Acura TL vs. '60-'70s Muscle Cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Oh, I love most of them. But.... it depends.

Would I take a stock but well preserved stock GTO or 4-4-2 or Chevelle SS-350 over a new TL-S???

I don't think so. All things considered.

But, I would love to have one of them alongside my TL-S.
No such thing. And here's one for you all. The GTO did not come out until 1966, not 1964 as many believe. In 1964, there was a GTO option package for the Pontiac Tempest LeMans. It wasn't until 1966 that Pontiac made the GTO its own model in the lineup.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by teranfon
In some instances I agree with you. Hell, my six speed Accord is quicker in factory trim than some of the "muscle" cars you listed (some of us old boys may argure the definition of "muscle" cars). It's also more comfortable, stops better, and it's handling is certainly worlds better than much of the older stuff. Some may argue however, and rightly so, that a set of today's tires and a precise tune on some of the older super or muscle cars better demonstrates their true potential. And I think this is where a lot of the differentiation lies: The older muscle and super cars were often modified cheaply and were easily capable of performance equaling many of today's performance cars. I think SouthernBoy used to routinely run twelves with a '66 396 Chevelle with only a decent tune.

I've been fortunate to own a number of performance cars from the late sixties/early seventies from r-code Fords, Shelby Mustangs, and big block Corvettes. Their suspensions were crude, brakes scary, and handling best described as theoretical. And as great as my Accord is and as much as it makes me smile when I drive it, the older stuff always makes me laugh like an idiot when I stomp the gas and leave two beautiful strips of rubber down the road. Hell, even a car as recent as my Grand National still makes me giggle when the world gets yanked backwards.

Technology has made the modern car in many ways tremendously better than the performance cars of yesteryear, but I still love the battle cry of the old warriors and the era of undiluted performance they once represented.

Terry
Hey there Terry. How's it going for you?

In all fairness, to get my Chevelle into the 12's took more than a decent tune up. It took a set of Hooker headers, Walker straight through mufflers, an R3310 Holley 780 CFM dual feed, LS6 valve springs, and the little tuneup tricks. In stock condition with tires and the tuneup tricks, it was a 13.3 machine.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CLpower
they ran VERY VERY SHITTY tires, in many cases new tires would drop more then 1 second off these cars 1/4 mile times. These cars in stock form would light up first and second without even trying.

Your TL doesn't have traction problems.

But yes, in many cases the average car from today is as fast as the muscle cars of old.
My TL does have traction problems because it is a FWD car and FWD cars are notorious for poor traction. I could launch my Chevelle much easier and better than my TL - no weight transfer.

"But yes, in many cases the average car from today is as fast as the muscle cars of old." I disagree with this statement. Some most definitely are but not the average car.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Xpditor does make some very good points about modern technology in general and the TL in particular. I love my '04 manual TL. It puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. And I am constantly amazed at the performance from a small V6 engine pulling around a 3500 pound sedan. It performs very well. My Chevelle would have blown its doors off and so would have my '88 Mustang LX 302CID, but then again if they did, I would have been sorely disappointed. The TL does great for what it is and I am a very pleased owner.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Hey there Terry. How's it going for you?

In all fairness, to get my Chevelle into the 12's took more than a decent tune up. It took a set of Hooker headers, Walker straight through mufflers, an R3310 Holley 780 CFM dual feed, LS6 valve springs, and the little tuneup tricks. In stock condition with tires and the tuneup tricks, it was a 13.3 machine.
Not too bad. Very busy, but I suppose that's a good thing. How about you?

Do you want me to post the photo of your '66 in this thread? It's very small, but I absolutely think its a great period photograph.

Terry
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Lets put a set of E70-14 bais plys on a TL and see how she does
Let's put a 435 HP 427 in the TL and see how it works on the front wheels.

Do you think it would improve the TL's performance?

Food for thought.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

No such thing. And here's one for you all. The GTO did not come out until 1966, not 1964 as many believe. In 1964, there was a GTO option package for the Pontiac Tempest LeMans. It wasn't until 1966 that Pontiac made the GTO its own model in the lineup.
I think your memory could use some tuning up.

You're making a lot of empirical statements that should rightly be stated as your opinion.

So there's no such thing as this? Chevelle SS-350

And as for a Camaro Z28 taking a TL or TL-S in a straight line or a road course?

Well, it depends on which Z28 we're talking about. I was speaking or the 60-70 vintage. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree until we can get our hands on a couple of those and check it out.

That would be fun.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You are missing the point. The discussion here is simply to show that automotive technology has improved so much in the past several decades that even the average family sedan is capable of competing with the highly revered muscle cards of the pre-oil crisis era.

The TL is a well known vehicle around here and simply makes a good example and point of comparison. You could have easily substituted the TL with a WRX or the Lexus IS350, or any of a number of other cars and gotten the same results.
Of course I realize technology has made leaps and bounds, otherwise I wouldn't have the sense to make such sarcastic comments.

I didn't miss the point, back then I was the biggest Honda fanboy ever (not to say any of you are) and whenever I watched a video of an EG or EK hatchback beating a Cobra or Viper or whatever it was I believed it without a doubt no matter what.

What I'm trying to be is the devil's advocate. It is obvious that technology will change drastically after 40 years. Hell, we gave ourselves breathing room back in the 50's, predicting that cars of the 00's would fly, etc. It would be embarrassing for the human race in general if we didn't make a lot of progress in 40 years.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Have to tell you that only one of those cars on your list was a 60's supercar and that was the Road Runner. So many were left out. Another example of a "specialty" hi-performance car was the 1966 L72 427/425 Corvette. Car and Driver did a road test in their November 1965 issue (I have an original copy of the magazine) and managed a 12.8 second quarter at 112 MPH on street tires with a 3.36 rear.

Once again don't believe everything you see in some of these magazines. I have seen a stock L74 (450HP) '66 Corvette hit the very low 11's at a local track.
Well, without getting bogged down in legacy semantics (we haven't talked about "pony cars" yet), I think folks understand what is meant today when the term "muscle cars" is used.

From Wikipedia: A muscle car is an automobile with a high horse power engine, modest weight, capable of producing high levels of acceleration. The term principally refers to American, Australian and South African models and generally describes a 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful V8 engine and special trim, intended for maximum torque on the street or in drag racing competition. It is distinguished from sports cars, which were customarily considered smaller, two-seat cars, or GTs, two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring and possibly road racing. High-performance full-size or compact cars are arguably excluded from this category, as are the breed of compact sports coupes inspired by the Ford Mustang. Other factors used in defining classic muscle cars are their age and country of origin. A classic muscle car is usually made in the U.S. or Australia between 1964 and 1975. The term "muscle car" did not enter common usage until after production of the cars had essentially ended. It is generally accepted that popular, widespread usage of the term took hold by the early to mid-1980s. During their heyday, print media usually referred to this class of vehicle as "supercars".

The website I linked to is not a magazine. It is a car club who has compiled a collection of times printed by all the independent car mags contemporaneous with those cars. They merely collect and report them... often citing and linking to the tests if they are available online.

So.... on the one hand we have printed reports, contemporaneous, of "expert" testing. On the other hand, we have 40 year old memories of "what I saw at the track one day". You would have us ignore the former and accept, unquestioning the latter? Have I got that right?

I knew this thread would bring you out of the woodwork!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 AM

In other comparison tests in Car & Driver, for example, the better handling, lighter BMW 3 series has slightly edged out a TL in handling, but the TL cleaned their clocks in interior quality and detail.

So, your statement that the Acura can't compare to the "benchmark" BMW is not accurate. It is compared regularly and often beats BMW at their own game and does it for about $5-10 grand cheaper.

PS: What kind of TL do you own, Costco?
I didn't own one but I daily drove a 2G TL-S for a while (mom's). And when I first "got it" I thought it was the best car ever. What did I know... I was 17, just learned how to drive, and drove a few other cars, but nothing else compared. Then I drove some more cars.... various 3-series coupes and sedans, automatic and manual, E36 and E46 (no M3s though) to name a few relevant to this discussion.... and sports cars and muscle cars. Then I realized my greatest car ever wasn't so great after all. That's not to say anyone here thinks the TL is the greatest car ever, or that I think my current car is the greatest car ever (far from it) but its literally the best I can do with my own budget. I'm sure many of you feel that way TLs though.

There's something about BMWs that you can't quite put your finger on, but is best described by driving pleasure. Its almost intangible feeling. Everything is just excellent, steering, handling, braking, shifting, it all just feels right, from a 1994 325i sedan, to a 2001 323i, to a 2003 330ci, even giant 1st and 2nd gen V8 and I6 X5s, respectively. It made me realize that maybe BMW isn't paying these magazines off after all.... they weren't lying. I'm not a badge whore either, I think the upcoming Hyundai Genesis coupe is one of the most exciting cars to be produced in a few years.

That 2G TL-S was officially mine really.... instead of taking it I got something 2/3 the price, for several reasons, and I'm very happy with the decision. It was an exaggeration on my part to say that the TL doesn't compare to BMW, but personally I would be willing to part with the extra 5-10k

Originally Posted by SiGGy
This thread seems kinda to me.

I'm glad your 3 year old car can out handle something 40 years old... lol. Especially throw away muscle cars of those times.

Why didn't you use a last gen camaro as an example... Handles better and is faster that all of the times/cars you listed. Seems like a better comparison.

With that said...

The Acura TL is kinda slow in todays standards... there's lots of 255+hp car sedans today.

And some of those 1/4 mile times you posted are a bit off. I think you'll find better times if you look elsewhere.

That tickles that you mentioned it....

And for like the 1752nd time, very well put, SouthernBoy.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you believe it. A "Camaro Z28" (67-69) would easily clean a TL's clock on a quarter mile or a road course.
Excellent comments in previous posts, very worthy input!

I'd agree with half of the above, a well sorted 1st Gen Z-28 would easily zap a TL in the quarter mile. However, without some modern suspension tricks from someone like Hotchkis or similar, the TL would leave it for dead on a roadcourse.

I know my TSX is far, far faster through the twisties than my old 4-speed '67 Camaro SS ever was, and I had upgraded shocks and springs in that thing. It was a terminal understeerer, had bad front suspension geometry like they all did, needed a panhard rod like a heart transplant, and the recirculating ball steering was seriously slow in transitional response.

I still loved the thing though, it probably did me some favors by being such a benign handling car.

Last edited by TheMirror; 04-09-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 AM

You're making a lot of empirical statements that should rightly be stated as your opinion.

And as for a Camaro Z28 taking a TL or TL-S in a straight line or a road course?

Well, it depends on which Z28 we're talking about. I was speaking or the 60-70 vintage. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree until we can get our hands on a couple of those and check it out.

That would be fun.
Perhaps it was an overlook on SB's part, but the engine that comes to mind to me, at least, for the Chevelle SS is either the 396 or the 454. Simply because those are bad ass.... but that's just me.

A 1969 Z/28 was rated @ 290 hp well below redline. Its redline was 7000 and it made upwards of peak 350 hp if you ignored the 290 hp @ xxxx rpm rating. Of course the TL-S would destroy it on the track, but in a straight line at least, doubt it. I know, I know.... actual HP for cars back then is actually quite less. I think it would be more fair if you equipped the '69 Z/28 with bigger, modern radial tires and full Hotchkis suspension. Now that would be very interesting.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator

We can talk about this and that and argue the merits of a mid 60's supercar against those of a 2008 TL-S, but please trust me on a few things here. Much has been said about the tires those machines were shipped with and you all are right. My 1966 SS L34 396/360 Chevelle came with Uniroyal 7.75x14 tires which had a tread width of 5 1/2". Not to mention they were poor in the traction department and were generally replaced in short order. Later versions of these cars saw the newer bias-ply tires with different sizing labels and wider footprints. Still traction was a serious concern.

After I ordered my Chevelle in late March of '66, I read three magazine road tests of the car. I can go down into my basement now and lay my hands on two of them right now if I wish. The Hi-Performance Cars issue might be harder to locate. Anyway, the Car and Driver road test and the Hot Rod road test didn't show the 396 Chevelle in the best light - I soon started thinking I had made a mistake and should have gone with the '66 GTO.

Ok, so I just now went down to my basement and in less than 3 minutes, located the two issues I mentioned above. They are the February 1966 Hot Rod issue with the "Super Street Chevelle" article and the March 1966 Car and Driver issue with the "Six Supercars" article (notice the term "supercars"). The Hot Rod article shows a Chevelle that looks a good deal like mine with the black vinyl top and the factory instrumention (knee knocker tach) and simulated wood steering wheel). Hot Rod managed a 15.70 at 92 MPH and Car and Driver got a 14.66 at 99.88 MPH. Incidently, the GTO tested by Car and Driver in the same article got a 14.05 at 105.14 MPH. These times are on factory delivered street tires, but you can see how I was disappointed after having placed my order.

And then on April 29th (Friday), I took delivery. After sufficient time and miles for breakin, I started seeing what it would do. It was clear that the car was quick and loaded with usable torque (360 HP, 420 lb/ft torque). However, anyone who has had a Holley carburetor of the era should know the simple "street/track" tricks to get more out of the thing. The small screw in the secondary throttle arm, the clipped coil(s) of spring from the dashpot secondary diaphram, the tiny washers for the dashpot top, the lighter advance weights for the DelcoRemy distributor to allow for full advance much earlier, the bumped initial timing. These little tricks cost nothing and yield an easy 1/4 to 1/2 second in the quarter mile. Couple this with decent tires and good driving techinque and you get times in the low 13's - like I did. My Chevelle had the M21 close ratio box with 3.73's out back. Ten inch Mickey Thompson's got the launch going, aided by Monroe LoadLeveler rear shocks. How does 13.3's sound to you for my efforts?

As for braking, I would bet my Chevelle could come reasonably close the the TL and this is why. When I ordered the car, I opted for the sintered metallic linings. These are not your ordinary brake shoe linings, rather they are quite special. Good for over 100,000 miles and stop like crazy.

The bottom line in all of this is the supercars of the mid 60's WERE very quick. And they were very well made. The car companies making these babies knew they weren't about to be bought by grandmothers for weekly trips to the hair dresser. Quarter mile and street contests were the order of the day so they had better hold up and do the job otherwise sales would suffer. GM ruled the roost with the most winners and buyers. Please don't believe everything you read in magazines today. My guess is many of the writers of those articles weren't there.
I'm getting a little frustrated here. Everyone wants to talk about what the muscle/super cars could do IF 1) you modified the fuel delivery system, 2) put slicks on it 3) changed the gear ratio 4) modified the exhaust system etc.....

And you then want to compare it with a still stock TL-S??

If you're going to mod one, no matter how much over stock, then you have to mod the TL-S and, once you do that, any sense of comparison is out the window.

Let me say again for about the 4th time: I think it is so flattering to the TL to even be having this conversation because the TL is a 6 cylinder, 195 ci, family 4-dr sedan and we are comparing it with the dream performance cars of (many of) our youth. Stock for stock.

Southern Boy, the numbers you found in your basement are pretty similar to what I have reported above.

I have not contended that TLs are faster than all muscle/super cars. Only that, stock for stock, they are faster than many and almost as fast as the rest in straight line acceleration. Throw some curves in, and my money is on the TL every time.

Do you think the older Camaro Z28 would take a newer BMW 530i in a road course? The TL can, according to Road & Track who tested them both at the same time on the same track.

Maybe. I think we should arrange a test.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 AM

I'm getting a little frustrated here. Everyone wants to talk about what the muscle/super cars could do IF 1) you modified the fuel delivery system, 2) put slicks on it 3) changed the gear ratio 4) modified the exhaust system etc.....

If you're going to mod one, no matter how much over stock, then you have to mod the TL-S and, once you do that, any sense of comparison is out the window.

Let me say again for about the 4th time: I think it is so flattering to the TL to even be having this conversation because the TL is a 6 cylinder, 195 ci, family 4-dr sedan and we are comparing it with the dream performance cars of (many of) our youth. Stock for stock.

Southern Boy, the numbers you found in your basement are pretty similar to what I have reported above.

I have not contended that TLs are faster than all muscle/super cars. Only that, stock for stock, they are faster than many and almost as fast as the rest in straight line acceleration. Throw some curves in, and my money is on the TL every time.

Do you think the older Camaro Z28 would take a newer BMW 530i in a road course? The TL can, according to Road & Track who tested them both at the same time on the same track.

Flattering? I think its flat out embarrassing in any case when you have to reach back in time to make a case for a modern car. Under those circumstances, a track race between a 2008 TL-S and a 2048 Civic Si, my money's on the Si, and you can't mod the TL with polyuremethylene tires or drop in a camless electrohydraulically-actuated nuclear powerplant whatever the hell they have in the future.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Perhaps it was an overlook on SB's part, but the engine that comes to mind to me, at least, for the Chevelle SS is either the 396 or the 454. Simply because those are bad ass.... but that's just me.
For Chevelle enthusiasts who wanted a high-performance mid-sized car but with a hot small-block V8, rather than the big-block found in the SS 396, the regular Chevelle and Malibu models were available with a 350-horsepower 327 cubic-inch V8 (option code L-79) in 1965 and 1966. That same engine was also offered for 1967-68, but down rated "on paper" to 325 horsepower (242 kW), the same as the standard 396 found in the SS 396.

For the 1969 model year, the SS396 series (138xx) was dropped and the Super Sport became a performance option. In 1969 the SS option could be orded on the 300 Deluxe 2-dr Sport Coupe (13437) and 2-dr sedan (13427) as well as the Malibu 2-dr Sport Coupe (13637), convertible (13667), and El Camino (13680). In 1970 the SS option was limited to the Malibu series (2-dr Sport Coupe, convertible, and El Camino). In both 1969 and 1970 the SS option included the 396/402 as the base engine keeping the option alive as a performance-oriented choice. This changed in 1971 when the SS option could be ordered with any optional V8 and became more of a dress-up option than a performance option.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Flattering? I think its flat out embarrassing in any case when you have to reach back in time to make a case for a modern car. Under those circumstances, a track race between a 2008 TL-S and a 2048 Civic Si, my money's on the Si, and you can't mod the TL with polyuremethylene tires or drop in a camless electrohydraulically-actuated nuclear powerplant whatever the hell they have in the future.
Again.... you're not getting the POINT of this thread.

It is SPECIFICALLY to reach back in time and make a comparison with iconic muscle cars of a by-gone era.

There are other threads comparing the TL/S with modern cars. It stands out pretty well in class without me having to make a case for it. (Even with its tired 5 year old design).

What do you suggest it be compared with? A Ferrari Enzo? A Z06? That would be a foregone conclusion.

Everything is relative.

Although I respect your views and you present them well, I could give them more weight if you had ever owned or spent time in a 3G TL.

Since you are a Camaro owner, I can understand your defense of the genre.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 AM

Again.... you're not getting the POINT of this thread.

It is SPECIFICALLY to reach back in time and make a comparison with iconic muscle cars of a by-gone era.

There are other threads comparing the TL/S with modern cars. It stands out pretty well in class without me having to make a case for it. (Even with its tired 5 year old design).

What do you suggest it be compared with? A Ferrari Enzo? A Z06? That would be a foregone conclusion.

Everything is relative.

Although I respect your views and you present them well, I could give them more weight if you had ever owned or spent time in a 3G TL.

Since you are a Camaro owner, I can understand your defense of the genre.
I do understand the point of this thread, but as its been said, its sort of an matter. I do see its merit in that its different though. Something besides the repetitive Lexus vs. MB vs. BMW vs. Acura vs. Infinti vs. Audi vs etc. threads.

I've spent time in some 04-06s... not sure exactly which years, that was during the "my 2G is the best car ever" phase. I even went to a dealer 20 mins away just to look at an 06 NBP/ebony (couldn't stand the other colors' mismatching bumpers, although they're easily paint-matched... still, WDP FTW!) 6MT with navi, but it was out of reach anyway so I'm not sure why I bothered to. Then I went to the realization phase and my interest in the 3G went out like a candlelight. I've also driven a 7G AV6 (same platform as 3G TL I found out) more times than I can count on my two hands (DD duty) too if that matters

TLs are great cars by all means, but I guess I just wanted something different when I buy another car. Pardon my biases, both positive and negative. At least no one objected to my 4-4-2 and Model T comparison... heh
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Don't you believe it. A "Camaro Z28" (67-69) would easily clean a TL's clock on a quarter mile or a road course.

The albeedigital site doesn't list the original Z28.
One site lists the 1969 Z-28 stats as: 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, and quarter mile in 15.12. The article also mentions a quarter mile time of 14.8- probably with the optional 4.10 gears in place of the 3.73.
http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-z28.htm

Other sources also show a 0-60 of 6.9 for the Z28 (without a corresponding quarter mile time), which is about right since it's the same as its main Trans-Am competitor, the 1969-1970 Boss 302 Mustangs, while some sources also list a 0-60 of 6.5 and quarter mile of 14.8.

The 0-60 would go to the standard 3G TL (even the 5AT); the quarter is a driver's race. Road course- - but I remember the excessive understeer of the old ponycars and musclecars. :wink:
Old 04-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered but harmless

At least no one objected to my 4-4-2 and Model T comparison... heh
Well, that's because your comparison so obviously incorrect- it should be the Olds 98 against the Stutz Bearcat or some other factory hi-po variant: we're comparing the old hi-po versions of fast cars with more modern family sedans, not more modern faster hi po cars to older family sedans.

Last edited by Will Y.; 04-09-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Not too bad. Very busy, but I suppose that's a good thing. How about you?

Do you want me to post the photo of your '66 in this thread? It's very small, but I absolutely think its a great period photograph.

Terry
Yes, that would be great.. thank you.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
This thread seems kinda to me.

I'm glad your 3 year old car can out handle something 40 years old... lol. Especially throw away muscle cars of those times.

Why didn't you use a last gen camaro as an example... Handles better and is faster that all of the times/cars you listed. Seems like a better comparison.

With that said...

The Acura TL is kinda slow in todays standards... there's lots of 255+hp car sedans today.

And some of those 1/4 mile times you posted are a bit off. I think you'll find better times if you look elsewhere.
Seriously.

Its like saying my Dell laptop can asskick Nasa's stuff from the 60s.

Well dur!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Let's put a 435 HP 427 in the TL and see how it works on the front wheels.
My dad had a FWD 1970 Olds Toronado w/ a 455 big block in it that hooked up pretty well... @ almost 5000lbs w/ 375hp it was an interesting ride... I wonder what a fwd toronado would do with decent tires...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

Since it was an early US fwd car with a unibody and bigblock, it was a bitch to change the starter
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yes, that would be great.. thank you.
SouthernBoy's actual '66 396/Muncie Chevelle. I apologize for the small size.

Terry

Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
My dad had a FWD 1970 Olds Toronado w/ a 455 big block in it that hooked up pretty well... @ almost 5000lbs w/ 375hp it was an interesting ride... I wonder what a fwd toronado would do with decent tires...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

Since it was an early US fwd car with a unibody and bigblock, it was a bitch to change the starter
Wow, I never really knew too much about the Toronados other than seeing one pop up at a car show every once and a while and knowing it was FWD. The W-34 package (400hp/500ft lbs) in a FWD platform is just insane. I actually found a green on green on green one for sale for $9500. Definitely an interesting vehicle.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
In the Mid-South meow

It's pretty sad this is one of the few pictures I have of my Skylark scanned in but I had to share. Pretty good example of how poorly these cars handle curves. I guess being 18 and speeding with black ice out didn't help either.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Well, without getting bogged down in legacy semantics (we haven't talked about "pony cars" yet), I think folks understand what is meant today when the term "muscle cars" is used.

From Wikipedia: A muscle car is an automobile with a high horse power engine, modest weight, capable of producing high levels of acceleration. The term principally refers to American, Australian and South African models and generally describes a 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size car with a large, powerful V8 engine and special trim, intended for maximum torque on the street or in drag racing competition. It is distinguished from sports cars, which were customarily considered smaller, two-seat cars, or GTs, two-seat or 2+2 cars intended for high-speed touring and possibly road racing. High-performance full-size or compact cars are arguably excluded from this category, as are the breed of compact sports coupes inspired by the Ford Mustang. Other factors used in defining classic muscle cars are their age and country of origin. A classic muscle car is usually made in the U.S. or Australia between 1964 and 1975. The term "muscle car" did not enter common usage until after production of the cars had essentially ended. It is generally accepted that popular, widespread usage of the term took hold by the early to mid-1980s. During their heyday, print media usually referred to this class of vehicle as "supercars".

The website I linked to is not a magazine. It is a car club who has compiled a collection of times printed by all the independent car mags contemporaneous with those cars. They merely collect and report them... often citing and linking to the tests if they are available online.

So.... on the one hand we have printed reports, contemporaneous, of "expert" testing. On the other hand, we have 40 year old memories of "what I saw at the track one day". You would have us ignore the former and accept, unquestioning the latter? Have I got that right?

I knew this thread would bring you out of the woodwork!
Boy's picking on me.. he thinks I'm a termite.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

That would be fun.
I notice the video header says SS 350 Horsepower, not cubic inches. But if I am wrong about this, that I would stand corrected.

The early Z28's were some serious street machines for having small cube small blocks. They had a super sounding solid lifter cam. Did you know that when you order headers (which were an option), they shipped them in the trunk (made by Kustom Headers) for dealer installation? There was a guy running one at Aquasco in the spring of '67 turning some great times (high 12's as I recall). Granted he most likely had a host of things done to the engine which were legal for his class.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

I do seem to remember Car Life magazine testing a '68 Z28 with the cross ramlog manifold with the two Holley 4-barrels and the "special" suspension and tires (not sure what that was since I was more into supercars at the time). The managed a 1.05g skid pad with that car which was incredible.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

For Chevelle enthusiasts who wanted a high-performance mid-sized car but with a hot small-block V8, rather than the big-block found in the SS 396, the regular Chevelle and Malibu models were available with a 350-horsepower 327 cubic-inch V8 (option code L-79) in 1965 and 1966. That same engine was also offered for 1967-68, but down rated "on paper" to 325 horsepower (242 kW), the same as the standard 396 found in the SS 396.

For the 1969 model year, the SS396 series (138xx) was dropped and the Super Sport became a performance option. In 1969 the SS option could be orded on the 300 Deluxe 2-dr Sport Coupe (13437) and 2-dr sedan (13427) as well as the Malibu 2-dr Sport Coupe (13637), convertible (13667), and El Camino (13680). In 1970 the SS option was limited to the Malibu series (2-dr Sport Coupe, convertible, and El Camino). In both 1969 and 1970 the SS option included the 396/402 as the base engine keeping the option alive as a performance-oriented choice. This changed in 1971 when the SS option could be ordered with any optional V8 and became more of a dress-up option than a performance option.
I well remember the L79 327 engine. The president of the car club I was in had a new '65 Chevelle Malibu with the L79 in it. With slicks, he ran pure stock in the 14-teens. I don't remember what rear he was running with that car. It was beautiful - one of the best years for Chevelles.

In 1967, the L79 was down rated to 275 HP - I'm virtually certain about this. And I am not sure that the L79 designation was kept for the engine.

I have to ask if you are certain about the '69 as you reported. My bother ordered one and I couldn't convince him to get the L78 375 or the 350 HP engine.. he got the 325 HP engine with, of all things, a 3.31 rear. He soon regretted he had not listened to me since his car was a lot slower than mine (he had A/C, power brakes, power steering bench seats.. mine had none of that stuff plus the more powerful engine).

The 360 HP L34 engine was only made one year and that was in '66. It had a 4-bolt main block, too. In '67, it was detuned to 350 HP, had 2-bolt mains, and a QuadraJet carb in place of the Holley.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I wouldn't take one as a daily driver today (I did it in the mustang for 2 years and had enough) but otherwise I prefer older cars.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by subinf
I wouldn't take one as a daily driver today (I did it in the mustang for 2 years and had enough) but otherwise I prefer older cars.
From time to time, I toy with the idea of buying a vintage mid 60's supercar or similar hi-performance machine to play with, but I have to say that I really do like my '04 TL.

It's quite a remarkable machine and also very satisfying to drive. I really get tempted when my next door neighbor fires up his Factory Five 427 Shelby Cobra replica and takes off up the street. I have ridden with him a few times and while his little bored and stroked 331 (302) crate engine only puts out a touch over 400 HP, in a 2300 pound machine, that makes for some mean acceleration.

Still, I really enjoy my TL.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

I have to ask if you are certain about the '69 as you reported. My bother ordered one and I couldn't convince him to get the L78 375 or the 350 HP engine.. he got the 325 HP engine with, of all things, a 3.31 rear.

Um... which part? That the SS396 became a performance option package rather than a stand-alone model? You could get that package on the cheap Chevelles as well as the Malibu. That made for some strange looking 300 2-dr sedans! It was a performance package but, as I recall, it also involved bucket seats and center console and floor shifter.

I researched that part but I do not have an independent recollection of the specifics. I do remember one of them cleaning house down by the Coast Guard base where we use to race on a closed road.

In 1972, the SS became a trim option but it was only available with a V8. Again, bucket seats, console, floor shift just like ten years earlier in the Impala.

I like it when you make me go into the dusty recesses of my brain and ponder those things that haven't see the light of day for a long time. And I have great respect for your experience and memory as you have set me right more than once when I got a spec wrong.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

Then here's another couple for you to ponder.

What would you think of an L79 Chevy II beating a 426 Hemi Plymouth Satellite? Well that's just what did happen at the Pomona Winternationals ('66 I believe). Grumpy Bill Jenkins beat Jerry Stahl for the A/S title and turned an 11.32 as I recall. That man was a master tuner.

Here's another one. In 1965, Chevy built 201 "special" Chevelles with a 396/375 HP engine. However, that car was not all that quick. The engine (Z16) was never build again in that state of tune. It had a hydraulic cam and was nothing like the '66 L78 which was actually the '65 1/2 425HP 396 Corvette engine, only with different exhaust manifolds. The L78 was a beast and would generally beat Hemis of the day.

Yep, I also like bouncing things off of you, too.. and other members of course. I'm a gearhead and I admire and respect anything that is good in the automotive world. For some years now, we have had cars which produce virtually no contaminant and still manage to put out very good power and performance. This is incredible to me.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 04-10-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Then here's another couple for you to ponder.

What would you think of an L79 Chevy II beating a 426 Hemi Plymouth Satellite? Well that's just what did happen at the Pomona Winternationals ('66 I believe). Grumpy Bill Jenkins beat Jerry Stahl for the A/S title and turned an 11.32 as I recall. That man was a master tuner.

Here's another one. In 1965, Chevy built 201 "special" Chevelles with a 396/375 HP engine. However, that car was not all that quick. The engine (Z16) was never build again in that state of tune. It had a hydraulic cam and was nothing like the '66 L78 which was actually the '65 1/2 425HP 396 Corvette engine, only with different exhaust manifolds. The L78 was a beast and would generally beat Hemis of the day.

Yep, I also like bouncing things off of you, too.. and other members of course. I'm a gearhead and I admire and respect anything that is good in the automotive world. For some years now, we have had cars which produce virtually no contaminant and still manage to put out very good power and performance. This is incredible to me.
The L-79 Chevy II finally showed up at the Coast Guard base and blew everything away. It was awesome and also weird because, in general, the Chevy II was the Rodney Dangerfield of autos: it got no respect initially since it was this cramped uni-body POS (supposedly). It was a granny car in basic trim. It was Marina Blue and sat about 3-4" higher than a normal Chevy II which might have been some owner mods to the suspension for slick clearance and weight transfer.

It was phenomenal. Even though I remember thinking that now they had gone too far because it had very little eye-appeal and carried the Chevy II stigma.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM
In the Mid-South meow

A 1969 Z/28 was rated @ 290 hp well below redline. Its redline was 7000 and it made upwards of peak 350 hp if you ignored the 290 hp @ xxxx rpm rating. Of course the TL-S would destroy it on the track, but in a straight line at least, doubt it. I know, I know.... actual HP for cars back then is actually quite less. I think it would be more fair if you equipped the '69 Z/28 with bigger, modern radial tires and full Hotchkis suspension. Now that would be very interesting.
Actually this brings up an interesting point, although I tend to disagree seeing as the majority make more HP than rated from the factory. Has anyone ever seen that show on Speed TV where they take performance engines from the 60-70s and dyno them? Some of them made way more HP than the factory rated them at.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Actually this brings up an interesting point, although I tend to disagree seeing as the majority make more HP than rated from the factory. Has anyone ever seen that show on Speed TV where they take performance engines from the 60-70s and dyno them? Some of them made way more HP than the factory rated them at.
This was one of the things the insurance industry hated-many of the hi-po engines were rated below what they really produced. The engines rated at "290 hp" were actually putting out 330 hp+, etc.
Once even basic mods like headers, carbs and intakes were made, all bets were off.
I think a few modern cars, like the 280 hp Subaru STi, were purposely underrated too (for tax purposes in Japan?).
Old 04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

My first Grand National in 1986 was rated at 235 horsepower. All the major publications at the time were skeptical of that figure as the performance results being achieved were far greater than the horsepower ratings indicated. One publication achieved a 0-60 time in 4.9 seconds and quarter mile times consistently in the thirteens. This was achieved on the crappy factory 215 radials.

Another publication claimed Buick engineers suggested the "intentionally" low ratings were a result of GM becoming pissy if the ratings exceeded their flagship, the Corvette. Whatever the reason, I certainly agree with Will Y and yourself that horsepower ratings at times haven't always represented the actual numbers.

Terry

Last edited by teranfon; 04-10-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

SouthernBoy's actual '66 396/Muncie Chevelle. I apologize for the small size.

Terry

Ok people.. is this beautiful or what?

Yep the car and the girl. Ya' gotta admit. Cars back then had personality.
None of this, everything looks alike stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:50 AM

This I already know, but I wasn't clear enough on that I guess. I even mentioned how the '69 Z/28 was rated at 290 hp and actually produced 350+ actual hp. What I meant is that these older cars, with modern SAE corrections (like how the 3G TL dropped from 270 hp to 258 hp) they would dyno even less. To simply put it a car that dynos at 350 hp back in the day in actuality would make less power than a car dyno'd today at 350 hp.

Like Will and Terry said they were underrated for insurance purposes so I've learned
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All i can say is that those old peice of shit muscle cars pollute like a bitch, i hate driving behind 1 of them, they smelll and look like shit. They need to burn of of the the muscle cars. I fucking hate them.

Quick Reply: Acura TL vs. '60-'70s Muscle Cars