Ahh, the joy of RWD cars....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Ahh, the joy of RWD cars....

Driving back home tonight in winter wonderland blasted Seattle area.....who you think were the first cars to spin out and/or parked on the side of the road???...hmmm...you did guess right...Bimmers, Benzes, gangsta 300C, Chargers, lots of pick up trucks of course, etc....

Too bad I did not have my phone handy (it was on my jacket on the back seat) to snatch a picture of this fella waiting for the tow truck leaning against the side of his 5 series on the ditch (I honestly did feel sorry for the guy) while my black betty was taking me home with the usual unflappable ride.....I felt like she was wondering why so many cars were on the side of the road....eheheh
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
^ +1
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
damn, i want to get into a 6mt sh-awd so bad!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
^^Me Too!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Tires > *

You could have Ken Block out there in any car, no matter how good the AWD system, but if you put slicks on it then he's headed straight for the ditch.

AWD definitely helps, but with the right tires those people you saw on the side of the road would have been fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Not this again.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Were they sporting snow tires? Were they driving at appropriate speeds? Did they lay off the accelerator to slow or did they slam on the brakes? Were they experienced winter drivers? Etc, etc, etc, etc.

I drove two different RWD cars (with snow tires) as a primary car for ten years before getting a FWD car and I never spun out or drove off the road
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Not this again.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cccoltsicehockey
+1
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
FWD is the best way to drive the wheels ever < /forum>
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,814 Likes on 3,732 Posts
Really?

I knew what this thread was going to be, before I even clicked on it.

This troll needs to stay in the 4G love fest where he belongs.

Common sense and good winter tires will get the job done every time.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I'll take a RWD sedan with snow tires over a AWD sedan with all seasons any day in any storm.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Next year I'm driving the Mustang in the winter. Bring it on!!

All you nancys with your FWD and AWD don't know how to live
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pttl
Really?

I knew what this thread was going to be, before I even clicked on it.

This troll needs to stay in the 4G love fest where he belongs.

Sorry to report what I just saw last night...were all bad drivers?? Wrong tires??, Bad luck?? Who knows, maybe so... I did not stop to ask.....this is what I saw and what always happen with snow in Seattle....I did not run any statistics on it, but these are the cars (RWD and pick-ups) that you tend to see more stuck on the side of the road around here..period...don't shoot the messenger.

Me troll??, what about your informative comment on this thread full of...hmmm..let's say nothing....all the other AWD were doing better than other cars..not only Acura of course....as a matter of fact I was following an A4 Quattro for several miles that behaved as good as my car.

Common sense and good winter tires will get the job done every time.
So AWD cars are useless....waste of money....right??
Even on the weather report yesterday they mentioned the fact that people with FWD or AWD were doing better on the road (big surprise for you maybe)...I wish I did record that part to let you listen to it you dimwit...

I don't know what you have against the TL (or against everybody daring to say that is a good car)

Maybe you cannot afford one, maybe an Acura salesman throw you out from a showroom or who knows...get a grip brother.

Yep, I definitely "belong" to the TL 4th gen section of the forum where you can have half decent technical discussion...I did not ask to be moved to the "How Acura was so much better 20 years ago" section of the site....

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by saturno_v
Maybe you cannot afford one, maybe an Acura salesman throw you out from a showroom or who knows...get a grip brother.

Yep, I definitely "belong" to the TL 4th gen section of the forum where you can have half decent technical discussion...I did not ask to be moved to the "How Acura was so much better 20 years ago" section of the site....
The 4G forum is a :gheyhug: where everyone just loooooovvves the latest TL.

Here we call it like we see it.

Oh, and many of the people in this part of Acurazine have cars that listed at WAY more than the 4G TL.

But way to be the cliche ...
Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by charliemike
Here we call it like we see it.
Well...create yoru own forum then, don't stick around Acura that are so beneath you....why associate yoruself with such a mediocre car company??

Oh, and many of the people in this part of Acurazine have cars that listed at WAY more than the 4G TL.
Maybe so.....you know I own a spanking new 911 Turbo parked next to my daily driver.....you know this is the internet after all....
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Never heard of that in CA.

i only see people who try to turn but feel like they can't no matter how hard they pull their steering wheels or how numb their hands are after pampered by torque steering or how boring their cars drive.

I love Acura's new commercial - "Perhaps, you dont need a new car. You need a new place to live".

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-24-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Well...create yoru own forum then, don't stick around Acura that are so beneath you....why associate yoruself with such a mediocre car company??

Maybe so.....you know I own a spanking new 911 Turbo parked next to my daily driver.....you know this is the internet after all....
Rookie vs. Veteran Round 1...

btw: Search for SSFX, you will love him.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by S A CHO
Next year I'm driving the Mustang in the winter. Bring it on!!

All you nancys with your FWD and AWD don't know how to live

You guys!? In TORONTO!? Yeah....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEMRAWaVr8

Terry
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
.I did not run any statistics on it, but these are the cars (RWD and pick-ups) that you tend to see more stuck on the side of the road around here..period..
A lot of people feel their driving, their cars, their attitute is invincible. Lots of trucks SPEED during winter because they think it will out-handle anything Mother Nature can throw at them. That's driver error, bad tires, poor judgement...whatever you want to call it. The car does not drive itself.

Yes, FWD and AWD can have an advantage in less traction, but it can also spin out if it's sporting the wrong set of tires for the conditions, bald tires, or an overzealous driver. NO car is idiot-proof. RWD, especially if weighted in the rear (trunk carrying a few sandbags) can do just fine in winter with a good set of snows and a reasonable driver.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teranfon

Actually it may be possible...I never been in Toronto but I can tell you something about Calgary, where I had the "pleasure" to spend one winter for work reasons......the snow on the ground was so freakingly hard and dry that behaved and felt rough like concrete....no slippery at all....I was being shuttled around with crazy cab drivers with their Crown Vic without any special tires......unbeliavable but you had actually traction in that kind of snow.

In the pacific northwest (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, etc...) we tend to have very wet snow...slushy and when solid, with that nice slick surface....to that, add the fact that fact that people may be less used to winter driving...the result is that RWD and pick-ups are spin out queens....ask anybody living here....

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-24-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
My first Avatar....

Originally Posted by teranfon

Terry
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there are thousands of rwd cars driving around the world in colder climates ... GERMANY for example. i happen to be a fan of awd, rwd, and fwd lol they all have their merits

b safe out there

ps. u wouldn't catch me in d s2k in the winter haha
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I wanted an Acura ... TEN YEARS AGO.

I don't associate myself with the company. My business cards don't say, "Member of Acurazine since 2001 ..."

If you had a 911 Turbo parked in your driveway you wouldn't be driving a TL because you'd have good taste in cars.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
"How Acura was so much better 20 years ago" section of the site....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
A lot of people feel their driving, their cars, their attitute is invincible. Lots of trucks SPEED during winter because they think it will out-handle anything Mother Nature can throw at them. That's driver error, bad tires, poor judgement...whatever you want to call it. The car does not drive itself.

Yes, FWD and AWD can have an advantage in less traction, but it can also spin out if it's sporting the wrong set of tires for the conditions, bald tires, or an overzealous driver. NO car is idiot-proof. RWD, especially if weighted in the rear (trunk carrying a few sandbags) can do just fine in winter with a good set of snows and a reasonable driver.
Obviously....I drive SLOW with snow, rule #1....the auro of "invincibility" is especially true with SUV drivers (2WD or 4WD) that end up on the ditch often.

All else being equal, a AWD or a FWD will always give you advantage in slippery conditions...yes you can put good snow tires on a RWD car...and so can I.......

Lexus created a model, the FWD ES, especially for the northeast part of North America...this should tell you something....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Team Owner

Obviously....I drive SLOW with snow, rule #1....the auro of "invincibility" is especially true with SUV drivers (2WD or 4WD) that end up on the ditch often.

All else being equal, a AWD or a FWD will always give you advantage in slippery conditions...yes you can put good snow tires on a RWD car...and so can I.......

Lexus created a model, the FWD ES, especially for the northeast part of North America...this should tell you something....
Lexus did not create ES for the weather. It was created because it is their #1 seller (before IS250 existed) so it has to be cheap... FWD is just cheaper to produce.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

I don't associate myself with the company. My business cards don't say, "Member of Acurazine since 2001 ..."

If you had a 911 Turbo parked in your driveway you wouldn't be driving a TL because you'd have good taste in cars.
i wear my Acura cap, tshirt, shoes, watch and umbrella when it rains to make sure people know i am associated with Acura.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
My first Avatar....

Me troll??,
Shocking to think of you as a troll huh? But this entire thread is a one big trolling mission, based on your posting history, and your feeling about the over priced Greman cars...

So AWD cars are useless....waste of money....right??
Even on the weather report yesterday they mentioned the fact that people with FWD or AWD were doing better on the road (big surprise for you maybe)...I wish I did record that part to let you listen to it you dimwit...

I don't know what you have against the TL (or against everybody daring to say that is a good car)

you seem upset.

1. Never said anything about awd being a waste of money. Good job trying to put words in my mouth.

2. Yes, I need the weather report to tell me that it's slippery when i snows and that awd /fwd cars might track better in it.

3. The only thing I have against the TL is it bloated and

4. Yep can afford one...don't want

5. Then GO BACK to 4G where you can have half decent technical discussions.

BUT PLEASE STOP THE OBVIOUS TROLLING.

kthxbye
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i live in the Seattle area and saw plenty of RWD cars/trucks driving around just fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

What such fantastic Acura model made you drool ten years ago?? None for me, except the NSX.....maybe your disposabe income did overgrow the brand....I'm glad for you..no reason to crap all over the brand

You still stick around a forum about this brand.....I did own Alfa Romeos and Pontiacs many years ago...I do not post on their forum.....

It is because I have good taste in cars that I will never own a Porsche (in their current form.....never say never in life)

Actually before getting my TL, I thought for a moment about the crazy idea of getting the incredible GT-R.....more than double the price and way way over my budget, but...you live only once in life.....with some sacrifice and effort I could have pulled that trigger (and trying to avoid a divorce in the process..eheheh)....Mainly of the reasons I did not do it was the too small back seats (I expected them to be a tad bigger) and the lack of a classic manual transmission.

And I can tell you that if I had the dough to afford severa nicel toys, a TL would still be one of my daily drivers for sure...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
funny how if this stayed in the 4G section it would have been a big :gheyhug:

but when they venture out to brag about them, everyone discloses how the rest of the world feels about the 4G...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Lexus did not create ES for the weather. It was created because it is their #1 seller (before IS250 existed) so it has to be cheap...
The ES is one of the oldest Lexus model, while probably it was not created as FWD because a particular market, it has been kept in the lineup and updated because it sells so well in that particular market, and one of the reason is its FWD architecture.

FWD is just cheaper to produce.
Not always...the front suspension of a well built FWD can actually be more costly to design and to tune....do you think it cost less to produce an Accord or a Crown Victoria???
Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i live in the Seattle area and saw plenty of RWD cars/trucks driving around just fine.
Never said all these vehicles are in the ditch.....take a drive up 522 towards Maltby, you may still be lucky to find couple of cars stuck.....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pttl
feeling about the over priced Greman cars...
They are...sorry if is news for you.

you seem upset
I could not care less about you or what you think...just setting the record straight

2. Yes, I need the weather report to tell me that it's slippery when i snows and that awd /fwd cars might track better in it.
Thanks for agreeing with me...finally....

5. Then GO BACK to 4G where you can have half decent technical discussions.
It was not my fault that my post ended in the "grouchy corner"

BUT PLEASE STOP THE OBVIOUS TROLLING.
hmm...who is upset? you screaming now....
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
<3 awd.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, my G37S loaner with Blizzak's did better on ice than my FX35 AWD w/ 20" all-season Pirelli's did.

Quick Reply: Ahh, the joy of RWD cars....