Anyone consider the Mazda6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probly be purchasing a new car within the next year. At first I was looking at the Mazda6, but the more I look at it the more i see "Boy Racer." The Acura TL is much more expensive but I like it a lot.

Old 07-11-2004, 08:13 PM
10th Gear

oh btw - just like to say hi!

here is my current car...
Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Stang!!!

I considered the Mazda6 but then saw the newxt two versions, the wagon and the 2 door, also heard the it was going to have a low resale value, like the protege5.

I would look into a used TL, the depretiation hits the owner for the first two years, then it levels out. I heard of someone just yesterday finding a 99TL with 10,000 miles on it!! If you have the luxury, spend time looking for the "perfect" TL.

- make sure it has NEVER had it's trannie replaced, NEVER, they have a much greater chance reoccuring.
- Look for one with low milage, talk to a dealer about finding one at an auction, my friend is at auctions every week for his dealership. If anyone trades in their Acura at another car dealership (toyota, ford, etc..) they typically will put it in to the auction where used car dealers can bid on them at wholesale price. If you give you perameters to a used car dealer (try and find a friend that knows one, it's much easier) they might be able to "keep their eye out" (usually takes a deposit). It is an really good way to see alot of used TLs and not have to check everyone out, just give your milage, prefered color, price range, condition of car. The dealers have a list of hat will be up for auction in the coming weeks so it won't be a sudden purchase, you will know the car is up for auction days before you have a chance to bid or see it (someone may correct me on the "see it" comment but I don't think you can see it until the day of the auction).
Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 AM
10th Gear

thanks for the response. i have a friend who works at a dealership and told me about the auctions, but he didnt go in depth with it - so thanks for shedding some light on that process.

currently the only TL i like is the 2004 model. i do have the 'luxury' of waiting so i may just wait until the '05 model comes out and try to grab an '04 model. the problem with this is that i always want the best of the best =)
Old 07-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro

I looked at them. Not a bad car but we started looking at the accord, then the camry, then the maxima, then the 6, then the MB C230 then the BMW 3 series. Then ended up with the TL. I think the 6 is not a bad car you can get a good deal on them with the incentives and financing. It was definitly fun to drive.

p.s. I like the stang is that an 87or an 88. I had an 85 That I did a frame up restoration I'll have to post some pics. The best time I got on her was 12.3 with street tires.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Instructor

My wife had a 2003 Mazda 6. It was a great car. It had the sport package with 17 inch wheels, ground effects, and the air dam spoiler and rear spoiler. I don't think it looked too "boy racer". Without the sport package they look like a cheesy corolla to me.

The engine had good power, I think it is the same engine in a Taurus. But the car could move. It's no Mustang but it could run with every other normal new car on the road.It definatly is not as luxurious or well appointed as a new TL.

It drives well on all sorts of pavement conditions. Rain, sleet, snow, or normal, the Mazda 6 is a great car. I would recommend it. I liked the car alot.

My wife got hit by a garbage so we are looking for a replacement. That's why I am using past tense.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:54 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll still consider the Mazda6 if I can't get the TL. They have gotten good reviews, its just that I like the looks of the TL so much more.

Anyway, that is an '89 Notchback.
Holley Systemax II Intake, Heads, Cam
30lb injectors
75mm Throttlebody
77mm MAF
k&n
adujstable fuel pressure regulator
mini starter
2 core aluminum radiator
king cobra clutch
pro5.0 short throw shifter
ford racing aluminum driveshaft
3.73 rear
thundercoupe rear disc's
x2c motorsports coil overs
full length subframes
x2c motorsports upper / lower boxer control arms
cervinis fiberglass 1.5" cowl induction hood
cervinis fiberglass decklid
corbeau cr1's
17" chrome cobra replica wheels
tinted headlights

and probly some other stuff i can't remember
Old 07-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had Mazda 6's for rentals on a couple of trips. They were OK - better than the typical rental. Maybe you could rent one for a day or two and try it out.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro

first 5.0

Did you buy it complete or do the work yourself. Im trying to remember everything I did to mine but here is a short list

New 5.0 block from summit .030 over
forged pistons and crank.
Edlebrock pro performer intake
holley carb
Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. stage 2 polish and ported and decked.
Ford motorsport alum vavle covers.
1.6 Ford SVT roller rockers
Ford F303 roller cam
edlebrock gear drive
MSD ignition and coil and distrib.
3.73 rear end
subframe connectors and strut tower brace.
eibach springs, monroe formulaGP Shocks and struts.
and like you said some other stuff.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:07 PM
10th Gear

i bought the shortblock completed. everything else was put in seperately. i forgot to put in the pro magnum 1.6 rr's, bbk full length headers, off road h pipe, flowmaster's, lakewood struts / shocks, j&m cc plates.

i've got the itch to buy more stuff again. it sure would be fun to have a twin turbo 5.0 =)
Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro

Yea I know the turbo would be fun. I was going to put a paxton her, but I was working at my dads shop and some kid came in and said hey is that mustang for sale. I said jokingly yea 10k. He says I have to talk to my dad Ill be back later. I was like what ever man. Who would pay 10k for an 85 mustang. Even though the car was in mint condition inside and out. Its still and 85 mustang gt. So before I could even do more to it the kid and his dad came up and I took them for a test drive. I think the dad was more amped than the kid was when we got it sideways going into 3rd. He said well take it and paid 8k cash and traded an 89 cady worth about 2500.00 at the auction. So my baby was gone. I guess I had about 9-10k invested in her. You know you dont build a car like we did to make a profit on them. Man I miss her.

Oh yea I put Flow Tech ceramic coated equal length long tube headers. They sucked balls trying to get them in the car. Not to mention since they were equal length 2 tubes encase the starter and sit about 1/2 inch away. So I had to order that heat wrap and aluminum shield to put around the starter. Cause once the engine and the headers were in taking that right header off was the only way to change out that starter. I also put on the H pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters. Got to love the sound of a built mustang with flowmasters compared to stock with flowmasters. Have fun and eat some camaro's for me.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

I own a Mazda6s and love it...it has been the most enjoyable car to date-great handling with adequate power and good looks imo.

Now heres the deal...I bought the 6 pre-owned at an Acura dealership and took it back for a rattle that was something they agreed to fix. As a loaner they gave me a 04-TL with 5,000 miles on it fully loaded. Needless to say I have really enjoyed it, the interior appointments are fantastic and the driving enjoyment is present as well (the 6 is almost as fun to drive). The dvd audio system is great. I am a home theaterfile and appreciate SACD and good sound.

I have had the TL for 4 days-we will see how the Mazda 6 holds up in comparison (minus the $15,000 difference)

The TL is an incredible car with great looks that made me feel like I jumped up a class bracket.

back to my "zoom-zoom"
Old 07-27-2004, 10:28 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bluepred

The TL is an incredible car with great looks that made me feel like I jumped up a class bracket.
Well, that's because you did jump up a class bracket. Maybe 2.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Mazdas have horrible resale values
Old 07-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SoLo1183
Mazdas have horrible resale values

Old 07-29-2004, 08:43 AM
2nd Gear

While resale values are nice to have It is not a major consideration...Decisions, at least for me are based on aesthetics, performance and initial price. That being said I believe the 6 still is a very fun drive (you have to get the V6 though) that handles great and looks good for around 22k fully loaded.

I ended up having the TL for about a week and what I really miss is the great interior (I really liked the looks also). Honestly the 6 is just as fun to drive with the big difference being in the low end torque....Our next car still might be the TL-I would not mind having both
Old 07-31-2004, 04:38 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazda is prepping its own entry for the Subie-Mitsu rally wars—a 276-hp, 265-lb-ft Mazda 6 scheduled for a mid-2005 world debut. Spotted during hot-weather tests in the California desert, this sizzling prototype gets a twin-turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four that is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox and sends power via all-wheel drive to 18-inch tires.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=07383418
Old 07-31-2004, 09:03 PM
You touch my tra la la...

AWD, thats awesome. Other than that... It looks like the TSX, kinda. Also, I HATE engines that aren't naturally aspired (sp?). I mean twin turbo is cool and all, but its like fake horsepower. Don't get me wrong, the power is very real, but I mean if you were to put a twin turbo in a TL or a G35 or something it would push over 300hp. And 2.3 4 banger? I think this thing is going to compete with the TSX more, unless its priced closer to the TL.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:43 AM
10th Gear

i actually like the idea of turbo cars. i'm kinda debating on getting an '86 SVO Mustang (for those who don't know, the SVO's were turbo 2.3L 4 cylinders). you can say it's cheating but its not like they are taking a regular engine and putting a turbo on it - they build it specifically for a turbo. using race gas and messing with the timing on a regular car is cheating. even a car with nitrous could be cheating because even if you build the engine to use it, you still have to fill it up all the time and thats not what a daily driven production car is about. building a car to use a turbo or supercharger is something which can still be driven AS IS on a daily basis.
the TL and the G35 are high(er) compression motors, which weren't designed for power adders. so taking one of those cars and slapping a turbo on it is, imo, much different than a car which comes with a turbo from the factory.
from what i read about the mazdaspeed mazda 6, it should be around the $30k mark. i dont know the validity of that, but thats what i read. i personally think an AWD turbo car would be awesome. look at the DSM's. those engines were built for turbos, and look how easy it is to get them to run in the 12's. they come with strong blocks and forged internals to handle strength. the 1986 SVO block can handle upwards of 500+hp on the stock shortblock. that means no aftermarket pistons, rods, windage trays, girdles, race blocks, heads, etc etc. granted, if i were to buy a new car i would not mod it until i have another car to drive as a backup.

anywho, i don't know what i want to do right now.

edit* also, the reason they are turboing the 4 cylinder and not the 6 cylinder is because there is no room in the v6 engine bay. with 2 cylinders missing they have much more room to put a turbo, intercooler, and all the piping.
edit** and if the G35 / TL were built as low compression motors you'd be seeing numbers that supras put out when you slap a turbo on it (granted they would have to come with a turbo in the first place).
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Type S personality

I tested the TSX and the Mazda 6 V6. Both are nice looking. The interior of the TSX I prefer, and the M6 has more prep I felt. For the same price here in Canada I would take the TSX.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:32 AM
on to the next one...

My roommate has a 6 that I have driven pretty often. He has the side-skirts and everything on the outside, which looks really cool, but I think the inside is very plain and boring. Decent power, but car is also in the shop more than it should be it seems (4 times in the 11 months hes had it) But he also can't drive and treats his cars like shit too, so who knows, could just be the driver.
I personally would go for the TSX as well. I love that car, great car for the money.