Acura TL or Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I thought you were getting rid of your TL or something?
yea I was gonna but my parents and I decided that I should put my money into something to appreciates? in value instead of depreciates such as a car. So I have invested in the stock market and am hoping on the best. So far, havent seen any tremendous leaps but I invested being pessimistic after being talked out of buying a new M3 :'( lol. But hey atleast I get to keep estelle for a couple more years and work on her (adding an awesome car-puter and all them soon to be released comptech goodies). Plus, the TL is more than a perfect car for a high school kid. So im not complaining
Old 08-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NightRider
I took my TL to the bodyshop I had it repaired at (different story) for a different headlight yesterday. One of the workers there had a G35 so I decided to park right next to it. His was gray mine is black. Next to eachother, I was hard pressed to see why anyone would pick the G35 styling over the TL. The Tl flows in smooth curves all the way back while the G35 has a short sloping hood, then artificially heightened cabin roof line, then a tail cutoff which looks like they forgot to make the last foot of the car. Not to mention the plain round exhaust sticking out past the bumper, compared to the TL's smooth bumper integrated exhaust. The sound when he drove it away...it sounded beefy, but also un-natural and rough like the 6 cylinder mustang that has more sound than power. The TL sounds smooth, quiet, and refined, luxurious yet still growls at high rpms. I won't even go into the interior.....
Nicely said. I personally think the G35's front looks like a frog, lol. Call me crazy but I honestly think so, lol.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Hey "NightRider" I also have Sprint and you're right they only have one at the time. But i've heard that they're suppose to be coming out with another next month actually (September) by LG. So hopefully that'll be able to compete and be compatable with all the features that Bluetooth has to offer. Just thought i'd let you know.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:01 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
yea I was gonna but my parents and I decided that I should put my money into something to appreciates? in value instead of depreciates such as a car. So I have invested in the stock market and am hoping on the best. So far, havent seen any tremendous leaps but I invested being pessimistic after being talked out of buying a new M3 :'( lol. But hey atleast I get to keep estelle for a couple more years and work on her (adding an awesome car-puter and all them soon to be released comptech goodies). Plus, the TL is more than a perfect car for a high school kid. So im not complaining
I know you say you earned it yourself, but the TL is a RIDICULOUS car to have in highschool. I earned mine, I just turned 20 and it is still a ridiculous car for me to have. You and I should be happy with this, as a fair amount of people in the US would not even have a car this nice until they were retired. I posted in a thread of yours about getting an appreciating asset, good decision, espcially at a young age. A big one such as a house will let you have more money and work alot less in your life! Still want that Benz though...

The Tl looks like an animal too, I just don't know what.....maybe a Shark
Old 08-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Racer

The Tl looks like an animal too, I just don't know what.....maybe a Shark
Id have to say, A shark is a hell of a lot cooler than a frog, lol.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD

INFINITI =

better service
better warranty
better resale on the g35 only
better performance
better build quality

Acura =

better gadgets
better luxury
better interior
better quality of materials (in some cases)
I totally concur. I tested both numerous times before deciding on the TL. Allow me to add:

INFINITI =

free car washes anytime
better roadholding/handling
more headroom
more expensive, especially when well-equipped
hard plastic nissan interior
fewer standard features, more expensive to equip
very snug cockpit for its size
sounds better accelerating

ACURA =

smoother ride
more hip room
better sound system
soft-touch premium interior
quieter
telescoping steering wheel
sounds better idling/cruising
torque steer
Old 08-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Which gen Lude?? The 5G Lude had quality that exceeded Lexus standards; it's shameful that Honda discontinued it IMO.
Yeah I had a 5th gen (2000) Sometimes I miss that car. Awesome handling and beastly noises made it a blast to drive.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DARK6mt
TL_6SPD, you are the TROLL in this forum. This thread was ok until your ugly ass come through.
Nah, Its ok. Hes just upset because his old acura had major issues. I understand your bitterness towards acura after going through the shotty trannys. Hope U give Acura another chance though. the 04's are much better if I must say so myself.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Scorching Hot

The G I can see as a better performer off the line due to low-end torque (and higher torque than the TL) but this brings it down about .2 seconds only in the 0-60 run. A 6.3 second accelerator (the TL) seems pretty damn good for me. The G35, unfortunately i have to say this, is an ugly piece of ****. It looks like a warship, kind of like the 7-series - too big looking, not really sporty. The interior of the TL is far nicer than the G35. Handling... the RWD does handle better than the FWD, but I live in Toronto, so there is more snow and unfavourable weather conditions that will call for Honda's PRACTICAL policy of FWDs rather than RWDs which don't really handle snow and rain that well. The TL's sound system is clearly better giving you the option (even if you choose not to use it or make use of it) of 5.1 surround sound and playing high-res DVD-A discs. Both names I think are reputable... not as known or respected generally as Benz or Bimmer but hey, they're all rip-offs anyway. Reliability may seem poorer for the 04 TLs but that's just because its a brand new car, the first in its gen... give it some time, it'll all be fixed. And this thing about the tires - up here in Canada, G35s run on EL42s as well!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
SOLD

[And this thing about the tires - up here in Canada, G35s run on EL42s as well![/QUOTE]

Oh the HORROR!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheGreatNS
The G I can see as a better performer off the line due to low-end torque (and higher torque than the TL) but this brings it down about .2 seconds only in the 0-60 run. A 6.3 second accelerator (the TL) seems pretty damn good for me. The G35, unfortunately i have to say this, is an ugly piece of ****. It looks like a warship, kind of like the 7-series - too big looking, not really sporty. The interior of the TL is far nicer than the G35. Handling... the RWD does handle better than the FWD, but I live in Toronto, so there is more snow and unfavourable weather conditions that will call for Honda's PRACTICAL policy of FWDs rather than RWDs which don't really handle snow and rain that well. The TL's sound system is clearly better giving you the option (even if you choose not to use it or make use of it) of 5.1 surround sound and playing high-res DVD-A discs. Both names I think are reputable... not as known or respected generally as Benz or Bimmer but hey, they're all rip-offs anyway. Reliability may seem poorer for the 04 TLs but that's just because its a brand new car, the first in its gen... give it some time, it'll all be fixed. And this thing about the tires - up here in Canada, G35s run on EL42s as well!
FYI, the G35 does 5.6-5.7 0-60 for its best. That is more than .2. At least the G35 doesn't look like a Accord or any other Nissan out there.

And the problems will not be fixed. I know Acura and how they work for years.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Test drove the FX35, the G35 6speed, the TL and the MDX.

I'll have to say the TL blew the G35 out of the water (just a little torque steer on the TL, but i got the slip control to kick in on dry pavement with the G, so i can only imagine in snow).
The MDX is nice in side, good size, but underpowered and no Manu-matic shift. (the dealer actually quoted me a high lease payment on the MDX then I got on the FX35 too)

My mind is made up, i'm gonna go with the Fx35. This thing handles like no SUV, and better then most cars too. Plenty of toys, though no touch screen navi, still easy to use. I took a long turning On ramp to a high way at60+ mph and the car didn't even roll, thats better then my A4. That sold me. ANd I can tow my jet ski win win. for 550 a month.

- Thanks for all of your help,
Andy
Old 08-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Brock_Landers
Let me say as a G35 owner with 55,000 miles on it I would get the TL myself. I agree that the G35 outperforms the TL barely and RWD is more fun to drive than FWD but the interior of the TL is the best, bar none, for cars under $45,000. If you want pure performance and do not care abotu anything but performance then the G35 is right for you. I like a little luxury with great performance and that is what the TL gives you. The TL was not out at the time I bought the G. To sum it up:

G35 - Pure performance where you have to settle for a mediocre interior.
TL - Pure luxury with great performance but you to have to give a little performance away because of the FWD.

Finally, proof positive that the TL is a superior car to the G35.

Good job.

BJ
Old 08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah -- the TL has knobs on the radio. Nothing beats a volume or tuning knob. In the Inifiniti you have to press a button. Yes, it works -- but knobs are way easier to find and use without looking away from the road.

If I was serious about the G35 I'd hold out for the '05 and see what the new interior looks like. It's *got* to be better than the old one!
Old 08-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Racer

FYI, the G35 does 5.6-5.7 0-60 for its best. That is more than .2. At least the G35 doesn't look like a Accord or any other Nissan out there.

G35 COUPE makes you car look old. They know it, you know it.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Banned

G35 COUPE makes you car look old. They know it, you know it.

More immature insults like usual.

Go get a Civic SI like you should have.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Until Infinity fixes this....

and this.....

....the G35 cannot be considered in the TL's league for design / luxury. As stated earlier by G35 owner Brock Landers, "Let me say as a G35 owner with 55,000 miles on it I would get the TL myself. I agree that the G35 outperforms the TL barely and RWD is more fun to drive than FWD but the interior of the TL is the best, bar none, for cars under $45,000. If you want pure performance and do not care about anything but performance then the G35 is right for you."

Acura TL owners want luxury first, performance second. Infinity G35 Sedan owners want performance and no luxury. Big difference. If Acura owners wanted performance without luxury, we'd just get the V6 Accord and save money over the G35 Sedan as they have similarly bland styling and equally weak interiors.

BJ
Old 08-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames

and this.....

....the G35 cannot be considered in the TL's league for design / luxury. As stated earlier by G35 owner Brock Landers, "Let me say as a G35 owner with 55,000 miles on it I would get the TL myself. I agree that the G35 outperforms the TL barely and RWD is more fun to drive than FWD but the interior of the TL is the best, bar none, for cars under $45,000. If you want pure performance and do not care about anything but performance then the G35 is right for you."

Acura TL owners want luxury first, performance second. Infinity G35 Sedan owners want performance and no luxury. Big difference. If Acura owners wanted performance without luxury, we'd just get the V6 Accord and save money over the G35 Sedan as they have similarly bland styling and equally weak interiors.

BJ
DITTO!, actually I like accord coupe's exterior and interior better than G35 sedan.

My honest opinion.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Pro

BJ, unless you're referencing the AV6 6MT, the AV6 Sedan is not a standout performer and not even a 14 second car stock. Though it lack some HP, the lesser powered Mazda 6s can take a 5AT AV6 down; especially when it comes to handling.

As for arguing about styling, this gets :ghey: REALLY fast. As long as G35S/X sales are where they are, dont expect any major styling changes for this generation. Besides, I seriously doubt any of you would change your choice based solely on styling changes.

Peace.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Racer

More immature insults like usual.

Go get a Civic SI like you should have.
Don't talk about being immature, since EVERYONE in this forum knows how immature you are in here.

YOU ARE THE MOST IMMATURE 49 YEAR OLD I HAVE EVER MET.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:53 AM
SOLD

"Immature" talks are usually immature. Just be men and have a discussion albeit of differing opinions without taking it to the level of insulting...
Old 08-05-2004, 10:11 AM
SOLD

BJ
To edit BJ above, of course G35 owners want some luxury and not just performance, otherwise they would have gotten a damn mustang. True though with Acura luxury comes first although performance is definitely incorporated.

BJ is posting logically, did he miss his next double dose of Xanax?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Advanced

If I had it to do over, I probably woud have went with a g35 coupe over my 03 CLS,
simply because of all the problems with fit and finish I'v had with my car(rattles out the ass), not to mention the tranny issue and warped rotor issue, I for one will never buy another honda not 100 precent assembled in Japan......Of course I would have went with the G35 coupe but at the time I bought the CLS they just came out and dealers wanted sticker for them, which was like 4-5K car more then I paid for a similarly equiped CLS/Navi......
Old 08-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

Don't talk about being immature, since EVERYONE in this forum knows how immature you are in here.

YOU ARE THE MOST IMMATURE 49 YEAR OLD I HAVE EVER MET.
You won't find one immature post from me on this forum or any. I don't insult others or call them names like you do and BJ. So you just owned yourself. Enjoy.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Racer

You won't find one immature post from me on this forum or any. I don't insult others or call them names like you do and BJ. So you just owned yourself. Enjoy.

LOL, and what if I find them? you probably say its not immature.....you are one sad sad individual. I just owned myself? ahahahha, I took you since day one.

:sqntfawk:
Old 08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
4th Gear

I come to this site purely to read the threads and read other peoples opinions about cars that i will be interested in in the future. I don't really have a place on this thread since i own niether a Tl or a G (i own an acura integra). But being from minnesota i see plenty of Tl's and G35's, most of them are AWD. I just wanna say that i think boltljames sounds like one of the most ignorant, uninformed car owner's out there. He should drive a Lexus.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Well either way your going to have to buy tires at least for the TL. The TL tires it comes with are worthless in the snow. You are going to have very biased opinions on this forum for the TL. I shopped and ended up with the G35 sedan because I wanted a car that was more fun to drive (like a sports car) than a luxury car. The TL originally was my first choice but it changed after driving both several times.
You should have gotten an A-Spec TL, it beat the G35 any day!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 02:33 PM

Well considering even with a lacking interior, the G35 has been
1. Car of the year
2. 10 best winner twice
3. Spanked the TL and competition in every comparo

It can't be that bad. It's also a bit cheaper, starting at 28k-38k loaded. The Tl is what 32k-36k? And the aftermarket parts for the G35 vastly outnumber the TL.
The TL is a spirited cruiser and as some has stated, more an eye on luxury and features.
Both are selling very well, clearly, there is NO BAD CHOICE!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:00 PM
SOLD

1. Car of the year
2. 10 best winner twice

It can't be that bad. It's also a bit cheaper, starting at 28k-38k loaded. The Tl is what 32k-36k? And the aftermarket parts for the G35 vastly outnumber the TL.
The TL is a spirited cruiser and as some has stated, more an eye on luxury and features.
These are ifs and buts.....

But you know these magazines are biased towards RWD. These magazines need to enlighten their readers to the fact that cars are not bought solely for performance purposes, if so everyone would have RWD/AWD race cars. If Acura had made the TL RWD it would have beat the G35 in all those comparisons. Keep in mind those are just performance as well, the TL ousted the G35 in most TOTAL (more than performance) car tests and comparos. Just as the G35 won in performance mags, if there were a bunch of "Luxury" mags out that judged on solely luxuriousness, I'm sure the TL would win every time.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro

1. Car of the year
2. 10 best winner twice

Well stated!! I'll just add that in the past, one would think that Acura's trump card was quality (which would have justified a slightly higher cost). However, given some of the "less flattering" reviews that've been posted here, that appears to not be the case any more.

After trying both (TL first, then G35X), I can state that I liked the G35X better but ONLY by the slightest of margins. (And I love the reclining rear seat feature.)

That said, both are great cars; just different strokes for different folks. Peace.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:19 PM
SOLD

No sarcasm intended, but was the G35 even intended to be remotely luxurious? Why if it is a near luxury brand like Acura, does it offer cloth seats and sell to rental cars companies? I don't recall Lexus or MB offering cloth seats or rentals. I don't know about BMW...
Old 08-05-2004, 03:41 PM

These are ifs and buts.....

But you know these magazines are biased towards RWD. These magazines need to enlighten their readers to the fact that cars are not bought solely for performance purposes, if so everyone would have RWD/AWD race cars. If Acura had made the TL RWD it would have beat the G35 in all those comparisons. Keep in mind those are just performance as well, the TL ousted the G35 in most TOTAL (more than performance) car tests and comparos. Just as the G35 won in performance mags, if there were a bunch of "Luxury" mags out that judged on solely luxuriousness, I'm sure the TL would win every time.
Well then Acura needs to try to stop being so damn stubborn and trying to re-invent the sports sedan wheel. Lexus didn't try to make the ES 300/330 3 series competition. It brought over the IS. Infiniti tried that crap with the I30/I35 and failed miserably. So they made the FM based G35. Besides, 3rd place FWD is not bad, it says quite a lot positive, IMO.

The magazines WORLDWIDE are not going to change. Since Acura won't either, just let it be. Though with the AWD RL coming, that should be interesting and I have a good feeling the new RL will fare much better than the current RL (which is not even included in comparisons).

Again, we just live in a time of great cars made from everyone.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Pro

1. Car of the year
2. 10 best winner twice

Who gets a 28K G35? What's the point of getting a car if you are going to leave everything out? And of course the G35 has more aftermarket goodies out. The TL is not even a year old yet.

Otherwise, I agree; there is not bad choice here
Old 08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro

Yeah, the G35 doesn't resemble the Z at all.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Not all coupes will have the 295 its on a special package on the coupe.
I guess they will have alot of extra G35's lying around that don't have this special package. Why would someone say "I think I'll take the slower one please."

-I'm assuming this is a factory installed option, not dealer.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:14 PM

I guess they will have alot of extra G35's lying around that don't have this special package. Why would someone say "I think I'll take the slower one please."
Most people buy the car (entry level luxo cars) cause they like how it looks and it gives them some badge status. Most don't know or care what Brembos are, don't race, don't go to car shows/meets etc etc. Now the G35 probably attract more enthusiasts than some other cars but lets not forget we budget our money and a 32k G35c may be in someones hands instead of a 38k one.

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Who gets a 28K G35? What's the point of getting a car if you are going to leave everything out? And of course the G35 has more aftermarket goodies out. The TL is not even a year old yet.

Otherwise, I agree; there is not bad choice here
Good question. While Acura has loaded their cars with only NAV as an option, there are still TONS of people that don't want or need many of the features included. Some people hate sunroofs, don't want leather, don't want NAV, don't want or need heated seats etc etc.
So the G35 is a STEAL at 28k. You can get a leather/roof model for 30k.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Yeah, the G35 doesn't resemble the Z at all.
I'm pretty sure everybody here is comparing the Tl to the 4 DOOR G35, which looks nothing like a 350Z
Old 08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Most people buy the car (entry level luxo cars) cause they like how it looks and it gives them some badge status. Most don't know or care what Brembos are, don't race, don't go to car shows/meets etc etc. Now the G35 probably attract more enthusiasts than some other cars but lets not forget we budget our money and a 32k G35c may be in someones hands instead of a 38k one.

Good question. While Acura has loaded their cars with only NAV as an option, there are still TONS of people that don't want or need many of the features included. Some people hate sunroofs, don't want leather, don't want NAV, don't want or need heated seats etc etc.
So the G35 is a STEAL at 28k. You can get a leather/roof model for 30k.
I agree
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

No sarcasm intended, but was the G35 even intended to be remotely luxurious? Why if it is a near luxury brand like Acura, does it offer cloth seats and sell to rental cars companies? I don't recall Lexus or MB offering cloth seats or rentals. I don't know about BMW...
The G35 does not come in cloth unless special ordered.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

and this.....

BJ
Sorry but a loaded up Accord EX interior is not weak it actually looks great and had high quality materials as well.

Quick Reply: Acura TL or Infiniti G35