Acura TL or Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apwalsh
Who gets a 28K G35? What's the point of getting a car if you are going to leave everything out? And of course the G35 has more aftermarket goodies out. The TL is not even a year old yet.

Otherwise, I agree; there is not bad choice here
For 28k you still get a loaded G35. The only options that it doesn't have is sunroof, bose, titanium dash. It still comes with leather, hid, heated seats, etc.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

I like my tail...its the newer model without the doggy door...

Old 08-05-2004, 04:45 PM
4th Gear

I don't know why so many people bash the infiniti's exterior, I think it looks great, the spoiler looks nice too
Old 08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HANI2K5
I'm pretty sure everybody here is comparing the Tl to the 4 DOOR G35, which looks nothing like a 350Z

True, I think of the coupe when I think G35. The sedan might as well not exist. The coupe is so hot, and then there's the sedan.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
For 28k you still get a loaded G35. The only options that it doesn't have is sunroof, bose, titanium dash. It still comes with leather, hid, heated seats, etc.
The 28K model does not come with heated seats, leather or HIDs. I was almost impressed. It is however, an excellent choice for 28K.

From their website:

Standard Features

Performance

260-hp 3.5-liter (3,498cc) DOHC V6 engine
Electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode
Brake Assist
Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
Traction Control System (TCS)
Infiniti Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
Anti-lock Braking System (4-wheel, 4-channel ABS)

Exterior

Comprehensive airflow management with zero-lift front aerodynamics
Front-fender sightlines
Aluminum hood
High-mount halogen headlights for improved illumination
Integrated front fog lights
UV-reducing tinted glass
Dual heated, power outside mirrors
Speed-sensing wipers
Aluminum door-sill plates
Rear doors open a full 80 degrees for easier rear-seat entry and exit
LED taillights and center high-mounted stoplight (CHMSL)
Rear window defroster with timer
Dual chrome exhaust finishers
17-inch, 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with all-season 215/55R17 V-rated tires

Interior

Automatic Temperature Control system with microfiltration
Rear-seat heater ducts under front seats
Power windows with illuminated switches, front-window one-touch auto up/down and safety reverse feature
Power door locks
Power trunk release
Retained accessory power for windows and sunroof (if equipped)
Illuminated entry system with delayed fade-out
Front sun visor extensions
Overhead sunglasses storage
Dual overhead front map lights, rear-seat reading lights
Front seatback map pockets. Front-passenger storage slot in center console
Dual front and rear cup holders
Front armrest with storage compartment and 12-volt power outlet (automatic transmission only)
Fold-down rear-center armrest with locking trunk pass-through
Front and rear carpeted floor mats
Cargo net and tie-down anchors in trunk

Instrumentation and Driver Controls

Fine Vision electronic analog instrumentation
Tilt Meter tilts steering column and gauge cluster together for improved visibility
Dual digital trip odometers
Multi-information display for climate control, outside temperature and digital compass
Cruise control with steering-wheel-mounted switches
Infiniti analog clock
Tire pressure monitor

Seating and Trim

Cloth seats
6-way manual driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support, 4-way manual passenger's seat
Unique seat optimized for driver
Titanium-tinted interior trim
Leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel
Leather-wrapped shift knob with titanium-tinted trim

Audio

120-watt, six-speaker audio system with AM/FM/cassette and in-dash, single-slot 6-disc CD autochanger
Dual in-glass diversity antennas

Security

Remote keyless entry system with selective unlocking of driver's door or all doors
Remote power-opening of windows; closing via exterior door lock
Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System
Vehicle Security System
Battery saver

Occupant Safety

Dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors*
Front seat supplemental side-impact air bags*
Supplemental curtain side-impact air bags for front and outboard rear occupants*
Front seat active head restraints; rear outboard head restraints
3-point height-adjustable front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters, driver's seat Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and passenger's seat ELR and Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR)
3-point rear seat belts with ELR and Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR)
Slide-away brake pedal assembly moves brake pedal in certain frontal collisions
Break-away engine mounts and driveshaft help maintain the integrity of the passenger compartment in certain collisions
LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
Snug Kids offers recommendations for choosing and installing child restraint seats.
Emergency inside trunk release
First-aid kit in rear center armrest
* Please keep in mind that air bags are a supplemental restraint system and must always be used in conjunction with the seat belt. Also, a rear-facing child restraint must never be placed in the front-passenger's seat. In fact, all children 12 and under should ride in the rear seat properly secured in child restraints, booster seats or seat belts, according to their size. Driver and front-passenger side-impact supplemental air bags and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags are designed to inflate in higher severity side collisions and inflate only on the side of the vehicle impacted. Please see your owner's manual for more details.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Most people buy the car (entry level luxo cars) cause they like how it looks and it gives them some badge status. Most don't know or care what Brembos are, don't race, don't go to car shows/meets etc etc. Now the G35 probably attract more enthusiasts than some other cars but lets not forget we budget our money and a 32k G35c may be in someones hands instead of a 38k one.
Stupid.. that's a dumb reason to buy the shittiest model of a nice car. (badging) If you are looking for that status, they how are you going to get it if you buy the shittiest model with cloth?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Racer

The G35 does not come in cloth unless special ordered.
I wonder if that is just for the sedan? I know the cloth comes standard in the base model G35 Coupes. They had several base Coupes at my dealer with the cloth interior. The 6 speed only comes with leather.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:14 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Stupid.. that's a dumb reason to buy the shittiest model of a nice car. (badging) If you are looking for that status, they how are you going to get it if you buy the shittiest model with cloth?
I agree, if you shop for a car and buy it solely for status and badging, buy a Beemer or MB, the entry level luxo sedans out now are so close in price and performance, it'd be dumb to buy one without knowing what comes with it and what the options are, like brembo brakes. you're not gonna get more glances riding around in a G35 then you are in a Tl, and vice versa.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

Oh, the art of the 'half-truths'!!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well then Acura needs to try to stop being so damn stubborn and trying to re-invent the sports sedan wheel. Lexus didn't try to make the ES 300/330 3 series competition. It brought over the IS. Infiniti tried that crap with the I30/I35 and failed miserably. So they made the FM based G35. Besides, 3rd place FWD is not bad, it says quite a lot positive, IMO.
The I30 was NEVER considered 3 series competition. Rather is was established as the counterpart to the Lexus ES300 and Acura 2.5TL. If anything, the IS failed MISERABLY. With all the hype about the 'Altezza' coming stateside, this is what we got?? :sqnteek: It thoroughly explains why all I see are young girls driving them.

And in fairness to the TL, the Lexus that comes close to it as an all around Japanese sports sedan is the GS4XX. Question is: Is the GS430 worth $13G more than an A-Spec TL? I dont think so. For the record TL probably would have been in 1st place if it were RWD or AWD.

Peace.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Banned

When you get leather, the HID and Heated seats are standard.

My misunderstanding. But 95% of the G35s are with leather anyways.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
For the record TL probably would have been in 1st place if it were RWD or AWD.

Peace.
I always thought that "if it were RWD" arguments were pretty funny If you think about it, the G35 interior would probably be like the upcoming M45 if it were based on the CHEAPER FWD platform. If Acura went RWD, the interior would probably be less impressive due to cost prohibitions. The real question is, do you want a car where the majority of the $ went into interior development or chassis development. It depends on the user.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the TL were RWD the reviews would be better and it would do better in the comparisons, but Acura would likely sell fewer TL's. I doubt Acura is going to make that change.

AWD is not necessarily the solution either. AWD is safer than RWD or FWD, but is it not as much "fun" as RWD.

-r
Old 08-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by NightRider
These are ifs and buts.....

But you know these magazines are biased towards RWD. These magazines need to enlighten their readers to the fact that cars are not bought solely for performance purposes, if so everyone would have RWD/AWD race cars. If Acura had made the TL RWD it would have beat the G35 in all those comparisons. Keep in mind those are just performance as well, the TL ousted the G35 in most TOTAL (more than performance) car tests and comparos. Just as the G35 won in performance mags, if there were a bunch of "Luxury" mags out that judged on solely luxuriousness, I'm sure the TL would win every time.

"you know these magazines are biased towards RWD."

What does that mean? How is a magazined "biased" towards something like RWD? Is there a RWD lobbying group that sends them contributions?

They are "biased" because as cars are gaining more horsepower, it is harder to put it through a FWD platform. Yes, the magazines do favor performance. They admit that and make no apologies.

I had a G35 and now have a TL. Overall, I do like the TL better. But I'll also say that I pushed my car into a turn very hard just today and really wished it was RWD as the front end understeered BADLY into the corner. The same corner at the same speed would have been much better in the G35.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
If Acura went RWD, the interior would probably be less impressive due to cost prohibitions. The real question is, do you want a car where the majority of the $ went into interior development or chassis development. It depends on the user.
I would have to disagree. Don't you think that engineering a great handling FWD car is harder (and arguably more expensive) than engineering a great handling RWD car? The $ hit would be in throwing away what they've already done and starting over. Nissan had to do that anyway since their model lineup wasn't very good, and their sales stunk. They started with a clean slate, and chose RWD for their chassis since it is "in" right now, and people are buying luxury performance autos. Honda/Acura is not going to just throw away their current models to appease RWD "enthusiasts" and car magazines. Only when sales start dwindling do I expect this to happen. Based on the current numbers, I don't see this happening for a while.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
I always thought that "if it were RWD" arguments were pretty funny If you think about it, the G35 interior would probably be like the upcoming M45 if it were based on the CHEAPER FWD platform. If Acura went RWD, the interior would probably be less impressive due to cost prohibitions. The real question is, do you want a car where the majority of the $ went into interior development or chassis development. It depends on the user.
This user would not spent ~30K on a car and having to look at that
ugly dash everyday( remind me too much of the Ford Probe)...reminiscing the old
days when domestic car has lousy and ugly dash/interior.

FX35 , why would someone spent that much on a vehicle looking like an SUV and choose the RWD option over AWD
Old 08-05-2004, 10:06 PM
E-Xtraordinare

its funny how you guys entertain this thread when you're all so repetitive with the same things said in the other G35 vs TL threads..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acura_driver
If the TL were RWD the reviews would be better and it would do better in the comparisons, but Acura would likely sell fewer TL's. I doubt Acura is going to make that change.

AWD is not necessarily the solution either. AWD is safer than RWD or FWD, but is it not as much "fun" as RWD.

-r
Honda/Acura core auto business is to make efficient FWD car....remember the CIVIC CVCC and Accord back in the 80s.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
I would have to disagree. Don't you think that engineering a great handling FWD car is harder (and arguably more expensive) than engineering a great handling RWD car? The $ hit would be in throwing away what they've already done and starting over. Nissan had to do that anyway since their model lineup wasn't very good, and their sales stunk. They started with a clean slate, and chose RWD for their chassis since it is "in" right now, and people are buying luxury performance autos. Honda/Acura is not going to just throw away their current models to appease RWD "enthusiasts" and car magazines. Only when sales start dwindling do I expect this to happen. Based on the current numbers, I don't see this happening for a while.
I don't know the actual development costs of either the TL or G35...I was only speculating. However, on average, a RWD chassis is more expensive to develop than a FWD chassis. It takes a lot of $$$ to design a 50:50 balanced chassis that can accomodate a 3.5L V6. I'd be willing to bet that the FM platform was easily more expensive to develop than the Accord platform. On the specifics of the TL development $$$ over the G35...I don't know as that knowledge has probably never been public. We can only guestimate at the costs.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hokietl
This user would not spent ~30K on a car and having to look at that
ugly dash everyday( remind me too much of the Ford Probe)...reminiscing the old
days when domestic car has lousy and ugly dash/interior.

FX35 , why would someone spent that much on a vehicle looking like an SUV and choose the RWD option over AWD
Hmm our dash isn't ugly. It's simple, easy to use, in a T design which is very nice. Just because it doesn't have all the gauges you guys have you call it ugly. It is no where near ugly.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Racer

SORRY, NOT FEELING IT.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I have both -- the G35 is clearly a better driver's car. Better weighted steering, better weight distribution (close, if not exactly 50/50 versus 60/40 for the TL), better manumatic, and MUCH better build quality (everything actually fits instead of looking like it's falling off).

The TL has more features, a larger interior (the G35 does the BMW 3-series trick of a long, angled rear seat back to appear bigger), and is currently more unique (fewer on the road). I can also proudly say that Hertz doesn't rent the TL.

The irony of it all is that the 215/55R17 tires on the G35 are... Bridgestone Turanza EL42's...

doh.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lindros2
I have both -- the G35 is clearly a better driver's car. Better weighted steering, better weight distribution (close, if not exactly 50/50 versus 60/40 for the TL), better manumatic, and MUCH better build quality (everything actually fits instead of looking like it's falling off).

The TL has more features, a larger interior (the G35 does the BMW 3-series trick of a long, angled rear seat back to appear bigger), and is currently more unique (fewer on the road). I can also proudly say that Hertz doesn't rent the TL.

The irony of it all is that the 215/55R17 tires on the G35 are... Bridgestone Turanza EL42's...

doh.
Hmmm well I know the Sedans come with Goodyear GSD and Bridgestone RE90s (I believe).

I have the goodyears and so far they have been great, just wearing out pretty fast.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Hmmm well I know the Sedans come with Goodyear GSD and Bridgestone RE90s (I believe).

I have the goodyears and so far they have been great, just wearing out pretty fast.
I have the Pilot Sports and they rock! A little noisy but I've literally done 50+ in 25mph turns and they stick like glue (although the rear end is really hard to break with 18s).
Old 08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by lindros2
I took delivery of my G35x one week ago yesterday. I was pleased to discover that the car was equipped with 5 Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. I was worried about the Bridgestones with all that I've read on the web. Also, the TL that I test drove during my search had a nasty front end shimmy (i'm sure they don't all do that though). Anyone have any experience with the RS-A's?

I'm happy with the car so far and have no regrets. Just like all of the TL owners.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 AM
SOLD

Daceptakon: Yes, everyone does have continous repetitiveness, but obviously the thread starters do not read all the other nearly identical threads. At the same time, they are both very equal cars and could be debated forever probably.

Lindros: Yes EL42's suck anytime, more so on FWD than RWD though. Aren't the EL's on the G35 only in CAN?

HokieTL: The G35 dash doesn't look good at all compared to ours, but it looks alot better than some other jap dashes! It all breaks down to the interior layout of Honda vs Nissan, I prefer Honda myself. I especially like the TL interior more than G35 though becuase of the cacoon/cockpit style where the dash wraps around right into the doors and back...very nice and luxurious to me.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Hmm our dash isn't ugly. It's simple, easy to use, in a T design which is very nice. Just because it doesn't have all the gauges you guys have you call it ugly. It is no where near ugly.
"ugly" is probably too strongly worded...more of plain and uninspired. I have no objection
with the exterior. The instrument cluster remind me too much of the Ford Probe which
I'm not too thrill about...
Old 08-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think your car looks pretty good. Is that color silver or platinum?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro

No, people are calling it ugly because they think it's ugly.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdone
I think your car looks pretty good. Is that color silver or platinum?
Desert Platinum.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Some are coming to this site (myself included) for info on exacly what this thread has to offer. Yes, there might be similar threads, and if so, point them out. I see no reason for these types of comments:
What a horrible horrible thread you've started
Here we go again...
I know it dont these Maxima/G35 vs TL threads annoy you, they tend to be repetitive and get ugly! No more G35/Maxima vs TL threads please!
Buy a Hyundai, much better for you.
This is a PUBLIC forum. If you don't like PUBLIC forums, start a private one and flame those who you invite to your special group.

Beholder(Andy): I plan to test drive both this weekend. Honestly, I am 50/50 on which I like. I owned a 99 TL and loved it. I guess I will find out which one I like more after Sat.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Advanced

The problem with these threads isn't that they're repetitive. The problem is that the car comparison threads always degenerate into personal arguments. It becomes really difficult to filter out the long winded essays and find the really useful information.

This is a public forum, and it's everyone's responsibility to keep it tidy. Kinda like discouraging graffiti.

Originally Posted by Radec
Some are coming to this site (myself included) for info on exacly what this thread has to offer. Yes, there might be similar threads, and if so, point them out. I see no reason for these types of comments:

This is a PUBLIC forum. If you don't like PUBLIC forums, start a private one and flame those who you invite to your special group.

Beholder(Andy): I plan to test drive both this weekend. Honestly, I am 50/50 on which I like. I owned a 99 TL and loved it. I guess I will find out which one I like more after Sat.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 PM