Anyone else like the Genesis G70?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah, the Accord 2.0 Touring or Sport is on my short list for my next car in 2019, along with a 2016+ Camaro V6 (with nav and the big LCD gauge cluster), 2017+ Civic Si, and weirdly a 2013+ XTS Platinum (I dunno, I just really like the luxury and value angle of this car and its REALLY comfortable).
Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
XTS? isnt that a FWD boat?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah, that list of cars is all over the place. From econo car to Luxo barge and everything in between.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Team Owner

Not hating, though. I suppose diversity is key, isn’t it? If you have the ability to switch up cars, hell yeah.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts

I was all over the board when I was replacing the F150.
Stinger, GTI, Mazda6, Accord, Fusion, C-Class, Alltrack, Genesis/G80
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

Yeah, and you took 827494816 months to finally decide also

Old 12-10-2018, 02:37 PM

True. Happy with the end result though.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Once you get used to Germans, it will become very difficult for you to go to another non-Euro brand. So what you gonna get next?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
This might be cool.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Punk Rocker

I admit my "short" list is all over the map, but I'm still a good ways out from actually making a decision so I'm still looking at everything. Right now the intention is definitely to go with the Camaro as I do want a sports car again, they are stupid good value for what you get (reason I'm shopping the V6 RS models fully loaded), and I still love the looks of the car inside and out. But I need a 4-door option I'm comfortable with so that if something comes up and I actually need a sedan, I have those preferences already narrowed down.

Also, about the XTS, as I mentioned in the post above I understand that that car is kind of an oddball selection. Its FWD, it has absolutely ZERO sporting pretensions at all, and its a massive barge. Let me explain some of my thought process with regard to that specific car; I love the features and the value first and foremost. You can get one with very low miles these days with all the major luxury car features and a pretty great V6 engine for the mid-$20k's. That is just really good value for money. I've also driven the car and it is insanely comfortable. I have a 100-mile daily commute to and from work and I can imagine those miles just melting away in something like the XTS. I'm also really a sucker for the all-LCD customizable gauge clusters and you can get that on the XTS. I've spent the last 6+ years in my Genny and have kinda gotten used to the luxury car experience and I think the XTS would be a pretty nice upgrade over the Genesis (in terms of pure luxury anyway) for a relatively small amount of $$$.

But as I said, I'm still over half a year away from game-time so all of this is subject to change. I really, really, REALLY like the new Accord 2.0t Touring and it'd probably be at the top of my list right now if it wasn't so expensive. The Camaro V6 just seems like the perfect blend of sportiness, features, styling, and value right now so that's my current favorite.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I admit my "short" list is all over the map, but I'm still a good ways out from actually making a decision so I'm still looking at everything. Right now the intention is definitely to go with the Camaro as I do want a sports car again, they are stupid good value for what you get (reason I'm shopping the V6 RS models fully loaded), and I still love the looks of the car inside and out. But I need a 4-door option I'm comfortable with so that if something comes up and I actually need a sedan, I have those preferences already narrowed down.

Also, about the XTS, as I mentioned in the post above I understand that that car is kind of an oddball selection. Its FWD, it has absolutely ZERO sporting pretensions at all, and its a massive barge. Let me explain some of my thought process with regard to that specific car; I love the features and the value first and foremost. You can get one with very low miles these days with all the major luxury car features and a pretty great V6 engine for the mid-$20k's. That is just really good value for money. I've also driven the car and it is insanely comfortable. I have a 100-mile daily commute to and from work and I can imagine those miles just melting away in something like the XTS. I'm also really a sucker for the all-LCD customizable gauge clusters and you can get that on the XTS. I've spent the last 6+ years in my Genny and have kinda gotten used to the luxury car experience and I think the XTS would be a pretty nice upgrade over the Genesis (in terms of pure luxury anyway) for a relatively small amount of $$$.

But as I said, I'm still over half a year away from game-time so all of this is subject to change. I really, really, REALLY like the new Accord 2.0t Touring and it'd probably be at the top of my list right now if it wasn't so expensive. The Camaro V6 just seems like the perfect blend of sportiness, features, styling, and value right now so that's my current favorite.
I really feel you on just wanting something comfortable. I'm only 24 (I'm almost not able to say "only" anymore.....internal screaming) and I've noticed in myself a shift towards liking comfortable cars over sporty or loud ones. My sister recently bought her first car, a 1G RDX and I've driven it a couple of times and honestly I realized that I just don't want anything loud and stiff anymore . I'm going to sound so damn old here, but whatever. My brother took his Q7 in for service and they gave him a 2019 Q7 with the 3.3 and S-Line package and I found myself annoyed with the ride harshness...I think my young days are behind me boys

There is something to be said for comfort and quietness and reaching a destination feeling refreshed or getting into that car after a loooong day. So in my opinion if you've grown to appreciate the comfort of a quiet comfy car, that's what I would take because you're going to find yourself annoyed at the sporty stuff.
The following users liked this post:
majin ssj eric (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 AM
Null and proud of it

@RDX10 Ok! Atleast there IS an RDX in the family again!

Honestly, I couldn't live without sport, to a certain extent... But I can and do appreciate a firm yet smooth ride, excellent balance is impeccable... That being said, the RDX is only mildly harsh on bad roads... And nothing is better than an RDX... Yeah, I'm that guy now!

Good advice and if majin ssj eric is looking for a single car for all purposes, ride quality will be a major factor in daily driving...

Kinda thinking of going with a 1gen TSX, but the 3gen TL has such a sporty balanced ride quality to it...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-11-2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Majjin
majin ssj eric (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I really feel you on just wanting something comfortable. I'm only 24 ...I think my young days are behind me boys
Geez, I'm in my 60s and you sound older than me.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Once you get used to Germans, it will become very difficult for you to go to another non-Euro brand. So what you gonna get next?
Well, this is my 3rd Mercedes. Odds are, when it's time to move on from the C, it'll either be a light-AMG, or moving up to something like an E-class.
Wife gets the next upgrade, her Flex is closing on 100k & something that doesn't drink fuel as heavily would be a nice change.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4

I’m also not generally inspired to buy Korean as well, even though offerings like the Stinger GT and G70 seem to outshine most of the counterparts produced by Japanese makes and make a compelling case versus European rivals. I suppose I’m largely influenced by the Kias and Hyundais of yesteryear.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t you consider one?
I am a died in the wool Audi Fanboy now. Hey...at least I admit it.
F23A4 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
once you get used to germans, it will become very difficult for you to go to another non-euro brand. :d
this.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Geez, I'm in my 60s and you sound older than me.
Sigh....I know....I don't know at what point this shift happened. I've just not had a sporty car in a long time and at first I despised it but then slowly found myself being ok with it. Now I'm not even sure I can go back to sporty...
Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Sigh....I know....I don't know at what point this shift happened. I've just not had a sporty car in a long time and at first I despised it but then slowly found myself being ok with it. Now I'm not even sure I can go back to sporty...
Wow, I'm kind of the other way, once I get my daughter out of college I'm thinking of going on the hunt for a cherry late model S2000.
TacoBello (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM
Null and proud of it

Dude, you need two cars...

Go drive a new RDX amd set it to comfort!!!

No, wait until you are ready for that note!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Wow, I'm kind of the other way, once I get my daughter out of college I'm thinking of going on the hunt for a cherry late model S2000.
I guess it's a combination of getting used to the comfort and trying to be more responsible. When I had my RDX I drove it like it was stolen all the time. I feel like if I did have a sporty car I would have a hard time driving the limit and stuff. Having something not sporty keeps me away from being tempted to be irresponsible. I'm hoping to finish school in 2.5 more years. Once done and I'm making decent money I'll look into getting something that can maybe do both or maybe even like MM said something sporty on the weekends and something comfortable for the weekdays.

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Dude, you need two cars...

Go drive a new RDX amd set it to comfort!!!

No, wait until you are ready for that note!
Haha that's the best idea, but not financially smart. Soon hopefully!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Punk Rocker

@RDX10 Ok! Atleast there IS an RDX in the family again!

Honestly, I couldn't live without sport, to a certain extent... But I can and do appreciate a firm yet smooth ride, excellent balance is impeccable... That being said, the RDX is only mildly harsh on bad roads... And nothing is better than an RDX... Yeah, I'm that guy now!

Good advice and if majin ssj eric is looking for a single car for all purposes, ride quality will be a major factor in daily driving...

Kinda thinking of going with a 1gen TSX, but the 3gen TL has such a sporty balanced ride quality to it...
This is definitely a factor in my final decision (and for all the hate the XTS gets, you really need to go drive one even if just for the lulz to see what I mean about how insanely comfy the thing is). I will, however, be keeping my Genny for the bulk of my commuting (provided she keeps on ticking at over 200k miles already) so that leaves open the possibility for something like the Camaro RS.

I know everybody only ever talks about the SS when talking about the Camaro, but if you drive the V6 version I think you will be shocked at just how fast it is. Its certainly not the SS but as the former owner of two G37S's I can say confidently that the V6 Camaro is a significantly faster car.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Null and proud of it

I usually drive under the limit, that is, until a nice curve!

I wonder what other drivers think seeing me drive under the speed limit, then take a roundabout at 40mph (65 kmh), then, crawl away like a little old lady!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:17 AM
Punk Rocker

I set the cruise at 55 mph on the freeway commute to work every day (speed limit = 65). Don't really care what all the other people flying around me think, all I know is I average about 30 mpg with my 3.8 V6 driving like that. And considering I have a 100 mile round trip commute for work, I need to use as little gas as possible...
Old 12-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Null and proud of it

I set the cruise at 55 mph on the freeway commute to work every day (speed limit = 65). Don't really care what all the other people flying around me think, all I know is I average about 30 mpg with my 3.8 V6 driving like that. And considering I have a 100 mile round trip commute for work, I need to use as little gas as possible...

I find I4's aren't that great on the highway... Especially a turbo 4... My RDX only gets about 28 at 55-65 mph, and my Optima gets about 28 just under 70 mph... However, my TL got 33 at the same speeds!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:05 AM
Punk Rocker

I would guess its gearing? At 55 mph my engine is just running at less than 1500 rpm or so. But if I crank it up to 70 mph my mileage drops to 27 or so. One thing I love about my Genesis is knowing I can go 540+ miles on a tank which means I can get away with filling up once a week despite all the commuting.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Comparing apples to oranges guys. 28mpg out of an SUV (RDX) is great.

If you really want, you can compare that to my V6 Montero which got 17mpg on an all highway trip.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Costco
Comparing apples to oranges guys. 28mpg out of an SUV (RDX) is great.

If you really want, you can compare that to my V6 Montero which got 17mpg on an all highway trip.

Holy crap, a Yukon would probably do better...

Before the RDX, I had a 2007 Kia Sportage that got 26 highway, and I rented a Jeep Patriot that did the same...

Also, I rented an Elantra GT which got 37 highway and had 173 HP, so it was pretty fast!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:06 AM
Suzuka Master

This is literally how I drive now. Cruise control at the speed limit and just get to where I'm going at maybe 10 seconds slower with a hell of a lot less stress. Before I would speed up to make lights now I don't care anymore. God I'm old.

Holy crap, a Yukon would probably do better...

Before the RDX, I had a 2007 Kia Sportage that got 26 highway, and I rented a Jeep Patriot that did the same...

Also, I rented an Elantra GT which got 37 highway and had 173 HP, so it was pretty fast!!!
So you're complaining about 28MPG when your RDX has a hell of a lot more power than a shitty jeep compass with a CVT or a Kia Sportage with a whole ass 185hp V6? You have to think comparatively here. The fact your hundreds of pounds lighter and much lower powered Optima which is a car gets the same mileage as your RDX just shows that the RDX is actually pretty good to me.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 AM
Null and proud of it

This is literally how I drive now. Cruise control at the speed limit and just get to where I'm going at maybe 10 seconds slower with a hell of a lot less stress. Before I would speed up to make lights now I don't care anymore. God I'm old.

So you're complaining about 28MPG when your RDX has a hell of a lot more power than a shitty jeep compass with a CVT or a Kia Sportage with a whole ass 185hp V6? You have to think comparatively here. The fact your hundreds of pounds lighter and much lower powered Optima which is a car gets the same mileage as your RDX just shows that the RDX is actually pretty good to me.

No, got me wrong... RDX is spot on and cones in WAY better than the 23 HWY it claims, and it's not too bad in town... IDK why it was getting 11-13 a couple years ago... I think it's because I reset the trip...

The Jeep was a black base 2016 Patriot 2.0 6AT... It was a POS but it was kinda fun to drive... Very smooth and car-like and powerband was nice... It was alright...

The Sportage was a 2.0 4AT... But I loved the hell out of it!!! With a cheap, home made intake and 40 psi in the tires with 93 octane fuel, we would achieve 0-60 in 9.7-10.0 seconds... But it felt like 9 seconds because lask of torque killed time... The N/A 2.0 I4 is very rev-happy, not like a Honda, but smoother than the 2.4...

The Elantra GT had a 173 HP version on the same 2.0 engine. It was very fast for an economy car and it even had heated seats and adjustable steering feedback... Sport/Normal/Comfort...

It had awful low-end torque... But after 4k RPM it was gone... A lot like my TL!!!

Had good times in that car for the 3 days we had it...

Ironically, both cars we rented was when the RDX was at the dealer having the ignition replaced and when it needed the window motors worked on which wasted nearly $1K and fixed absalutly nothing...

For weighing 4K lbs, the RDX is very quick in every way except breaking... They ultimatly get the job done just fine, but you have to be prepared to push the brake 4/5 the way to the floor to stop just before engaging ABS...

My stupid red 2008 Camry had 1/4 the brake power of the RDX so it was damn near dangerous... Haven't missed that POS one bit... Well, it was in showroom condition so I do miss that, but that's it...

I am not happy about the Optima's sub-par fuel economy... 16 mixed and 28 highway... My TL got like 15/19/33... And it had 58 more HP, less torque though... But it was more sure footed, just hated the heavy feeling, it felt very big when parking, but great on the highway...

Old 12-13-2018, 04:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 1killercls
this.
Based purely on the hype, it sounds like the G70 is a solution to that quandary.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The new Accord is fugly IMO. Saggy butt just doesn't do it for me. The non-chromed TLX (aka A-Spec) looks great to me, thus I'm leasing one (but that ZF9 tranny though ). The G70 looks like a TLX with a bit of extra flair.

There's a Genesis dealer only a couple of miles from me, but they don't have a G70 in stock to test drive, and can't tell me when they'll get one.
F23A4 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The new Accord is fugly IMO. Saggy butt just doesn't do it for me. The non-chromed TLX (aka A-Spec) looks great to me, thus I'm leasing one (but that ZF9 tranny though ). The G70 looks like a TLX with a bit of extra flair.

There's a Genesis dealer only a couple of miles from me, but they don't have a G70 in stock to test drive, and can't tell me when they'll get one.

The Genesis is a little square for me, in shape... My favorite model is the 2012-13 R-line particularly in white!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Punk Rocker

Originally Posted by neuronbob

I've seen plenty of similar criticisms of the new Accord but I just don't see it. Sure the rear end is the weakest aspect of the design, but the front and side profile of this car looks fantastic to me (my favorite looking mid-class sedan behind the Mazda 6). I'm also to a point in my car buying life where I put exterior styling a bit further down on the priority list, placing stuff like interior design and amenities, engine performance (both power and mileage), handling/ride, and comfort at the top of the list. In all those areas the new Accord really shines and I personally think Honda should be congratulated for delivering the first Accord I have been really genuinely excited about in quite a while.

I guess everybody has their own opinions on something as subjective as styling (and clearly I'm in the minority here), but I just don't understand how anybody looks at the new Accord in the Touring trim (especially in white) and comes away thinking its ugly? Perhaps not gorgeous or anything like that, but flat out ugly??? I guess its just me....

Crap, sorry for the off-topic!!! Here's a pic of the G70 (which I do think looks really great as well):

Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 AM
Null and proud of it

I freaking love the new Accord Touring, especially in white or silver. I see some 3gen TL in the shape, it's wide, long and low!

I see classic Honda in the tail lights and a sleeker looking Audi in the front end.

It looks way more mature than the Civic, much more TL meets A6!

It's the ONLY new car I love! I do like the new RDX, but simply love the Accord.

If I could buy anything new, that's what it would be.

Sorry to derail thread, but this thread is an organized mess anyway, but every post has been sonewhat on topic.

majin ssj eric (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Totally agree with Bob. The new Accord is styled horribly, which I think is also in the running as a reason for the poor sales. (Yeah, yeah, SUVs are all the rage....which strangely didn’t have as tragic an impact on 9G Accord sales.). After having owned the sedan version of the 6G, 7G, 8G and 9G Accord, the 10G was the first generation of Accord that I had zero interest in acquiring.

But not for nothing, the interior design is nice if not a little cheap on some of the touch points.

Pardon my digression.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 AM
Null and proud of it

Totally agree with Bob. The new Accord is styled horribly, which I think is also in the running as a reason for the poor sales. (Yeah, yeah, SUVs are all the rage....which strangely didn’t have as tragic an impact on 9G Accord sales.). After having owned the sedan version of the 6G, 7G, 8G and 9G Accord, the 10G was the first generation of Accord that I had zero interest in acquiring.

But not for nothing, the interior design is nice if not a little cheap on some of the touch points.

Pardon my digression.
Cool! Which Accord was your favorite?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

The 9G (Accord Sport) was my favorite, CVT notwithstanding. It met an untimely demise thanks to someone who was texting while driving.

At the time I shopped my 16 TLX, the 9.5G Touring V6 was very much in the running. The TLX 3.5 base just happen to lease much better.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I like the new Accord. The fact that it comes with a turbo-4 and a manual for the first time ever helps. Hated the rear at first. It grew on me, but I don't think the design will age well.

For the first time ever though, I feel like the Insight is the best looking sedan Honda is making at the moment. My commute isn't awful enough to make me want to get a hybrid as a daily, but if I had to, it would probably be my first choice.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The 9G (Accord Sport) was my favorite, CVT notwithstanding. It met an untimely demise thanks to someone who was texting while driving.

At the time I shopped my 16 TLX, the 9.5G Touring V6 was very much in the running. The TLX 3.5 base just happen to lease much better.
The 9G Accord was my favorite Accord yet. However, I will acknowledge that Honda got the interior of the 10G on point, the 10G is a wonderful place to sit. Sorry for the continued threadjack of my own thread .
Old 12-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

I think i have said when i first saw the picture of G70 and i saw some review videos of G70 as well... i did not like the look and i still dont like it now, especially the front, Too busy and too many weird lines and creating all kind of weird shapes in the front.

New Accord, while it is not the prettiest thing on the road but i think it looks great, It looks a lot more expensive than a $25k car.

As i said previously, Stinger on the other hand looks great!

Quick Reply: Anyone else like the Genesis G70?