyundai. In the US, Hyundai has to build a new Genesis-branded dealer network it seems which is causing lots of delays of cars for 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CiFUwk86q0
I feel like they messed up what should have been the easiest part. They stumped themselves with the whole dealer sales fiasco. They would be smart to hurry up and get this taken care of immediately.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I feel like they messed up what should have been the easiest part. They stumped themselves with the whole dealer sales fiasco. They would be smart to hurry up and get this taken care of immediately.
What makes this look even worse for Hyundai is how Honda, Toyota, and Nissan even provided them a template for how to do this properly 30+ years ago!!!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
What makes this look even worse for Hyundai is how Honda, Toyota, and Nissan even provided them a template for how to do this properly 30+ years ago!!!
Definitely. I think Hyundai's problem is that the Genesis was originally a Hyundai model. I think they should have made the shift to a Genesis side brand when the 2G Genesis G80 came out. It's strange to have what is essentially the same car badged under what is supposed to be 2 completely seperate brands
Old 12-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Null and proud of it

If the TL cornered harder, then how in the world can you come to the conclusion a 4,000 pound RDX with a high center of gravity can handle better than a 3,600 pound TL with a low center of gravity? Long story short, what you're saying defies not only simple logic but the laws of physics as well.

What I'm trying to say is that the RDX drives like a Civic, no understeer or body roll, and the TL drives like a boat, moderate understeer and lots of sway and some body roll with quick maneuvers. My TL was stock so that is why I feel this way. Never drove a TypeS or Aspec. But the RDX is weighted 48/52, has SH-AWD and pretty stiff suspension tuning, so it has very high conering limits. It will also drift if you want it to.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Latent car nut

What I'm trying to say is that the RDX drives like a Civic, no understeer or body roll, and the TL drives like a boat, moderate understeer and lots of sway and some body roll with quick maneuvers. My TL was stock so that is why I feel this way. Never drove a TypeS or Aspec. But the RDX is weighted 48/52, has SH-AWD and pretty stiff suspension tuning, so it has very high conering limits. It will also drift if you want it to.
Sorry, even your TL, which was the softest suspended of all of the 3G TLs, will obliterate the RDX in pretty much any handling environment you chose. Step it up to an older base Automatic, or an older base 6MT and the suspension gets even more capable.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 PM
Null and proud of it

Sorry, even your TL, which was the softest suspended of all of the 3G TLs, will obliterate the RDX in pretty much any handling environment you chose. Step it up to an older base Automatic, or an older base 6MT and the suspension gets even more capable.

OK... The TL has more grip... But the RDX has more control... Like a TSX vs TL...

The lower center of gravity and lesser weight in the TL allows it to fly through coners, and of course, the double wishbone suspension. TL has LOTS of grip, but it's less precise, that's all...

The TL does handle very well!
Old 12-29-2018, 10:05 PM
Latent car nut

OK... The TL has more grip... But the RDX has more control... Like a TSX vs TL...

The lower center of gravity and lesser weight in the TL allows it to fly through coners, and of course, the double wishbone suspension. TL has LOTS of grip, but it's less precise, that's all...

The TL does handle very well!
Sorry, you really need to think about what you write, there is no way the RDX has more control unless you're talking about accelerating in snow. Neither logic or physics support your conclusions. Like it or don't, believe it or not, your butt dyno needs to get recalibrated.

The only thing I can think of here is your comment about it being less precise. For starters, that is patently false, however, because the TL most likely had a sportier steering ratio (i.e. less movement to the steering wheel for any given amount of angle to the front wheels), it may have been harder for you to control as you weren't used to the faster steering response.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry, you really need to think about what you write, there is no way the RDX has more control unless you're talking about accelerating in snow. Neither logic or physics support your conclusions. Like it or don't, believe it or not, your butt dyno needs to get recalibrated.

The only thing I can think of here is your comment about it being less precise. For starters, that is patently false, however, because the TL most likely had a sportier steering ratio (i.e. less movement to the steering wheel for any given amount of angle to the front wheels), it may have been harder for you to control as you weren't used to the faster steering response.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven a 1G RDX with SH-AWD? I've never driven a 3G TL so I can't really comment on how well it drives but just wanted to mention that although the RDX is an SUV it drives like a hatchback WAY more than it does an SUV. It's incredibly competent is all I'm getting at.

I'm not at all stating it drives better than a TL (most likely doesn't due to higher center of gravity and weight) but that little thing can haul ass when asked.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:44 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by RDX10
Just out of curiosity, have you ever driven a 1G RDX with SH-AWD? I've never driven a 3G TL so I can't really comment on how well it drives but just wanted to mention that although the RDX is an SUV it drives like a hatchback WAY more than it does an SUV. It's incredibly competent is all I'm getting at.

I'm not at all stating it drives better than a TL (most likely doesn't due to higher center of gravity and weight) but that little thing can haul ass when asked.

That's what I was going to say.

The way you described your MDX is how I felt about my TL. Big and heavy. The TL feels more like a luxury car whereas the RDX feels more like a sports car. The TL does handle really well at the limit, but doesn't inspire confidence as much under regular driving.

The RDX's steering is very precise and light, the TL was slow to react and very heavy.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Latent car nut

That's what I was going to say.

The way you described your MDX is how I felt about my TL. Big and heavy. The TL feels more like a luxury car whereas the RDX feels more like a sports car. The TL does handle really well at the limit, but doesn't inspire confidence as much under regular driving.

The RDX's steering is very precise and light, the TL was slow to react and very heavy.
Then there was something wrong with your TL, sorry, your conclusions are utterly incorrect.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Hard to believe you're talking about a 3G TL, other than a rather wide turning radius, I have no such complaints about my 3G.

I would never characterize a 3G TL as riding like a boat. It has always felt really appropriately sprung to me, even after 15 years.

In my 3G TL and 2G MDX, I think I have two of the best Acuras ever made.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:41 PM
Punk Rocker

Let's just try to remember that his assertions as to handling quality are his OPINION and therefore can't be wrong. If he subjectively feels (from his own personal experience owning both vehicles) that the RDX handles better than the TL (for whatever reason) then there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to post objective test numbers regarding lateral acceleration or slalom times or whatever then feel free, but his opinion of handling may not prioritize those objective metrics as highly as his subjective "butt dyno". I have driven a 2008 TL-S myself and it was a really good handling vehicle for a FWD luxury sport sedan, but I haven't driven any RDX so I can't comment on which I prefer. I would assume the TL-S would be better to me (just because I hate crossovers and high ride heights) but I'm not going to act like that's a factual assessment.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think MM just explained it differently. Handling is subjective yes, and there are many aspects to it.

We've all heard of that phrase "handles like it's on rails". What I've noticed is that it usually gets attached to sports cars that have one or usually more of the following: low weight, a very good AWD system, and heaps of mechanical grip. Compare that to almost all FWD cars, which understeer when pushed.

Now, it's funny he preferred the RDX's handling, but I can see why. The only SH-AWD equipped vehicle I've driven was a 2G MDX. It doesn't handle like a boat. More like a boat anchor. But the sensation of the torque split going to the rear feels satisfying.

So the TL has better grip (lower weight and CG) while the RDX rotates better (SH-AWD, better weight distribution and shorter wheelbase - I'm guessing)

Physics aside, you can make a heavy car feel light on its feet. I've put a Macan through its paces, and for comparison an E39 M5. Those two shocked me with their handling despite being 4000 lbs. I prefer driving either of those hard (even the non-GTS Macan) over the TL.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:24 PM
Null and proud of it

Thanks! Exactly what I mean!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Moral of the story: SH-AWD is a beautiful thing.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:12 AM
Null and proud of it

Interesting!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:24 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Moral of the story: SH-AWD is a beautiful thing.
Absolutely.

I was 'forced' to take options on my new 2019 Audi that I would gladly exchange for $500 virtual cockpit and $1900 sport differential, a standard feature on SW-AWD. Too bad this would mean an April 2019 delivery, so I passed.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Punk Rocker

I've said it a million times already but my 2009 Genesis sedan (with over 200k miles and going strong) is the BEST car I've ever owned. Period. Hyundai (Genesis/Kia) makes incredible cars these days and anyone who is still holding on to the old and massively outdated belief that they are still building tin-can Excel's like in the 80's is just factually incorrect. Are they the BEST car maker in the world? Probably not, but they built the best car I've ever personally owned (and I've owned 15 cars) and I am amazed on a daily basis just how solid and reliable my Genesis remains. I can only imagine how much better the new ones are!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I've said it a million times already but my 2009 Genesis sedan (with over 200k miles and going strong) is the BEST car I've ever owned. Period. Hyundai (Genesis/Kia) makes incredible cars these days and anyone who is still holding on to the old and massively outdated belief that they are still building tin-can Excel's like in the 80's is just factually incorrect. Are they the BEST car maker in the world? Probably not, but they built the best car I've ever personally owned (and I've owned 15 cars) and I am amazed on a daily basis just how solid and reliable my Genesis remains. I can only imagine how much better the new ones are!
That’s really good to know. I wonder how long it will take for resale values to catch up. Right now, the used market is a buyer’s advantage. I bet in two years a used G70 is going to be a steal.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Null and proud of it

http://content://media/external/file/13868
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,815 Likes on 3,842 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike

That’s really good to know. I wonder how long it will take for resale values to catch up. Right now, the used market is a buyer’s advantage. I bet in two years a used G70 is going to be a steal.
I have the same feelings about a Kia Stinger.

Hoovies Garage just bought a 2015 Equus for like $15k. Looks like an absolute bargain.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 5,282 Likes on 3,621 Posts
It does make one wonder if these newer, much improved K/H/G cars will have better resale than the few prior years.
I've seen Equus for deep discounts around here, but the G80 don't seem to be dropping as quickly. Same for the few used Stingers on the market, not a big drop.

Will have to see what the next 1-3 years show.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Ex-OEM King

Stinger still has a lot of hype behind it. When the first off lease cars come on the market will be the real indicator of how well they hold their value.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by SamDoe1

Hoovies Garage just bought a 2015 Equus for like $15k. Looks like an absolute bargain.
The Equus definitely has suffered in resale value but keep in mind that that particular $15k Equus has close to 100k miles on it (iirc). If you want a similar Equus with decent mileage its gonna cost more than $15k from what I've seen. They are still unbelievable bargains however.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Stinger still has a lot of hype behind it. When the first off lease cars come on the market will be the real indicator of how well they hold their value.
Hate to sound superficial, but I have to believe the badge won't do it any favors.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Ex-OEM King

The Equus definitely has suffered in resale value but keep in mind that that particular $15k Equus has close to 100k miles on it (iirc). If you want a similar Equus with decent mileage its gonna cost more than $15k from what I've seen. They are still unbelievable bargains however.
100k miles on something these days isn't bad at all. I have been looking at Jeeps and something for $15k will get you a 2010 Wrangler Sport with 130k on the clock and crank windows. The Equus seems like a better deal.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Hate to sound superficial, but I have to believe the badge won't do it any favors.
Completely agree, that's a good thing for the car people of the world.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:56 PM
Punk Rocker

Oh I'm sure the car itself is quite fine at 100k miles but it definitely hurts resale value.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I gained a whole new respect for the Equus after that video. If it had AWD I would be seriously looking at it (or a 1G genesis for that matter). Near S-Class luxury without nearly as scary of operating costs. Win-Win IMO.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Back in 2012 the Equuis was my
Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Null and proud of it

Funny thing is I see more now than I did back then!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else like the Genesis G70?