Any G35 fanatics around?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Any G35 fanatics around?

First off, I really enjoy my TL but have been having day dreams for the past few weeks accelerated by researching and self educating over the web in regards to a G35.

I test drove one tonight and for a sport coupe I was actually surprised at how comfortable and roomy it was....at least for the driver and passenger. lol I never take people in the back and very seldomly even a passenger so that's no issue.

Gripes: I much prefer my TL's interior and Navigation.

I wanted to ask you guys what you think about an 06 G35 Coupe 6MT w/ Nav, fully loaded, premium package, over rated Bose sound, etc. Basically everything I have now minus voice control for the various systems.

It has 60K miles and is being advertised for $19,800 which seems very inline for the miles. I have found a few cheaper ones but they all have 75K + and if I'm going to take on a slightly higher payment it needs to be worth it. I want it to still be worth something around 90K so I can trade it in and make out relatively decent. (If that's possible. lol )

I'm going to get beat over the head a bit with the trade in if I decide to do this but that's life.....to a dealer my TL is an 06 with 89K miles despite it's stupidly clean condition. I don't know if I'd bother selling privately or not, with the title being with SunTrust I'm not sure how easy that would be.

I've been reading over on G35driver and haven't really run across much other than a Rev Up oil consumption issue......I'm figuring at 60K miles what really could go wrong, seems like there'd be a lot of just regular maint. miles to go.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I still need to check with Nationwide and see if it'd be much more expensive to insure, I'm thinking not really being that they're both luxury cars but the G being a coupe might be an issue.

Also, if any finance guys could lend some advice.....if I would unload my TL privately how would that work with SunTrust? Would the buyer and I just visit a branch, they pay the bank and I sign over the title? That'd be all new to me.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 03-01-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
It should still be reliable at 60k. The only gripes I have with every Nissan/Infiniti is the cheap interior materials and rough engines. If you're satisfied with the oil consumption issue and can live with the interior, I'd say it's a fun car to have.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Early Shifter

Apparently the Oil issue has a TSB that specifies VINs affected which I will most certainly be checking out. I might even ask that they remove plug #6 and let me see the well there with my own eyes. Obviously if it has an issue like that I will not allow it to be my issue....that was a silly comment. lol

I really need to get a better look at the car, I didn't get there until 7:30 and despite them pulling the car into their garage out of the rain it always helps to give a car a nice look over in the bright sun light. I can't say I didn't like the interior.....truth is I didn't really see much other than what was illuminated really.

I know for a fact I like the TL's navigation setup a lot better. The stealthy motorized unit in the G is nice but not as user friendly as ours are.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 03-01-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Racer

Be sure to have the engine running at idle and have everything on at the same time. Not only will this tell you a bit about how the car runs, you'll be touching all the buttons and feeling them. In my experience, this is where Honda/Toyota differ from other Japanese or American manufacturers.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Early Shifter

Will do, thanks for the reply.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Don't worry about reliability. They build a fine vehicle.

My G has had less "issues" than my 3G TL did.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 07 G35x right now...it has been nothing but problems..but i have a lemon. Otherwise they are very reliable cars from being on the G forum for about 2 years now
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
good luck, aaron

no matter what path you take, make sure you're happy with the decision in the end. you gotta think long n hard (thats what she said) about what is important to you in a car.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Shallow as hal.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned both a 350Z and a G35 coupe. I have always loved Nissan, my first car was a 1992 Maxima with a VG30de.

I just love Honda design more. I got the TL last year and besides a few nagging issues, it's perfect.

Just a heads up, the VQ motor is very solid but has a issue with buring oil; the valve cover gasket I believe is the culprit. There is also mild drivetrain noise which bothered alot of guys on the G forums.

Infinity leather is also not that durable, and the driver seat motors sometimes wear out easily depending on use.

my Z & G

Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Early Shifter

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Don't worry about reliability. They build a fine vehicle.

My G has had less "issues" than my 3G TL did.
Thanks for the input! I've had a few Nissans in the past so I have an idea of reliability.

Nothing too special, just an 01 Maxima SE 5MT and an 07 Altima 2.5S 6MT.

Regardless though they were both fantastic.

Originally Posted by Patsfreak1281
i have an 07 G35x right now...it has been nothing but problems..but i have a lemon. Otherwise they are very reliable cars from being on the G forum for about 2 years now
Sorry to hear.

Yeah, I joined that forum and spent allllll last night reading....I couldn't really find anything other than the oil consumption having to do with the spark plug seals that are one with the valve cover? I think that's what it was, I have it printed out because if I do decide to buy the car I want them to pull plug 6 out so I can see for myself if there's oil laying where it shouldn't be.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
good luck, aaron

no matter what path you take, make sure you're happy with the decision in the end. you gotta think long n hard (thats what she said) about what is important to you in a car.
lol Thanks dude, it's still up in the air and I'm def. taking your advice.....I did a full detail on the TL today and the thing is just so stupid clean and I really do enjoy it!

Originally Posted by bigcrazy
I've owned both a 350Z and a G35 coupe. I have always loved Nissan, my first car was a 1992 Maxima with a VG30de.

I just love Honda design more. I got the TL last year and besides a few nagging issues, it's perfect.

Just a heads up, the VQ motor is very solid but has a issue with buring oil; the valve cover gasket I believe is the culprit. There is also mild drivetrain noise which bothered alot of guys on the G forums.

Infinity leather is also not that durable, and the driver seat motors sometimes wear out easily depending on use.

my Z & G

Very sharp cars and thank you for the detailed input! I will surely keep it all in mind.

Drivetrain noise like vibrating? Clanging?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Shallow as hal.

thanks!

yeah mine had about 75k and there was a cold start issue, basically some rattling till it warmed up
also the throw out bearing made for some loud whirring when in neutral.

again, minor issues but alot of Infinity owners are peculiar.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love the G.
classic body..and i think the '06 coupe is the best G35 coupe yr to get.

other than the oil consumption haven't heard much problems with the car...i opted for the G37 tho cus of the interior...i do like the 3.7 though but i believe its quite a bit louder than the 3.5 in the cabin.
when compared to acura or lexus, the infiniti interior seems to be inferior but could also be due to the layout as acura/lexus interior design looks much nicer.
leather seats dont feel as nice as my bro's '08 MDX..but much better than the '06 mdx

its a great car...i think u can prolly get it for about 18k
Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
07 Altima 2.5S 6MT
You just barely made it! The 02-04 2.5s had an issue with the butterfly screws coming unscrewed and blowing the engine. The 02-06 2.5s also had an issue with the cats going out, debris getting sucked back in, and blowing the engine. They also had an issue with the fuel pump not getting fuel to the engine on start up, causing premature starter and fuel pump fatigue. They also had issues with the radio jamming and having to take it apart to get your CDs back. None of those issues were covered by Nissan for the early models, but all of them had the same problems. So I guess you got lucky with that '07!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Shallow as hal.

^ Oh yeah, i almost forgot about that, the stock HU in the G is craaaap.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Early Shifter

thanks!

yeah mine had about 75k and there was a cold start issue, basically some rattling till it warmed up
also the throw out bearing made for some loud whirring when in neutral.

again, minor issues but alot of Infinity owners are peculiar.
Understood, I am very meticulous about my cars and that would probably drive me nuts.....I'll have to pay attention if the final time to look over the car comes around.

Originally Posted by MaximaPower
love the G.
classic body..and i think the '06 coupe is the best G35 coupe yr to get.

other than the oil consumption haven't heard much problems with the car...i opted for the G37 tho cus of the interior...i do like the 3.7 though but i believe its quite a bit louder than the 3.5 in the cabin.
when compared to acura or lexus, the infiniti interior seems to be inferior but could also be due to the layout as acura/lexus interior design looks much nicer.
leather seats dont feel as nice as my bro's '08 MDX..but much better than the '06 mdx

its a great car...i think u can prolly get it for about 18k
Thanks for the input, unfortunately they will not budge on price. I mean, maybe a few hundred but we will try none the less. The G37's sharp for sure just a little out of what I want to spend.

Originally Posted by NWSTL
You just barely made it! The 02-04 2.5s had an issue with the butterfly screws coming unscrewed and blowing the engine. The 02-06 2.5s also had an issue with the cats going out, debris getting sucked back in, and blowing the engine. They also had an issue with the fuel pump not getting fuel to the engine on start up, causing premature starter and fuel pump fatigue. They also had issues with the radio jamming and having to take it apart to get your CDs back. None of those issues were covered by Nissan for the early models, but all of them had the same problems. So I guess you got lucky with that '07!
Holy hell, you seem educated in regards to Nissan products. Are you a tech?

^ Oh yeah, i almost forgot about that, the stock HU in the G is craaaap.
What makes you say that? Just sound quality or reliability? That's the other thing I'd miss, I really like the TL's stereo.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
Holy hell, you seem educated in regards to Nissan products. Are you a tech?
Thanks for the compliment! I'm a lowly engineering student. My mom bought a Sentra SE-R new in '02 and always had an annoying delay to crank even when brand new. She gave it to me last summer so I joined some Sentra forum and found out about all those issues. I fixed them all then blew a head gasket. Those people still love those cars somehow.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Early Shifter

Sure thing, it just goes to show you how full of information forums are....we all learn from each other, one way or another.

I do recall a few people around me having the SE-R's and just nothing but stupid problems.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
do sedans have the same problems as the coupe/350z with oil consumption? I don't see very many high milage coupes for sale and quiet a few sedans with over 200 000km.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Racer

At least with the 2.5s, most of the issues occurred in the more sporty models. People that drive the 2.5 auto Altimas aren't really the type to get it up to 5k rpm often. That's when the problems got more pronounced. So for the G, I would imagine the sedans aren't driven as hard as the coupes on average.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Almost purchased the G35, but ultimately, had too much issue w/ the interior.

Still, the G35 coupe has great lines and imo, is the best design Infiniti has done.

The revised design for the G37 doesn't look nearly as good, but it got a nicer interior (oh well, one step forwards and another step backwards).

Didn't mind the rumble of the VQ engine, the current VQ in the G37 has too much vibration and is a step back in that dept.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I think you should do it, I definitely love mine and had it for the longest....Currently @ 84K miles which I'll admit had quite a few problems, but the 06 has much less. As others have said, the 06 coupe is probably the best one you could buy.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Early Shifter

Originally Posted by YEH
Almost purchased the G35, but ultimately, had too much issue w/ the interior.

Still, the G35 coupe has great lines and imo, is the best design Infiniti has done.

The revised design for the G37 doesn't look nearly as good, but it got a nicer interior (oh well, one step forwards and another step backwards).

Didn't mind the rumble of the VQ engine, the current VQ in the G37 has too much vibration and is a step back in that dept.
The TL's interior is much more attractive, that's for sure. I mean, the G is a sports car but being luxury at heart the interior could represent that a little better.

The exhaust sure does make a lot of noise for being stock.....I really like Nissan/Infiniti V6 exhaust notes though so no issues there.

Originally Posted by mmafighta
I think you should do it, I definitely love mine and had it for the longest....Currently @ 84K miles which I'll admit had quite a few problems, but the 06 has much less. As others have said, the 06 coupe is probably the best one you could buy.
I'm approved and am at the sign and drive point and am having second thoughts. A few things bugged me about a near $20,000 car....

- No wax on the car
- Windows were previously tinted and someone did an awful job stripping it
- For a car for sale in general it could've been cleaner
- Some sort of aftermarket front bumper and clear marker lights that do not mount 100% correctly
- Behind the openings in the bumper is some type of aftermarket black mesh which is chipping in numerous spots

While most of my complaints are minor and easily fixed they should've been addressed before putting the car on the lot. IMO of course....aside from the bumper, it's a sharp bumper but I really don't like how the marker lights don't mount flush.

The other mildly agitating thing was they told me they just gassed it up and the damn thing had just over 1/2 tank....I felt like saying thanks. And the gas up was due to my expected delivery taking, I'm sort of thinking thank god it was a Saturday and I had to sleep for work before the bank got back to them with the approval...I just don't know.

My TL had a full tank when I bought it, more than likely regular but still......is that too much to ask when spending a somewhat decent amount of money?

I'm really not sure where things are going to go from here. I'd hate to go from my TL into something I'm having doubts about.

I got heavy into the throttle and also just didn't really feel a 300hp sport coupe........it seems as though my 6MT TL pulls much harder. The G seemed to run good, no funny noises or anything....clutch perfectly responsive. I was expecting much more acceleration from it.......it almost felt like I was in an older Civic......making lots of noise and barely moving forward.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 03-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
^ maybe that gas in the tank was regular so the car doesn't pull as hard as it should.

Also can anyone answer my question from a few posts up? Or link me to another forum with answers (PM me please)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Early Shifter

Originally Posted by myron
^ maybe that gas in the tank was regular so the car doesn't pull as hard as it should.

Also can anyone answer my question from a few posts up? Or link me to another forum with answers (PM me please)
Good point, I highly doubt a used car lot would put premium fuel into a car that they sold or are in the process of selling.

That being said the dealership I bought the TL from filled it up with regular I'm pretty sure because it just felt like a sputtering dog when pouncing on the throttle until I was into my 2nd tank of premium.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Shallow as hal.

Originally Posted by myron
you can read about it here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...ysis-info.html

and here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-d...ption-tsb.html

Last edited by bigcrazy; 03-05-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Early Shifter

Well guys, damn it......I now own an 06 G35 6MT/Nav w/ 61K. It was a very luxurious 6 months with the TL and I will miss that car.

The dealership did some haggling and reduced the price on the car, upped my trade value, lowered my interest and included a 3 yr./36K full engine/powertrain warranty with 100 deductable which is good at any major dealer on top of a full engine/powertrain warranty for 3 months/3K miles.

The 3 yr/36K warranty was offered to me for $500 cash down out of my pocket at signing.....all the perks were just too hard to resist.

I did make sure they weren't feeding me bullshit and just making it sound good and looking like shit on paper.....all the numbers added up correctly.

Local guys don't be afraid to shoot a text here and there....I'll still be around, had fun hanging out the few times we have.

Last edited by ohsixMTee; 03-05-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Congrats. Great choice!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Early Shifter

Thanks man, the TL will always be in my memories as a terrific car. For an entry level luxury sedan it doesn't get much more comfortable than it was. Maybe one day life will reunite me with one, never know. I sure could see myself owning another one.....it was just an awesome car.

If anyone's in the market for a very clean 06 WDP w/ ~89K miles 6MT/Nav I can let you know what dealership in PA will have one for sale soon.