Any tips and experiences warding off tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:10 PM
HCF
'Insert witty text here'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem we have is with thinking like yours Sleeper. You may not feel like you should HAVE to get over but if you are in the left lane and someone is going faster than you, you do have to move. Not only is it the law, its common sense.......
Old 06-17-2004, 10:00 PM
cmf
ATCer

HCF has it in a nutshell. You can get a ticket for that shit. Ever see the big ass sign on the side of the highway.... "LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY"

I guess you couldn't see it since you're all the way to the f'in left...in my way! :fingerfawk:
Old 06-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're called x-out golf balls. You keep them in your center console. (open your sunroof once in a while) That'll keep 'em at bay. Yeah, I play a lot of golf. I know, I know.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:07 AM
Drifting

ummm...........did any one see from my last posts that i said i don't usually drive in the left lanes and that in LA we have more than 2 lanes? now i'm not worried about tailgaters anymore; i'm worried about the eyesight that other drivers have.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sleeper
....i still don't think i should have to move over when there's space to overtake me...
Here you're correct. If there's an lane to get around you (on the left--it's bad to pass on the right), then no one should be tailgating you. Those people are headcases.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I slow way the fuck down until they try to pass me, then I gun it and block them in again.

The reverse is also true --

One time I was coming home, and this Ford Tempo full of teenagers were going 20 in 25. I guess my HID's were too bright for them, because the backseat passengers looked back and frowned.. What the fuck do you want me to do? Just then, the driver flicked on the right turn signal, slowed down, but sped up and passed the street. Now comes on the left turn signal, slow down, but pass the street. He kept doing it for the next 5-6 side streets, and I got sick of it, hit VTEC as I blew by them, got in front and slammed on my brakes. What the fuck were they thinking, trying to mess with a modified Type-S in a beat-up Tempo full of people? They are lucky I was in a good mood and didn't fuck with them all the way.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Banned

when they really piss me off cuz i'm in traffic and there's no where to go i just gradually slow down to like 60/65 and then when they finally get a little room to try and pass me i shove it into 4th and blow the m away hhahahahah i wouldn't advise that thoughy cuz sometimes they just start tailgating even worse so then i just start like tapping my brakes a lot and usually they back away.

thats just when i'm in a bad mood and they really piss me off
Old 06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Anyone who slams on their brakes to "ward off" a tailgater or to just f with someone has the iq of an ameoba. If you get into an accident, you just wrecked your car FOR WHAT? And if anyone saw what you did and pulls over to be a witness, your screwed and will more then likely leave the scene in handcuffs for reckless driving.

But I guess you people dont think about these things. So...learn the hard way...
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I slow way the fuck down until they try to pass me, then I gun it and block them in again.

One time I was coming home, and this Ford Tempo full of teenagers were going 20 in 25. I guess my HID's were too bright for them, because the backseat passengers looked back and frowned.. What the fuck do you want me to do? Just then, the driver flicked on the right turn signal, slowed down, but sped up and passed the street. Now comes on the left turn signal, slow down, but pass the street. He kept doing it for the next 5-6 side streets, and I got sick of it, hit VTEC as I blew by them, got in front and slammed on my brakes. What the fuck were they thinking, trying to mess with a modified Type-S in a beat-up Tempo full of people? They are lucky I was in a good mood and didn't fuck with them all the way.
and what did slamming the brakes do afterwards? you want them to hit your ass b/c a tempo full of kids can't stop as fast as the Type-S?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by gilboman
and what did slamming the brakes do afterwards? you want them to hit your ass b/c a tempo full of kids can't stop as fast as the Type-S?
that's the spirit
Old 06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Do I Make You Horny?

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
They're called x-out golf balls. You keep them in your center console. (open your sunroof once in a while) That'll keep 'em at bay. Yeah, I play a lot of golf. I know, I know.

$10 at walmart!!! i play all my practice rounds with these!!! great buy!

also, TWINKIES WORK AWESOME to throw at cars, or hookers, or at your neigbors!!

hahaha
Old 06-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 21_in_az
$10 at walmart!!! i play all my practice rounds with these!!! great buy!

also, TWINKIES WORK AWESOME to throw at cars, or hookers, or at your neigbors!!

hahaha

I've had twinkies thrown out of my windows before... Nice little twinkie explosion on my friend's car
Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 PM
cmf
ATCer

I'd pay someone to hit a hooker with a twinkie!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1st things first: You get negative rep from me!

Secondly, if I were the one to whom you were doing this, I would call the cops right away and file a complaint against you for dangerous driving. You just have to realize that these kinds of maneuvers are dangerous for everyone around you, including yourself, no matter if you have a Type-S or not. And that's not saying the day you'll meet your match and someone crazier than you pulls a gun on you and makes the final statement.

I cannot start to count how many times my life gets endangered by jerks like you on the highway because it happens almost everyday, but somehow you have to learn that you live in a supposedly civilized society who grants you the privilege of driving on our highways, and you must act and drive in a civilized and courteous way.

And never forget that what goes around comes around (won't make that Darwin mistake again), andusually it comes around in a worst fashion.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Drifting

really weird, i've got 2 neg reps and 2 pos reps from my posts on this thread. my guess is my neg reps came from my initial post (probably deserved since i came off like a jackass, which i can be). but i really do hate tailgaters as much as i ignore them. i just had one riding me yesterday on a one lane on-ramp, literally inches away from my baby. as pissed as i was, i let him pass me just after the merge even though my car could burn his.

we shouldn't have to tolerate these idiots. so i'm sorry, i just can't be curteous 24/7 to people who don't deserve my courtesy. they deserve a nice swift kick in the ass.

btw, i haven't posted any neg reps while i've been here simply because it's a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinions, misguided or just plain wrong though they may be. i'll only dole 'em out to people who insult me or my opinions without warrant or support. so many haters....
Old 06-21-2004, 11:16 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Here's my 2 cents on the subject... Remember, I come from the Crazy driver land (province of Quebec)...

Just got back from Indianapolis this week end so I had my share of traffic...

First, the left lane should be left to pass another vehicle only... If there is no car to pass, move to the right or center lane.

Second, if you're thinking of passing someone by going to the lane, you should always look for incoming cars in that lane that are near reaching you. Don't move to the left lane until you are sure someone won't be in a position of tailgating you... It is not normal for someone who's trying to pass you to have to slam the brakes because you deceided to pass someone else... Be patient...

Third, be courtous when driving... If you see someone trying to pass you, it does not hurt to let him pass...

Fourth, don't play the highway cop, road rage start by little things like that...

Fifth, rearview mirrors exist for a reason, use them when driving... They are not only usefull for parralel parking.

If someone is tailgating you and you're driving in the right lane, then it's a different story...

I have to admint, I love US highways but when it comes to US drivers, some of them are in a class of their own... I had a guy driving a 50 miles per hour in the left lane in a 70 zone! That's retarded...

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-22-2004, 07:41 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by lgregoir
If someone is tailgating you and you're driving in the right lane, then it's a different story...
This really pisses me off. If you tailgate me in the left lane - fine, I'll be pissed and probably use a few four letter words to describe you, but I'll move over. Tailgate me in the right lane, then road rage heats up.

I have to admint, I love US highways but when it comes to US drivers, some of them are in a class of their own... I had a guy driving a 50 miles per hour in the left lane in a 70 zone! That's retarded...
My experience is that a lot of NY drivers do this on NJ highways (not anybody here, I'm sure )
Old 06-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Stokeless

i just slow down let them roll up on my driver side and show them my glock...after that...they pretty much leave me alone =)
Old 07-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
1st things first: You get negative rep from me!

Secondly, if I were the one to whom you were doing this, I would call the cops right away and file a complaint against you for dangerous driving. You just have to realize that these kinds of maneuvers are dangerous for everyone around you, including yourself, no matter if you have a Type-S or not. And that's not saying the day you'll meet your match and someone crazier than you pulls a gun on you and makes the final statement.

I cannot start to count how many times my life gets endangered by jerks like you on the highway because it happens almost everyday, but somehow you have to learn that you live in a supposedly civilized society who grants you the privilege of driving on our highways, and you must act and drive in a civilized and courteous way.

And never forget that what goes around comes around (won't make that Darwin mistake again), andusually it comes around in a worst fashion.
Ooh, like I really care about rep points. I never use it, and I never pay attention to it.

So "I" am the one who is dangerous? How about the driver of the Tempo? I mean, what did I do to piss them off in the first place? My factory-setting HID? If that's too bright for them, then I guess I'll drive at night with the lights off and be even more of a danger to other motorists.

And remember, THEY are the ones who instigated the whole thing by pretending to turn left and right and slowing down all the way then gunning it to the next street, then slow down again, so on and so forth. I honestly did NOT do anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is just the rear passenger turning around and frowning at my HID's. You know what? Bitch at Acura for that, not me.

They were definitely messing with me because after I passed them, they followed me for another half a mile down the same road before turning off at a side street.

So you can lecture me, call me names, and give me negative rep as it pleases you. But the fact remains that I was NOT doing anything wrong at the time, and it was just a little payback. Besides, I need a new paintjob on my rear bumper, anyway, because people who can't navigate their ways through a parking lot -- 3 scratches on the rear bumper.

Cliff's notes --

Blow me. :sqntfawk:
Old 07-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ooh, like I really care about rep points. I never use it, and I never pay attention to it.

So "I" am the one who is dangerous? How about the driver of the Tempo? I mean, what did I do to piss them off in the first place? My factory-setting HID? If that's too bright for them, then I guess I'll drive at night with the lights off and be even more of a danger to other motorists.

And remember, THEY are the ones who instigated the whole thing by pretending to turn left and right and slowing down all the way then gunning it to the next street, then slow down again, so on and so forth. I honestly did NOT do anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is just the rear passenger turning around and frowning at my HID's. You know what? Bitch at Acura for that, not me.

They were definitely messing with me because after I passed them, they followed me for another half a mile down the same road before turning off at a side street.

So you can lecture me, call me names, and give me negative rep as it pleases you. But the fact remains that I was NOT doing anything wrong at the time, and it was just a little payback. Besides, I need a new paintjob on my rear bumper, anyway, because people who can't navigate their ways through a parking lot -- 3 scratches on the rear bumper.

Cliff's notes --

What you did was to escalate the situation which could lead nowhere but down a path where someone could get hurt. I'll grant that they were messing with you but your actions were downright dangerous. Not only did you intentionally almost cause a collision but you don't know who was in the Tempo. A couple of boyz from the hood could have answerd your actions with a couple bullets heading your way.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cliff's notes --

Childish.
Foolish.
Poorly reflected. :shakehd:
And it also shows the disrespect you have about peoples' safety who are driving around you. You don't care, and you don't want to take the time to consider that by escalating a potential road rage situation, you are putiing everyone's lives around you at risk.

What jlukja said is right.

You don't have to defend yourself here. It doesn't change the way you act on the street. What you need to do is start thinking while you're driving because with the attitude you have right now, you deserve at best the right to walk on a sidewalk. Even with just a bicycle you could manage to jeopardize peoples' safety with your way of thinking.

When we get in a situation in traffic, it's not about if the others are at fault, it's about what we could do or have done to avoid it happenning.

Food for thought.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Hell, there are just retards out there... I've been tailgated doing 100+ down I5, and I'm not moving out of the way! Too much other traffic in the other lanes... IMO, if you want to look like a retard and weave around traffic to pass me, go ahead... =o)
Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Five over the speed limit will get you run over here in Atlanta. Only State Cops can pull you over for less than 10 over unless the cop uses their speedometer, so most people will go 10 over.

If someone is tailgating me, I just move out of the way when it is safe to do so. You do not know what the tailgater is packing. And at least here in Atlanta, it is usually a big SUV doing the tailgating (with the driver on a cell phone), which I do not want to be within two lanes. Those drivers are accidents waiting to happen and I do not want my TSX to be their victim.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by GA_TSX
Five over the speed limit will get you run over here in Atlanta. Only State Cops can pull you over for less than 10 over unless the cop uses their speedometer, so most people will go 10 over.

If someone is tailgating me, I just move out of the way when it is safe to do so. You do not know what the tailgater is packing. And at least here in Atlanta, it is usually a big SUV doing the tailgating (with the driver on a cell phone), which I do not want to be within two lanes. Those drivers are accidents waiting to happen and I do not want my TSX to be their victim.
I agree man, there are too many crazies on the road these days, just looking for someone to shoot or maim. It's best to just let them pass you by and enjoy the rest of your drive.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Banned

>> usually a big SUV doing the tailgating (with the driver on a cell phone)

And if a woman driver....yaking on the phone, checking makeup in the mirror...those are absolutely the worst....scare the shit out of me.
If I see one of these behind me - even if NOT tailgating - I'd try to speed up & move ahead of cars in front of me or I will actually try to get behind the SUV. That's what I call "Total Strategic Anticipatory Defensive Driving"
Old 07-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

It seems at least once a week one of the freeways around Atlanta is being closed down becuase of an accident. The common thread seems to be an SUV and Semi are involved. So you don't want to be behind the cell phone distracted drivers in SUV's. You want to be as far in front of them as you can. As good of handling car the TSX is, it still cannot make it around a jack-knifed tractor trailer.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by GA_TSX
It seems at least once a week one of the freeways around Atlanta is being closed down becuase of an accident. The common thread seems to be an SUV and Semi are involved. So you don't want to be behind the cell phone distracted drivers in SUV's. You want to be as far in front of them as you can. As good of handling car the TSX is, it still cannot make it around a jack-knifed tractor trailer.
Once again, driving while holding your cell phone up to your ear is about the stupidest thing you can do. It's even stupider if you choose to do that while tailgating. These people need to get taken off the road and have their license revoked. Don't they realize that a 2-ton SUV can become a dangerous weapon when not handled properly?
Old 07-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
You could always throw ketchup packets or french fries out your moonroof
i use pennies
Old 07-11-2004, 02:40 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
On the Autobahn again yesterday and the courtesy of the drivers is amazing. On the 3 lanes unlimited speed sections the averages were:
Right lane 100kph, 62mph (trucks, RV, etc.)
Middle lane 140kph, 87mph (most cars)
Left lane 160kph+, 100mph+ (Mario wannabes)
Very little or no tailgating - you pick your lane and go. If there's someone faster coming along you pull over. Like I said before you have to have a lot of trust that you will not encounter some idiot doing 80mph pulling into your lane as you are closing in at 120mph+. I'm pretty sure there were some cars out there bouncing off their speed limiters. The most amazing site was a 911 Turbo pulling out of the left lane (doing about 130mph) for an AMG C class MB.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

One of the things that made me feel the most like I was on vacation in Europe was the peoples' driving style. Even in Italy! And what you said about the autobahn is one great factor. Everybody drives towards the right of the road. Even on a two-laner, especially in Italy, you drive not towards the center of the highway, but towards the right.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Things are a bit slopier in Itally but still a lot better than NA.
The other thing I forgot to mention that was amazing site was a Smart car on the Autobahn at around 90mph (supposedly its top speed)
Old 07-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

Idea :
How's about keeping a (toy or real, up to ya) gun in the car - and when the tailgating gets REALLY bad & unbearable and make your judgement depending on what the tailgater and/or the car looks like, pull out the thing and just f**king wave it making sure the mofo/bitch sees it. and give the impression you're about to her some taste of road rage ???

just a crazy idea...stokeless would be the expert in this field
Old 07-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

:shakehd:
Old 07-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
Idea :
How's about keeping a (toy or real, up to ya) gun in the car - and when the tailgating gets REALLY bad & unbearable and make your judgement depending on what the tailgater and/or the car looks like, pull out the thing and just f**king wave it making sure the mofo/bitch sees it. and give the impression you're about to her some taste of road rage ???

just a crazy idea...stokeless would be the expert in this field
Just asking for more trouble if you do this.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by biker
On the Autobahn again yesterday and the courtesy of the drivers is amazing. On the 3 lanes unlimited speed sections the averages were:
Right lane 100kph, 62mph (trucks, RV, etc.)
Middle lane 140kph, 87mph (most cars)
Left lane 160kph+, 100mph+ (Mario wannabes)
Very little or no tailgating - you pick your lane and go. If there's someone faster coming along you pull over. Like I said before you have to have a lot of trust that you will not encounter some idiot doing 80mph pulling into your lane as you are closing in at 120mph+. I'm pretty sure there were some cars out there bouncing off their speed limiters. The most amazing site was a 911 Turbo pulling out of the left lane (doing about 130mph) for an AMG C class MB.
Wow. I had no idea you could *go* that slow on the Autobahn (100kph is slow to me since that extra 10kph in Alberta does seem to make a difference....I *do* get irritated when I drive a highway that's not 110).

Autobahn: I'd love to see/drive that road some time.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by jlukja
Just asking for more trouble if you do this.
Yes.

IBTL. This thread's useful life has expired, IMO.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jcg878
....This thread's useful life has expired, IMO.
IBTL...
Old 07-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Bound for Europe

Not so!

I didn't bother to read the thread so here's my advice...

Slow down, signal left, then right, then speed up considerably. As that menacing Dodge Ram grille fills your mirror again, change lanes...almost...then swerve back in front of 'em. hehe..

Now here's the best part...

At the next light, jump out of your car and fake a heart attack or something. I mean sqirm on the pavement and sh*t, then as you notice the light is about to change, hop back in the car and take off.

The guy behind you won't follow. Your initial game really pissed him off, big-time. Then he felt substantial guilt and remorse as he "witnessed" you dying in front of him, an "oh my god, what have I done?" kinda reaction filling him. Upon you driving off again, his brain, unable to cope with the rising blood pressure and ultra-rage, will explode within seconds.

Either that or he took down your plate and will kill you in two days time.

Tailgating = sheer stupidity and selfish mentallity
Old 07-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Pro

i just start yelling out gggggg unit and the tailgators usually back off. You should try it too
Old 07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ks112
i just start yelling out gggggg unit and the tailgators usually back off. You should try it too

what's "gggggggggg unit" ?

Quick Reply: Any tips and experiences warding off tailgaters?